Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?

Voters
1663. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never worn a bike helmet

    178 10.70%
  • I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped

    94 5.65%
  • I've always worn a helmet

    645 38.79%
  • I didn't wear a helmet, but now do

    406 24.41%
  • I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions

    340 20.44%
Page 315 of 349 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,875 of 8719
  1. #7851
    Senior Member elcruxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    mordor
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro
    Posts
    709
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    With ALL of my experiments performed to reassure mankind that gravity does indeed still exist in my almost 64 years on this marble, I should have reacted much better in my latest fall over on 5/24/2014 and my crash on 5/29/2014. Slow, very slow learner.

    The helmet afforded the cushion that allowed my head to BOUNCE up on the 5/29/2014 crash without suffering ill effects to my mellon. Can't say that about the helmet though.
    Not sure what you are trying to say here... How did your helmet help your friend?

    (Any geek should know mellon means friend in elvish)

  2. #7852
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,941
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oldtry

    Be prepared to be dissed since you reported a personal incident that you say a helmet helped prevent injury. The anti helmet crowd dont like reports like yours. In fact they hate real world reports. They would rather spew random "studies" that generally have preconceived conclusions to support their postition.

  3. #7853
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,941
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    elcrux

    I am stating that to be fun and enjoyable, a bike ride should allow you the time to look around and enjoy the scenery etc. Yes be aware of other cyclist or walkers, but full 100% attention to biking is not needed. For a professional, yes, but not the ave cyclist.

  4. #7854
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,698
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I crashed in a race last Monday. My helmet didn't save my life. Scraped up my left knee/shin and bruised my patella. Not gonna wear kneepads for the race tomorrow.

    -living on the edge.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  5. #7855
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,941
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a thread under a different heading, someone pointed out the fact that some of us are and are called old coots, because we are smart enough to survive. I replied that he was absolutely right. Among the reasons that I am and old coot is the fact I am intelligent enough to logically decide what safety equiptment I need to use. On both my bent and my trike I wear a helmet. And while I use cycling shoes I do not usually clip in on my bent. But because of possible leg suck on bumps I always clip in on my trike. Old age and logic will alway trump youth and and it will never happen to me attitude.

  6. #7856
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,698
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I currently have two bikes with bmx platforms, three with SPDs, and two with clips and straps. Not sure what that has to do with safety or longevity, though

    Back in my 20s I would wear a helmet every ride cuz I would do crazy stuff every ride. Now that I'm on 50's doorstep I do a lot of riding that's as safe as jogging - no lid needed.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  7. #7857
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    What about fighter pilots? Speed AND reflexes in 3 dimensions. We weren't exactly designed for that. Don't underestimate human capability WHEN there is total focus on the task at hand.
    Fighter pilots usually also have a lot of room to work with, and are aided by all kinds of technology while flying. It's still quite a feat to fly at super-sonic speeds, of course, and I don't underestimate if, but I also don't underestimate the limitations natural selection put on us.

  8. #7858
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,698
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Why do fighter pilots wear helmets but 747 pilots, as well as most commercial and general aviation pilots, don't?

    Perhaps we should compare/contrast the varied PPE levels of airplane pilots with those of bicycle pilots...
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  9. #7859
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,155
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    oldtry

    Be prepared to be dissed since you reported a personal incident that you say a helmet helped prevent injury. The anti helmet crowd dont like reports like yours. In fact they hate real world reports. They would rather spew random "studies" that generally have preconceived conclusions to support their postition.
    No problem.....I post to be dissed. Enjoy stirring the pot when I can.

    I was going to mention that now I wear 2 helmets so the next time I bounce right back up on to my bike's wheels.

  10. #7860
    905
    905 is offline
    waiting for my name tag 905's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    With ALL of my experiments performed to reassure mankind that gravity does indeed still exist in my almost 64 years on this marble, I should have reacted much better in my latest fall over on 5/24/2014 and my crash on 5/29/2014. Slow, very slow learner.

    The helmet afforded the cushion that allowed my head to BOUNCE up on the 5/29/2014 crash without suffering ill effects to my mellon.
    When I get older losing my hair
    Many years from now
    I will make a study of gravity
    If it falls down, it just might be me
    Bouncing my melon of off the ground
    Will you stop and see
    If I'm still lucid, if I can count
    Over sixty-three?

    You'll be older too
    And if you still can post
    I could reply to you

    It should be dandy, riding around
    Helmet hair or not
    You can knit a jersey that will match my lid
    Wait 'til my birthday, 'til then keep it hid
    We could play marbles, in our spare time
    It needn't be a bore
    Will you still need me, will you still heed me
    When I'm sixty-four?
    my personal FAQ – bikereader.com/FAQ.html

  11. #7861
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    Why do fighter pilots wear helmets but 747 pilots, as well as most commercial and general aviation pilots, don't?

    Perhaps we should compare/contrast the varied PPE levels of airplane pilots with those of bicycle pilots...
    Because fighter pilots can eject from a plane if something goes wrong and you definitely have to have a helmet to survive the ejection and parachute landing process.
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  12. #7862
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    21,199
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by San Rensho View Post
    Because fighter pilots can eject from a plane if something goes wrong and you definitely have to have a helmet to survive the ejection and parachute landing process.
    That's part of the reason. The other is that fighter cockpits aren't fully pressurized, so pilots need to breath from a mask, they also need ear phones and a microphone, along with a sun/glare visor with usually a heads up display. So when all is said and done, a helmet combining all these functions is easier than trying to attach a bunch of gadgets to the head.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  13. #7863
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,155
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 905 View Post
    When I get older losing my hair
    Many years from now
    I will make a study of gravity
    If it falls down, it just might be me
    Bouncing my melon of off the ground
    Will you stop and see
    If I'm still lucid, if I can count
    Over sixty-three?

    You'll be older too
    And if you still can post
    I could reply to you

    It should be dandy, riding around
    Helmet hair or not
    You can knit a jersey that will match my lid
    Wait 'til my birthday, 'til then keep it hid
    We could play marbles, in our spare time
    It needn't be a bore
    Will you still need me, will you still heed me
    When I'm sixty-four?
    Now I'll never get to sleep.....

  14. #7864
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,941
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a simple question.

    Why is it that the people that post here against helmets, and ride without them, think NOTHING will ever happen to them. Do you have a magic neckless around you neck that protects you from the unexpected. Why do you think in a totally unexpected situation (schidt happens) your head will never hit the concrete? Wouldnt you rather have a helmet on that reduces sudden death to a really bad concussion that you can recover from?

  15. #7865
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,941
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a simple question.

    Why is it that the people that post here against helmets, and ride without them, think NOTHING will ever happen to them. Do you have a magic neckless around you neck that protects you from the unexpected. Why do you think in a totally unexpected situation (schidt happens) your head will never hit the concrete? Wouldnt you rather have a helmet on that reduces sudden death to a really bad concussion that you can recover from?

  16. #7866
    Junior Member Huffamoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone said: I don't wear a helmet because I choose not to. I could respect that. But to try to warp facts and make up stories to try to convince others that its safer to ride with out a helmet is disingenuous at best.

  17. #7867
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Just a simple question.

    Why is it that the people that post here against helmets, and ride without them, think NOTHING will ever happen to them. Do you have a magic neckless around you neck that protects you from the unexpected. Why do you think in a totally unexpected situation (schidt happens) your head will never hit the concrete? Wouldnt you rather have a helmet on that reduces sudden death to a really bad concussion that you can recover from?
    I wouldn't say "nothing will ever happen" but the odds are strongly against my head hitting the concrete. I don't "post against helmets" though - I think that a person may reasonably choose to wear or not wear a helmet in a given set of circumstances.

    I once had an accident on a motorcycle. Long story short, the brakes failed (old bike) in a perfect storm of a bad situation (schidt does happen), and I was launched over the car I rear ended, sailing some 15 feet high at around 65 mph. I was wearing a helmet, but it didn't jar against the concrete and wasn't scratched up so I don't credit it with saving me from injury or death. I walked away without a scratch.

    I've had a few bicycle crashes of varying severity but never hit my head, or helmet as the case may be. It's a useful piece of safety equipment but very much secondary to other factors.

  18. #7868
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,941
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be great to go thru life fat dumb and happy thinking nothing will ever happen to you. Too bad that those here that think they are invincible didnt spend time in the boy scouts. "Be Prepared" That would mean wearing a helmet when cycling.

  19. #7869
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,941
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In one of the bike forums on trikes, a new triker wrote in and told us how much he was enjoying his trike. Several of us wrote back that he should be sure and get shoes and pedals so he could clip in to prevent leg suck. A few day later he was man enough to write back in, and admit that he had a case of leg suck that fortunately was not too bad. Altho he didnt say so Im sure that he might have figured that leg suck wasnt a big deal, and probably wouldnt happen to him.

    The same will happen to the no helmet crowd sooner or later.

  20. #7870
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    21,199
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    ...

    The same will happen to the no helmet crowd sooner or later.
    Feel free to wear your helmet and enjoy tour rides, but please spare us from your "you'll crash and die one day" sermons because they have nothing to do with reality. Has it not occurred to you that people have been riding bicycles without helmets for about a century, and millions ride continue to do so all over the world, including the USA and the actual incidence of head injuries has always been, and remains relatively low.

    Yes, it can happen, but we face real and more likely risks every day.

    Do helmets reduce the chance of head injury in the event of a crash, yes. But that doesn't in any imply the kind of you're likely to crash one day BS you continue to spout. It's the patronizing BS from jerks like you (not you, other jerks) that fuels the flames of the helmet debate.

    Anyway speaking of the risk of head injury, the bulk of those of us who don't wear helmets don't ride around with our heads sticking out the back of our vehicles at about vehicular bumper height. Taking head injury advice from someone who does seems kind of ridiculous.
    Last edited by FBinNY; 06-09-14 at 06:56 PM.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  21. #7871
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada, PG BC
    My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Posts
    886
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Feel free to wear your helmet and enjoy tour rides, but please spare us from your "you'll crash and die one day" sermons because they have nothing to do with reality. Has it not occurred to you that people have been riding bicycles without helmets for about a century, and millions ride continue to do so all over the world, including the USA and the actual incidence of head injuries has always been, and remains relatively low.

    Yes, it can happen, but we face real and more likely risks every day.

    Do helmets reduce the chance of head injury in the event of a crash, yes. But that doesn't in any imply the kind of you're likely to crash one day BS you continue to spout. It's the patronizing BS from jerks like you (not you, other jerks) that fuels the flames of the helmet debate.

    Anyway speaking of the risk of head injury, the bulk of those of us who don't wear helmets don't ride around with our heads sticking out the back of our vehicles at about vehicular bumper height. Taking head injury advice from someone who does seems kind of ridiculous.


    ????? And now who is being a jerk? Even tho you tried to not make it personal, it still ended that way...
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination. I do like my beer, so sometimes I do end up leaning on the lamp-post...

  22. #7872
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    21,199
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
    ????? And now who is being a jerk? Even tho you tried to not make it personal, it still ended that way...
    Yes, after multiple and constantly repeated posts implying that those who don't wear helmets are idiots I finally had enough and lashed back.

    Whether one wears a helmet or not, or makes ANY decisions different from what people may agree with or not, there's no call for repeatedly saying things to the effect of "I can't understand......" Nobody cares whether anyone understands or not. We all live our lives our way, and make decisions accordingly. This applies not only to bike helmets, but to EVERY aspect of life.

    But Maybe I'm wrong about this, and I should start regularly posting that I can't understand what people are thinking when they----whatever.

    I'm tired of being called anti-helmet, because I'm not, but I am adamantly anti helmet zealotry.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  23. #7873
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada, PG BC
    My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Posts
    886
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed a change, that you exemplify FBinNY... And I do believe you are actually more right than others at either end of the spectrum (including me a year+ ago), in general... Nobody has said lately, that wearing a helmet actually increases your chances at head injury, and it seems to me that most "the helmet saved my life" coments have been modified to "maybe the helmet lowered some of the bad effect of head hitting the ground" compared to without a helmet... Thus I think there has been some headway... in general in this thread.

    EDIT; and yes mconolunx playing devils advocate walks the middle ground pretty well too...
    Last edited by 350htrr; 06-09-14 at 08:06 PM.
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination. I do like my beer, so sometimes I do end up leaning on the lamp-post...

  24. #7874
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    4,442
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffamoose View Post
    If someone said: I don't wear a helmet because I choose not to. I could respect that. But to try to warp facts and make up stories to try to convince others that its safer to ride with out a helmet is disingenuous at best.
    I find it amusing that some here say there is NO EVIDENCE that helmets do much good in a crash, then the next day a claim is made that helmets can cause harm even though there is STILL no evidence that helmets do anything worth wearing them. If there is no evidence, then there is no evidence. I think. No matter. I am amused.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  25. #7875
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    21,199
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    I find it amusing that some here say there is NO EVIDENCE that helmets do much good in a crash, then the next day a claim is made that helmets can cause harm even though there is STILL no evidence that helmets do anything worth wearing them. If there is no evidence, then there is no evidence. I think. No matter. I am amused.
    It's not that there's no evidence. There's plenty of evidence. The devil is in how to interpret it.

    IMO- there are three legitimate avenues of debate

    1- what is the real risk of head injury when bicycling, compared to other daily risks we face every day. Regardless of any facts or real evidence, there will always be debate because we all have different risk thresholds and also because the issue is emotionally charged.

    2- what is the extent of protection helmets actually offer? To what extent to they reduce impact G-force, and what can or should users expect. Bulletproof vests are rated for the type of ammunition they protect against, and it's known what they do and don't protect against. But nobody seems willing to offer a quantifiable range of speeds and types of impacts helmets an mitigate effectively, and what their users can expect.

    3- what helmets, by general design and construction class, or brand offer more or less protection? What are the benefits and drawbacks of differing helmets? Do better shells make a difference, is there less protection in the highly vented versions, etc.

    This forum has a tremendous amount of specific and detailed discussion of the most minute aspects of bicycle equipment, yet helmet discussion seems to be mostly of the "wear a helmet, or risk dying" type (pro and con).

    So my question to helmet advocates is, don't you care about how effective helmets are, or do you assign this question the same import as a chain lube discussion? Or put another way, if you wear a helmet, wouldn't your efforts be better spent toward ensuring that you're getting all the protection you expect, rather than lecturing others about what they should do.

    As helmet zealots are always saying, it's your head.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •