Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-13, 02:55 PM   #26
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Not to worry, consider the source and the outlet!!!!
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 03:15 PM   #27
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
The comments are NOT supporting her at all... in fact one comment even went on to note how much more intelligent the commentors were over the original rant.

Sounds like she happened to have a bad day in traffic and was just looking for a scapegoat... too bad she failed to notice all the cars in her way.
I scanned them and did not notice a single one supporting her. I did notice 3 following oen ripping her a new one that supported that post.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 06:01 PM   #28
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
unless it incites road rage and they brake check you....... there are some true idiots out there
If you are in front of the other car as you slow down, how do they brake check you?
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 06:22 PM   #29
Chicago Al 
Senior Member
 
Chicago Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, the leafy NW side
Bikes:
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Not to worry, consider the source and the outlet!!!!
What exactly is the problem with the 'source and the outlet' ?
__________________
I never think I have hit hard, unless it rebounds.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Chicago Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 06:31 PM   #30
GrouchoWretch
Slob
 
GrouchoWretch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Al View Post
What exactly is the problem with the 'source and the outlet' ?
HuffPost, too far right for me.
GrouchoWretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 06:58 PM   #31
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,712
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
I scanned them and did not notice a single one supporting her. I did notice 3 following oen ripping her a new one that supported that post.
+1

I was rather cheered by all the responses.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 07:15 PM   #32
Clarabelle
Senior Member
 
Clarabelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sequim, Washington on the Olympic Peninsula
Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if she has responded to the negative comments? Better yet, has she considered one of the offers to take her riding on a bike?
Clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 08:51 PM   #33
HoustonB
Βanned.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland Oregon
Bikes: 1976 Dawes Galaxy, 1993 Trek 950 Single Track and Made-to-Measure Reynolds 753 road bike with Campag throughout.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbo
... The weight of a car can be 4,000 pounds and a car can reach speeds well over 100 mph
I would seriously love to see this bimbo doing 100 mph anywhere within city limits (that is not a freeway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbo
... and an average rider can only go about 20 mph
LOL.

The above is most of the second paragraph. I think maybe she has reached menopause.
__________________
LOL The End is Nigh (for 80% of middle class North Americans) - I sneer in their general direction.
HoustonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 10:41 PM   #34
GrouchoWretch
Slob
 
GrouchoWretch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, mentalpause.
GrouchoWretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 08:25 AM   #35
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my responce on her blog.

Quote:
"I’ve even been shocked while waiting for a light to turn green to see bicyclists whizzing by my window navigating between cars. Apparently they don’t have to wait for the light to actually turn green if they decide that there are no cars coming."


This is arrogant and irresponsible. I commute by bike daily and do not engage in these a-holish behaviors. In using this as an example of what is wrong with people like me, and ignoring the fact that many who drive cars also engage in boorish behavior, your point fails to have any merit.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 09:17 AM   #36
FenderTL5
Senior Member
 
FenderTL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville TN
Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
The only reason I would ever accept any sort of bike licensing scheme is to raise a middle finger to folks like her... to say "look I have your freakin' license, now f off."

The reality is that my motor vehicle drivers license IS a legal license to drive, and should be plenty sufficient for driving a bike.
Agree. I have a driver's license, there's no need for a primary/secondary one for a bicycle.
FenderTL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 10:57 AM   #37
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Medford, OR
Bikes: Kona MTN bike, Bent TW Elegance
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderTL5 View Post
Agree. I have a driver's license, there's no need for a primary/secondary one for a bicycle.
Yeah, I'd love to show her my DL, with the motorcycle endorsement.
Notso_fastLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 12:01 PM   #38
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,712
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
I have a license. It says Road:3; CX:4; Track:5.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 02:11 PM   #39
kmv2
Senior Member
 
kmv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best reply -

Miguel Corona:
Hey Melissa, I edited it a bit for you:

Whenever I am stuck in traffic, I always assume the cause is too many cars. As I pass by any string of cars while riding in the bike lane, I empathize with the potential victims who have to breathe in their smog and try to keep a calm head out of respect. But recently, I realized the nearly stand still traffic was being caused by an SOV (single occupant vehicle-no passengers, no cargo) and my blood boiled.

I will honestly say that I do believe in sharing the road. The weight of a car can be 4,000 pounds and a car can reach speeds well over 100 mph, though it is illegal to do so on any public road in the US. Furthermore, cars can carry at least two people, though this is rarely practiced. In contrast, the average bicycle weighs about 30 pounds and an average rider can only go about 20 mph and takes up a fraction of the space of a car while producing none of the emissions or wear and tear on the roadway. As many as six bikes can effectively ride in a group and take up the same space as one driver in a large truck or SUV. Thus, the driver of a car assumes far greater responsibility when getting behind the wheel and should always keep this in mind.

But somehow we have decided that the way to coexist is to travel the same roads together in harmony. However, the burden of traveling safely together ultimately depends on the driver using common courtesy, patience, and basic skills necessary for living in a society that encourages diversity and tolerance.

Often, I see an SOV merge into existing traffic and block a lane while signaling impatiently for us to slow down as if we “bike people” are the problem. And if you come up on a pack of SOVs, it is even worse since they have no problem driving side by side, each taking up an entire lane!

I’ve even been shocked while waiting for a light to turn green to see SOVs whizzing through stale yellow or even red lights. Apparently they don’t have to stop and wait for the light to actually turn green if they decide they can floor it and run the light.

Once, I saw an SOV who did decide to wait on the light actually leave their car idling until the light turned green. I fought the urge to knock on their window and explain that I did not appreciate breathing the disgusting fumes from their car and doing this so they didn't have to experience the slight inconvenience of public transportation or carpooling was not part of our deal.

This arrogance increases threefold if an SOV is “customized” or "oversized" Apparently, a car that has an extra logo or two on it along with the modifications to make it bigger, faster, or more flashy translates to some extra level of ownership of the asphalt. Sometimes they seem to be tempting someone to hit them.

It does not look like Atlanta will ever create enough public transportation to get SOVs off the main roads. But I do believe there is a solution that would at least make me feel like everyone were being treated a little more fairly.

I want everyone who wants to drive solo on the main road to get a special license and a tag. That certainly isn’t a new idea. Similar efforts have taken place all over the country with HOV and carpool lanes, along with campaigns to promote public transportation, and this is the logical next step. It would also mandate more awareness of the world we live in for everyone.

To pay for the new SOV-specific licensing and the enforcement, the measure would require SOVs to take an awareness class and pay a fee for registration via a special license plate for all SOVs.

By having special license plates on SOVs, the hope is that this would lead to more responsible behavior and make it easier to hold drivers accountable for their actions.

At least if I were behind an SOV with a special license plate, I would know that my extra ten minutes in traffic were the result of some ignorance on the part of the driver and not just a flippant disregard for all the other tax paying citizens on the road who are doing their best to conserve resources.

To truly share the road and this earth, we must all share the responsibility and accountability for the decisions we make.
kmv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 12:02 AM   #40
Bikepacker67
Banned
 
Bikepacker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ogopogo's shoreline
Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke
Posts: 4,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a lovely little blonde hater.

Who wants to bet that while piloting her global warming machine, she has a cellphone stuck to her noggin?
Bikepacker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 08:56 AM   #41
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 15,044
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmv2 View Post
Best reply -

Miguel Corona:
Hey Melissa, I edited it a bit for you:

Whenever I am stuck in traffic, I always assume the cause is too many cars. As I pass by any string of cars while riding in the bike lane, I empathize with the potential victims who have to breathe in their smog and try to keep a calm head out of respect. But recently, I realized the nearly stand still traffic was being caused by an SOV (single occupant vehicle-no passengers, no cargo) and my blood boiled.

I will honestly say that I do believe in sharing the road. The weight of a car can be 4,000 pounds and a car can reach speeds well over 100 mph, though it is illegal to do so on any public road in the US. Furthermore, cars can carry at least two people, though this is rarely practiced. In contrast, the average bicycle weighs about 30 pounds and an average rider can only go about 20 mph and takes up a fraction of the space of a car while producing none of the emissions or wear and tear on the roadway. As many as six bikes can effectively ride in a group and take up the same space as one driver in a large truck or SUV. Thus, the driver of a car assumes far greater responsibility when getting behind the wheel and should always keep this in mind.

But somehow we have decided that the way to coexist is to travel the same roads together in harmony. However, the burden of traveling safely together ultimately depends on the driver using common courtesy, patience, and basic skills necessary for living in a society that encourages diversity and tolerance.

Often, I see an SOV merge into existing traffic and block a lane while signaling impatiently for us to slow down as if we “bike people” are the problem. And if you come up on a pack of SOVs, it is even worse since they have no problem driving side by side, each taking up an entire lane!

