Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-12, 07:45 PM   #76
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
all I said was I thought the road was not safe for cycling and gave the reasons why I felt that way. how is that being anti-cyclist? you simply don't like hearing from anyone who doesn't share your opinion. I guess free speech isn't tolerated here.
This is a private forum so any posts here need to conform to the forum guidelines. Stating that a cyclist riding lawfully on a busy street is "nuts" and playing Russian Roulette implies that they somehow share the responsibility if a wayward driver hits them, and is conducive to blaming the victim. That's not the type of atmosphere we want to encourage.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 07:32 PM   #77
realism
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've started a fundraiser (with benefits) to try to get down to Austin to receive the last gift Lanie gave to me before she was killed.
Basically selling some prints of my paintings on the cheap to try to help make the trip possible. If you like any of my paintings, and want
a print of it on your wall, it would be much appreciated. Please check it out, read the description of the Event and "share" on FB if you could. Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/events/294987507272714/
realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 08:06 AM   #78
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
Thread Starter
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Bikes:
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Depressing update. Evidence Mr. Webb was drinking prior to the collision has been disallowed by the judge:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lo...a0fd4cedf.html

Jury trial apparently begins next week.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 08:17 AM   #79
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique
 
UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We need tough vulnerable road user laws. Until then, "I didn't see him" will be an excuse, not an admission of guilt.
UnsafeAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 12:21 PM   #80
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Reading the latest news story, I noticed one more reason for hit-run-deny. Since the driver has not been charged with manslaughter, the court has held evidence relating to his having had some alcohol within a few hours before the accident is not admissible. THis seems to create a huge pay off as far as driving home to sober up before reporting that you have run someone over. The sentences for hit and run are far less than the one for vehicular manslaughter or killing someone while under the influence. The payoff for getting sober before reporting the accident, then claiming you did not know is pretty good.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 02:03 PM   #81
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
The judge didn't exclude the evidence of alcohol consumption. She conditioned its admissability on the defendant testifying.

Webb isn't charged with DUI. Thus, his alcohol consumption is of limited relavence to the crime he's charged with, and it would have a prejudicial effect, that the Judge determined outwieghed its relevance.

However, if Webb testifies to his BS story that he didn't know he hit her, then the Alcohol consumption becomes relevant to impeach him, and gets admitted.

I would have let it in anyway. However, the Judge definitely has a reasonable basis for her ruling, and she's taking away an appeal point that the Defendant could use on appeal to over turn a conviction.

And she's put the defendant in a very tight box. Don't testify, and you've got virtually no defense; Testify and get hit with the alcohol hammer. Thus he's still ikely to get convicted, and the conviction has a better chance of withstanding an appeal.

So don't get too upset just yet.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 08:46 PM   #82
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
The judge didn't exclude the evidence of alcohol consumption. She conditioned its admissability on the defendant testifying.

Webb isn't charged with DUI. Thus, his alcohol consumption is of limited relavence to the crime he's charged with, and it would have a prejudicial effect, that the Judge determined outwieghed its relevance.

However, if Webb testifies to his BS story that he didn't know he hit her, then the Alcohol consumption becomes relevant to impeach him, and gets admitted.

I would have let it in anyway. However, the Judge definitely has a reasonable basis for her ruling, and she's taking away an appeal point that the Defendant could use on appeal to over turn a conviction.

And she's put the defendant in a very tight box. Don't testify, and you've got virtually no defense; Testify and get hit with the alcohol hammer. Thus he's still ikely to get convicted, and the conviction has a better chance of withstanding an appeal.

So don't get too upset just yet.
Wow, a well thought, reasoned, calming response on the interwebz? Call me shocked.
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 07:12 AM   #83
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
Thread Starter
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Bikes:
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suspect the main reason Mr. Webb is not charged with a DUI is he ran from the accident scene and sobered up for three days prior to turning himself in, only doing so when it became clear the police had a good description of his vehicle and were closing in.

I agree, it is clear why the evidence of Mr. Webb's drinking was not allowed. However, this is becoming a problem: drunks know they face a lesser charge if they flee. Under Virginia law, if you kill someone driving drunk, manslaughter charges can be filed. The charges Mr. Webb faces are lesser. In essence, we are giving him a free pass because he ran and hid.

Mr. Webb will not testify, so there is no way this evidence will be presented. His lawyer is smart; he's probably trying to get rid of any and all evidence he can.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 09:57 AM   #84
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poguemahone View Post
However, this is becoming a problem: drunks know they face a lesser charge if they flee.
For that reason the penalty for leaving the scene should always be more stringent than DUI, and not fleeing the scene, thus taking away the incentive to flee.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 10:11 AM   #85
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I know this is an emotional subject, but let's keep it civil please. Deleted a couple of posts
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 10:31 AM   #86
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
The judge didn't exclude the evidence of alcohol consumption. She conditioned its admissability on the defendant testifying.

Webb isn't charged with DUI. Thus, his alcohol consumption is of limited relavence to the crime he's charged with, and it would have a prejudicial effect, that the Judge determined outwieghed its relevance.

However, if Webb testifies to his BS story that he didn't know he hit her, then the Alcohol consumption becomes relevant to impeach him, and gets admitted.

I would have let it in anyway. However, the Judge definitely has a reasonable basis for her ruling, and she's taking away an appeal point that the Defendant could use on appeal to over turn a conviction.

And she's put the defendant in a very tight box. Don't testify, and you've got virtually no defense; Testify and get hit with the alcohol hammer. Thus he's still ikely to get convicted, and the conviction has a better chance of withstanding an appeal.

So don't get too upset just yet.
Agreed. But the way the 'system' has a tendency to be prejudicial, towards motorists', somehow, a rabbit will be pulled out of the hat.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 10:45 AM   #87
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
In my experience, most systems are biased towards the survivors. Our society hasn't figured out how to keep murderers like Mr. Webb from driving, and so the bloodbath continues.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 12:11 PM   #88
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
Thread Starter
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Bikes:
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
For that reason the penalty for leaving the scene should always be more stringent than DUI, and not fleeing the scene, thus taking away the incentive to flee.
I would argue the penalties should be equal, but that is splitting hairs at best.

I just wish drivers like Mr. Webb would have their permits taken away and burned, never to return. In my mind, any decision that allows Mr. Webb to drive again is inadequate. The "alleged" drinking only further highlights his utter lack of responsibility. Getting him-- and others like him-- out from behind the wheel of a car is a plus for all transport users, no matter their mode.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 03:59 PM   #89
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
For that reason the penalty for leaving the scene should always be more stringent than DUI, and not fleeing the scene, thus taking away the incentive to flee.
That is something you and I can agree on.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 04:01 PM   #90
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Only one problem of the pulling licenses permanently idea. I recently was working part time in a convenience store in Montana. You would be shocked at the number of drivers there are w/o licenses. I'd see them pull up in a car, come in to buy beer, check their ID and they had a State non-driver ID, which is what you get when you get a DUI and still need an ID. Seems like DUI is a state pastime in Montana, and since things are far apart and there is minimal to no public transportation available, people who have lost their legal permission to drive just drive anyway. Once again, there is insufficient incentives to keep people from driving without licenses or insurance, or in the lack of sobriety. I wish I knew an answer, but I don't.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 04:05 PM   #91
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poguemahone View Post
I would argue the penalties should be equal, but that is splitting hairs at best.
The penalty should be much more severe for a hit and run than any other offense except first degree murder.

There is often a chance the victim may survive if the motorist simply stops and calls 911. It is likely that many victims have bleed out (and/or been hit again) because 911 was not called. That disregard for even trying to help the victim deserves severe punishment.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 04:09 PM   #92
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Only one problem of the pulling licenses permanently idea. I recently was working part time in a convenience store in Montana. You would be shocked at the number of drivers there are w/o licenses. I'd see them pull up in a car, come in to buy beer, check their ID and they had a State non-driver ID, which is what you get when you get a DUI and still need an ID. Seems like DUI is a state pastime in Montana, and since things are far apart and there is minimal to no public transportation available, people who have lost their legal permission to drive just drive anyway. Once again, there is insufficient incentives to keep people from driving without licenses or insurance, or in the lack of sobriety. I wish I knew an answer, but I don't.
You could have called the cops and reported a license # and unlicensed driver headed whatever direction.

But maybe the continued beer sales are more important?
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 04:13 PM   #93
Commodus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
For that reason the penalty for leaving the scene should always be more stringent than DUI, and not fleeing the scene, thus taking away the incentive to flee.
absolutely...this is such good common sense it kinda makes you wonder how it came to be othewise.
Commodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 04:17 PM   #94
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
Thread Starter
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Bikes:
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Only one problem of the pulling licenses permanently idea. I recently was working part time in a convenience store in Montana. You would be shocked at the number of drivers there are w/o licenses. I'd see them pull up in a car, come in to buy beer, check their ID and they had a State non-driver ID, which is what you get when you get a DUI and still need an ID. Seems like DUI is a state pastime in Montana, and since things are far apart and there is minimal to no public transportation available, people who have lost their legal permission to drive just drive anyway. Once again, there is insufficient incentives to keep people from driving without licenses or insurance, or in the lack of sobriety. I wish I knew an answer, but I don't.
Obviously, people drive w/o a permit. Estimates on Virginia roads are up to 10% of all drivers. More still drive lacking insurance (legal in Va. and a couple of other states). You'd have to increase penalties and fines for this behaviour, but the state legislature is reluctant to do so. The Kaine administration proposed thousand dollar fines for driving without a license, and the outcry against that was tremendous. There is no political will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
The penalty should be much more severe for a hit and run than any other offense except first degree murder.

There is often a chance the victim may survive if the motorist simply stops and calls 911. It is likely that many victims have bleed out (and/or been hit again) because 911 was not called. That disregard for even trying to help the victim deserves severe punishment.
You have made me rethink my earlier statement. Your point is entirely correct.

In this case, however, it is pointless to think how it should be. We have to deal with the laws in place.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Last edited by Poguemahone; 02-08-13 at 04:21 PM.
Poguemahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 05:30 PM   #95
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
You could have called the cops and reported a license # and unlicensed driver headed whatever direction.
But maybe the continued beer sales are more important?
This. Most convenience stores have cameras,you could have shown the video to the cops as proof.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 05:52 PM   #96
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Since I wanted to keep my meager job, I did not call any police. I was told that I would be fired for doing that. And it was more important to me to keep that 8.50 an hour coming in than to win a wrongful termination suit months later. I did informally talk to Sheriff deputies when they came in the store, they were aware, but in a county that is 100 miles long and with limited budget, they were not able to really do much about it, as long as no accidents or DUI were actually occurring. If we saw someone driving under the influence we did on occasion call but it had to be pretty egregious to actually make that call either. It is my belief that if one were to continually call in all DUI in that location the business would have gone under, as I said, it appears that DUI is a sport or pastime in Montana. These are the real world choices that exist, as opposed to the internet world. As a related aside, the last time I was renewing my DL there, I got into a conversation with the clerk at the DMV. She told me they have cases where they would actually see people park their cars in the lot across the street, come over to get their ID card after having their license suspended. They would not bother them because they were not enforcement officers, Thats the state of the state there.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 09:30 PM   #97
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
That is something you and I can agree on.
Of course there's irony in the emotican.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:24 AM   #98
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
Thread Starter
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Bikes:
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Judge reverses tack somewhat, and allows evidence of Webb's drinking if he made any statements to police or if impairment is part of the prosecution's case, along with photos of Mr. Webb's car and his victim's body:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lo...f13f4838f.html

There should be updates over the next few days as the trial starts Monday and is scheduled to run until Wednesday.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Last edited by Poguemahone; 02-09-13 at 06:30 AM.
Poguemahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 07:18 AM   #99
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
Thread Starter
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Bikes:
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Report on first day of trial:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lo...b57016d61.html

Synopsis: Defence brought up drinking, no doubt to try and mitigate it. Witness say Mr. Webb was driving aggressively and tailgating other drivers. Mr. Webb claims he was looking at his cell phone at the time of the accident. Ms. Kruszewski's hair was found on the windshield of the car, right in front of Mr. Webb's face.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 12:43 PM   #100
Roushe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Bikes: Fuji Sunfire
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A picture of the truck. He says he thought he hit a deer? Yeah, right.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webb-Vehicle.jpg (63.5 KB, 37 views)
Roushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 PM.