Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/)
-   -   Dealt With A Heavy Horned Idiot Yesterday... (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/872709-dealt-heavy-horned-idiot-yesterday.html)

atbman 02-27-13 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane (Post 15319891)
This would have been quite entertaining for me. I ride a recumbent, and I got that nice sawblade 3 ring sprocket out front...... :D

You can do it on an ordinary bike in some conditions. I know of one case where a rider was stopped and surounded by several youths, who demanded his bike. Standing crossways on to the ringleader and with one foot still clipped in, he backpedaled and dropped his chain off the big ring to the middle, leaving his cranks horizontal. He then lifted the bike off the ground by the saddle and bars, scraped the big ring down said youth's shin, poked him in the eyes as he doubled up, pushed him out of the way and scarpered, sharpish.

Special circs, but a useful technique where possible.

genec 02-27-13 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atbman (Post 15322510)
You can do it on an ordinary bike in some conditions. I know of one case where a rider was stopped and surounded by several youths, who demanded his bike. Standing crossways on to the ringleader and with one foot still clipped in, he backpedaled and dropped his chain off the big ring to the middle, leaving his cranks horizontal. He then lifted the bike off the ground by the saddle and bars, scraped the big ring down said youth's shin, poked him in the eyes as he doubled up, pushed him out of the way and scarpered, sharpish.

Special circs, but a useful technique where possible.

Wow, interesting technique. I knew a woman who threw her bike at a raging motorist who had left his car... she said it was effective, but a bit hard on the bike.

K'Tesh 02-27-13 01:33 PM

Used my bike once to keep a punk in his friends car. He was about 1/2 second away from me breaking out one of his windows (one of the reason's I like bar extenders)

One night I was riding home in a bike lane when a car full of Asshats pulls alongside and startle honks me, then the passenger starts yelling and threw something out the window at me (hard, not a casual toss). The geniuses then get caught at the next intersection about (1/2 block away) by a red light with a car stopped in front of them. I come up, yelling, and trying to take down the license plate before I call it in to 911. Passenger punk starts to try to get out of the car, but I used my bike to keep the door from opening, all the while attracting the attention of the vehicles coming up behind them and alongside.

Dude rolls down the window to tried and punch me. Had I gotten a chance, I would have grabbed his arm and pulled it in a direction opposite the joint, hard (I wanted to hear the sound of breaking bone(his,not mine)). At that moment, the light changed, and his buddy drove off. Had I had his arm, I would have kept holding it to make sure of maximum damage. I'm certain that my pedal left a nice gouge along the the passenger side body work. With the car gone, I stood clear of the intersection, busy trying to call the cops.

The driver behind them witnessed the incident, and followed them and wrote down the license for me, then circled back, found me, and gave it to me.

Unfortunately, the cops weren't able to catch the driver on the road, but they did go to the address associated with the car. That was all I heard from them. I can only imagine what Asshat's dad thought about this situation, having the cops come along to tell them about it and a nice bit of paint missing down the passenger side.

vol 02-27-13 01:51 PM

I've seen a lot of such idiot drivers. They honk behind you and sometimes rudely pass by to get ahead, only to be stopped by the red light waiting for you to catch up with them (sometimes when I caught up with them I'd have a look at them :)) . I guess their butts were itchy sitting in a chair for a long time and thought such "maneuvers" would get their muscles exercised. ;)

billnuke1 02-27-13 03:05 PM

You know...sometimes a small ball pein hammer, that you could use to fix a bike problem, can come in very handy! I always carried one on my motorcycle in case of "asshats"! Tail/head lights, mirrors no match for..."the hammer"! Should be easy enough to attach to the bike somewhere convenient.

GrouchoWretch 02-27-13 04:48 PM

http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc....jpg.250x.jpeg

billnuke1 02-27-13 05:41 PM

Yeah! That ought'a do it!

K'Tesh 02-27-13 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrouchoWretch (Post 15324490)

Too obvious...

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...d=301677&stc=1

Victorinox Rescue Tool Awiss Army Knife (when folded, there's still a pointy end for.... uhmmm Rescuing people... yeah! That's right... Rescuing people)

billnuke1 02-27-13 07:07 PM

hmmm...new thread?

billnuke1 02-27-13 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K'Tesh (Post 15324913)
Too obvious...

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...d=301677&stc=1

Victorinox Rescue Tool Awiss Army Knife (when folded, there's till a pointy end for.... uhmmm Rescuing people... yeah! That's right... Rescuing people)

Wink! Wink! Nod! Nod!

PDX Reborn 03-01-13 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billnuke1 (Post 15324059)
You know...sometimes a small ball pein hammer, that you could use to fix a bike problem, can come in very handy! I always carried one on my motorcycle in case of "asshats"! Tail/head lights, mirrors no match for..."the hammer"! Should be easy enough to attach to the bike somewhere convenient.

Must be a biker thing. I use to carry one on DRZ supermoto.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 AM.