Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?

Voters
1670. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never worn a bike helmet

    178 10.66%
  • I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped

    94 5.63%
  • I've always worn a helmet

    648 38.80%
  • I didn't wear a helmet, but now do

    408 24.43%
  • I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions

    342 20.48%
Page 334 of 350 FirstFirst ... 234284324332333334335336344 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,350 of 8743
  1. #8326
    Senior Member italktocats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarinusMalmari View Post
    Well, I meant they usually don't state explicitly that cycling accidents and by extension cycling without a helmet is often lethal. But If you look at the references to organ donation and those illusive cemeteries and nursing home filled with people who choose to ride without a helmet, it's clear the lot of them believe (at least at some level) that bare-headed cycling is so dangerous that it would be safer to take up base-jumping as a hobby.

    It's just another way they're clueless about cycling safety.

    Attachment 397692
    europe is an organ harvast field

  2. #8327
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,900
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by italktocats View Post
    europe is an organ harvast field
    Actually China is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  3. #8328
    Senior Member italktocats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    Actually China is.
    not enough genetic viarity for most donors

  4. #8329
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,900
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by italktocats View Post
    not enough genetic viarity for most donors
    Actually you're mistaken. China is the number black market donor in the world, they use prisoners organs to sell, some of the prisoners are completely harvested and thus killed of course, others just partial organs and live afterwards. Adults and children have been kidnapped in China and either died from an illegal organ donor or found alive missing certain things. China until 2007 was the number one importer and exporter of black market organs, there is evidence they may still be the number 1 despite agreeing to international pressure to stop the practice because in that agreement no time frame was ever set forth to stop the practice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  5. #8330
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm intrigued by the 20% who sometimes wear a helmet. Do those who picked that response extend the same logic to car seatbelts?

  6. #8331
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,812
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliper View Post
    I'm intrigued by the 20% who sometimes wear a helmet. Do those who picked that response extend the same logic to car seatbelts?
    I do. 1951 Pontiac, 1927 model T, city bus - No Seatbelt. Car that's equipped with seatbelts - Yes seatbelt. Race car - 5 pt harness.

    Somewhat similarly, while riding bikes.

    Easy cruise on dry pavement at 12mph or less average speed - no helmet needed. Spirited ride, racing, group rides, riding on snow or ice - typical bicycle helmet. Riding DH, DJ or Enduro - Full Face Helmet!!!

    Personal Protective Equipment for cycling is a spectrum. It starts at zero protection needed then goes on up to full face helmet and full leathers with body armor. It doesn't start and end at bicycle helmet.

    I wore a bicycle helmet for practically every bicycle ride I did between 1988 and 1998. But I've mellowed a bit in my old age, some bike riding endeavors I partake in are about as dangerous to my head as jogging and I never wear a helmet for jogging, even trail running.
    Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-09-14 at 02:05 PM.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  7. #8332
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,567
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliper View Post
    I'm intrigued by the 20% who sometimes wear a helmet. Do those who picked that response extend the same logic to car seatbelts?
    Not really, though I don't bother with seatbelts when moving my car in the driveway, or pulling into the warehouse. Likewise with the bike, I wear a helmet for mtn biking because there are more surprises, (and I'm a lousy mtn biker), but not for general road riding. I used to wear hear protection (before modern helmets) when racing, and probably would today if riding in a peloton or close formation drafting, but rather than the helmet I risk manage by not riding in ways or with people that are more likely to cause crashes.

    Helmets are a risk management tool, but they're only a part of an overall risk management strategy.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  8. #8333
    Senior Member italktocats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    Actually you're mistaken. China is the number black market donor in the world, they use prisoners organs to sell, some of the prisoners are completely harvested and thus killed of course, others just partial organs and live afterwards. Adults and children have been kidnapped in China and either died from an illegal organ donor or found alive missing certain things. China until 2007 was the number one importer and exporter of black market organs, there is evidence they may still be the number 1 despite agreeing to international pressure to stop the practice because in that agreement no time frame was ever set forth to stop the practice.
    how does that create enough genetic diversity?


    and it happens all over the world, not just in china...

  9. #8334
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,900
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by italktocats View Post
    how does that create enough genetic diversity?


    and it happens all over the world, not just in china...
    Hmmm, was I not talking about illegal organ "donation" and not genetic diversity? And did I not say that China was the number 1, meaning of course there are other countries that do that? Are you missing something?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  10. #8335
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,567
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    Hmmm, was I not talking about illegal organ "donation" and not genetic diversity? ..... Are you missing something?
    I know this is a personal fight, but since it was asked, ------- I'm sort of missing the connection to helmets.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  11. #8336
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Elevation 666m Edmonton Canada
    My Bikes
    2013 Custom SA tourster
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's right. There isn't much diversity in China. They sneer at immigrant wannabees. Besides that, there is a big chunk of the population related to the Kublai Khan clan.

    And I've always sneered at the imaginary dangers professed by noggin toppers. Maybe they make sense in pelotons. Seat belts have been mandatory for like 35 years. but I wear them only the 1% of the time I see cops near me. Never got a ticket. I have used them most of the time on highways in the dangerous USA. ha . I have been in 6 fender benders, 0% with a seatbelt and basically zero movement, so zero injury. I have seen about 16 accidents and heard 9.

    On the bikes, I have slid out a dozen times. Zero times my head hit anything. My baseball cap has saved me a bunch of times from sign poles when parking the bike. doh

    My friends' old dad, with 2 ladies, fell asleep driving on the highway. The car rolled down the nice grassy knoll. Seat belts saved them from all but sprained wrists and bruises. They should have worn a helmet .....

  12. #8337
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,900
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I know this is a personal fight, but since it was asked, ------- I'm sort of missing the connection to helmets.
    And that's what makes this so funny!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  13. #8338
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I know this is a personal fight, but since it was asked, ------- I'm sort of missing the connection to helmets.
    Well, the helmet-hypers tend to believe that bare-headed cyclists are an important, if not the most important source of donated organs.

    Are Chinese people into cycling helmets, btw?

  14. #8339
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,812
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarinusMalmari View Post
    Are Chinese people into cycling helmets, btw?
    Only when absolutely necessary.





    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  15. #8340
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,812
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Hot models riding MTBs in a city square should always wear helmets, of course.

    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  16. #8341
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,812
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Dust mask can be nice on some days...

    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  17. #8342
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,812
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    OMG, 2009 group ride sans helmets. Imagine that happening in the USofA

    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  18. #8343
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    Hot models riding MTBs in a city square should always wear helmets, of course.

    Hrm, they did a good job to cancel out the dork, factor I have to admit. Not that the dork factor of helmets mean much to me, but still.

  19. #8344
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,610
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliper View Post
    I'm intrigued by the 20% who sometimes wear a helmet. Do those who picked that response extend the same logic to car seatbelts?
    Fair question, since I've wondered if the always-wear one folks extend that logic to driving in cars.

    I do always wear a seatbelt on public roads. It's the law, and I also don't want to give them an excuse to stop me because they think I'm suspicious with long hair, or don't like my car, or whatever their reasons are. I have a perfect driving record for about 15 years - it's nice, it would be senseless to jeopardize that for a seat belt.

  20. #8345
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,812
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    Fair question, since I've wondered if the always-wear one folks extend that logic to driving in cars.
    I've driven to/from trailheads with a helmet on my head. When gathering up gear for an MTB ride it's so much easier to put the helmet on my head so hands are free to tote the bike out to the car. That way I only have to make one trip out the the car instead of traipsing back and forth. Then afterwards I totally pull a rydabent and forget I even have the helmet on!
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  21. #8346
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,900
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    OMG, 2009 group ride sans helmets. Imagine that happening in the USofA


    WOW, look at that no helmets...and not a car in sight...imagine that happening in the USA. Of course it happens in the USA, I see flocks of people riding without helmets in parks all the time, but lets not talk about that lets just be moronic in our examples instead.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  22. #8347
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,900
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    Fair question, since I've wondered if the always-wear one folks extend that logic to driving in cars.

    I do always wear a seatbelt on public roads. It's the law, and I also don't want to give them an excuse to stop me because they think I'm suspicious with long hair, or don't like my car, or whatever their reasons are. I have a perfect driving record for about 15 years - it's nice, it would be senseless to jeopardize that for a seat belt.
    Huh? Getting a ticket for not having a seatbelt on does nothing to your insurance rates, it just shows up on the MV report as an equipment violation and for such there is no points either.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  23. #8348
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,812
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    WOW, look at that no helmets...and not a car in sight...imagine that happening in the USA. Of course it happens in the USA, I see flocks of people riding without helmets in parks all the time, but lets not talk about that lets just be moronic in our examples instead.
    My point is this was an organized group ride, called the "First Ride", a first ride of the year type of deal and participants were not required to wear helmets. Helmets are required on a vast majority of organized group rides here, even the ones on closed courses. There are only a couple of organized rides I know of around here that don't require helmets and they're fringe kinda rides.

    Maybe I should've bolded "group ride" in my caption so you could see past your whatever it is that's getting in the way of you seeing my point.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  24. #8349
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,900
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    My point is this was an organized group ride, called the "First Ride", a first ride of the year type of deal and participants were not required to wear helmets. Helmets are required on a vast majority of organized group rides here, even the ones on closed courses. There are only a couple of organized rides I know of around here that don't require helmets and they're fringe kinda rides.

    Maybe I should've bolded "group ride" in my caption so you could see past your whatever it is that's getting in the way of you seeing my point.
    your point was very vague, but now that you said what you said I apologize for jumping you. However I too have seen group rides here where no helmets were worn, but group rides usually sponsored by an LBS will require helmets, those rides sponsored by some sort of city awareness mumble jumble don't, or if they do no one cares.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  25. #8350
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,812
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    your point was very vague, but now that you said what you said I apologize for jumping you. However I too have seen group rides here where no helmets were worn, but group rides usually sponsored by an LBS will require helmets, those rides sponsored by some sort of city awareness mumble jumble don't, or if they do no one cares.
    I live in a city with all ages MHL so you can bet that city mumble jumble rides in my city require helmets.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •