Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/)
-   -   I found this really upsetting (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/886600-i-found-really-upsetting.html)

Gritter 04-28-13 10:48 AM

I found this really upsetting
 

seeker333 04-28-13 11:13 AM

The bicyclists made a poor choice when they decided to ride on Mulholland, where all those idiot racer-wannabees test their sports cars and driving skills. There's thousands of miles of road in CA, they picked a bad location. It was a good thing the motorcycle wasn't flying.

BTW, that particular motorcyclist epitomizes the level of driving competency typically seen on Mulholland - just search Mulholland at Youtube.

Gritter 04-28-13 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeker333 (Post 15562252)
BTW, that particular motorcyclist epitomizes the level of driving competency typically seen on Mulholland

It really upset me because that motorcyclist had no business being on a vehicle he doesn't know how to control, and he's lucky he didn't kill anyone.

I ride both, motor-bike and pedal-bikes, but this was just ridiculous. Bikes are SMALL, compared to cars, and I am shocked they can't share the road - but you're right, I guess that area has a lot of bad pilots.

genec 04-28-13 11:55 AM

First of all this was obviously filmed from many angles... so there were crew on location... how in the world did everyone miss the cyclists being on the road in front of the motorcyclist. Those cyclists did not just suddenly "materialize" right there.

Is this some sort movie shoot gone bad or what?

And last, (very very last...) what is with the girl in white and her buttcrack?

unterhausen 04-28-13 12:00 PM

people shoot there to get the wrecks. Lots of people going too fast for conditions. I suspect the one guy makes a living off of his youtube videos

Toasting a Merlin and a Firefly is going to leave a mark on that guy's insurance

seeker333 04-28-13 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeker333 (Post 15562252)
just search Mulholland at Youtube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genec (Post 15562381)
First of all this was obviously filmed from many angles... so there were crew on location... how in the world did everyone miss the cyclists being on the road in front of the motorcyclist. Those cyclists did not just suddenly "materialize" right there.

Is this some sort movie shoot gone bad or what?

basically amateur jackass-style movies

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mulholland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbdJxFjRe6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwlZiArfnYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72hTSFkYVAo

Great place for a bike ride, huh?

CB HI 04-28-13 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeker333 (Post 15562252)
The bicyclists made a poor choice when they decided to ride on Mulholland, where all those idiot racer-wannabees test their sports cars and driving skills. There's thousands of miles of road in CA, they picked a bad location. It was a good thing the motorcycle wasn't flying.

BTW, that particular motorcyclist epitomizes the level of driving competency typically seen on Mulholland - just search Mulholland at Youtube.

Did not take long to blame the cyclist!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems most of the crashes on Mulholland are single vehicle crashes and I doubt any statistics demonstrate it is any less safe than any of the other thousands of miles of road in CA.

The drivers on Mulholland at least are not talking on their cell phone, texting or playing with the radio. That alone probably over balances against the less skilled motorist.

rekmeyata 04-28-13 08:38 PM

I can't figure out where the motorcyclist's head was at, he didn't ever bother to miss the cyclists, he had two options, either steer to the left of if for some reason that wasn't possible then he should have sideswiped the dirt embankment and slid along that to miss the cyclists. That MC rider was an idiot.

tergal 04-28-13 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeker333 (Post 15562252)
The bicyclists made a poor choice when they decided to ride on Mulholland,


By that logic i should never ride anywhere as there might be "wanna be racers" !!

rekmeyata 04-28-13 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tergal (Post 15563993)
By that logic i should never ride anywhere as there might be "wanna be racers" !!

Yeah that was crazy logic, kind of like saying if a car hits a cyclist you shouldn't be where cars are!

But I too get the feeling this was some sort of stunt gone bad, why were all the cameras there? why was one following the incoming MC? And the film is done by Rnickeymouse who has done a slew of others. It smells of a stunt gone bad. Either the cyclists were part of the stunt or became unwanting participants. I can't imagine why a film company would destroy a Merlin titanium bike when any cheap bike would have had the same effect.

CB HI 04-28-13 11:53 PM

There is always video rolling on the weekends on places like Mulholland and "Tail of the Dragon", if for no other reason than to catch the crashers and self promotion.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Angio Graham 04-29-13 12:03 AM

I grew up 2 miles from that spot and I used to race my motorcycle and car there when I was younger.

I was stupid.

I dont blame the cyclist at all but I will tell all other cyclists to avoid that area like the plague on weekends.

Its a literal public raceway.

Astrozombie 04-29-13 04:41 AM

Just that kind of road, with bros on motorcycles and tuner cars makes me nervous and i have yet to go somewhere like that. If i did i'd probably be alone so a nice flat street where you can see things and you have predictable traffic might actually be a safe haven
^ Makes you wonder why the cops don't camp out and hand out millions of tickets
Also lol @ buttcrack girl, seems like she lives there because she's in every video

shipwreck 04-29-13 06:53 AM

I cannot even speculate on this being a stunt gone wrong or what, but I can't believe how calm everyone was.

When I was sideswiped by a ****** on a harley I was up within seconds, running down the road after the guy, broken bones and all. Not smart, but the whole group of them did ride away fast after slowing to look back...

There is a great road here that starts no where and ends in the ass end of a little town, about 14 miles of super low traffic failed highway system expansion. Lots of curves. Get passed regularly by sport bikes going very fast, fast enough to kill should they hit. Every once in a while one will come as close as possible, but I doubt that they are the experienced riders.

Number400 04-29-13 07:28 AM

Panic and target fixation and an unskilled motorcyclist. Motorcycles fly off the road all the time all summer around here. I used to ride/race motorcycles and guys like that are where cheap motorcycles and parts come from. Sucks that cyclists were involved. There is no excuse for the motorcyclist and I am glad there is video that may help the bicyclists get fair damages.

Matariki 04-29-13 10:22 AM

Target fixation is spot on here. The motorcyclist locked his eyes and couldn't recover. Bad deal.

agent pombero 05-01-13 08:15 PM

Why isn't there a larger police presence at locations like these?

rekmeyata 05-02-13 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent pombero (Post 15577490)
Why isn't there a larger police presence at locations like these?

The police can't be everywhere. If they were everywhere our taxes would be extremely high and we would complain we live in a police state which we're already getting close to that.

Keith99 05-02-13 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tergal (Post 15563993)
By that logic i should never ride anywhere as there might be "wanna be racers" !!

Which eliminates any low traffic road.

10 Wheels 05-02-13 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent pombero (Post 15577490)
Why isn't there a larger police presence at locations like these?

So, How would that help?

EMS crew would be a better option.

rekmeyata 05-02-13 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith99 (Post 15580071)
Which eliminates any low traffic road.

So then your on high traffic roads with people driving like morons. I would much rather take my chances on a low traffic road if I had my choice, but I don't have fear of riding on any of them.

Kactus 05-02-13 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekmeyata (Post 15579173)
The police can't be everywhere. If they were everywhere our taxes would be extremely high and we would complain we live in a police state which we're already getting close to that.

Of course they can't be everywhere but I've been aware of Mulholland Drives reputation for 40 years (and I don't live there) so I'm sure the local cops know what goes on.

rekmeyata 05-02-13 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kactus (Post 15581573)
Of course they can't be everywhere but I've been aware of Mulholland Drives reputation for 40 years (and I don't live there) so I'm sure the local cops know what goes on.

The cops do patrol that area, I use to live in that region too and I saw cops patrol that road, but they can't on the road 24 hours a day. When I was younger we use to race all over the place and we used CB's radios with lookouts at various points to notify us if the cops were coming, today they still do that except they use their cell phones. As soon as cops are coming the racers split.

San Rensho 05-03-13 08:37 AM

That corner is particularly tricky, I believe it tightens then goes off camber. You can see the moto drifting out ward and he can't keep his line.

bemoore 05-03-13 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matariki (Post 15565668)
Target fixation is spot on here. The motorcyclist locked his eyes and couldn't recover. Bad deal.

+1. Motorcyclist even stood the bike up mid corner. If he'd just maintained his lean angle, he'd have easily turned to the inside of the cyclists. His speed (luckily for the cyclists) was WAY below the limit for that bike on a corner that sharp. Target fixation is exactly right.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.