Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 59 of 59
  1. #51
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,907
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I will look, Thought that the cyclist fatality rate was high, careless on my part.


    Edit - I see what you are saying and you are correct, however, I still doubt the post that I was replying to's assertion that pedestrians in Portland are killed at a "far higher rate" than cyclists. I would love to see data substantiating that, and if I am incorrect I will freely admit that.
    Last edited by howsteepisit; 02-16-13 at 08:40 PM.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  2. #52
    Slob GrouchoWretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    My Bikes
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Thanks I will look, Thought that the cyclist fatality rate was high, careless on my part.
    Not a problem. It's not easy to find meaningful numbers on this stuff.
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3-speed
    2012 GT Zum City

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    My Bikes
    2011 Windsor Oxford, 1974 Schwinn Continental
    Posts
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    Unless the Google Maps street view gives a false impression, it looks relatively tame, compared to the way the people in the DC-Metro region drive. The DC-Metro region is the most congested region, on the road, in the U.S., with speed limits on the main roads', 30-50mph. But with lots of 'traffic control' elements(traffic lights, stop signs, business/personal driveway cutouts)

    Are you allowed to ride in the bus lane, since you are uneasy about riding in the main stream of traffic?
    The bus lane is the only remotely safe lane on Broadway. The occasional person I see in another lane is only doing so to turn, and most will sooner get off at a crosswalk to accomplish as much. I would not call the section of street tame for my level of comfort, though I know DC is definitely worse. Lots of red light runners and people rushing to get to any number of area businesses. Like I said, I'll ride the street on weekends. On a week day, I won't even use the bus lane as the buses really don't give the cyclists much leeway, and if you get trapped between them and parked cars (or worse, if a car is trying to get around the bus to make a turn and not able to see you) it can get really hairy really quick. It might be tame to some, but it scares the dickens out of me most of the time, and I'm a fairly experienced rider.

  4. #54
    Slob GrouchoWretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    My Bikes
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in the DC area for 7 years, Rockville, College Park, and Cheverly, and I wanted to ride but never dared to try it there. Today, I'm getting back the boldness I had when I was younger, but I would still think twice before riding in those places. It's a shame, because a bike would be such a great way to be in so many parts of DC, Rockville town center, Bethesda, Alexandria, etc etc etc. If I went back today, I don't think I'd have the willpower to resist biking it.
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3-speed
    2012 GT Zum City

  5. #55
    I Biked Today Crazyed..27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My Place
    My Bikes
    1998 Lemond Zurich, Redline Conquest Pro, Kilo TT
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Thanks I will look, Thought that the cyclist fatality rate was high, careless on my part.


    Edit - I see what you are saying and you are correct, however, I still doubt the post that I was replying to's assertion that pedestrians in Portland are killed at a "far higher rate" than cyclists. I would love to see data substantiating that, and if I am incorrect I will freely admit that.
    I thought 20 to 100,000 was a crazy high rate...While peds are killed in higher numbers across the country...if you crunch percentages...then cyclists are more likely to be killed...because everyone is a ped...only a handful of us are cyclists! Do you get what I am saying?
    1998 Lemond Zurich, Redline Conquest Pro, Kilo TT

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    My Bikes
    2005 Performer Toscana, 2000 Kona Hoo-Ha, RANS Rocket
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thiocyclist View Post
    Between 5th and 7th on Broadway.
    Do you have a Denver Bike Map? The map recommends Sherman, which is two blocks east of Broadway. Sorry, I'm new to Denver and don't know much.

  7. #57
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchoWretch View Post
    I lived in the DC area for 7 years, Rockville, College Park, and Cheverly, and I wanted to ride but never dared to try it there. Today, I'm getting back the boldness I had when I was younger, but I would still think twice before riding in those places. It's a shame, because a bike would be such a great way to be in so many parts of DC, Rockville town center, Bethesda, Alexandria, etc etc etc. If I went back today, I don't think I'd have the willpower to resist biking it.
    I have no problem riding around here, as far as asserting my right to be on the road. I have never biked in Prince Georges County(College Park, Cheverly). The line between Rockville n' Gaithersburg(the town I live in, is only two miles from the old city center), is only two miles from my house.

    People in the DC-Metro region drive like maniacs. There is the pervasive 'me first' attitude. Anyone going somewhere around here, of their own doing, is treated as, sub-human or less human. To borrow an apt reference made just the other day on A&S, it is hierarchical.

    I routinely bike down to Bethesda, DC, and Alexandria, and only on the road.

    For instance, when I go down to Alexandria(or Arlington), I will cut through the Ft. Myer Army Base that is next to Arlington National Cemetery. Because Route 1, which is more direct, is also a heavily traveled road with very few 'traffic controls'.
    Last edited by Chris516; 02-17-13 at 02:41 PM.

  8. #58
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thiocyclist View Post
    The bus lane is the only remotely safe lane on Broadway. The occasional person I see in another lane is only doing so to turn, and most will sooner get off at a crosswalk to accomplish as much. I would not call the section of street tame for my level of comfort, though I know DC is definitely worse. Lots of red light runners and people rushing to get to any number of area businesses. Like I said, I'll ride the street on weekends. On a week day, I won't even use the bus lane as the buses really don't give the cyclists much leeway, and if you get trapped between them and parked cars (or worse, if a car is trying to get around the bus to make a turn and not able to see you) it can get really hairy really quick. It might be tame to some, but it scares the dickens out of me most of the time, and I'm a fairly experienced rider.
    What is the speed limit on Broadway?

    I understand, that you have a different comfort level, when it comes to riding in, or near traffic.

    Getting 'sandwiched' between two vehicles, is definitely a hairy situation, outright. I was once watching a program on television about bike messengers, and the video showed several bike messengers 'splitting the traffic' in NYC. All I could think of was, one of them getting doored.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    My Bikes
    2011 Windsor Oxford, 1974 Schwinn Continental
    Posts
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speed limit on Broadway is 35 I believe. But traffic goes at 40-45 unless it gets jammed. Denver drivers are not terrible but they are generally speeders and lots of them run red lights, and the cops just don't seem to police this at all. The buses are complicit with it as well.

    The rest of my commute is around the same speed limit but nowhere near as scary.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •