Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-12, 07:26 PM   #1
Angio Graham
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we both broke the law - but his was worse, lol

Angio Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 07:44 PM   #2
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which motorist are you referring to?
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 08:08 PM   #3
dynodonn 
Senior Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 7,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
The OP was half way into the intersection before the light turned red, not sure about traffic laws in the OP's locale, but locally, that would be considered legal. The car creeping out into the intersection on a red light was definitely doing it illegally.
dynodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 08:22 PM   #4
Angio Graham
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in California. I thought I broke the law because I entered on yellow. Is that not illegal ?
Angio Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 08:23 PM   #5
Rootman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Bikes: 2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
The OP was half way into the intersection before the light turned red, not sure about traffic laws in the OP's locale, but locally, that would be considered legal. The car creeping out into the intersection on a red light was definitely doing it illegally.
+1, bike wsa OK, car was NOT.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 08:26 PM   #6
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angio Graham View Post
I am in California. I thought I broke the law because I entered on yellow. Is that not illegal ?
If you have time to safely stop on the yellow without entering the intersection, then you should do so. But entering the intersection on a yellow is not illegal.

So both the white SUV that ran a red light and the pedestrian standing in the middle of the bike lane both flat out broke the law.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 08:28 PM   #7
Angio Graham
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
If you have time to safely stop on the yellow without entering the intersection, then you should do so. But entering the intersection on a yellow is not illegal.

So both the white SUV that ran a red light and the pedestrian standing in the middle of the bike lane both flat out broke the law.

Hmm, well I guess I didnt break the law after all.

And the person in the bike lane was actually a skateboarder. Dont know about the legality of that.
Angio Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 07:36 AM   #8
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angio Graham View Post
Hmm, well I guess I didnt break the law after all.

And the person in the bike lane was actually a skateboarder. Dont know about the legality of that.
No you didn't break the law; however, you clearly don't understanding the rules of the road, so you should probably spend some time studying them before you do much more riding on streets...
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 08:11 AM   #9
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
No you didn't break the law; however, you clearly don't understanding the rules of the road, so you should probably spend some time studying them before you do much more riding on streets...
Or start Internet campaigns about how wrong all the LEO's are about everything.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 08:16 AM   #10
dynodonn 
Senior Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 7,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
No you didn't break the law; however, you clearly don't understanding the rules of the road, so you should probably spend some time studying them before you do much more riding on streets...
When lights are timed for motor vehicle speeds, I have done the same as the OP on several occasions. Generally, there is a timed delay of 1 to 3 seconds between red lights to allow for such a situation. The motorist in the OP's video, who drove through the red light, clearly needs to study the rules of the road before they do much more driving.
dynodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 09:27 AM   #11
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
When lights are timed for motor vehicle speeds, I have done the same as the OP on several occasions. Generally, there is a timed delay of 1 to 3 seconds between red lights to allow for such a situation. The motorist in the OP's video, who drove through the red light, clearly needs to study the rules of the road before they do much more driving.
What tripe, my comment has nothing to do with what the OP did, but rather his admitted ignorance concerning the traffic laws he is subject to. If one is going to ride on the street, one has an obligation to understand the traffic laws one is subject to... The motorist isn't the one posting their ignorance on the internet...
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 10:28 AM   #12
dynodonn 
Senior Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 7,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
If one is going to ride on the street, one has an obligation to understand the traffic laws one is subject to...
....and we here at BF need to be a bit more supportive in helping other cyclists in understanding the rules of the road, rather than rubbing their noses in it.

Last edited by dynodonn; 10-21-12 at 10:33 AM.
dynodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 10:45 AM   #13
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
....and we here at BF need to be a bit more supportive in helping other cyclists in understanding the rules of the road, rather than rubbing their noses in it.
How is someone to know they need to read up on the traffic laws if someone doesn't point that out? Which is all I did (and politely while I was at it). That is certainly better than the typical blaming of motorists (which is what your post did, well that and the signal designers...). Such blame is pointless, when the motorist in question is not participating in the discussion...
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 11:05 AM   #14
dynodonn 
Senior Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 7,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
How is someone to know they need to read up on the traffic laws if someone doesn't point that out? Which is all I did (and politely while I was at it). That is certainly better than the typical blaming of motorists (which is what your post did, well that and the signal designers...).

