Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    two idiots within yards of each other

    I pull out from a stop sign and get into my lane. A car comes up behind me very fast and tailgates me. He quickly accelerates and around on my right and tries to merge into my lane but I dont let him so he honks at me.

    As I ride about 200 yards up the road I am almost get t-boned by a postal delivery van.



  2. #2
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,212
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to have a very low threshold for dealing with routine traffic situations.

    A short beep from a car, that gave you plenty of room is a problem?

    You refuse to let cars merge?

    Almost T-boned? Not even close.

    I suggest you take a driving class and a cycling class.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    You seem to have a very low threshold for dealing with routine traffic situations.

    A short beep from a car, that gave you plenty of room is a problem?

    You refuse to let cars merge?

    Almost T-boned? Not even close.

    I suggest you take a driving class and a cycling class.

    You just dont like me because I schooled you in an earlier thread. Thats cool. If you want to be a stalker and follow me around I dont mind. You seem safe enough (wink wink)

    Anyway, in regards to your silly comments on my video.....I couldnt let the car merge because if you noticed there was oncoming traffic to my left and in the other portion a curb.

    Maybe you like to hit cars head on but I dont. Whatever floats your boat.

    Was I almost t-boned ? Yes.

    You seem to have a low thershold for people who school you in threads over a month ago. I suggest you get over and move on. Maybe try riding your bike more and posting less. 15,294 is alot.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toyama, Japan
    My Bikes
    Montague Paratrooper, Cannondale F5
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angio Graham View Post
    Was I almost t-boned ? Yes.

    No you weren't. Unless your definition of "almost" involves the vehicle being what I would call "pretty far away".

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure, be wary of the mailman. For some reason they like to pull out in front of me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video doesn't always depict the real situation faced by the rider.

    If he says that he was almost t-boned, or that the other car almost hit him, I am willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  7. #7
    Senior Member shadoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    ChokeYa, Illinois
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Triple, Schwinn Passage, Raleigh Tech 420, Viner Road Record, Soma Sport, Schwinn Tempo, Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Takara Prestige SS, Diamondback Outlook
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched this 3 times.
    I still don't see anyone passing you on the right. Did he go up a different road when you curved to the left ?
    I'm not pokey, but I'm certainly not speedy... sorta half-fast, I guess...

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USPS LLV's have 7 mirrors. The two on the left block their view, Be very wary if one is pulling out on the right side of the road you are on.
    You weren't almost T-boned, it would have been a left hook. I wonder if you were camouflaged by the field behind you while riding in the bike lane.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

  9. #9
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angio Graham View Post
    You just dont like me because I schooled you in an earlier thread. Thats cool. If you want to be a stalker and follow me around I dont mind. You seem safe enough (wink wink)

    Anyway, in regards to your silly comments on my video.....I couldnt let the car merge because if you noticed there was oncoming traffic to my left and in the other portion a curb.

    Maybe you like to hit cars head on but I dont. Whatever floats your boat.

    Was I almost t-boned ? Yes.

    You seem to have a low thershold for people who school you in threads over a month ago. I suggest you get over and move on. Maybe try riding your bike more and posting less. 15,294 is alot.
    Angio, I am with you on this. I am not surprised ILTB chastised you. He chastised me too. That mail truck really came close. I also agree with your not letting the car merge.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadoman View Post
    I watched this 3 times.
    I still don't see anyone passing you on the right. Did he go up a different road when you curved to the left ?
    I never said anyone passed me on the right. But if you watch clearly at about :29 you see the car come up on my right. he braked hard and tried to come into my lane alongside me but I didnt move so he slowed a little bit and came in behind me.

  11. #11
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,212
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    Video doesn't always depict the real situation faced by the rider.

    If he says that he was almost t-boned, or that the other car almost hit him, I am willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.
    Video didn't show black helicopters swirling around overhead either, but they could have been there.

  12. #12
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Video didn't show black helicopters swirling around overhead either, but they could have been there.
    Sarcasm is something best left to the pros.
    Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 10-25-12 at 11:49 PM.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  13. #13
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,037
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Almost" does not count, not even inhorse shoes!
    With over 300-thousand miles of cycling I don't count the close ones.
    Yes, have been hit/struck 4 times and each time the driver got the ticket; one had license suspended for 90 days(drunk); one had license revoked (had restricted driver's license) and the 3rd was a teen out for his first solo car drive and he T-boned us on our tandem (over $2,300 worth of damage w-a-y back in 1978).
    Any car/truck is bigger than you and while you may be legally right, you easily can become ^dead right^.
    It does not pay to argue with 2 tons of metal hurtling at you!
    So sonny, if you want to live to the ripe old age of 80 (yup, am 80 and still ride 100+ miles a week) better learn to ride properly in traffic!
    Peal on!
    Rudy

    .

  14. #14
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,855
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angio Graham View Post
    I never said anyone passed me on the right. But if you watch clearly at about :29 you see the car come up on my right. he braked hard and tried to come into my lane alongside me but I didnt move so he slowed a little bit and came in behind me.

    I wish that you had a rear cam, one could see more of what went on with the motorist trying to pass you on your right, then again, from personal experience one probably does not really want to fully see what is going on behind them.

    The postal van would have a classic "left hook", but fortunately for you that they saw you and stopped before there was a collision.

    All in all, just chalk these two incidents into your "Urban Cycling Survival Skills™ handbook.

  15. #15
    Senior Member telkanuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Allston, MA
    My Bikes
    Trek 720 (touring, 1981 (?) model); Trek 7.3
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ride for a week in an actual city and then come back with some stories.
    ‎"A man may lie to prevent himself from being killed, but although against his will he either lies or is killed, it does not follow that he lies or is killed against his will." - Anselm of Canterbury

  16. #16
    Senior Member silmarillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX
    Posts
    720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    "Almost" does not count, not even inhorse shoes!
    With over 300-thousand miles of cycling I don't count the close ones.
    Yes, have been hit/struck 4 times and each time the driver got the ticket; one had license suspended for 90 days(drunk); one had license revoked (had restricted driver's license) and the 3rd was a teen out for his first solo car drive and he T-boned us on our tandem (over $2,300 worth of damage w-a-y back in 1978).
    Any car/truck is bigger than you and while you may be legally right, you easily can become ^dead right^.
    It does not pay to argue with 2 tons of metal hurtling at you!
    So sonny, if you want to live to the ripe old age of 80 (yup, am 80 and still ride 100+ miles a week) better learn to ride properly in traffic!
    Peal on!
    Rudy

    .
    That's awesome Rudy! Golden years should be for enjoyment. Somewhere along the way most people figure that retirement means eat and sleep and eat again. No exercise, then they wonder why they struggle to keep the weight down or feel like they have any energy at all.

    I'm always astonished at the age demographic that I see on organized centuries and cross state bike tours. There are a fair amount of 65+ folks out there peddling away, and that pretty dang cool in my book.

    Just keep an eye out for those cars my friend...
    "Whenever you think you have something dummy-proof, someone builds a better idiot." - Wisdom overheard on the BF

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,440
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that stretch of PV
    <edit out>
    If you are flustered on that stretch of commonly biked road, don't ride in real traffic.
    Last edited by cruiserhead; 10-25-12 at 11:59 PM. Reason: why bother

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiserhead View Post
    I know that stretch of PV
    <edit out>
    If you are flustered on that stretch of commonly biked road, don't ride in real traffic.
    who said i was flustered ?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Astrozombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East L.A.(California)
    My Bikes
    Windsor Dover, Gravity Avenue
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear" at work? Certainly looks closer than i've ever come to being t-boned. Man this place is full of haters, they act like they're messengers in NYC.

  20. #20
    Senior Member digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia Canada
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS. Marinoni touring bike. Kona Tanuki. Specialized Harrock (commuter). Raleigh (early 80s) Super Gran Prix.
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    I suggest you take a driving class and a cycling class.
    You're not suggesting that (s)he take a cycling class from those, as you say, "know-it-all anti-car, fear mongering, Forrester loving safety nannies" are you?

    By the by, I would agree that the situations presented here seem trivial. However, I would offer that being in the situation and watching it on video are not the same.
    Originally posted by Bones_McBones: Wow Digger, wow! You've earned my respect.... I know ashoposo got werked up. You are the gutter pig of Trollheim.

  21. #21
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,732
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really see any significant issues there. I wouldn't even have bothered remembering non-events like those, let alone save the video, let alone upload them.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  22. #22
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,212
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
    I don't really see any significant issues there. I wouldn't even have bothered remembering non-events like those, let alone save the video, let alone upload them.
    I'd say the issue is scaredy-cat or Drama Queen (take your pick) postings about insignificant events as "dangerous", or as representation of dangerous/stupid driving by those evil motorists. Associated issue is gullible comrades who believe anything negative they read on the Internet about those evil motorists, even when the accompanying video "evidence" shows nothing.

  23. #23
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,855
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
    I don't really see any significant issues there. I wouldn't even have bothered remembering non-events like those, let alone save the video, let alone upload them.

    With HTFU viewpoints like this, is one of the many reasons why the US cycling transportation numbers are so low.

  24. #24
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,855
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    I'd say the issue is scaredy-cat or Drama Queen (take your pick) postings about insignificant events as "dangerous", or as representation of dangerous/stupid driving by those evil motorists. Associated issue is gullible comrades who believe anything negative they read on the Internet about those evil motorists, even when the accompanying video "evidence" shows nothing.

    Yep, more HTFU is all that's needed.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,463
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree there's absolutely nothing heinous in that vid. As we like to say in the 41, HTFU.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •