Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-13, 05:39 AM   #26
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 5,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Doubt it. Any traffic ticket that I am aware of cites the specific code or law that was allegedly violated. An LEO might stop a bicyclist and say anything is or isn't legal, but when/if the LEO writes the ticket he has to cite something more concrete than "I say so."
There are generic laws like vehicle code 4.22 "unsafe operation" that could be used for just about anything.
frantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 07:03 AM   #27
bikebuddha 
Senior Member
 
bikebuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Somewhere in time
Bikes:
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Doubt it. Any traffic ticket that I am aware of cites the specific code or law that was allegedly violated. An LEO might stop a bicyclist and say anything is or isn't legal, but when/if the LEO writes the ticket he has to cite something more concrete than "I say so."

I suspect the OP might be misunderstanding what occurred at the traffic stop and why the ticket was issued. Perhaps the language difference may explain it.
As an attorney I can tell you there are many tickets issued that cite no code and their description of the offending contact is nebulous at best.
__________________
The few, the proud, the likely insane, Metro-Atlanta bicycle commuters.
bikebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 10:08 AM   #28
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebuddha View Post
As an attorney I can tell you there are many tickets issued that cite no code and their description of the offending contact is nebulous at best.

Even more nebulous is the the second hand description of the incident from the OP newbie who never came back to provide any clarification.

If the ticket has no code cited and the written description (if there IS any) doesn't describe any illegal action, it doesn't look to this non-lawyer like there should be any problem beating this ticket. Of course it might help if the OP knew what if anything was written on the ticket.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 10:29 AM   #29
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post

If the ticket has no code cited and the written description (if there IS any) doesn't describe any illegal action, it doesn't look to this non-lawyer like there should be any problem beating this ticket. Of course it might help if the OP knew what if anything was written on the ticket.
Many (far too many) tickets are issued that are defective on face, in that there's no clear violation stated, or that the action doesn't match the statute sited. These are easily beaten in court, but it requires an appearance, which can be an expensive and time consuming process, so many opt to plead guilty and pay a fine which is cheaper in the long run.

For many years Connecticut drivers would be cited for "no front plate", front and rear license plates being mandatory in NY and New Jersey. However at the time (maybe still now") the State of Connecticut issued only a single plate, so no CT car ever had a front plate. Dismissal was automatic if you appeared in court, but the court wouldn't accept the defense by mail.

I had an employee who was routinely cited for this violation, and couldn't afford to waste time in traffic court each time. If finally ended when a lawyer friend drew up a letter and served it on the captain of the precinct, threatening to sue him personally if his men weren't trained in the simple fact that there were no front plates on CT cars. Of course it was an empty threat, but the message was understood.

There's no real answer to harassment by citation, but if there's a clear pattern, the best remedy is often through the local TV news. Police command staff hate to be embarrassed, and having a TV reporter stick a microphone in their face while asking whether the cops are writing invalid citations (especially if they're toward the end of the month) to harass certain classes of people, or to make some kind of monthly quota.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 12:19 PM   #30
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Many (far too many) tickets are issued that are defective on face, in that there's no clear violation stated, or that the action doesn't match the statute sited. These are easily beaten in court, but it requires an appearance, which can be an expensive and time consuming process, so many opt to plead guilty and pay a fine which is cheaper in the long run.
True; but:
We don't know if the ticket is defective, since the OP or the bicyclists may have "misunderstood" or misspoke about what happened or why the ticket was issued, if it was issued. In the second, third and fourth hand retelling, and translations there may have been false assumptions, omissions and misunderstanding by the OP or the bicyclists or the LEO involved with the incident or A&S posters, or by all.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 12:34 PM   #31
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
True; but:
We don't know if the ticket is defective, since the OP or the bicyclists may have "misunderstood" or misspoke about what happened or why the ticket was issued, if it was issued. In the second, third and fourth hand retelling, and translations there may have been false assumptions, omissions and misunderstanding by the OP or the bicyclists or the LEO involved with the incident or A&S posters, or by all.
Agreed, we have to be careful in referencing the particular of any post, especially when there's 2nd or 3rh hand info. This is why I try to keep my posts generic and general, letting those directly involved know options, and take whatever action seems appropriate.

I may be lucky, live in the right area, or maybe just less paranoid, but I don't feel there's any great conspiracy against cyclists among drivers or cops. Sure I've run into the occasional TOTAC (terminus of the alimentary canal) out there, as I'm sure most of us have, but they're far and away the exception rather than the rule.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 12:41 PM   #32
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
I may be lucky, live in the right area, or maybe just less paranoid, but I don't feel there's any great conspiracy against cyclists among drivers or cops.
I'd bet on the less paranoid, certainly less than some of the A&S firebrands who spew hysterical rhetoric about the "war" they are fighting in the streets against the motoring public and The Man who represents them.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 12:48 PM   #33
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I'd bet on the less paranoid, certainly less than some of the A&S firebrands who spew hysterical rhetoric about the "war" they are fighting in the streets against the motoring public and The Man who represents them.
I don't know if paranoid is the right work, maybe self-absorbed is closer. People create wars to suit their agendas, then see everything in that context. Many of these warriors see everything as being about the cause, and consider those who should, but font get it as traitors. Years ago, I'll bet that many of these types believed that Carly Simon really wrote a song about them.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 04:37 PM   #34
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
I don't know if paranoid is the right work, maybe self-absorbed is closer. People create wars to suit their agendas, then see everything in that context. Many of these warriors see everything as being about the cause, and consider those who should, but font get it as traitors. Years ago, I'll bet that many of these types believed that Carly Simon really wrote a song about them.
By Jove, I think you got it.

Rather than waiting for the next Carly Simon to sing about the virtues of these self absorbed fellows, they can now post their own edited "battlefield" video to prove to the world that they are brave warriors.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-26-13 at 04:41 PM.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 04:58 PM   #35
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
There's no real answer to harassment by citation, but if there's a clear pattern, the best remedy is often through the local TV news. Police command staff hate to be embarrassed, and having a TV reporter stick a microphone in their face while asking whether the cops are writing invalid citations (especially if they're toward the end of the month) to harass certain classes of people, or to make some kind of monthly quota.
Don't you know that there is no such thing as citation quotas.



That is why it was so odd that in a police station briefing room on the white board, I saw listing of difference traffic offenses, # of tickets issued and the # of tickets remaining to be issued. So they even broke it down by offense.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 02:04 PM   #36
bergerandfries
That gives him a hobby
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Big D
Bikes: 1992 Raliegh Heat and 2008 Bianchi Volpe
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone contacted BikeHouston? http://www.bikehouston.org/
bergerandfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.