Not every road users completely understands all the rules of the road, unlike you, I informed the OP that his actions may not be illegal, and that the motorist's actions were, that was all. I did not tell the OP to limit riding his bike until he better understands the rules of the road, when there are other road users who, in the OP's video, blatantly ignore them.
dynodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 11:30 AM   #15
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If it was illegal to enter an intersection on a yellow, there'd be no distinction between yellow and red and no point in having yellow. A long time ago (within my memory) there were traffic lights that were only green or red and it was quickly realized the difficulty that posed for approaching traffic when the light turned red. To solve this without adding another color, when the red light would come on the green light would stay illuminated for some seconds. The period with both lights illuminated served the same function as yellow does today, which is to signify an impending red so that you should either proceed or stop depending on speed/distance from the intersection.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 11:31 AM   #16
Angio Graham
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
No you didn't break the law; however, you clearly don't understanding the rules of the road, so you should probably spend some time studying them before you do much more riding on streets...
I havent had a moving infraction in over 17 years of driving. Thanks for the advice though.
Angio Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 11:55 AM   #17
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angio Graham View Post
I havent had a moving infraction in over 17 years of driving. Thanks for the advice though.
Didn't John Gotti claim for many years he was pure as the driven snow because nobody ever pinned a rap on him; until one day his luck ran out?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 11:58 AM   #18
dynodonn 
Senior Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 7,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
To solve this without adding another color, when the red light would come on the green light would stay illuminated for some seconds. The period with both lights illuminated served the same function as yellow does today, which is to signify an impending red so that you should either proceed or stop depending on speed/distance from the intersection.
I'm glad that they no longer use this type of signal light, talk about sending a mixed signal to motorists and other road users. KISS.

Last edited by dynodonn; 10-21-12 at 12:02 PM.
dynodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 12:26 PM   #19
Johnonaschwinn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride that section in Redondo almost every day. howdy neighbor.

I had to sell my truck cause of tickets and the cost of insurance.

You can go through a yellow if the front wheels are past the LIMIT line.
Johnonaschwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 12:35 PM   #20
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
No you didn't break the law; however, you clearly don't understanding the rules of the road, so you should probably spend some time studying them before you do much more riding on streets...
'Rules of the Road' are the traffic laws, of which the OP did not violate. Perhaps 'Defensive Driving' guidelines might be more helpful to the OP.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

Last edited by CB HI; 10-21-12 at 12:42 PM.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 01:02 PM   #21
Angio Graham
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Didn't John Gotti claim for many years he was pure as the driven snow because nobody ever pinned a rap on him; until one day his luck ran out?
I'm just a guy who entered an intersection on yellow.

However, when I was 14 yrs old I almost got a ticket at that exact intersectoin because I ran the red light on my rollerblades. The police officer who stopped me decided to let me go with a warning.

Last edited by CbadRider; 10-22-12 at 10:03 AM. Reason: attempting to clean up thread
Angio Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 01:23 PM   #22
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
'Rules of the Road' are the traffic laws, of which the OP did not violate. Perhaps 'Defensive Driving' guidelines might be more helpful to the OP.
No. What my post was saying was that the OP was clearly unaware of whether he broke the law or not, hence the need to actually learn the rules of the road... (which are yes, the TRAFFIC LAWS)...
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 01:24 PM   #23
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angio Graham View Post
I havent had a moving infraction in over 17 years of driving. Thanks for the advice though.
Whether you have been ticketed is irrelevant, by your own admission you DIDN'T KNOW if what you did was legal or illegal, hence your obvious need to do a little studying...
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 01:29 PM   #24
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angio Graham View Post
However, when I was 14 yrs old I almost got a ticket at that exact intersectoin because I ran the red light on my rollerblades. The police officer who stopped me decided to let me go with a warning.
Maybe the cop was being nice by not giving a ticket, but more likely, he did not want to deal with the CA legal BS for that traffic violation.

In CA (CO as well), traffic violations are criminal acts. If a CA cop issues a ticket and they are not able to reasonably identify the ticketed, as would be difficult for a 14 year old who does not have a drivers license, state ID card or criminal record, CA police procedural law requires the cop to take the ticketed individual to the nearest magistrate so that bail may be established and collected. The law is designed to prevent individuals from giving false names and get away without paying the ticket. CA hates missing out on cash income. Your Cop probably did not want to go through all the legal procedural BS for ticketing a kid.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 01:33 PM   #25
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
No. What my post was saying was that the OP was clearly unaware of whether he broke the law or not, hence the need to actually learn the rules of the road... (which are yes, the TRAFFIC LAWS)...
Pretty much mute since he did not break the law. Please do tell us that you know and understand every single tax law so that you are certain that you have never broken the law. How about every OSHA and EPA regulation, those are legal requirements as well?

So give the OP a break on a very minor issue.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.