Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/)
-   -   Round-the-world UK cyclists killed in Thailand (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/873476-round-world-uk-cyclists-killed-thailand.html)

vol 02-18-13 12:07 PM

Round-the-world UK cyclists killed in Thailand
 
Tragic ending to round-the-world cycling couple:
Round-the-world UK cyclists killed in Thailand

Quote:
"Supachai said the truck driver, 25-year-old Worapong Sangkhawat, was seriously injured in the crash. He told police his truck hit the cyclists as he was reaching down to pick up a cap from the vehicle's floor, Supachai said."

Apparently, it's more important for some drivers to pick up their dropped cap, or cell phone, or whatever, than ensuring the safety of others and themselves.

P.S. Wonder if they ever visited the bikeforums.

spivonious 02-18-13 02:13 PM

I just read this. Sad story. At least they died doing something they loved. The driver is facing up to 10 years in prison.

vol 02-18-13 02:48 PM

One of the yahoo comments posted there:

Libertine
I was a commercial driver and we were taught rule #1 when there is an accident is never admit fault. Any lawyer or insurance expert will tell you this. Reason is you may not be at fault and admit to something that precludes a proper investigation and assignment of fault. Maybe he bent down to retrieve the cap when they swerved into his lane to avoid an animal or object. He did not see what happened.

redtires 02-18-13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spivonious (Post 15288098)
I just read this. Sad story. At least they died doing something they loved. The driver is facing up to 10 years in prison.

Which, unfortunately, is a lot more than he would get if it had happened here. Bummer story, agreed however that they died doing something they love...and ending that many of us don't get to choose.

toddles 02-18-13 05:10 PM

You guys are louts. Keep waging war against auto drivers -- particularly in third world nations. We're far, far off from getting it right in this country. We all know the risks when were out there. A better idea would have been not to assume a driver is not a bumbling idiot and expect him/her to reach for the floor.

ahsposo 02-18-13 06:00 PM

I'll bet they weren't wearing helmets.

vol 02-18-13 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 15289033)
I'll bet they weren't wearing helmets.

There is a brief video here about them, and, indeed, nowhere does it show them wearing helmets! I'm not a helmet person, but I'm surprised by cyclists touring the world without helmets. Wonder if that's how they toured the 23 countries?

RolandArthur 02-19-13 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vol (Post 15290160)
There is a brief video here about them, and, indeed, nowhere does it show them wearing helmets! I'm not a helmet person, but I'm surprised by cyclists touring the world without helmets. Wonder if that's how they toured the 23 countries?

After touring through 23 countries they probably thought they were experienced enough not to topple over at 3 MPH.

kmv2 02-19-13 03:42 PM

I bet they didn't have blinky lights

chrismorg 02-19-13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 15289033)
I'll bet they weren't wearing helmets.

no proof they would have survived WITH a helmet but at least they died happy

CB HI 02-19-13 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 15289033)
I'll bet they weren't wearing helmets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmv2 (Post 15292657)
I bet they didn't have blinky lights

Bet the guy driving without looking where he was going would have even seen the brightest blinky. So, now we have two threads on this killing of cyclist that wish to shift the blame to the cyclist.

unterhausen 02-19-13 04:30 PM

I really think it's in poor taste to try to figure out how these two cyclists could have survived being mowed down by a truck being driven by -- nobody -- because the guy in the drivers seat had his head down by the seat trying to pick up his hat. I'm no doctor, but the likelihood is they died from internal bleeding. That's how most people die from blunt force trauma.

And when I say it's in poor taste, I mean I will delete it.

chrismorg 02-19-13 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 15292852)
I really think it's in poor taste to try to figure out how these two cyclists could have survived being mowed down by a truck being driven by -- nobody -- because the guy in the drivers seat had his head down by the seat trying to pick up his hat. I'm no doctor, but the likelihood is they died from internal bleeding. That's how most people die from blunt force trauma.

And when I say it's in poor taste, I mean I will delete it.

great point and post

jerseyJim 02-19-13 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 15292852)
I really think it's in poor taste to try to figure out how these two cyclists could have survived being mowed down by a truck being driven by -- nobody -- because the guy in the drivers seat had his head down by the seat trying to pick up his hat. I'm no doctor, but the likelihood is they died from internal bleeding. That's how most people die from blunt force trauma.

And when I say it's in poor taste, I mean I will delete it.

I understand where you are coming from but I am going to disagree with this sentiment.


I am not saying these two did anything wrong. There is certainly not enough information to make any judgement. But if one person reads one of these cyclist killed threads and makes a change to their riding practices that makes them safer then I feel it is worth all the disfunction present in these threads.

unterhausen 02-19-13 05:10 PM

Please start a thread called "what I learned from threads about senseless deaths of cyclists." Don't speculate about it here. Relatives and friends will stumble upon thread like this and I would hope they wouldn't be too appalled.

unterhausen 02-20-13 09:27 AM

I said I was going to delete posts like the ones I just deleted.

Commodus 02-20-13 09:49 AM

They had such great smiles in every photo. They look so healthy and happy. Makes me want to saddle up and hit the trail. Love the bikes, too. I bet they didn't spend one minute worrying about the suitability of various 'components' while they were pedaling away into adventure.

Damn sad ending though.

Essex 02-20-13 10:07 AM

I was thinking (before I even knew this couple died) that riding a bike is inherently a dangerous activity. And possibly reducing time on the road and walking more? Yesterday I was cycling in and around Central Park and NYC's Westside and there were enough mini-happenings to get me to think that it's too much. In a one hour span I had - two cars cut me off. Numerous people squirting in between cars to jaywalk 5-6. Cars that run right up your @$$ and try to move you over to the side and folks too busy to cross on a yellow light to even notice a bike might be approaching. Last bit is some wanker wearing a ermine coat walking directly in the bike path with his arms swinging as if he owns the lane.

I feel bad for the couple as they had more stories to create and tell. Not right, but I've seen enough of these stories over the years to know you take your hands into your own life on a % basis.

chrismorg 02-20-13 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyJim (Post 15292924)
I understand where you are coming from but I am going to disagree with this sentiment.


I am not saying these two did anything wrong. There is certainly not enough information to make any judgement. But if one person reads one of these cyclist killed threads and makes a change to their riding practices that makes them safer then I feel it is worth all the disfunction present in these threads.

unterhausen .....but you allow this post to stay this is a wear a helmet line and you will be safe

10 Wheels 02-20-13 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmv2 (Post 15292657)
I bet they didn't have blinky lights

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...htsHelmets.png

kmv2 02-20-13 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 15296112)

were they waring helments

chrismorg 02-20-13 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 15296112)


they kinda look like helmets ...............but they cant be because helmets save lives

CbadRider 02-20-13 02:48 PM

Enough of the helmet and light debate. Please let these people rest in peace.

Thread closed.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 AM.