Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-05, 10:07 PM   #1
pablo27
dp/dt
Thread Starter
 
pablo27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marion, NC
Bikes: Madone 5.5; Trek 1200; Trek 3700
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Santa has a Pistol?

Loved my ride today... right up until I was almost hit by one of the friendly motorists in Cleveland, TN.

The near misses happen a lot here, usually a hand gesture or an exchange of the international sign of disgust is the end of it.

Oh but this time, I met up with a pistol totin' red neck Santa Claus (fat, white beard) who wanted to discuss why I had no right to be on the road.

The guy was going around me with traffic and I was about 2 feet inside the white line (we actually have lines painted on some of the roads). The sound of the truck overtaking me told me the guy was really close (if you've been riding very long, you know when they're gonna make a close pass) I thought life was about to leave my body, I swerved and was not struck. I waived my arm, but didn't give the international sign of disgust (some of these guys are very easily offended on New Year's Day).

The guy stops his pickup in the road. I got off my bike and approached Santa's sleigh to protest. As I yelled at him through the sliding back glass of his pickup he tells me to get that thing off the road...it's not registered or liscensed like his pickup and was not made for the road. And, with who was apparently Mrs. Claus in the seat next to him, he starts waving a Glock at me through the sliding back glass of his pick up.

That was enough for me, so I got his liscense number, walked back to my bike and called the cops on my cell phone. I have to pick up the police report Monday.

stay tuned.
pablo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 10:15 PM   #2
richmyer
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lansing, MI, USA
Bikes: Specialized MTB
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn. I'm glad you're OK after almost being killed twice! If someone almost blows you off the road, then stops and waits for you, there is a good chance that they are up to no good. I would approach cautiously--or not at all.
richmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 10:26 PM   #3
pablo27
dp/dt
Thread Starter
 
pablo27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marion, NC
Bikes: Madone 5.5; Trek 1200; Trek 3700
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I have a new perspective now.
pablo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 07:54 AM   #4
Trekke
Lets Ride
 
Trekke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Biking Country, USA
Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo27
Loved my ride today... right up until I was almost hit by one of the friendly motorists in Cleveland, TN.

The near misses happen a lot here, usually a hand gesture or an exchange of the international sign of disgust is the end of it.

Oh but this time, I met up with a pistol totin' red neck Santa Claus (fat, white beard) who wanted to discuss why I had no right to be on the road.

The guy was going around me with traffic and I was about 2 feet inside the white line (we actually have lines painted on some of the roads). The sound of the truck overtaking me told me the guy was really close (if you've been riding very long, you know when they're gonna make a close pass) I thought life was about to leave my body, I swerved and was not struck. I waived my arm, but didn't give the international sign of disgust (some of these guys are very easily offended on New Year's Day).

The guy stops his pickup in the road. I got off my bike and approached Santa's sleigh to protest. As I yelled at him through the sliding back glass of his pickup he tells me to get that thing off the road...it's not registered or liscensed like his pickup and was not made for the road. And, with who was apparently Mrs. Claus in the seat next to him, he starts waving a Glock at me through the sliding back glass of his pick up.

That was enough for me, so I got his liscense number, walked back to my bike and called the cops on my cell phone. I have to pick up the police report Monday.

stay tuned.
You did the right thing. Get his license and file a complaint. Cyclist are a cut above that guy. Don't fall to his level. We ask for a lot of road respect. Unfortunatly we have to earn it a lot more than other vehicles do.

Having said that, Take Care and watch you backside. That route may be his also.
Trekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 09:20 AM   #5
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, almost the right thing. Yelling at the guy was not good. Fortunately, the guy was only nutty enough to wave a gun to scare you - not shoot at you. There is no gain in confronting a motorist.

The better move would have been to either turn down a side street, if available, turn around and go the other way, or just stop way behind the guy until he decides to move on. Few motorists will venture more than a few feet from their vehicle. Get the cell phone out and have it ready. Just showing the phone is likely to prevent a confrontation.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 01:28 PM   #6
powers2b
Listen to me
 
powers2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lexus Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guys like that are the prime reason I do not carry a gun.
I know if I pull it out it wont go back cold.
powers2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 06:04 PM   #7
meat_toothpaste
Senior Member
 
meat_toothpaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: Bianchi Pista & beater Centurion
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn Santa was pack'n some heat. Must have been dropping off Charleston Heston's Christmas present

I find that when yelling/protesting at a motorist, it's best done while I am on seated on the bike. That way they know I am just yelling and mean nothing more. When someone approaches a car on foot, intentions are not clear and can be interpretted as possible violence and people will (over)react in whatever way they see fit.
meat_toothpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 08:15 PM   #8
IchbinJay
Senior Member
 
IchbinJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes: Jamis Ventura Comp (2010) and Raleigh M80 (1998).
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is that what they call Southern Hospitality? Yikes, I thought "Mass-holes" were bad.
IchbinJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 10:37 PM   #9
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,535
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Shooter
Secondly, consider getting a concealed weapons permit and carrying your own handgun for defense. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Needless to say, get thorough training first if you're not already an experienced gun owner.
Great--2 jerks dead by the side of the road, shot by each other in a blazing shootout. Eugenics in action!
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 10:36 AM   #10
powers2b
Listen to me
 
powers2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lexus Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doesn't Glock make an all plastic gun?
I spend quite a bit on my carbon fiber Kestrel.
I would hate to have to carry an all steel gun around.
That would be like wearing a brown suit to a cocktail party.
powers2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 10:48 AM   #11
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo27
Loved my ride today... right up until I was almost hit by one of the friendly motorists in Cleveland, TN.

The near misses happen a lot here, usually a hand gesture or an exchange of the international sign of disgust is the end of it.

Oh but this time, I met up with a pistol totin' red neck Santa Claus (fat, white beard) who wanted to discuss why I had no right to be on the road.

The guy was going around me with traffic and I was about 2 feet inside the white line (we actually have lines painted on some of the roads). The sound of the truck overtaking me told me the guy was really close (if you've been riding very long, you know when they're gonna make a close pass) I thought life was about to leave my body, I swerved and was not struck. I waived my arm, but didn't give the international sign of disgust (some of these guys are very easily offended on New Year's Day).

The guy stops his pickup in the road. I got off my bike and approached Santa's sleigh to protest. As I yelled at him through the sliding back glass of his pickup he tells me to get that thing off the road...it's not registered or liscensed like his pickup and was not made for the road. And, with who was apparently Mrs. Claus in the seat next to him, he starts waving a Glock at me through the sliding back glass of his pick up.

That was enough for me, so I got his liscense number, walked back to my bike and called the cops on my cell phone. I have to pick up the police report Monday.

stay tuned.

So what happened. I'd love to hear a story of vindication.
jfmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 11:04 AM   #12
IchbinJay
Senior Member
 
IchbinJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes: Jamis Ventura Comp (2010) and Raleigh M80 (1998).
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard that Bianchi used to have machine gun mounts on their bicycles, anyone have one of these? I think this would solve all problems.
IchbinJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 12:09 PM   #13
powers2b
Listen to me
 
powers2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lexus Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchbinJay
I heard that Bianchi used to have machine gun mounts on their bicycles, anyone have one of these? I think this would solve all problems.
They were mounted on the chain stays to keep the center of gravity low. The lugged mounts were beautifully machined and very pleasing to the eye. Typical for many Italian engineering endeavors there were problems. The manufacturer never solved the problem of firing sequence versus crank position on a variable speed bicycle. Sadly many cyclists feet were lost before Bianchi decided to shelve the project.
powers2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 12:21 PM   #14
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,535
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
I have a couple RPG's up on Ebay. Optional bike mounts available.
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 12:23 PM   #15
powers2b
Listen to me
 
powers2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lexus Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody
I have a couple RPG's up on Ebay. Optional bike mounts available.
The back blast may be an issue when riding in a peleton...
powers2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 01:43 PM   #16
Bolo Grubb
Senior Member
 
Bolo Grubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powers2b
They were mounted on the chain stays to keep the center of gravity low. The lugged mounts were beautifully machined and very pleasing to the eye. Typical for many Italian engineering endeavors there were problems. The manufacturer never solved the problem of firing sequence versus crank position on a variable speed bicycle. Sadly many cyclists feet were lost before Bianchi decided to shelve the project.

Bolo Grubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 06:05 PM   #17
pablo27
dp/dt
Thread Starter
 
pablo27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marion, NC
Bikes: Madone 5.5; Trek 1200; Trek 3700
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this looks to be a painfully slow process, but i will press charges for aggravated assault

i went to the police station yesterday - they were closed
i went today, but the reports for the holiday weekend had not been processed
tomorrow i should have the report in hand and then file charges to get the criminal process started
i don't know how long things will take after that
pablo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:14 PM   #18
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,535
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
The police station was closed? How could that be?
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 10:30 AM   #19
scrantr
Along for the ride.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody
The police station was closed? How could that be?
Crime takes a Holiday.
scrantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 07:33 AM   #20
pablo27
dp/dt
Thread Starter
 
pablo27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marion, NC
Bikes: Madone 5.5; Trek 1200; Trek 3700
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the slow(but rough) hands of justice

after about 15 phone calls and 3 trips to the police station and waiting patiently while they "unlost" it, i have the police report for my assault

the date is wrong on the report and there are a lot of grammatical errors in the police account, but anyway... the investigator called me and i have an appointment to make a statement next Thursday

from there it sounds like the judge or magistrate will issue a warrant to pick the guy up...then i'll have to pick him out of a lineup... then there may be a prosecution for aggrevated assault
pablo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 10:45 AM   #21
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,535
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo27
the slow(but rough) hands of justice

after about 15 phone calls and 3 trips to the police station and waiting patiently while they "unlost" it, i have the police report for my assault

the date is wrong on the report and there are a lot of grammatical errors in the police account, but anyway... the investigator called me and i have an appointment to make a statement next Thursday

from there it sounds like the judge or magistrate will issue a warrant to pick the guy up...then i'll have to pick him out of a lineup... then there may be a prosecution for aggrevated assault
Good luck! I think you'll need it--the police there sound vey incompetent and unprofessional. I'd love to be a criminal in your town!
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 11:02 AM   #22
pablo27
dp/dt
Thread Starter
 
pablo27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marion, NC
Bikes: Madone 5.5; Trek 1200; Trek 3700
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update...

I talked to the detective today. He took a sworn statement from me about the incident. He said that the guy would now be questioned, and that I would be called in to pick him out of a photo line up.

i'll keep posting updates if anything happens.
pablo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 02:14 PM   #23
billh
Senior Member
 
billh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the update. Good luck.
billh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 PM.