Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-12, 01:19 PM   #1
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL
Thread Starter
 
1nterceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NEW YORK, NY - USA
Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X
Posts: 3,949
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Car industry talks bike helmets, silent on car helmets

"Engineers at the University of Adelaide have designed a helmet-like headband which would reduce the number of injuries by 44 %. For some reason the car industry has not picked this up. But they have started some campaigns for cyclists to wear helmets."

Read the full article:
http://www.ecoprofile.com/thread-261...r-helmets.html
__________________
I'm not a boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znNx...aIoDLA&index=1
1nterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 01:30 PM   #2
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You did notice that the article is from 2000, yes?

I'd say you need more than just one study to justify a recommendation for drivers to wear helmets. I have my doubts that anyone in the last dozen years has demonstrated the vital need for ordinary drivers to wear crash helmets.
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 02:29 PM   #3
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The car structure, seatbelts, and airbags already do a lot to mitigate head injuries. You have none of that on a bike. Duh.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 04:04 PM   #4
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL
Thread Starter
 
1nterceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NEW YORK, NY - USA
Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X
Posts: 3,949
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe View Post
You did notice that the article is from 2000, yes?..................
The article was posted on the 8th of October, 2012.
__________________
I'm not a boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znNx...aIoDLA&index=1
1nterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 09:17 PM   #5
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe View Post
You did notice that the article is from 2000, yes?

I'd say you need more than just one study to justify a recommendation for drivers to wear helmets. I have my doubts that anyone in the last dozen years has demonstrated the vital need for ordinary drivers to wear crash helmets.
Out of all the fatal head trauma in the US, what cause is the single biggest piece of pie on the pie chart?
__________________
Silver Eagle Pilot
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 09:43 PM   #6
009jim
Senior Member
 
009jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd say wearing helmets in cars makes complete sense if you consider how many people die of their head injuries. Racing drivers wear them. You can talk all you want about airbags and crepe but as long as more people die in cars, then drivers should wear helmets just like bike riders do. The only reason it hasn't happened is that laws are only enacted by the people who aren't disaffected. No-one will enact a law that will cause them inconvenience.
009jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 07:26 AM   #7
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009jim View Post
I'd say wearing helmets in cars makes complete sense if you consider how many people die of their head injuries...
Great, so do you? If not, what's stopping you?
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 12:08 PM   #8
prathmann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Bikes:
Posts: 6,235
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
Great, so do you? If not, what's stopping you?
I do quite often if I happen to have a helmet along, but don't on most drives for the same reason that I don't on most bike rides that don't require it - the risk is low enough that I don't think the effort to find and put on the helmet is worthwhile.

But I find it interesting that the same people in the bike club who find it necessary to yell at anyone riding around in the parking lot before a ride to put on a helmet are the ones who feel compelled to tell me that I must have 'forgotten' to take my helmet off if they see me starting to drive off with it on after the ride.
prathmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 12:31 PM   #9
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
Posts: 13,360
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
One problem with wearing a helmet when driving is the same problem I have when wearing a hat when driving - there's not room to do so in modern cars. My hat hits the roof and the headrest. Many modern cars can't be driven by normal to tall sized adult males with anything on their heads.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 05:41 PM   #10
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Former NASCAR driver Erine Irvan is a big bicycle helmet advocate since he was forced to retire due to two sever concussions.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 06:13 PM   #11
Daves_Not_Here
On your right
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the point that because we don't promote helmets for motorists (and pedestrians, and others who experience head injuries), we shouldn't do so for cyclists?
Daves_Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 06:23 PM   #12
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 24,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here View Post
Is the point that because we don't promote helmets for motorists (and pedestrians, and others who experience head injuries), we shouldn't do so for cyclists?
Yes.
Who is this vague group you call "we" promoting helmets for any, some or all activities that could possibly result in a head injury?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-09-12 at 07:17 PM. Reason: clarification
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 09:06 PM   #13
silmarillion
Senior Member
 
silmarillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I certainly don't go around shaking my finger at people to wear helmets. If I choose to wear a helmet, it's my choice. And I do wear a helmet.

But people need to understand a bike helmet is more likely to prevent sunburn on your scalp then it is to prevent a closed head injury should your head hit the ground. Even though there have been studies to show that head injuries have actually decreased because of helmets. (just google it, plenty of info on both sides of the argument... ) Helmets may give people a false sense of security. They can't stop the inertia of your brain colliding with the inside of your skull in an impact.
silmarillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 05:42 AM   #14
skye
Senior Member
 
skye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
Great, so do you? If not, what's stopping you?
I can't speak for the other guy, but I don't wear one on a bike, either. What's your point?
skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 12:23 PM   #15
Daves_Not_Here
On your right
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Who is this vague group you call "we" promoting helmets for any, some or all activities that could possibly result in a head injury?
Society at large
Daves_Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 04:23 PM   #16
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 24,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here View Post
Society at large
Maybe, but I think special interest groups with a profit motive and/or safety nanny agenda is more accurate.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 05:19 PM   #17
Zoku620
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Capital City, PA
Bikes: 81 Ross T.K., 89 Merlin mtn.
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The whole purpose of a helmet is to slow the inertia of your brain hitting your skull, that is why they are foam and compress upon impact, to slow the inertia. Also, it is illegal (in PA at least) to drive your car with a helmet on (maybe not a bicycle helmet), as I learned years ago leaving the racetrack. However, you are free to ride your 200hp 400lb rocket without one, as long as you wear your shades, so you can look cool.
Zoku620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 05:40 PM   #18
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's interesting, that in view of the fact that some studies have found that the requirement of wearing helmets reduces people interest in cycling, that all the car manufactures mentioned in the article are lining up solidly on the side of wearing helmets when bicycling.

Hmmmmmmm.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 06:12 PM   #19
Angio Graham
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to race cars frequently and rules requiered that you wear a helmet.

I always wondered how many lives and serious injury would be prevented if motorists wore helmet.

However, in the state of California I am pretty sure they are illegal to wear.
Angio Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 02:10 PM   #20
bandit1990
Senior Member
 
bandit1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't even provide any useful input to this topic...I'm laughing my a%% off reading the "pro" requirement for car drivers to wear a helmet. Please continue after this short break....
bandit1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 02:27 PM   #21
davestv
Senior Member
 
davestv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto (Burlington)
Bikes:
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
It's interesting, that in view of the fact that some studies have found that the requirement of wearing helmets reduces people interest in cycling, that all the car manufactures mentioned in the article are lining up solidly on the side of wearing helmets when bicycling.

Hmmmmmmm.
+1
I think that was the point of the article.
davestv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 PM.