Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?

Voters
1650. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never worn a bike helmet

    174 10.55%
  • I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped

    94 5.70%
  • I've always worn a helmet

    644 39.03%
  • I didn't wear a helmet, but now do

    402 24.36%
  • I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions

    336 20.36%
Page 8 of 349 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 8703
  1. #176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If youth is off the table as your excuse, then that leaves several, far less polite, possibilities. But hey, good luck on your crusade anyway.

  2. #177
    Kid A TurbineBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new thread -- excellent . I posted on the previous one as a pro-helmet, "everyone else is a moron" poster until I began to read....mostly thanks to closetbiker. It was difficult to change my opinion honestly, since I've been wearing a helmet since I can't even remember. The mind is resistant to change it seems.

    Though I still wear one while cycling, I no longer hold the same opinions, and I definitely don't view non-helmeted cyclists the same as I did before. I've additionally come to their defense when discussing helmet efficacy (or lack thereof).

    I consider this a positive result of a thread on BF -- so who ever said BF doesn't do good things?
    Cyclist, angler and aquarist

  3. #178
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    ... Paying attention to traffic will only get you so far...Helmets reduce head injury...
    well, if you have any data that shows when entire groups of people wear helmets, injuries are reduced, please provide it.

    In spite of what you may think, prevention is superior to mitigation, and the areas that have the least amount of injuries to cyclists, have the least amount of helmet use.
    Last edited by closetbiker; 10-16-11 at 06:12 PM.
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

  4. #179
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    The REAL reason you hate helmets has NOTHING todo with your ears, but what is between them. Paying attention to traffic will only get you so far, that is why i think some people here just got lucky enough to never get sense knocked into them.



    Helmets reduce head injury. You've taken some correlation study and implied causation - FAIL!



    Are your intended consequences to get people hurt? BEcause that seems like what you're doing trying to white-wash helmets as no good(even CAUSING injury)! IT is well known your links belong mostly to the anti-helmet brigade and it's well known one can prove what they want by referencing "sites" and links on the internet. The truth however is that helmets DO prevent head injury... i suggest you stop wasting time.



    Oh, thank you for excusing my behaviour. I like how you freely admit cycling can be dangerous and cite a "Cat 4" crit... well take a look around you on the road, that is right nobody is Cat anything... cat 5 plus even!

    If i'm too young then you must be an some relic from the early 1900s who thinks new fangled styyroofoam helmets and seatbelts are for wimps... do i have that right? Why don't you stop trying to insult me. Riding within your limits is where a LOT of accidents occur, do you fail to understand what the term "Accident" means? It means you don't know it's going to happen! Smart people do something to mitigate that risk, like ooo say, wear a helmet.
    Anyone else smell troll farts? I'm ignoring this dude...
    "There are many causes worth dying for. There are none worth killing for." Albert Camus

  5. #180
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
    If youth is off the table as your excuse, then that leaves several, far less polite, possibilities. But hey, good luck on your crusade anyway.
    Sure, right back at you...

    Quote Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
    well, if you have any data that shows when entire groups of people wear helmets, injuries are reduced, please provide it.

    In spite of what you may think, prevention is superior to mitigation, and the areas that have the least amount of injuries to cyclists, have the least amount of helmet use.
    Helmets are prevention. Stop confusing correlation(common things that happen to people who have helmets) with causation(things directly caused by helmets).

  6. #181
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
    Anyone else smell troll farts? I'm ignoring this dude...


    You got it backwards my boy, but go stick your head in the sand... at least it won't rip your precious ear off like a helmetless tumble on the asphalt would.

  7. #182
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,878
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post

    Helmets reduce head injury. You've taken some correlation study and implied causation - FAIL!
    Er, no. I have made no such implication. I have merely observed that as helmet use has become widespread, the numbers of injuries does not appear to have fallen. So if "helmets reduce head injury" as you so confidently assert without producing any evidence to support it, how do you come to that conclusion?

    And please try to stop insulting people in the thread, it doesn't help.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  8. #183
    Senior Member SweetLou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Queen City Bike is a local advocacy group where I live. They decided to have a little ride to show off some of the new bicycle infrastructure that has been put up near my home. The ride is just a short one, 10 or 11 miles. My physical therapist wants me to start riding longer rides, meaning 5-10 miles. The last couple of months, I have not ridden farther than 2.5 mile grocery trips.

    I saw this blog about the ride and thought it would be a good choice for my first "long" ride. The start is about .5 miles from my home and the route goes right by my home. If I couldn't make the 10 miles, I could easily get off of the bike and either walk or hop on a bus. I've also been interested in this group since I learned about them a few months back. They mostly like the things I like and I like their mission:
    Queen City Bike is a non-profit organization that promotes bicycling as a safe and healthy means of transportation and recreation in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. Queen City Bike’s all volunteer membership creates and implements a series of bicycling education and advocacy initiatives throughout the year.
    I also thought it might be a good way to meet some cyclists near me.

    Well, I was wrong. When I showed up at the meeting place, I was informed that helmets are required. I thought they wanted to promote that cycling was a "safe and healthy means of transportation and recreation". I was disappointed that I was unable to ride with them.

    I guess they would rather promote helmets than bicycle riding.
    Learn what's a platform pedal.

  9. #184
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Er, no. I have made no such implication. I have merely observed that as helmet use has become widespread, the numbers of injuries does not appear to have fallen. So if "helmets reduce head injury" as you so confidently assert without producing any evidence to support it, how do you come to that conclusion?

    And please try to stop insulting people in the thread, it doesn't help.
    You've nothing to complain about, nobody has insulted you! Again you fail to understand that one does not cause the other simply because it so happens that those things were observed in the same general space. Without realizing this you're lost and bound to make baseless claims such as "helmets cause injury".
    Last edited by electrik; 10-16-11 at 09:35 PM.

  10. #185
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    Queen City Bike is a local advocacy group where I live. They decided to have a little ride to show off some of the new bicycle infrastructure that has been put up near my home. The ride is just a short one, 10 or 11 miles. My physical therapist wants me to start riding longer rides, meaning 5-10 miles. The last couple of months, I have not ridden farther than 2.5 mile grocery trips.

    I saw this blog about the ride and thought it would be a good choice for my first "long" ride. The start is about .5 miles from my home and the route goes right by my home. If I couldn't make the 10 miles, I could easily get off of the bike and either walk or hop on a bus. I've also been interested in this group since I learned about them a few months back. They mostly like the things I like and I like their mission:

    I also thought it might be a good way to meet some cyclists near me.

    Well, I was wrong. When I showed up at the meeting place, I was informed that helmets are required. I thought they wanted to promote that cycling was a "safe and healthy means of transportation and recreation". I was disappointed that I was unable to ride with them.

    I guess they would rather promote helmets than bicycle riding.
    Yet another reason I don't do a lot of group rides. The helmet industry ( and yes, it's the industry that has pushed these ideas) has gotten to almost every advoccy group in this country, so instead of promoting how safe cycling actually is, they wind up promoting "safe cycling" which they claim required classes, helmets, mirrors, and assorted other unnecessary equipment.

    All you need is a bike to take a bike ride!
    "There are many causes worth dying for. There are none worth killing for." Albert Camus

  11. #186
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    Queen City Bike is a local advocacy group where I live. They decided to have a little ride to show off some of the new bicycle infrastructure that has been put up near my home. The ride is just a short one, 10 or 11 miles. My physical therapist wants me to start riding longer rides, meaning 5-10 miles. The last couple of months, I have not ridden farther than 2.5 mile grocery trips.

    I saw this blog about the ride and thought it would be a good choice for my first "long" ride. The start is about .5 miles from my home and the route goes right by my home. If I couldn't make the 10 miles, I could easily get off of the bike and either walk or hop on a bus. I've also been interested in this group since I learned about them a few months back. They mostly like the things I like and I like their mission:

    I also thought it might be a good way to meet some cyclists near me.

    Well, I was wrong. When I showed up at the meeting place, I was informed that helmets are required. I thought they wanted to promote that cycling was a "safe and healthy means of transportation and recreation". I was disappointed that I was unable to ride with them.

    I guess they would rather promote helmets than bicycle riding.
    They aren't prompting helmets.. haha - what probably happened is a rider without a helmet sustained a head injury on a ride and sued somebody. It's all about insurance at this point, why should they take you - a risk - on their ride when you're not going to bother with proper safety.

    Get a helmet, stop complaining. Either that or ride alone and take your chances.

  12. #187
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
    Yet another reason I don't do a lot of group rides. The helmet industry ( and yes, it's the industry that has pushed these ideas) has gotten to almost every advoccy group in this country, so instead of promoting how safe cycling actually is, they wind up promoting "safe cycling" which they claim required classes, helmets, mirrors, and assorted other unnecessary equipment.

    All you need is a bike to take a bike ride!
    This sounds like a conspiracy theory...If all you need is a bike, as you say, then go on your bike ride and stop complaining that when YOU want to join somebody's group you refuse to play by the rules - which are there for a GOOD reason.

  13. #188
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    ... try to stop insulting people in the thread, it doesn't help.
    You're right. He's entitled to his opinion, but he has little verifiable evidence that backs his opinion, and there's no point in being rude.

    I'm guessing he thinks if he kicks up enough fuss, he'll make a difference and maybe he's kinda right, it's just not the difference I think he'd like. By the way he's posted here I'd guess he's managed to turn people away from considering what he wants to say. That's different than if he had presented a decent argument backed up with some reasonable evidence.
    Last edited by closetbiker; 10-17-11 at 07:55 AM.
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

  14. #189
    Bicikli Huszár sudo bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    My Bikes
    '95 Novara Randonee
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if electrik wants to address my points about how the scalp functions, and the citations provided that helmets mitigate this effect and so actually may make rotational injury (believed to be a big cause of brain damage) worse, or whether he'd rather continue in pretending evidence against his position doesn't exist so he won't feel like a fool. I wonder if electrik disputes this position, if he can explain why they are trying to copy this scalp design in future helmets?
    "The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind. I love the bicycle. I always have. I can think of no sincere, decent human being, male or female, young or old, saint or sinner, who can resist the bicycle."

    - William Saroyan

  15. #190
    Senior Member SweetLou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
    Yet another reason I don't do a lot of group rides. The helmet industry ( and yes, it's the industry that has pushed these ideas) has gotten to almost every advoccy group in this country, so instead of promoting how safe cycling actually is, they wind up promoting "safe cycling" which they claim required classes, helmets, mirrors, and assorted other unnecessary equipment.

    All you need is a bike to take a bike ride!
    Yup, I don't do group rides for that reason, except for the shop I used to work at had a night ride where helmets were required. I did do those. The only other event that I know of that doesn't require helmets is RAGBRAI. They recommend helmets, but don't require them.

    I wished they would have let us know that helmets were required before I left the house. I actually asked in the comments section of the article. When I did, I got a message about waiting for the admin to approve the message. I don't know if it was declined or if the admin never got to it, but it was never put up on the site. Oh well, now I know and won't try to do any of their other rides. Nor will I become a member of Queen City Bike. I guess I'll just ride to Findlay Market by myself (once I am healed). Not that that bothers me, I was just kind of hoping to ride with others every once and a while.
    Learn what's a platform pedal.

  16. #191
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,878
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    You've nothing to complain about, nobody has insulted you! Again you fail to understand that one does not cause the other simply because it so happens that those things were observed in the same general space. Without realizing this you're lost and bound to make baseless claims such as "helmets cause injury".
    Who you insult is almost immaterial, by doing it you drag the thread into a slanging match instead of a discussion of the issues.

    I haven't said that helmets cause injury, though in some circumstances it must be possible.

    Again, given your confidence that helmets prevent injuries, what is your explanation for the fact that as more people wear helmets, the incidence of injury does not decrease?
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  17. #192
    Kid A TurbineBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, electrik! I'm glad you showed up here -- this helmet thread was far too logical there for a couple of pages. We need more emotion in here to carve things up!

    Do you wanna swap stories about a friend of a friend's friend who was wearing a helmet this one time, and who was involved in a crash who would have died, had he not been wearing a helmet? (afterall, the cop said so)

    Don't be afraid to share your feelings on this one. You really opened up about feminine side on that other thread -- it's just like stepping into a warm bath. Just keep going! Heck, we should discuss these kind of issues outside of BF if you want. We obviously watch some of the same films -- why just be a single-serving friend?

    Edit - It's worth mentioning that I do wear a helmet on every ride. I don't believe for 1 second that it mitigates any possibly severe head injury and/or concussion, because there's no evidence that suggests that this is possible.
    Last edited by TurbineBlade; 10-17-11 at 04:47 AM.
    Cyclist, angler and aquarist

  18. #193
    Kid A TurbineBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Hippiebrian

    Yet another reason I don't do a lot of group rides. The helmet industry ( and yes, it's the industry that has pushed these ideas) has gotten to almost every advoccy group in this country, so instead of promoting how safe cycling actually is, they wind up promoting "safe cycling" which they claim required classes, helmets, mirrors, and assorted other unnecessary equipment.

    All you need is a bike to take a bike ride!
    This sounds like a conspiracy theory...If all you need is a bike, as you say, then go on your bike ride and stop complaining that when YOU want to join somebody's group you refuse to play by the rules - which are there for a GOOD reason.
    Man, I can't believe I'm doing this -- but I may have to partially agree with electrik here. The bit of foam provided by a helmet has no credible efficacy to prevent head injury, but cycling courses are one thing that can prevent head injury. I'd much rather promote "safe cycling" courses to people than simply handing them a useless accessory and letting them "take a stab at it".
    Cyclist, angler and aquarist

  19. #194
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    I guess they would rather promote helmets than bicycle riding.
    They'd rather not get sued if something goes wrong on their ride.

    Do we know of any case where the organizers of a helmet optional event or situation have been successfully litigated against by an accident victim or their representatives? Because that's the fear. If there's cases like that out there, I can certainly see why there is usually a helmet requirement. If not, where's the scare tactics coming from? Insurance industry?

    So, all you bare head advocates: you'd probably argue that the helmet requirement might turn people off of safety instruction, like in this current anecdote, much like stats show MHL reduces ridership. Is it better that new riders don't take safety classes, or should they suck it up and get a helmet in order to join a class or seminar? Leave the helmet in the closet most of the time, but use it for events, racing, off-roading, etc.?
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  20. #195
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,878
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    They'd rather not get sued if something goes wrong on their ride.

    Do we know of any case where the organizers of a helmet optional event or situation have been successfully litigated against by an accident victim or their representatives? Because that's the fear. If there's cases like that out there, I can certainly see why there is usually a helmet requirement. If not, where's the scare tactics coming from? Insurance industry?
    I've never heard of such a thing, and in this country it would be easy to avoid by simply pointing out that riders are responsible for their own safety, that they should consider wearing a helmet etc. But you're a more litigious lot in the States, can't say it has never happened over there.

    So, all you bare head advocates: you'd probably argue that the helmet requirement might turn people off of safety instruction, like in this current anecdote, much like stats show MHL reduces ridership. Is it better that new riders don't take safety classes, or should they suck it up and get a helmet in order to join a class or seminar? Leave the helmet in the closet most of the time, but use it for events, racing, off-roading, etc.?
    My argument would be rather different. Any safety class that makes helmets mandatory before you can participate is sending the wrong message, namely that a helmet is the most important thing about bicycle safety. So my first thought would be to find a class run by someone more sensible. But classes are a good idea, especially for children, and I'm inclined to think that very young children should wear a helmet anyway, so I'd encourage people to sign up.

    And I do have an Atmos in the closet, and pull it out for events. And, earlier this year, for touring in Canada. Carting a helmet across the Atlantic and having it strapped to the back of the bike for 55 days, just so I could wear it for the three days I was in New Brunswick. Sigh.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  21. #196
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    They'd rather not get sued if something goes wrong on their ride.

    Do we know of any case where the organizers of a helmet optional event or situation have been successfully litigated against by an accident victim or their representatives? Because that's the fear. ...
    I'm not aware of any success either, just a few attempts to blame a cyclist for a lack of helmet, but each attempt failed.

    I wonder how much the manufacturers own waivers that come with the helmet have to do with it. They essentially say a helmet cannot be relied upon to prevent an injury should one occur.
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

  22. #197
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    My Bikes
    A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
    Posts
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    ...you're lost and bound to make baseless claims such as "helmets cause injury".
    I don't think it's safe to say that they can't cause injury, really. I for one would probably be six feet under, had I worn a helmet on May 17th 2010.

  23. #198
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sudo bike View Post
    I wonder if electrik wants to address my points about how the scalp functions, and the citations provided that helmets mitigate this effect and so actually may make rotational injury (believed to be a big cause of brain damage) worse, or whether he'd rather continue in pretending evidence against his position doesn't exist so he won't feel like a fool. I wonder if electrik disputes this position, if he can explain why they are trying to copy this scalp design in future helmets?
    I'd bet electrik is ignoring it because he doesn't understand it and doesn't want to try to understand it because if he did, he would realize just how foolish he's been (then again, maybe he can't understand it - it's beyond his capacity to understand)

    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    ..I haven't said that helmets cause injury, though in some circumstances it must be possible...
    I haven't said they do either (except in certain circumstances), although I have pointed out that when large groups of people wear them, head injuries to those large groups haven't had a corresponding drop. I suspect one of the reasons for this is that the types of injuries helmets prevent are minor in nature and not often recorded, thus the lack of a recorded drop in injuries with helmet use, but I also think the main culprit for this lack of corresponding drop in injuries with helmet use, is that helmets have become the focus of cycling safety rather than responsible use of the road

    Quote Originally Posted by TurbineBlade View Post
    ...cycling courses are one thing that can prevent head injury. I'd much rather promote "safe cycling" courses to people than simply handing them a useless accessory and letting them "take a stab at it".
    so would I, and this leads into another link to a FAQ page that says

    the helmet debate has little to do with safety... If the dicussion were about bicycle safety then we would be discussing how we can get the cycling public to adopt the most effective and proven method of preventing injuries i.e. responsible behaviour and application of skills when cycling.

    electrik and his ilk don't care about safety, they just care about helmets
    Last edited by closetbiker; 10-17-11 at 12:07 PM.
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

  24. #199
    Senior Member rando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    2,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it almost boils down to a religious belief; you believe in the power of the helmet. you believe biking is so dangerous that you HAVE to wear one. those who don't believe are infidels! you must slay them! or at least insult and ridicule them.
    "Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

    Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me

  25. #200
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    it almost boils down to a religious belief; you believe in the power of the helmet. you believe biking is so dangerous that you HAVE to wear one. those who don't believe are infidels! you must slay them! or at least insult and ridicule them.
    Faith; belief that is not based on proof
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

Page 8 of 349 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •