Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-13, 01:42 PM   #1
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
Thread Starter
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Passing

I was surfing CommuteOrlando's website, and saw this image:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passingplotchart.jpg (85.1 KB, 124 views)
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 01:57 PM   #2
kmv2
Senior Member
 
kmv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It doesn't say which one is an annoying child, or which one is married with kids?? I can't tell who is who.
kmv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 02:05 PM   #3
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly
 
Myosmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Minnesota
Bikes:
Posts: 2,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a little unsure of just what is being illustrated. Was there any text explanation to go with this?

One thing I noticed is that their measurement of 2.56 feet from the car to the cyclist didn't include the mirror. On a car the mirror can extend eight inches to a foot beyond the body panels, on some trucks and other vehicles it can be even more. Being most mirrors will strike a cyclist somewhere between the hip and the shoulder (or the head in the case of larger trucks/delivery vehicles) I don't see why they wouldn't be included in the total width of the vehicle and the calculated distance being from the rightmost point, not necessarily the front fender.
Myosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 02:23 PM   #4
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
Thread Starter
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
I'm a little unsure of just what is being illustrated. Was there any text explanation to go with this?

One thing I noticed is that their measurement of 2.56 feet from the car to the cyclist didn't include the mirror. On a car the mirror can extend eight inches to a foot beyond the body panels, on some trucks and other vehicles it can be even more. Being most mirrors will strike a cyclist somewhere between the hip and the shoulder (or the head in the case of larger trucks/delivery vehicles) I don't see why they wouldn't be included in the total width of the vehicle and the calculated distance being from the rightmost point, not necessarily the front fender.
Yes, I should have included the website. Here is the website: http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...d-the-3ft-law/

I noticed the thing about mirrors, too.

Even though that is Orlando, I think that would be accurate for the DC-Metro area. In that, the closer to the gutter pan, the less room a motorist feels' they need to use when passing a cyclist.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 04:10 PM   #5
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Medford, OR
Bikes: Kona MTN bike, Bent TW Elegance
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Considering I've been hit by the mirror sticking out rather far on one of those Metro Vans that some cities have for handicap transport, it should definitely be included. I was in a marked bike lane at the time, 2 way road with a middle left turn left turn lane.
Notso_fastLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 05:44 PM   #6
mrt2you
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: new berlin wi
Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2012 specialized roubaix
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got hit by a extended mirror on a dual rear wheel truck towing a bobcat 5 years ago.
it was on a 4 lane divided highway with a 3' paved shoulder on the right of the white line on the side of the road. i was riding on the paved shoulder and the truck driver, according to witnesses, swerved toward me. i think he was trying to get really close to me to scare me, but misjudged distance of the mirror. he clipped me on the shoulder with the mirror, knocked me over and i went down hard. i got knocked out, could have been much worse but i had helmet on, and spent the next 3 days in hospital. the truck driver never stopped.
a cop was patrolling the road and showed up 30 seconds after the accident. he picked up pieces of his broken mirror, got a description of the truck from 3 witnesses of the accident who were right behind the truck but changed lanes to give me room.
the cop saw the truck 2 miles away and busted the driver because the glass matched his broken mirror. the DA threw the book at him and the trucking company that owned the truck. after pleading out the driver he got 1 year in work release jail, revoked driver license for 2 years and a big fine. the trucking company also got a big fine.
i really wasn't hurt bad just shook up. i got all of my hospital bills taken care of and a 5K check for pain and suffering.
mrt2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 06:18 PM   #7
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
Thread Starter
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
Considering I've been hit by the mirror sticking out rather far on one of those Metro Vans that some cities have for handicap transport, it should definitely be included. I was in a marked bike lane at the time, 2 way road with a middle left turn left turn lane.
Your experience reminded me of, the large mirrors put on the doors of pickup trucks for pulling fifth-wheel trailers. I am not referring to horse trailers but, the big family trailers.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 07:04 PM   #8
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
Posts: 7,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing I experienced in Florida was cars/trucks towing boats -- some of the trailers sway wildly. Im OK with bike lanes, stayed in them, and still had issues with this. Rear view mirror
-=(8)=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 07:14 AM   #9
cderalow
Senior Member
 
cderalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Potomac, MD
Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
One thing I experienced in Florida was cars/trucks towing boats -- some of the trailers sway wildly. Im OK with bike lanes, stayed in them, and still had issues with this. Rear view mirror
have you towed a trailer behind a vehicle before?

trailers have a great tendency to follow the crown of the road and get greatly effected by crosswinds.
at any sort of real speed, its pretty much impossible for a driver to have any real control over the location of a trailer.
cderalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 07:38 AM   #10
nelson249
"Per Ardua ad Surly"
 
nelson249's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Bianchi Specialissima, Mongoose Hilltopper ATB, Surly Cross-Check, Norco City Glide
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt2you View Post
i got hit by a extended mirror on a dual rear wheel truck towing a bobcat 5 years ago.
it was on a 4 lane divided highway with a 3' paved shoulder on the right of the white line on the side of the road. i was riding on the paved shoulder and the truck driver, according to witnesses, swerved toward me. i think he was trying to get really close to me to scare me, but misjudged distance of the mirror. he clipped me on the shoulder with the mirror, knocked me over and i went down hard. i got knocked out, could have been much worse but i had helmet on, and spent the next 3 days in hospital. the truck driver never stopped.
a cop was patrolling the road and showed up 30 seconds after the accident. he picked up pieces of his broken mirror, got a description of the truck from 3 witnesses of the accident who were right behind the truck but changed lanes to give me room.
the cop saw the truck 2 miles away and busted the driver because the glass matched his broken mirror. the DA threw the book at him and the trucking company that owned the truck. after pleading out the driver he got 1 year in work release jail, revoked driver license for 2 years and a big fine. the trucking company also got a big fine.
i really wasn't hurt bad just shook up. i got all of my hospital bills taken care of and a 5K check for pain and suffering.
Yikes. Glad to see the cops were on top of it and most epecially that you weren't that badly injured.
nelson249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 07:39 AM   #11
nelson249
"Per Ardua ad Surly"
 
nelson249's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Bianchi Specialissima, Mongoose Hilltopper ATB, Surly Cross-Check, Norco City Glide
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
have you towed a trailer behind a vehicle before?

trailers have a great tendency to follow the crown of the road and get greatly effected by crosswinds.
at any sort of real speed, its pretty much impossible for a driver to have any real control over the location of a trailer.
The driver is still obligated to pass in a safe manner. If this means reducing speed well there it is.
nelson249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 08:02 AM   #12
Redfire
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Bikes: 2012 Diamondback Response
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
have you towed a trailer behind a vehicle before?

trailers have a great tendency to follow the crown of the road and get greatly effected by crosswinds.
at any sort of real speed, its pretty much impossible for a driver to have any real control over the location of a trailer.
While trailers are effected by crosswinds (either naturally occurring or from another vehicle) it is the drivers responsibility to maintain control over the trailer they are pulling. The main reason a trailer sways is because it is improperly loaded or the tow vehicle is not large enough or does not have the proper equipment, another common problem is having the hitch at the wrong height. If a trailer is equipped with brakes you can quickly regain control just by applying light pressure to the trailer brake controller located inside the tow vehicle. If the trailer is fairly large/heavy the tow vehicle should be equipped with weight distribution and sway control to aid in keeping the trailer on the same path as the tow vehicle. This is not just for the safety of cyclist but also other vehicles on the road as well as the people located in the tow vehicle.
Redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 10:03 AM   #13
johnin
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
have you towed a trailer behind a vehicle before?

trailers have a great tendency to follow the crown of the road and get greatly effected by crosswinds.
at any sort of real speed, its pretty much impossible for a driver to have any real control over the location of a trailer.
Surely you must be joking - if you can't control your vehicle you really shouldn't drive - and yes I have towed trailers - in heavy crosswinds - and on icy roads - appropriate speed is the secret. I don't know what you mean by "real speed" - please define.
johnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 02:16 PM   #14
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
Posts: 13,356
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
That looks fine to me. The closest pass was 2.58 feet which is a little close but I probably wouldn't even blink or notice at that distance.

That's about what I see too. Most people pass with WAY more space than is needed.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 02:52 PM   #15
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
Posts: 14,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
That's about what I see too. Most people pass with WAY more space than is needed.
That is very true when sharing a lane, but if you are in a bike lane you never can tell. It's like the passing motorist is satisfied they 'on their side of the stripe', even if they are too close to the cyclist in the bike lane.
noisebeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 03:09 PM   #16
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 10,397
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfire View Post
While trailers are effected by crosswinds (either naturally occurring or from another vehicle) it is the drivers responsibility to maintain control over the trailer they are pulling. The main reason a trailer sways is because it is improperly loaded or the tow vehicle is not large enough or does not have the proper equipment, another common problem is having the hitch at the wrong height. If a trailer is equipped with brakes you can quickly regain control just by applying light pressure to the trailer brake controller located inside the tow vehicle. If the trailer is fairly large/heavy the tow vehicle should be equipped with weight distribution and sway control to aid in keeping the trailer on the same path as the tow vehicle. This is not just for the safety of cyclist but also other vehicles on the road as well as the people located in the tow vehicle.

Or the driver is over-controlling when he tries to correct it. I agree with Johnin. If a driver can't control his trailer, he needs to slow down to the speed he can handle, or else stay off the road entirely. Controlling the vehicle is the first priority and everything else, including a presumed right to travel from point A to B at any speed, is secondary.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 05:01 PM   #17
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
Thread Starter
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson249 View Post
The driver is still obligated to pass in a safe manner. If this means reducing speed well there it is.
Not just passing in a safe manner, and reducing speed. Also not breaking the speed limit to pass a cyclist. There is the exclusion in the traffic code of crossing the double-yellow line to pass a cyclist. But not breaking the speed limit to do it.

I was on a two-lane blacktop, in a 20mph zone earlier today, when an aggressive motorist was behind me. I was actually going 5mph ABOVE the speed limit, because of the guy practically tailgating me. When the guy crossed the double-yellow line to pass me, he was probably going 30mph. Too bad there wasn't a camera on that section of road.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 05:09 PM   #18
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Medford, OR
Bikes: Kona MTN bike, Bent TW Elegance
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
Not just passing in a safe manner, and reducing speed. Also not breaking the speed limit to pass a cyclist. There is the exclusion in the traffic code of crossing the double-yellow line to pass a cyclist. But not breaking the speed limit to do it.

I was on a two-lane blacktop, in a 20mph zone earlier today, when an aggressive motorist was behind me. I was actually going 5mph ABOVE the speed limit, because of the guy practically tailgating me. When the guy crossed the double-yellow line to pass me, he was probably going 30mph. Too bad there wasn't a camera on that section of road.
The road coming to the plant where I work has a 20 mph speed limit, and because it's a slight downhill, then level, I'm usually doing about 22-23 mph as I'm approaching the gate. My fellow employees are some of the rudest, most aggressive drivers, and will often zoom around me at well over this speed, only to cut back in front of me and have to stop, since it is a single lane to go through the gate where the security guard is checking ID.... The really obnoxious ones, I just peddle on by, and pull back in front of them.
Notso_fastLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 05:23 PM   #19
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
Thread Starter
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
The road coming to the plant where I work has a 20 mph speed limit, and because it's a slight downhill, then level, I'm usually doing about 22-23 mph as I'm approaching the gate. My fellow employees are some of the rudest, most aggressive drivers, and will often zoom around me at well over this speed, only to cut back in front of me and have to stop, since it is a single lane to go through the gate where the security guard is checking ID.... The really obnoxious ones, I just peddle on by, and pull back in front of them.
LOL

Three cheers for you, and three smears for the offending driver.

Last edited by Chris516; 02-21-13 at 05:29 PM.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 AM.