Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bertonatti to plead guilty

    I can't believe its been over 3 years that I saw Christopher Le Canne dying in the roadway right after he had been hit by this POS coward that ran away. I'll never forget that horrible scene. RIP Le Canne, rot in jail Bettonnati. Lets just hope he gets some serious time. Ok.


    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/1...e-dui-hit.html
    Last edited by San Rensho; 02-13-13 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Nothing
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    My Bikes
    Fuji Sunfire
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11.56 years minimum? That .56 portion is 204.4 days, or 204 days, 9 hours, and 36 minutes. How do they get that?

    Russ

  3. #3
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roushe View Post
    11.56 years minimum? That .56 portion is 204.4 days, or 204 days, 9 hours, and 36 minutes. How do they get that?

    Russ
    First day counts as a full day. So they let him out in the morning at 0936 after feeding him a good breakfast.

    No plea bargain! He must be worried about all the more recent killings and how bad he would look with the testimony at trail.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  4. #4
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also thought he was on house arrest - so how did he end up at court in the orange suit and cuffs?
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember, they revoked his bail because he lied when he said he only had one passport but in fact had two.
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  6. #6
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,927
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the court actions that have taken place, since the first of the year:


    Seq. No. Date Book/Page Docket
    362 02/12/2013
    REPORT RE: SENTENCING SET FOR 05/02/2013 AT 08:45
    359 02/07/2013
    ORDER FOR PRE-SENTENCE INVESTIGATION
    358 02/07/2013
    REPORT RE: PLEA SET FOR 02/12/2013 AT 08:45
    360 02/06/2013
    NOTICE OF HEARING 2/7/13
    356 02/05/2013
    REPORT RE: STATUS SET FOR 02/07/2013 AT 08:45
    354 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: MUNOZ, LARRY ID: 081-09504 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 01/23/2013 S
    353 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: YOUNG, DAVID ID: 081-00803 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 02/09/2013 S
    352 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: HUERTAS, FELIX ID: 081-00606 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 01/23/2013 S
    351 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: KRISTALY, ADRIANA ID: 030-06073 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 01/22/2013 S
    350 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: ALBURY, DAVID ID: 030-05400 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 01/23/2013 S
    349 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: KHAN, ZUBAIR ID: 030-04969 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 01/22/2013 S
    348 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: WILHELM, GEORGE ID: 030-04863 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 01/22/2013 S
    347 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: MCDONALD, ISABEL ID: 030-04848 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 02/03/2013 S
    346 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: SLIMAK, MARK ID: 030-04512 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 01/22/2013 S
    SENT: RECD/NOTFD: ACKN: 01/22/2013 S
    345 01/22/2013 E-SUBPOENA: GREENWELL, DAVID ID: 030-03558 FOR: TRIAL ON 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 ISSUED BY: CJIS
    SENT: 01/22/2013 RECD/NOTFD: 01/22/2013 ACKN: 01/22/2013 S
    SENT: RECD/NOTFD: ACKN: 01/25/2013 S
    344 01/03/2013
    TRIAL HEARING SCHEDULED FOR 02/19/2013 AT 08:45 TRIAL HEARING RESET
    343 01/03/2013
    MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE FILED 01/03/2013 ORAL SET FOR 01/03/2013 AT 10:17 GRANTED STIP

    A trial hearing, is scheduled for next Tuesday. Along with a pre-sentence investigation....haven't they investigated enough in three years of time wasted. Then the sentencing is not scheduled until May 2, 2013.

    Hopefully he stays in jail for the forseeable future, prior to trial.

  7. #7
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by San Rensho View Post
    If I remember, they revoked his bail because he lied when he said he only had one passport but in fact had two.
    I remembered that as well. But I also thought he later got to go home with a high bail and required to wear an ankle bracelet. That seemed to be one of the reasons for his lawyer asking for all the delays, that he was not currently in jail longer with each delay.

    Edit - Found something on it: http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...eleased_on.php
    Last edited by CB HI; 02-13-13 at 11:14 PM.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  8. #8
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    pre-sentence investigation....haven't they investigated enough in three years of time wasted. Then the sentencing is not scheduled until May 2, 2013.

    Hopefully he stays in jail for the forseeable future, prior to trial.
    Pre-sentence investigation is only done after conviction. Suppose to find all other convictions/stuff the judge can consider for light or harsh sentence. Things like prior DUIs could really get him a long prison term.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  9. #9
    Formerly Known as Newbie Juha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally.
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

    Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


    Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

  10. #10
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,927
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Pre-sentence investigation is only done after conviction. Suppose to find all other convictions/stuff the judge can consider for light or harsh sentence. Things like prior DUIs could really get him a long prison term.
    Hmmmm.....Ok

    Quote Originally Posted by Juha View Post
    Finally.
    Yes....Finally

  11. #11
    Senior Member Essex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northeast United States
    My Bikes
    Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    A trial hearing, is scheduled for next Tuesday. Along with a pre-sentence investigation....haven't they investigated enough in three years of time wasted. Then the sentencing is not scheduled until May 2, 2013.

    Hopefully he stays in jail for the forseeable future, prior to trial.

    Sorry to say this guy has lawyers who know how to work the system. For years. Jury selection will cost the state a lot of money, as well as the trial which would probably take a few days. Vetting the jury will be interesting.

  12. #12
    Vello Kombi, baby Poguemahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Je suis ici
    Posts
    5,042
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    Sorry to say this guy has lawyers who know how to work the system. For years. Jury selection will cost the state a lot of money, as well as the trial which would probably take a few days. Vetting the jury will be interesting.
    He's pleading guilty. Will they even bother to select a jury?

    I thought the Webb case here in Va took forever, but this one is ridiculous.
    "It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

    Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Essex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northeast United States
    My Bikes
    Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poguemahone View Post
    He's pleading guilty. Will they even bother to select a jury?

    I thought the Webb case here in Va took forever, but this one is ridiculous.
    Confusing news reporting - The Miami Herald reports that Carlos Bertonatti, 32, will enter a guilty plea at a February 19 hearing, delayed so that the victim's family can attend the trial from France.


    Pleadings saves everyone time, frustration and money. Hope the judge throws the book at him.
    Last edited by Essex; 02-14-13 at 09:05 AM.

  14. #14
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,927
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    Sorry to say this guy has lawyers who know how to work the system. For years. Jury selection will cost the state a lot of money, as well as the trial which would probably take a few days. Vetting the jury will be interesting.
    Yes he does. It is disgusting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poguemahone View Post
    He's pleading guilty. Will they even bother to select a jury?

    I thought the Webb case here in Va took forever, but this one is ridiculous.
    At first, yes why even have a jury trial or trial at all. But May 2, 2013 is more than two months away. In that time, he could withdraw his guilty plea, and opt for a jury trial. It would be just another one of his games.

  15. #15
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,927
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    Confusing news reporting - The Miami Herald reports that Carlos Bertonatti, 32, will enter a guilty plea at a February 19 hearing, delayed so that the victim's family can attend the trial from France.


    Pleadings saves everyone time, frustration and money. Hope the judge throws the book at him.
    It was set for the 19th, then reset for May 2.

  16. #16
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    3,869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha View Post
    Finally.
    I hope that the amount of people here who haven't forgotten about this case have done some good.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will serve about 40% or less of whatever sentence he is given.

  18. #18
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With him pleading guilty, the court will not seat a jury. But they still have a court hearing for the plea and then one for sentencing. Sounds like the paper is calling the sentence hearing a trial, maybe because the court will hear from both sides before sentencing.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  19. #19
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,927
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    With him pleading guilty, the court will not seat a jury. But they still have a court hearing for the plea and then one for sentencing. Sounds like the paper is calling the sentence hearing a trial, maybe because the court will hear from both sides before sentencing.
    That is, if he doesn't withdraw his plea, and opt to take his chances with a jury trial. Betting on the memories of all the witnesses, not being clear after three years of stalling.

  20. #20
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please anyone let us know how long this case comes out.

  21. #21
    Senior Member dougmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Bridgestone RB-T, Bike-E, Vision R-40, Novara Safari
    Posts
    2,982
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    No plea bargain!
    He has good lawyers, so that tells me that the only reason he would ever plead guilty is that he got a plea bargain.

    A plea bargain for a reduced sentence or just not caring what happens to you are the only reasons to plead guilty. His guilty plea is valuable to the prosecutor -- it saves time and there's always the small chance that he could actually be found not guilty. The prosecutor will make an offer for that plea (which might range from really good to barely anything, depending on the situation) and it makes no sense for him to just give the plea away for free.

  22. #22
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,927
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Please anyone let us know how long this case comes out.
    I bookmarked his record with the Miami-Dade County judicial system.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Essex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northeast United States
    My Bikes
    Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    I bookmarked his record with the Miami-Dade County judicial system.
    I've also bookmarked his record. Interesting. Speeding in a manatee zone, as well as assault and battery previously.

    If you want to follow the case through the courts:

    http://www2.miami-dadeclerk.com/cjis/CaseSearch.aspx

    Select case number and in the boxes type in: F 10 001742 - you do not need to add a # to the last box.

    The judge for the case is Hon. Bronwyn Miller:

    Last edited by Essex; 02-18-13 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added link + picture of the Judge

  24. #24
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmc View Post
    He has good lawyers, so that tells me that the only reason he would ever plead guilty is that he got a plea bargain.

    A plea bargain for a reduced sentence or just not caring what happens to you are the only reasons to plead guilty. His guilty plea is valuable to the prosecutor -- it saves time and there's always the small chance that he could actually be found not guilty. The prosecutor will make an offer for that plea (which might range from really good to barely anything, depending on the situation) and it makes no sense for him to just give the plea away for free.
    The article said 'No plea bargain!', what information do you have that refutes that.

    Yes he has good lawyers that have repeatedly delayed a trial date so witnesses could move away, retire from the police force, forget details that they can be attacked on at trial, and for the anger at the killing to die down.

    Their problem is that additional killing have occurred, increasing the anger towards the killers. The news articles for the new killings keep mentioning this case. Not good for Bertonatti.

    It has reached a point that Bertonatti's good lawyers figure he is unlikely to get off even in a jury trial. They likely figure his best bet to limit jail time is to plead guilty, tell everyone how remorseful he is, how he cannot sleep, he wished he had died rather than his victim, how sad it all has made his mother and ask mercy from the court. His good lawyers likely figure he will some mercy from a woman judge, who is a mother.


    So NO
    A plea bargain for a reduced sentence or just not caring what happens to you are the only reasons to plead guilty.
    are not the only reasons.
    Last edited by CB HI; 02-18-13 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Confirmed judge is a mother of 2.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Kurt Erlenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Space Coast, Florida
    Posts
    2,423
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plea accepted, sentencing May 2, no plea or sentencing bargain - 11.5 to 35 years is the possible sentence.

    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/1...ad-guilty.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •