Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/)
-   -   Lane position (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/873371-lane-position.html)

Chris516 02-17-13 09:12 PM

Lane position
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=X8eCmVpzFSk
This is what I do. Except that, this video was done in Orlando, I 'take the lane', and the rush hour traffic is much heavier, in both directions, in DC-Metro region. In the video, the traffic is more respectful to cyclists' in Florida, than it is in the DC-Metro region.

dynodonn 02-17-13 09:23 PM

Nice instructional video, but I think it would be more interesting to see a video with a solo rider riding at a much slower pace than what was shown, and see how motorists react.

I-Like-To-Bike 02-17-13 10:19 PM

Or on a busy city street with some seriously heavy moving traffic in both traffic lanes, or on a one way street with lots of traffic behind the cyclist, parked cars and a single lane.

The video may be good for demonstrating cycling on suburban streets with relatively sparse traffic; hardly represents cycling in city traffic.

Chris516 02-17-13 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 15285280)
Nice instructional video, but I think it would be more interesting to see a video with a solo rider riding at a much slower pace than what was shown, and see how motorists react.

Yes, That would definitely be more interesting, and more accurate. Because, Not everyone has a cycling buddy with a camera, and not everyone can go 'fast'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 15285508)
Or on a busy city street with some seriously heavy moving traffic in both traffic lanes, or on a one way street with lots of traffic behind the cyclist, parked cars and a single lane.

The video may be good for demonstrating cycling on suburban streets with relatively sparse traffic; hardly represents cycling in city traffic.

I was thinking the same thing. Because there are roads around here that 15, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45, which would be great opportunities, if I had a helmet cam. To see how people would react on the various roads.

My only problem would be, not having two cameras', so I could show the traffic behind me, along with the traffic in front of me.

dynodonn 02-17-13 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris516 (Post 15285658)
Yes, That would definitely be more interesting, and more accurate. Because, Not everyone has a cycling buddy with a camera, and not everyone can go 'fast'.......

........My only problem would be, not having two cameras', so I could show the traffic behind me, along with the traffic in front of me.

I have front and rear cams, and I get to see numerous WTF gestures from motorists in my rear cam videos. Just today, I videoed one impatient motorist doing a close proximity lane change under hard acceleration while I was taking the lane on a two lane one way street. In the frame by frame reviews, I can clearly see the back of my helmet in the motorist's chrome grille.

Chris516 02-18-13 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 15285724)
I have front and rear cams, and I get to see numerous WTF gestures from motorists in my rear cam videos. Just today, I videoed one impatient motorist doing a close proximity lane change under hard acceleration while I was taking the lane on a two lane one way street. In the frame by frame reviews, I can clearly see the back of my helmet in the motorist's chrome grille.

I need a helmetcam bad.

Clarabelle 02-18-13 02:24 AM

No shoulder, so taking the lane is pretty well mandatory. Nice and flat in Florida, no?

Chris516 02-18-13 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarabelle (Post 15286216)
No shoulder, so taking the lane is pretty well mandatory. Nice and flat in Florida, no?

I totally agree.

dynodonn 02-18-13 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris516 (Post 15286183)
I need a helmetcam bad.

With two cams, you really get to see some details that you normally won't see, like the motorist that made the close lane change pass, adhering their current registration sticker to the front license plate and leaving the expired sticker showing on the rear plate, where the stickers are legally to be adhered.

Roushe 02-18-13 08:27 AM

Here in Charleston, SC, the city center streets are too narrow to share with the parked cars and a strict sidewalk cycling prohibition. The rural highways are narrow, have no shoulders, and the fog line often has rumble strips forcing cyclists to take the lane much to the frustration of motorists as it is often unsafe to pass. Only in the suburban areas with their newer roads are the lanes wide enough to share. The newest roads being built out here have bike lanes and/or sharrows.

Russ

Marinonidude 02-18-13 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 15285280)
Nice instructional video, but I think it would be more interesting to see a video with a solo rider riding at a much slower pace than what was shown, and see how motorists react.

I'm not trying to bust your chops here, but I don't think that this is a good instructional video at all.

It's just some guy riding with music.

There's a guy near me who made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrXw56m_Mgthis video, and I think he has done an excellent job.

M.D.

Looigi 02-18-13 11:17 AM

I like this one:

Chris516 02-18-13 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 15286694)
With two cams, you really get to see some details that you normally won't see, like the motorist that made the close lane change pass, adhering their current registration sticker to the front license plate and leaving the expired sticker showing on the rear plate, where the stickers are legally to be adhered.

Yes, I need two cams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looigi (Post 15287388)
I like this one:

I remember that guy. He was riding in traffic, on that bike. I was speechless. I hope he is still alive. Because he looked like he could have easily been blown over, without even getting hit. Because he doesn't look like he has any leverage for speed.

Bekologist 02-25-13 06:01 AM

not very instructional, but interesting to see all the partial lane changes to pass the cyclists.

the 'idealized' fast riders on flat roads with cameras pacing each other doesn't convey riding those streets solo at 12mph with a kid and a load of groceries.

I wonder what the AADT of that road is, and if it is a candidate for a road diet?

Gallo 02-25-13 07:18 AM

I fail to see how this is safe and advocates good will between cyclists and motorists.

I think there are situations where it is necessary to take a lane but this should not be a general practice in my view.

I ride defensive in traffic this appears to be riding offensive.

While I realize that we have many different regions on this board with different practices and different conditions, I would not last long before becoming short biography on the back page of the local section if I employed this technique.

Share the road goes both ways

GrouchoWretch 02-25-13 07:57 AM

Quote:

I can't climb and do not sprint well so I over compensate with bad form and lack of endurance
Same here.

PatrickGSR94 02-25-13 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallo (Post 15313958)
Share the road goes both ways

But that's exactly what's happening in that video. They're sharing the road. There are multiple lanes which cars can use to pass. Sheepishly riding jammed up against the curb so that cars don't have to slow down or change lanes while passing is just asking for you to get buzzed or full-on hit and knocked down, or even run over.

I would much rather ride on a multi-lane road with moderate-speed traffic than on a 2-lane road with less traffic, but higher speeds - because the multi-lane road has plenty of room to pass at all times. Not so on the 2-lane roads.

kmv2 02-25-13 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 15314394)
But that's exactly what's happening in that video. They're sharing the road. There are multiple lanes which cars can use to pass. Sheepishly riding jammed up against the curb so that cars don't have to slow down or change lanes while passing is just asking for you to get buzzed or full-on hit and knocked down, or even run over.

I would much rather ride on a multi-lane road with moderate-speed traffic than on a 2-lane road with less traffic, but higher speeds - because the multi-lane road has plenty of room to pass at all times. Not so on the 2-lane roads.

2-lane roads can be very safe.

I wonder why more roads can't be like this,

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301288

La Route Verte in Québec consists mainly of paved shoulders added to existing two lane roads.

GamblerGORD53 02-25-13 12:24 PM

+1 This empty lane video demonstrates absolutely NOTHING, except maybe I am a car... weeeeee. With heavy traffic in both lanes, these hogs will get buzzed WORSE than if properly FRAP. Partial lane passes endanger no one. Full lane passes are a fairytale in city traffic, as demonstrated by 1 car there.

On that lovely safe Quebec highway, I would still ride way right on the shoulder. I wouldn't care if there was passing cars going towards me 80 mph. Here there can be wide truck loads at any time, day or night.

PatrickGSR94 02-25-13 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmv2 (Post 15314505)
2-lane roads can be very safe.

I wonder why more roads can't be like this,

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301288

La Route Verte in Québec consists mainly of paved shoulders added to existing two lane roads.

We have zero roads like that around here. I agree that setup is great, but in my area, a 2-lane road means about 2 inches of pavement outside the white line. And with the hills we have, and traffic wanting to go 45-50 MPH, it can be pretty hazardous.

Although a road like that is probably littered with debris to the right of the white line, because cars never travel there. Pavement where cars normally travel is always the least debris-ridden.

kmv2 02-25-13 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 (Post 15315155)
On that lovely safe Quebec highway, I would still ride way right on the shoulder. I wouldn't care if there was passing cars going towards me 80 mph. Here there can be wide truck loads at any time, day or night.

The wide truck loads would generally be on the motor vehicle specific autoroutes (ie. autoroute 15, 40, 50, etc). If its wide enough to protrude into the shoulder (ie. for sections of wind power generators), there would be a police escort.

I've done Ottawa to Montreal touring on the Ontario side of the border and Quebec side, and felt much safer on the Quebec side with that shoulder. It really makes a big difference.

spare_wheel 02-25-13 02:32 PM

In Oregon if you are riding close to the normal speed of traffic (below the speed limit, of course) you have the legal right to use the full lane:

Quote:

A person commits the offense of improper use of lanes by a bicycle if the person is operating a bicycle on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic using the roadway at that time...
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/814.430

Chris516 02-25-13 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 15286694)
With two cams, you really get to see some details that you normally won't see, like the motorist that made the close lane change pass, adhering their current registration sticker to the front license plate and leaving the expired sticker showing on the rear plate, where the stickers are legally to be adhered.

Yes, That will be my next purchase, after I get a better bike computer. Hopefully for my birthday in May.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58 AM.