Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-04, 09:27 PM   #1
Laika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 3,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here we go again. CM Bklyn.

Ride. Or don't. I'm not gonna get all judgy.



Critical Mass Brooklyn meets on the second Friday of every month, rain, shine or police repression, Grand Army Plaza, 7pm. Some backsliders and appeasers will be meeting elsewhere. I will not dignify their cowardice by speaking further of their perfidy.

Whatever. Remember when this stuff used to be fun, instead of a reason to dread riding? Remember when this was about riding with your friends and imagining the city in a new, different and better way? I do. I do.
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 09:30 PM   #2
barenakedbiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika
Ride. Or don't. I'm not gonna get all judgy.



Critical Mass Brooklyn meets on the second Friday of every month, rain, shine or police repression, Grand Army Plaza, 7pm. Some backsliders and appeasers will be meeting elsewhere. I will not dignify their cowardice by speaking further of their perfidy.

Whatever. Remember when this stuff used to be fun, instead of a reason to dread riding? Remember when this was about riding with your friends and imagining the city in a new, different and better way? I do. I do.
Long Live the First Amendment! May the people NOT resort to the Second Amendment. Charleton Heston and his friends in the NRA are doing a great job.
barenakedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 09:58 PM   #3
Yoshi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like it's going to rain. If so, I'll be there on my bike. If not, I'll probably be there on foot with a video camera.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 10:00 PM   #4
Laika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 3,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Looks like it's going to rain. If so, I'll be there on my bike. If not, I'll probably be there on foot with a video camera.
If not, why not ride with a video camera?

Hope to see you!


(Oh yeah...after last month I got full-up rain gear, though it's not bike-specific...full rainsuit at Home depot cost 17 bucks! All I need is rubber boots w/SPD cleats! )
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 10:44 AM   #5
Yoshi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika
If not, why not ride with a video camera?

Hope to see you!


(Oh yeah...after last month I got full-up rain gear, though it's not bike-specific...full rainsuit at Home depot cost 17 bucks! All I need is rubber boots w/SPD cleats! )
I figure if it doesn't rain I have a much higher chance of getting arrested. I have to go upstate tomorrow and so I really don't want my plans ruined. We'll see though...
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 11:34 AM   #6
Laika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 3,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
I figure if it doesn't rain I have a much higher chance of getting arrested. I have to go upstate tomorrow and so I really don't want my plans ruined. We'll see though...
Oh. I've been trying to forget about the getting arrested part and stay focussed on riding. Like I said last month, it's someone else's turn to wear the cuffs. They don't match my new slicker anyway.
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 08:36 PM   #7
Konakazi
No, GIR, thatís bad.
 
Konakazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manhattan NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope everything is cool for you guys, wish the weather was better!
Konakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 08:50 PM   #8
Yoshi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The ride actually went fairly well. About 7 of us met up at Grand Army Plaza, with a much smaller group of cops this time. We decided to negotiate with the police which worked out fairly well - we followed traffic laws, they followed us. We met up with another group of about 7-10 riders awhile later, and we continued riding until we split up and went home. No one was arrested or ticketed!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 08:54 PM   #9
Laika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 3,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
The ride actually went fairly well. About 7 of us met up at Grand Army Plaza, with a much smaller group of cops this time. We decided to negotiate with the police which worked out fairly well - we followed traffic laws, they followed us. We met up with another group of about 7-10 riders awhile later, and we continued riding until we split up and went home. No one was arrested or ticketed!
Hey! We didn't negotiate! We informed them of our intentions!

good ride! see you next month...no way am I riding on NYE in NYC...we have plans that night, as does most of the world.
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 11:37 PM   #10
Konakazi
No, GIR, thatís bad.
 
Konakazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manhattan NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad it went well! Yeah NYE's CM would be insanity I'm sure. I mean where the hell would you ride to?

Any of you NYers going to the Time's Up legal meeting tomorrow?
Konakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 AM.