I’ve even been shocked while waiting for a light to turn green to see SOVs whizzing through stale yellow or even red lights. Apparently they don’t have to stop and wait for the light to actually turn green if they decide they can floor it and run the light.

Once, I saw an SOV who did decide to wait on the light actually leave their car idling until the light turned green. I fought the urge to knock on their window and explain that I did not appreciate breathing the disgusting fumes from their car and doing this so they didn't have to experience the slight inconvenience of public transportation or carpooling was not part of our deal.

This arrogance increases threefold if an SOV is “customized” or "oversized" Apparently, a car that has an extra logo or two on it along with the modifications to make it bigger, faster, or more flashy translates to some extra level of ownership of the asphalt. Sometimes they seem to be tempting someone to hit them.

It does not look like Atlanta will ever create enough public transportation to get SOVs off the main roads. But I do believe there is a solution that would at least make me feel like everyone were being treated a little more fairly.

I want everyone who wants to drive solo on the main road to get a special license and a tag. That certainly isn’t a new idea. Similar efforts have taken place all over the country with HOV and carpool lanes, along with campaigns to promote public transportation, and this is the logical next step. It would also mandate more awareness of the world we live in for everyone.

To pay for the new SOV-specific licensing and the enforcement, the measure would require SOVs to take an awareness class and pay a fee for registration via a special license plate for all SOVs.

By having special license plates on SOVs, the hope is that this would lead to more responsible behavior and make it easier to hold drivers accountable for their actions.

At least if I were behind an SOV with a special license plate, I would know that my extra ten minutes in traffic were the result of some ignorance on the part of the driver and not just a flippant disregard for all the other tax paying citizens on the road who are doing their best to conserve resources.

To truly share the road and this earth, we must all share the responsibility and accountability for the decisions we make.
FYI - your position and self centered view of autos/bikes is just as silly as hers. Two sides of the same coin. Lack of perspective, selfishness and iconoclast.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 09:00 AM   #42
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
I wonder if she has responded to the negative comments? Better yet, has she considered one of the offers to take her riding on a bike?
I opened a twitter account yesterday, and tweeted her for a response. I looked through her, and associated, web sites and nada. Zip. Nuttin.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 09:07 AM   #43
Yo Spiff 
Carpe Velo
 
Yo Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
Posts: 2,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
FYI - your position and self centered view of autos/bikes is just as silly as hers. Two sides of the same coin. Lack of perspective, selfishness and iconoclast.
I think that was the point of KMV2's rewrite.
__________________
2000 Bianchi Veloce, 199x Bianchi Volpe, 199x Bianchi Boardwalk, 2010 Bianchi Milano, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, 198x Benotto Triathlon. '88 Schwinn Crosscut
Yo Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 09:15 AM   #44
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
Posts: 13,017
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
FYI - your position and self centered view of autos/bikes is just as silly as hers. Two sides of the same coin. Lack of perspective, selfishness and iconoclast.
Your sarcasm detector needs a tune-up.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 09:44 AM   #45
kmv2
Senior Member
 
kmv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
FYI - your position and self centered view of autos/bikes is just as silly as hers. Two sides of the same coin. Lack of perspective, selfishness and iconoclast.
kmv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 09:54 AM   #46
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 15,044
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I understood his point perfectly...and the way in which it was delivered is not effective. It belies an attitude of resentment and duality between cars and bikes...it furthers the mutual silliness.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 10:17 AM   #47
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
. . . iconoclast.
"I do not think you know what that word means"

Inigo Montoya.

"I pride myself on being an iconoclast, and knowing what it means"

Commute Commando
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 10:47 AM   #48
kmv2
Senior Member
 
kmv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
"I do not think you know what that word means"

Inigo Montoya.

"I pride myself on being an iconoclast, and knowing what it means"

Commute Commando
I looked it up.. looks like I kind of fit that definition. What is a fancy word for "afraid of change"?
kmv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 11:59 AM   #49
Bikepacker67
Banned
 
Bikepacker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ogopogo's shoreline
Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke
Posts: 4,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmv2 View Post
I looked it up.. looks like I kind of fit that definition. What is a fancy word for "afraid of change"?
Reactionary?
Bikepacker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 12:45 PM   #50
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ms. Carter wants an audience. Every click on her piece helps.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.