Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/)
-   -   Embarrassed by my state ... again. (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/873538-embarrassed-my-state-again.html)

ECT 02-18-13 06:09 PM

Embarrassed by my state ... again.
 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-state-of-nova/post/fairfax-senators-dooring-cyclist-safety-bill-fails-on-tied-committee-vote-seven-delegates-are-no-shows/2013/02/13/bb7ad78a-762b-11e2-8f84-3e4b513b1a13_blog.html

http://www.roanokefreepress.com/gene...e-safety-blls/

Grillparzer 02-18-13 06:11 PM

Your link doesn't work, and if you've never lived in Alabama you have no reason to be embarrassed.

ECT 02-18-13 06:17 PM

Link is fixed now. Alabama passed a car door bill thirty years ago. As far a cycling goes, they're miles ahead of Virginia.

toddles 02-18-13 08:05 PM

I found this in the same article. This is pathetic and has nothing to do with bikes (neighboring state -- relax):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...tml?ctab=all_&

j814wong 02-18-13 08:22 PM

There really needs to be more "dooring" laws. Really, can it hurt a driver to glance behind before opening a door? No but it can seriously hurt and even kill a cyclist. In NY, I've seen my fair share of drivers simply fling the door open law or no law against dooring.

It's even more idiotic when they fling open the left doors where there is traffic.

B. Carfree 02-18-13 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j814wong (Post 15289533)
There really needs to be more "dooring" laws. Really, can it hurt a driver to glance behind before opening a door? No but it can seriously hurt and even kill a cyclist. In NY, I've seen my fair share of drivers simply fling the door open law or no law against dooring.

It's even more idiotic when they fling open the left doors where there is traffic.

Meh. I don't care if there's a dooring law or not. Only a fool or a noob rides in the door zone. 100% compliance with a dooring law is so unlikely I choose to not play that lottery.

JoeyBike 02-18-13 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 15289586)
100% compliance with a dooring law is so unlikely I choose to not play that lottery.

Like the stop sign law. Ever see ANYONE in a car stop completely without a cop right behind them? Same result with a dooring law I am sure.

ECT 02-18-13 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 15289627)
Like the stop sign law. Ever see ANYONE in a car stop completely without a cop right behind them? Same result with a dooring law I am sure.

The law is effective even if it doesn't drastically reduce dooring accidents. What the law does is make the driver responsible for injuries to the cyclist - and on the hook for the medical bill.

009jim 02-18-13 09:00 PM

I was in a bus once and this driver flung the door open in front of us. Whammo! That door was toast. Driver had to change underwear too.

dougmc 02-18-13 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 15289627)
Ever see ANYONE in a car stop completely without a cop right behind them?

Sure -- when there's traffic that requires yielding to. Same goes for cyclists.

Beyond that, just about nobody comes to a complete stop at at a stop sign, as you're saying.

Chris516 02-18-13 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 15289586)
Meh. I don't care if there's a dooring law or not. Only a fool or a noob rides in the door zone. 100% compliance with a dooring law is so unlikely I choose to not play that lottery.

I tend to agree with this. At the same time, regardless of cyclist, or another vehicle, a person should look before opening their car door, when parked on streetside parking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 15289627)
Like the stop sign law. Ever see ANYONE in a car stop completely without a cop right behind them? Same result with a dooring law I am sure.

Very true. Regardless of active compliance, how could it even be enforced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECT (Post 15289664)
The law is effective even if it doesn't drastically reduce dooring accidents. What the law does is make the driver responsible for injuries to the cyclist - and on the hook for the medical bill.

Yes, Because the driver/passenger should not be infallible. They still have a responsibility to pay attention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 009jim (Post 15289677)
I was in a bus once and this driver flung the door open in front of us. Whammo! That door was toast. Driver had to change underwear too.

They were changing their clothes, in their car, when it happened?

GrouchoWretch 02-19-13 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 15289627)
Like the stop sign law. Ever see ANYONE in a car stop completely without a cop right behind them? Same result with a dooring law I am sure.

I stop my car at stop signs. I assume a cop is watching. They often stake out the most useless intersections. Where they get you is, naturally, where you don't expect them, and then you have a moving violation. But I find that drivers behind me don't seem to expect anyone to stop because they're always having to stomp the brakes to avoid rear ending me or riding my bumper all the way through the intersection. Even got rear ended some years ago at a stop sign that was regularly staked out by cops. A real revenue stream for them. And my stops are very touch and go, not count to 3 or anything.

I'm exposed to more rude and lawless driver behavior in my car than on my bike, I think.

smasha 02-20-13 06:11 AM

the value of a dooring law is that it establishes fault with the motorist, indisputably. i think it's unlikely that dooring laws prevent doorings, but they DO prevent cyclists from being left out in the cold when the legal system says the motorist didn't do anything wrong.

for that reason, it's worth having dooring laws.

JoeyBike 02-20-13 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrouchoWretch (Post 15290984)
I stop my car at stop signs.

When I have to drive a car (thankfully this is rare) I love stopping completely when there are other cars behind me. I stop before any sidewalk (at an intersection) to look for that kid who just learned to ride a 2-wheeler but can't stop yet. So very often I stop TWICE at stop signs.

Like you, I feel more at risk of trouble when driving a car.

ItsJustMe 02-21-13 02:19 PM

Quote:

"He said Del. Scott Garrett (R-Lynchburg) worried that his 10-year-old daughter could be ticketed for improperly opening her door, a fully specious concern."
Clearly an irresponsible parent. My kids were never allowed to open the door on the traffic side of the car. If they had to get out on that side for some reason they had to wait for someone to tell them it was OK, or more usually to open it for them from the outside.

ItsJustMe 02-21-13 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 15289627)
Like the stop sign law. Ever see ANYONE in a car stop completely without a cop right behind them? Same result with a dooring law I am sure.

I do stop completely at stop signs regardless of vehicle, and I've been paying attention to others. As you say, it's EXTREMELY rare for anyone to stop unless there's cross traffic; even the presence of a cop usually does not make people stop completely around here. I've seen people blow stop signs at speeds that most cyclists can't even achieve.

When I stop at a stop sign, if there's someone behind me they often wind up having to hit the brakes hard because they are so surprised to see someone actually stop.

noisebeam 02-21-13 02:46 PM

I'm one of those who stops completely (no wheel motion) at stop signs. I see some other drivers do this sometimes too, sure most don't, but I'd estimate up to 20% of drivers do.

kmv2 02-22-13 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 15295346)
When I have to drive a car (thankfully this is rare) I love stopping completely when there are other cars behind me. I stop before any sidewalk (at an intersection) to look for that kid who just learned to ride a 2-wheeler but can't stop yet. So very often I stop TWICE at stop signs.

Like you, I feel more at risk of trouble when driving a car.

I find when in a car, as predominantly a pedestrian and cyclist, I look first for them and then for cars and then proceed. ie. the shoulder checks go as far as the sidewalk not just to either side of the road.

So many times you see people rolling through an intersection and honestly they are diligently checking and scanning, but they are checking for other cars, and then at the last second.. boom! where did that kid walking across the road come from! I didn't see him! or boom! I've crept my car into the middle of the ****ing crosswalk like an idiot and there's a dozen people yelling at me because I'm blocking their way.

B. Carfree 02-22-13 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisebeam (Post 15300942)
I'm one of those who stops completely (no wheel motion) at stop signs. I see some other drivers do this sometimes too, sure most don't, but I'd estimate up to 20% of drivers do.

Things must be different in AZ. In thirteen years of living in OR, I have not yet witnessed ten motorists make legal stops at stop signs (full stop behind the limit line). Even when there is a cross traffic conflict or a pedestrian in the crosswalk, they will slow down but not stop. Sometimes that means slowing to a fraction of a mile per hour. It's as though stopping would somehow cause them to lose some game they are playing.

sudo bike 02-23-13 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 15289627)
Like the stop sign law. Ever see ANYONE in a car stop completely without a cop right behind them? Same result with a dooring law I am sure.

In fairness, I think a lot of the reason for widespread flouting of stop signs is because they are grossly overused in the US. Far more often a Yield is more natural for traffic flow, which is why even many otherwise law-abiding citizens will roll through. Because of that, unfortunately, even in places where it is more apt people have gotten so used to rolling through useless stop signs that they'll roll through all of them. I think something like a dooring law is a bit of a different animal.

cyclogeck 02-25-13 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisebeam (Post 15300942)
I'm one of those who stops completely (no wheel motion) at stop signs. I see some other drivers do this sometimes too, sure most don't, but I'd estimate up to 20% of drivers do.


Me too, except I call it a skid. Great fun in a car and a bicycle. I always thought a dooring was my fault but recently a guy tried to door me, so even tho you try to be safe unfortunately a few bleeping bleeps are trying too


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 AM.