Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-05, 06:24 AM   #1
late
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Bikes:
Posts: 8,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
dual Cateye TL-LD600 blinkers

Hi,
I like cost effective solutions to problems that
work. Not kinda work, or when the conditions are right.
I want it to nail the problem. I had a TL-LD600,
and overall I was pretty pleased with it.
It was light, inexpensive, and bright. But it
left me wanting a little more in the brightness department.
I have one on each bike. When I threw the commuter on the trainer,
I figured, what the heck. I put the 2nd one on my good bike.
10 LEDS make a nice spash of light. Two of them don't feel
like much weight in my hand. And I felt like there was plenty of light.
All of which is nice. A few days ago, I put them in single flasher mode,
where each led is lit one at a time. With both, you get a pair of leds moving slightly out of sync. The effect catches your eye. I liked it, I had the feeling
traffic noticed it and was giving me a little more room. I plan on using that mode routinely in less than perfect light situations in the future. I am really quite pleased with the arrangement.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 11:01 AM   #2
mtbikerinpa
Senior Member
 
mtbikerinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PA
Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always liked doing that mode too.
mtbikerinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 12:50 PM   #3
steveknight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: portland or
Bikes:
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cost wise this is a better light
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
since it uses aa's and has a far longer runtime. 100 hours in steady mode.
steveknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 01:00 PM   #4
late
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Bikes:
Posts: 8,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
I had one of those on my wife's bike for a while (the clips that attach it to a rack always break).
Yes, it's cheap. My ass is worth 30 or 40 bucks...

Last edited by late; 01-08-05 at 01:31 PM.
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 01:08 PM   #5
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknight
cost wise this is a better light
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
since it uses aa's and has a far longer runtime. 100 hours in steady mode.
Did you see my comparison with the pictures of the lights on top of the car? I have a feeling you did.This is one of the weaker lights. I don't mean useless, just the new ones are so good.
This is not a very bright light, compared to the new ones like the TL LD 1000 cateye. Did you say you had some problem with your TL LD1000 cateye? I have been beating up mine and it seems to be fine.I've been riding over stuff that needs suspension just go over slowly and the thing is bouncing all over the place. I did not get it wet yet though.

Sorry if this is off subject, but, I took the link you posted to the inexpensive HID lights and put it in another thread for someone who was shopping around and he asked if anyone has used them. ?? did you buy them? Thanks Steve.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 01-08-05 at 01:12 PM. Reason: incomplete
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 01:17 PM   #6
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by late
Hi,
I like cost effective solutions to problems that
work. Not kinda work, or when the conditions are right.
I want it to nail the problem. I had a TL-LD600,
and overall I was pretty pleased with it.
It was light, inexpensive, and bright. But it
left me wanting a little more in the brightness department.
I have one on each bike. When I threw the commuter on the trainer,
I figured, what the heck. I put the 2nd one on my good bike.
10 LEDS make a nice spash of light. Two of them don't feel
like much weight in my hand. And I felt like there was plenty of light.
All of which is nice. A few days ago, I put them in single flasher mode,
where each led is lit one at a time. With both, you get a pair of leds moving slightly out of sync. The effect catches your eye. I liked it, I had the feeling
traffic noticed it and was giving me a little more room. I plan on using that mode routinely in less than perfect light situations in the future. I am really quite pleased with the arrangement.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
Did you take your bike somewhere where you can put the light on that setting and walk a couple of blocks away to see what it looks like. I think you may be in for a surprise. Having all the led's flash at once is more visible when you get a block away, a LOT more. Much better for traffic.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 01:21 PM   #7
late
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Bikes:
Posts: 8,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Yup,
when it's dark, I get all 10 going. Sorry I was unclear.
It was a cloudy, raw, afternoon with heavy traffic. Ordinarily
I would have been really worried. But the lights seemed to
get people to behave. I've only done that once so far; so you could call the asessment premature. But the difference was striking; and I wanted to talk about it.
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 01:32 PM   #8
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by late
Yup,
when it's dark, I get all 10 going. Sorry I was unclear.
It was a cloudy, raw, afternoon with heavy traffic. Ordinarily
I would have been really worried. But the lights seemed to
get people to behave. I've only done that once so far; so you could call the asessment premature. But the difference was striking; and I wanted to talk about it.
I get it. I did exactly the same thing.

If you want to see that light compared to the Vistalight Super Nebula go to this thread and scroll down to my comparison test. The Vista light is all the way on the left, the Cat eye is second from the right.
You can identify the lights in the first angle (side) picture. I think it's post #30 on that thread.

cateye's new rear taillight review.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 02:01 PM   #9
late
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Bikes:
Posts: 8,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Hi,
I saw that before. That is great work.
The 'Flash' looked great, but I don't see it on the Performance
website anymore.Is it like the Performace Flashpoint?
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4322

The blinky I have is the thin 5 led Cateye...
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I hope to compare it to the new LD 1000 at some point.
The LD 1000 is actually heavier (feels that way, I haven't weighed
either) than my two LD 600 blinkers.
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 03:14 PM   #10
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by late
Hi,
I saw that before. That is great work.
The 'Flash' looked great, but I don't see it on the Performance
website anymore.Is it like the Performace Flashpoint?
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4322

The blinky I have is the thin 5 led Cateye...
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I hope to compare it to the new LD 1000 at some point.
The LD 1000 is actually heavier (feels that way, I haven't weighed
either) than my two LD 600 blinkers.
It is the "Flare", right now Performance is only listing it on the websight as a Pair with the front white one. I also have one of those it's good too. Here's the URL

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=56549229

It's listed in the headlight section as a pair.

I bought mine on the phone from the catalogue, it's listed as.......40-1793C Red Rear..........$14.99
I had to modify the bracket a little to be happy. If you get one let me know.

My Cateye TL-LD 1000 weighs 125 grams with the included batteries and the bracket. 110 with Lithium batteries. The lithiums are brighter, stay brighter longer and are more $$. I have not run them to the end yet, I don't know exactly how long they go.

The Flare is 80 grams with the bracket and Lithium batteries. I don't have any regular batteries to put in the Flare for comparison.

Does this indicate that I need a life? Don't answer that.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 01-08-05 at 03:16 PM. Reason: incomplete
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 PM.