Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Lane position

  1. #1
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,149
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lane position

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=X8eCmVpzFSk
    This is what I do. Except that, this video was done in Orlando, I 'take the lane', and the rush hour traffic is much heavier, in both directions, in DC-Metro region. In the video, the traffic is more respectful to cyclists' in Florida, than it is in the DC-Metro region.

  2. #2
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,881
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice instructional video, but I think it would be more interesting to see a video with a solo rider riding at a much slower pace than what was shown, and see how motorists react.

  3. #3
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,541
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or on a busy city street with some seriously heavy moving traffic in both traffic lanes, or on a one way street with lots of traffic behind the cyclist, parked cars and a single lane.

    The video may be good for demonstrating cycling on suburban streets with relatively sparse traffic; hardly represents cycling in city traffic.

  4. #4
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,149
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    Nice instructional video, but I think it would be more interesting to see a video with a solo rider riding at a much slower pace than what was shown, and see how motorists react.
    Yes, That would definitely be more interesting, and more accurate. Because, Not everyone has a cycling buddy with a camera, and not everyone can go 'fast'.

    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Or on a busy city street with some seriously heavy moving traffic in both traffic lanes, or on a one way street with lots of traffic behind the cyclist, parked cars and a single lane.

    The video may be good for demonstrating cycling on suburban streets with relatively sparse traffic; hardly represents cycling in city traffic.
    I was thinking the same thing. Because there are roads around here that 15, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45, which would be great opportunities, if I had a helmet cam. To see how people would react on the various roads.

    My only problem would be, not having two cameras', so I could show the traffic behind me, along with the traffic in front of me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,881
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    Yes, That would definitely be more interesting, and more accurate. Because, Not everyone has a cycling buddy with a camera, and not everyone can go 'fast'.......

    ........My only problem would be, not having two cameras', so I could show the traffic behind me, along with the traffic in front of me.
    I have front and rear cams, and I get to see numerous WTF gestures from motorists in my rear cam videos. Just today, I videoed one impatient motorist doing a close proximity lane change under hard acceleration while I was taking the lane on a two lane one way street. In the frame by frame reviews, I can clearly see the back of my helmet in the motorist's chrome grille.
    Last edited by dynodonn; 02-17-13 at 11:19 PM.

  6. #6
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,149
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    I have front and rear cams, and I get to see numerous WTF gestures from motorists in my rear cam videos. Just today, I videoed one impatient motorist doing a close proximity lane change under hard acceleration while I was taking the lane on a two lane one way street. In the frame by frame reviews, I can clearly see the back of my helmet in the motorist's chrome grille.
    I need a helmetcam bad.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Clarabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sequim, Washington on the Olympic Peninsula
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler
    Posts
    438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No shoulder, so taking the lane is pretty well mandatory. Nice and flat in Florida, no?

  8. #8
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,149
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    No shoulder, so taking the lane is pretty well mandatory. Nice and flat in Florida, no?
    I totally agree.

  9. #9
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,881
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    I need a helmetcam bad.
    With two cams, you really get to see some details that you normally won't see, like the motorist that made the close lane change pass, adhering their current registration sticker to the front license plate and leaving the expired sticker showing on the rear plate, where the stickers are legally to be adhered.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    My Bikes
    Fuji Sunfire
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Charleston, SC, the city center streets are too narrow to share with the parked cars and a strict sidewalk cycling prohibition. The rural highways are narrow, have no shoulders, and the fog line often has rumble strips forcing cyclists to take the lane much to the frustration of motorists as it is often unsafe to pass. Only in the suburban areas with their newer roads are the lanes wide enough to share. The newest roads being built out here have bike lanes and/or sharrows.

    Russ

  11. #11
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    Nice instructional video, but I think it would be more interesting to see a video with a solo rider riding at a much slower pace than what was shown, and see how motorists react.
    I'm not trying to bust your chops here, but I don't think that this is a good instructional video at all.

    It's just some guy riding with music.

    There's a guy near me who made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrXw56m_Mgthis video, and I think he has done an excellent job.

    M.D.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,603
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this one:

  13. #13
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,149
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    With two cams, you really get to see some details that you normally won't see, like the motorist that made the close lane change pass, adhering their current registration sticker to the front license plate and leaving the expired sticker showing on the rear plate, where the stickers are legally to be adhered.
    Yes, I need two cams.

    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    I like this one:
    I remember that guy. He was riding in traffic, on that bike. I was speechless. I hope he is still alive. Because he looked like he could have easily been blown over, without even getting hit. Because he doesn't look like he has any leverage for speed.

  14. #14
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not very instructional, but interesting to see all the partial lane changes to pass the cyclists.

    the 'idealized' fast riders on flat roads with cameras pacing each other doesn't convey riding those streets solo at 12mph with a kid and a load of groceries.

    I wonder what the AADT of that road is, and if it is a candidate for a road diet?
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  15. #15
    Senior Member Gallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego CA
    My Bikes
    2008 Wilier Motorolio Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail 1986 Paramount 2014 Pivot Mach 429c
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fail to see how this is safe and advocates good will between cyclists and motorists.

    I think there are situations where it is necessary to take a lane but this should not be a general practice in my view.

    I ride defensive in traffic this appears to be riding offensive.

    While I realize that we have many different regions on this board with different practices and different conditions, I would not last long before becoming short biography on the back page of the local section if I employed this technique.

    Share the road goes both ways
    "Are you finished and satisfied with the thread up to this point? If so, if you don't mind, I'm inclined to close it now, the quality posts have dwindled - it's circling the bowl now." BillyD

    I can't climb and do not sprint well so I over compensate with bad form and lack of endurance

    2008 Wilier Mortorolio - 2008 Stumpjumper Hardtail - 1986 Paramount

  16. #16
    Slob GrouchoWretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    My Bikes
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't climb and do not sprint well so I over compensate with bad form and lack of endurance
    Same here.
    1970s AMF Roadmaster 3-speed
    2012 GT Zum City

  17. #17
    Senior Member PatrickGSR94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Memphis TN area
    Posts
    4,189
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
    Share the road goes both ways
    But that's exactly what's happening in that video. They're sharing the road. There are multiple lanes which cars can use to pass. Sheepishly riding jammed up against the curb so that cars don't have to slow down or change lanes while passing is just asking for you to get buzzed or full-on hit and knocked down, or even run over.

    I would much rather ride on a multi-lane road with moderate-speed traffic than on a 2-lane road with less traffic, but higher speeds - because the multi-lane road has plenty of room to pass at all times. Not so on the 2-lane roads.
    2011 Felt Z85 105 | Ultegra | KMC | Selle Italia | Vuelta | Topeak
    90's-ish KHS Alite 1000 MTB, *hybridized*

  18. #18
    Senior Member kmv2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    My Bikes
    Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast
    Posts
    695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    But that's exactly what's happening in that video. They're sharing the road. There are multiple lanes which cars can use to pass. Sheepishly riding jammed up against the curb so that cars don't have to slow down or change lanes while passing is just asking for you to get buzzed or full-on hit and knocked down, or even run over.

    I would much rather ride on a multi-lane road with moderate-speed traffic than on a 2-lane road with less traffic, but higher speeds - because the multi-lane road has plenty of room to pass at all times. Not so on the 2-lane roads.
    2-lane roads can be very safe.

    I wonder why more roads can't be like this,

    trail-la-route-verte-104016063.jpg

    La Route Verte in Québec consists mainly of paved shoulders added to existing two lane roads.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Elevation 666m Edmonton Canada
    My Bikes
    2013 Custom SA tourster
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 This empty lane video demonstrates absolutely NOTHING, except maybe I am a car... weeeeee. With heavy traffic in both lanes, these hogs will get buzzed WORSE than if properly FRAP. Partial lane passes endanger no one. Full lane passes are a fairytale in city traffic, as demonstrated by 1 car there.

    On that lovely safe Quebec highway, I would still ride way right on the shoulder. I wouldn't care if there was passing cars going towards me 80 mph. Here there can be wide truck loads at any time, day or night.

  20. #20
    Senior Member PatrickGSR94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Memphis TN area
    Posts
    4,189
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmv2 View Post
    2-lane roads can be very safe.

    I wonder why more roads can't be like this,

    trail-la-route-verte-104016063.jpg

    La Route Verte in Québec consists mainly of paved shoulders added to existing two lane roads.
    We have zero roads like that around here. I agree that setup is great, but in my area, a 2-lane road means about 2 inches of pavement outside the white line. And with the hills we have, and traffic wanting to go 45-50 MPH, it can be pretty hazardous.

    Although a road like that is probably littered with debris to the right of the white line, because cars never travel there. Pavement where cars normally travel is always the least debris-ridden.
    2011 Felt Z85 105 | Ultegra | KMC | Selle Italia | Vuelta | Topeak
    90's-ish KHS Alite 1000 MTB, *hybridized*

  21. #21
    Senior Member kmv2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    My Bikes
    Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast
    Posts
    695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
    On that lovely safe Quebec highway, I would still ride way right on the shoulder. I wouldn't care if there was passing cars going towards me 80 mph. Here there can be wide truck loads at any time, day or night.
    The wide truck loads would generally be on the motor vehicle specific autoroutes (ie. autoroute 15, 40, 50, etc). If its wide enough to protrude into the shoulder (ie. for sections of wind power generators), there would be a police escort.

    I've done Ottawa to Montreal touring on the Ontario side of the border and Quebec side, and felt much safer on the Quebec side with that shoulder. It really makes a big difference.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    2007 carpe diem frame custom build, trek 7.9 frame custom build, custom built chinese carbon fiber road bike, shopping bike
    Posts
    3,293
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Oregon if you are riding close to the normal speed of traffic (below the speed limit, of course) you have the legal right to use the full lane:

    A person commits the offense of improper use of lanes by a bicycle if the person is operating a bicycle on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic using the roadway at that time...
    http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/814.430

  23. #23
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,149
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    With two cams, you really get to see some details that you normally won't see, like the motorist that made the close lane change pass, adhering their current registration sticker to the front license plate and leaving the expired sticker showing on the rear plate, where the stickers are legally to be adhered.
    Yes, That will be my next purchase, after I get a better bike computer. Hopefully for my birthday in May.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •