Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?

Voters
1670. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never worn a bike helmet

    178 10.66%
  • I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped

    94 5.63%
  • I've always worn a helmet

    648 38.80%
  • I didn't wear a helmet, but now do

    408 24.43%
  • I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions

    342 20.48%
Page 326 of 350 FirstFirst ... 226276316324325326327328336 ... LastLast
Results 8,126 to 8,150 of 8743
  1. #8126
    Senior Member elcruxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    mordor
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro
    Posts
    750
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    The fully kitted roadies that post here against helmet reminds me of the sun deck Charlies in a very expensive ski jacket. The sit on the sun deck at the ski lodge with high priced skis that probably have never touched snow. The too know it all.
    Go on, point out here and now the fully kitted roadies. You can't can you? You never can. You open with a silly statement fit for a five year old and can never actually even point out the individuals you try to mock.

    I could bet a 100$ that you could not point out a poster here who fits in your example and get it right.

  2. #8127
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,741
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Sun deck Charlies? Is that a thing? Is there skiing in Nebraska? Do they wear helmets?

    I know about as much about Nebraska as rydabent knows about riding a bike to a store/bank/post office/date/business meeting.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  3. #8128
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,876
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
    Today I learned:

    Americans are made of sugar (which actually fits the obesity epidemic pretty well...)

    Thankfully I live in a nation which is known for its hardiness and guts. I could not take such pansy assery. "Ooo I can't ride in the rain in case I get water on my prescious skin!"
    HAHAHA!!!! Well you won't hear me complaining about what you said! I think today though Americans are made of corn syrup not sugar!!

    I ride in the rain, I don't care a whole lot about it unless it's a downpour with lots of lightening going on.

    The older our nation becomes the more weenified we become. That happened to the Romans too and everyone knows what happened to them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  4. #8129
    905
    905 is offline
    waiting for my name tag 905's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    carinus

    You say helmets damage the image of cycling. I say it is the complete opposite. In fact I say that anyone that sees a cyclist riding with a helmet thinks that there is a person that is really into cycling.
    I think you're both right. It's almost like matter and antimatter colliding. If years of watching sf have taught me anything, it's that the safest place to be is very far away from the explosion. My fervent wish is that you won't ever visit the Large Hadron Collider at the same time.

    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    The older our nation becomes the more weenified we become. That happened to the Romans too and everyone knows what happened to them.
    It's true. As Edward Gibbon wrote in the final volume of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, "The Vandals, Visigoths and Huns had a weenie roast."
    Last edited by 905; 06-29-14 at 04:07 PM. Reason: What about us Ostrogoths, are we chopped liver?
    my personal FAQ – bikereader.com/FAQ.html

  5. #8130
    Senior Member Gothic Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    Hollandia Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    So are bullet-proof vests on cops,
    Well, yes, but to be fair comfort is a big reason why most patrol officers wear a type II vest under the uniform shirt, rather than going with a bulky type III or type IV. Cops generally wear type III or type IV only if the situation specifically warrants or they are patrolling a really bad area. Also, the phrase bulletproof is kind of irritating, because no modern armor is or should be billed as such by professionals, as no armor is totally bulletproof. For example, a type III vest is rated to protect against 9mm rounds, but 9mm rounds can and do sometimes get through the armor.
    oxygen tanks for firemen,
    Also used specifically for situations requiring a dedicated oxygen supply
    ropes, harnesses, and hardware for mountain climbing or rock climbing,
    Aside from a small pile of rocks, there isn't a type of rock or mountain climbing I can think of that doesn't specifically require such equipment, because one slip and you can easily go down.
    life jackets on boats or skis,
    I've been in a boat without a life jacket before, and it wasn't a big deal. Granted, it was my family's boat. That said, now that I'm older and have more knowledge, I'd wear one, because if I go overboard I might well have been knocked overboard or otherwise injured.
    and other uncountable safety accoutrements that people routinely wear and might never actually need.
    The thing is, a lot of safety accoutrements are situational. I consider helmets the same. Cruising down the beach boulevard, shopping, or heading to my college for class/work? Not really any need, and I don't wear a helmet during these rides (which make up almost all of my bike riding). Mountain biking? Definitely a need, and I would never go on a mountain biking trail without a helmet. I don't race, but if I did I would always wear a helmet. Helmets aren't bad per se, I just don't feel the need to always wear one. I wear it when I'm doing something particularly dangerous.
    "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
    -Rowena Ravenclaw

  6. #8131
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,155
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lester

    Well-------------I agree with the fact you know very little. I ride somewhere between two and three thousand miles a year depending on the weather. And I DO run all those errands you claim I dont, except on a date. I have been married 47 years, and my wife dont let me date. And I do wear my helmet on all those rides.

  7. #8132
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are bullet-proof vests on cops, oxygen tanks for firemen
    I suspect that must be one of the reasons they don't wear those by default, at least not around here

    ropes, harnesses, and hardware for mountain climbing or rock climbing
    I wonder if they would use those if they were climbing bicycle sized rocks.

    life jackets on boats and skis
    Not that it says much, but utility boatists generally don't wear life jackets.

    If there is no indisputable proof that bike helmets prevent head injuries, then by definition there is no indisputable proof for the opposite viewpoint.
    There's this thing called the burden of proof, and bicycle helmets advocates are very reluctant to make claims about their helmets. But even if we ignore that, bicycle helmets only protect a small part of the body, so even if they would be 100% effective in protecting the upper head, they would still be fairly ineffective IMO.

    Maybe. Does everyone get distracted from "real" safety issues? Half the people? 10%? Or just a SWAG?
    People who promote helmets the loudest are often clueless about bicycle safety. Anyone who mentions helmets before (or even without) methods of accident prevention is, in my book. In fact, anyone who promotes helmets as anything other than an additional safety measure, should probably read up a bit on cycling safety.

    Bikes, with only two wheels pretty much WANT to fall over. Test this out. Take your bike, stand it straight up, then let go. What is the bikes "natural" rest position? Yup...on it's side. Now picture yourself ON it.
    Ironically you give yourself a big fat hint to the fact that you ignore that the cyclist is for all intends an purposes a very important part of the bicycle. It's for example the motor of the vehicle, and when I picture myself on a bicycle in rest, I've one leg on the ground to keep my bicycle-cyclist system in a very stable upright position. When in motion, a bicycle wants to stay up because of the two wheels which function as gyroscopes.

    It is not easy to define "common" cyclist in the USofA.
    I think "cycling enthusiast" and "poverty stricken" will cover most cyclists in the US of A, but that's just my somewhat informed guess. Also, the common American cyclist isn't that relevant to define the common cyclist. Which would be a utility cyclist, that will generally ride a boring bicycle at fairly low speeds.

    Good points, many highly debatable IMO.
    Sure, but that's beside the point. Those are good reasons why a lot of people dislike helmets, that go beyond the BHA nonsense that people don't wear helmets because they're superficial vain idiots who care more about their hair than their safety. Also, if someone claims that in their experience helmets are uncomfortable and a hassle, that's really not debatable.
    Last edited by CarinusMalmari; 06-30-14 at 04:37 AM.

  8. #8133
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're both right. It's almost like matter and antimatter colliding. If years of watching sf have taught me anything, it's that the safest place to be is very far away from the explosion. My fervent wish is that you won't ever visit the Large Hadron Collider at the same time.
    If you look past my Dutch charm, which involve a lot of wielding my opinion like a blunt ax and beating people senseless with it, you'll see that I'm not oppositely charged to a BHA. (Still, you might want to wear a properly certified helmets when the Geneva Bicycle Helmet convention happens.)

  9. #8134
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    4,647
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just cyclists resisting helmets.

    11 Reasons People Don't Wear Helmets While Horseback Riding


    I like reason #5:
    It will mess up my hair!

    And something I didn't know:

    "Riding helmets are made specifically to withstand a fall from a height or a blow to the head by a hoof. Bicycle, hockey, baseball and other helmets are not made to protect the head from these incidents."

    So for the "no evidence that helmets save lives" contingent here, this opinion concurs. If a bike helmet won't help falling from a horse or taking a hoof to the melon then there sure is a narrow range of head-bumps where a cycling helmet would do any good.

    Reason #6: I am an experienced rider.

    HaHa. How experienced is the horse? At least my bike doesn't have a mind of it's own.

    I won't spoil any more. Check out the link. Sound familiar?
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  10. #8135
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,741
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I bet some cycling helmets would work for horsey riding. Not road riding helmets, but some BMX or city biking helmets. Some of those Bern bike helmets even look like horse riding helmets.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  11. #8136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Posts
    5,037
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    I bet some cycling helmets would work for horsey riding. Not road riding helmets, but some BMX or city biking helmets. Some of those Bern bike helmets even look like horse riding helmets.
    Maybe, but I suspect one would want a helmet with a more substantial outer shell to withstand hoof impacts. Among bike helmets I'd opt for my old Bell Biker over any current model.

    One of our club riders was involved a while back in a collision with an equestrian. But the horse chose to come down on her thigh with its hoof so we didn't get any indication of bike helmet effectiveness in that situation.

  12. #8137
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,551
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    It's not just cyclists resisting helmets.

    11 Reasons People Don't Wear Helmets While Horseback Riding


    I like reason #5:
    It will mess up my hair!

    And something I didn't know:

    "Riding helmets are made specifically to withstand a fall from a height or a blow to the head by a hoof. Bicycle, hockey, baseball and other helmets are not made to protect the head from these incidents."

    So for the "no evidence that helmets save lives" contingent here, this opinion concurs. If a bike helmet won't help falling from a horse or taking a hoof to the melon then there sure is a narrow range of head-bumps where a cycling helmet would do any good.

    Reason #6: I am an experienced rider.

    HaHa. How experienced is the horse? At least my bike doesn't have a mind of it's own.

    I won't spoil any more. Check out the link. Sound familiar?
    I like the one that claims that Cowboys "of yesteryear" would have worn riding helmets if they'd known enough about it

  13. #8138
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    4,647
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who WON'T be wearing bicycle helmets like...ever:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=big+...w=1366&bih=623

    and...people who wore helmets before drying their hair first:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=mens...w=1366&bih=623
    Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-01-14 at 08:36 AM.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  14. #8139
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,155
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lester

    This is a cycling forum. I really dont care one whit what the hay burner set wears. Why is it the anti helmet crowd always tries to bring in sports that have nothing to do with cycling? If you want to bring in the fact that other sports have safety equiptment that is fine, but that should be as far afield as this thread should go.

  15. #8140
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    4,647
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Lester

    This is a cycling forum. I really dont care one whit what the hay burner set wears. Why is it the anti helmet crowd always tries to bring in sports that have nothing to do with cycling? If you want to bring in the fact that other sports have safety equipment that is fine, but that should be as far afield as this thread should go.
    ^^This is a tad narrow minded. And no fun at all.

    We all have heads that are all pretty much the same when it comes to surviving physical forces applied to them. How those heads react to mishaps in other sports gives us what is called a "frame of reference". Perhaps you have heard of that term?

    I've been here on BF since 2007 and so far, like you, no one cares one whit how I feel about what others post here.
    Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-03-14 at 10:38 PM.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  16. #8141
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,460
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Lester

    This is a cycling forum. I really dont care one whit what the hay burner set wears. Why is it the anti helmet crowd always tries to bring in sports that have nothing to do with cycling? If you want to bring in the fact that other sports have safety equiptment that is fine, but that should be as far afield as this thread should go.
    You may be suffering from amnesia: there are plenty of posts here where pro-helmeteers bring up helmet use in other activities to support their assertions. Motorcycle helmets come immediately to mind, and someone posted a study regarding tangential force as it applies to brain injury which focused on skateboard helmets.

    tl;dr rydabent translation: Why is it the pro-helmeteers always try to bring in sports that have nothing to do with cycling?
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  17. #8142
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,741
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I wear horse helmets on my tall bike all the time. Their designed for higher falls.

    Bike helmets only tested for two meter drops.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  18. #8143
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    7,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week I drove a golf ball into the back of another golfer's head from 250 yards. Careless of me, it knocked the poor guy out of his golf cart.

    Fortunately he wasn't seriously hurt, is a friend of mine, and won't be suing me. But it has made me realise that golfers shouldn't be allowed on the course unless they're wearing a helmet. After all, we can't be too careful...
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  19. #8144
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,876
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    ^^This is a tad narrow minded. And no fun at all.

    .
    I disagree, I thought it was quite amusing!!! LOL!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  20. #8145
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,460
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Last week I drove a golf ball into the back of another golfer's head from 250 yards. Careless of me, it knocked the poor guy out of his golf cart.

    Fortunately he wasn't seriously hurt, is a friend of mine, and won't be suing me. But it has made me realise that golfers shouldn't be allowed on the course unless they're wearing a helmet. After all, we can't be too careful...
    Be the first. Start a trend -- get one of those white aero helmets with the speed dimples.
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  21. #8146
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,876
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    Be the first. Start a trend -- get one of those white aero helmets with the speed dimples.
    Yeah, Like the white with the speed dimples idea, then maybe some golfer will take his club to his head thinking it's a golf ball!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  22. #8147
    Senior Member curbtender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area, East bay
    My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Posts
    3,063
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured at some point people would hit each other in the head to prove their point...
    “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.”
    ― George Orwell

  23. #8148
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    4,647
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Last week I drove a golf ball into the back of another golfer's head from 250 yards.
    I am extremely cautious of other golfers when I throw my clubs. And my slices are more likely to require hockey shin guards than helmets. My biggest fear golfing is getting a citation from Wildlife and Fisheries for harassing the geese in the lake as my over-water shots tend to skip along the surface through the waterfowl outside of hunting season.

    In truth I figured out how to save a ton of money and time golfing about thirty years ago. I go to the sporting goods store, pick out a decent set of clubs (nothing too fancy) and drive directly to the lakefront - toss all of them off of the seawall at once. Saves a ton of dough on greens fees and an ungodly amount of free time.
    Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-03-14 at 10:49 PM.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  24. #8149
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,876
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    I figured at some point people would hit each other in the head to prove their point...
    Great idea, lets do it, first I swing the club at your bare head, then again with a helmet on, and you tell me which hurt worse; then we'll switch, you hit me bareheaded and with a helmet on then I tell you which hurt worse and then we'll report here if we are pro or anti helmet after that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  25. #8150
    905
    905 is offline
    waiting for my name tag 905's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    Great idea, lets do it, first I swing the club at your bare head, then again with a helmet on, and you tell me which hurt worse; then we'll switch, you hit me bareheaded and with a helmet on then I tell you which hurt worse and then we'll report here if we are pro or anti helmet after that.
    I'd be staunchly pro-helmet too if someone was hitting me on the head with a club. Don't know much about golf, but any game where you're wielding implements called irons and woods suggests taking whatever cover is available in the event of demonstrations of the sort you're suggesting.



    Any excuse to post links to videos from Caddyshack is not to be missed.
    Last edited by 905; 07-04-14 at 01:59 AM. Reason: RIP Harold Ramis
    my personal FAQ – bikereader.com/FAQ.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •