Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-11, 09:01 PM   #1
WPeabody 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
WPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Monterey Bay area, California
Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See the Blindspots

A website on raising awareness about motor vehicle vs. pedestrian/cyclist collisions.

http://www.seetheblindspots.com/

It was loading slowly when I went to it earlier. I found out about it from a news media site because of a controversial video of pedestrians and one cyclist (on foot) getting hit.
__________________
What do you call a cyclist who sells potpourri on the road? A pedaling petal-peddler.
WPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 09:25 PM   #2
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
The video shows 2 cyclist and several pedestrians getting hit while illegally and dangerously crossing roads.

It is hard to educate people that are that stupid and end up killing themselves.

The should try and train the motorist that violate others right of way.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 09:31 PM   #3
WPeabody 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
WPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Monterey Bay area, California
Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While the website itself seems to be aimed toward motorists, the video seems to be a cautionary tale aimed toward pedestrians. It looks to be a work in progress.
__________________
What do you call a cyclist who sells potpourri on the road? A pedaling petal-peddler.
WPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 09:42 PM   #4
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
The website claims to be Florida DOT. But it is poorly done, has a .com address and seems to be about selling T-shirts.

Or maybe it is about collecting money for the sale of T-shirts. Anyone want to buy one and see it they get a T-shirt?
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

Last edited by CB HI; 11-20-11 at 09:45 PM.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 11:55 PM   #5
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPeabody View Post
While the website itself seems to be aimed toward motorists, the video seems to be a cautionary tale aimed toward pedestrians. It looks to be a work in progress.
I would hope so. My (ex)wife was hit by a car when she was barely a teen(13yrs.-old). Because she was jay-walking and not paying attention. She ended up having her spleen removed.

What is it with pedestrians who almost insist on doing the dumbest, most moronic things in traffic.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 08:19 AM   #6
dynodonn 
Senior Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 7,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPeabody View Post
While the website itself seems to be aimed toward motorists, the video seems to be a cautionary tale aimed toward pedestrians. It looks to be a work in progress.
That's the impression I received, and also to what lengths some peds will go in order to cross a roadway in an autocentric landscape.
dynodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 11:16 AM   #7
gmt13
Half way there
 
gmt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
The website claims to be Florida DOT. But it is poorly done, has a .com address and seems to be about selling T-shirts.

Or maybe it is about collecting money for the sale of T-shirts. Anyone want to buy one and see it they get a T-shirt?
"Unless otherwise indicated, FDOT owns all legal right, title and interest in this website, including any intellectual property rights. FDOT has a non-exclusive, perpetual and royalty-free license to use any material you post on this site to further its public safety mission."

The site is, in fact, sponsored by Florida DOT and, in my opinion is very well done. It's goal is to reduce the number of vehicle, pedestrian, cyclist incidents by advocating increased situational awareness on everybody's part. How could anyone have an issue with that?

-Gary
gmt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 04:26 PM   #8
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmt13 View Post
"Unless otherwise indicated, FDOT owns all legal right, title and interest in this website, including any intellectual property rights. FDOT has a non-exclusive, perpetual and royalty-free license to use any material you post on this site to further its public safety mission."

The site is, in fact, sponsored by Florida DOT and, in my opinion is very well done. It's goal is to reduce the number of vehicle, pedestrian, cyclist incidents by advocating increased situational awareness on everybody's part. How could anyone have an issue with that?

-Gary
Can they count on you to be the first to buy a T-shirt and report back?
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 07:27 PM   #9
gmt13
Half way there
 
gmt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Can they count on you to be the first to buy a T-shirt and report back?
More to supporting advocacy than T-shirts. Blind spots seem to be prevalent.

-G
gmt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 11:05 PM   #10
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmt13 View Post
More to supporting advocacy than T-shirts. Blind spots seem to be prevalent.

-G
Then just send them the $8 to show your support and tell them to keep the T-shirt.

Better yet, donate the T-shirt to the Salvation Army.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 10:08 PM   #11
zeppinger
Senior Member
 
zeppinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seoul, South Korea
Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
Posts: 1,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought the site was fine and had a good message. However, I highly doubt their conclusions that most of the problems with high road casualties come from peopples inatentiveness. If the site really wants to advocate for everyone, peds, cyclists, and drives, then the video does a poor job because it onyl shows peds and cyclists making mistakes. I hear that FL has some of the worst ped and cyling infrostructure in the country so I would think that would have more to do with the problem and go along with their video better. Again though, the message that everyone should try to be more pro active is good.
zeppinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 03:52 AM   #12
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmt13 View Post
Blind spots seem to be prevalent.

-G
Heh heh
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 10:58 AM   #13
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, it's a good message to WAKE UP AND WATCH OUT, for EVERYBODY.

I've been wondering along similar lines for some weeks now -- the 'ghetto' where I live is supposed to be a historically dangerous place; there have been many more shootings this year than in the past. For decades, young people have shunned sidewalks and have walked in the middle of the street, ostensibly for the safety factor of not being near shrubbery where predators can wait for them. WHY, THEN, ARE YOUNG PEOPLE (under about age 35) SO EASY TO SNEAK UP ON AND SCARE, WHEN I'M NOT EVEN TRYING TO DO SO?

BECAUSE THEY'RE SO WRAPPED UP IN THEIR OWN LITTLE UNIVERSES THAT THEY SHUT OUT THE WORLD -- just like the 'ragdolls' in the video.

EVERYONE has a personal responsibility to watch out for themselves, and stay out of harm's way; I don't just roll at a green light, I check to see that the cross traffic isn't trying to blow a light. I don't whip around a blind corner, I almost trackstand it, making sure no one's coming -- because I KNOW they aren't looking for ME!

Assume the presence of, and the exercise of, stupidity in others, and you will only be pleasantly surprised.
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 11:53 AM   #14
SlimAgainSoon
Senior Member
 
SlimAgainSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Down South
Bikes:
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't buy it

I disagree *I see this as another effort to give drivers a pass. According to this site, the overwhelming cause of accidents is inattentiveness on the part of walkers and riders.

As a rider, I don't buy it *not at all.

Perhaps the data are skewed by the no-lights, wrong-way-riding homeless guys, but I doubt this Web site *or any Web site *will do anything to provide them with education on safe cycling.

Meanwhile, drivers keep talking, texting *extraordinarily dangerous behavior *and letting their impatience overrule their good sense and burden of responsibility.

This site says nothing (at least, I found nothing) that addresses those dangers drivers bring to Florida's streets and roadways.
SlimAgainSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:54 PM.