Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 119
  1. #1
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    More kids attacking cyclist

    This time it is in Washington DC.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...b5a_story.html

    Odd there are no discriptions of the kids in either the attack on the cyclist or the Metro train.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  2. #2
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    This time it is in Washington DC.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...b5a_story.html

    Odd there are no descriptions of the kids in either the attack on the cyclist or the Metro train.
    I know the cyclist in this incident would disagree with me. But at least it was a bunch of miscreant kids, instead of a drunk driver. There was a drunk driver who drove on to the W&OD bike path in Northern Virginia recently who intentionally ran into a cyclist, then was chased down by a bunch of other cyclists' and eventually arrested by police.
    Last edited by Chris516; 06-13-13 at 03:08 PM.

  3. #3
    Lover of Old Chrome Moly Myosmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    I know the cyclist in this incident would disagree with me. But at least it was a bunch of miscreant kids, instead of a drunk driver. There was a drunk driver who went drove on to the W&OD bike path in Northern Virginia recently who intentionally ran into a cyclist, then was chased down by a bunch of other cyclists' and eventually arrested by police.
    Gotta disagree. I can't call these attackers "miscreants", they weren't stealing cigarettes or breaking windows. This was a group of up to a dozen young people, approximate age unspecified, that viciously attacked a man without provocation or apparent motive other than for the shear rush of the violence. Any time you have a man on the ground and repeatedly kick and punch him in the head IMHO it should be considered attempted homicide. Even a jr high age boy can kick more than hard enough to cause permanently disabling or fatal head injury and, on an adrenaline rush, is unlikely to posess the restraint or even the prerequisite knowledge to control how hard or even how many times they strike.

    A physician speaking at an EMS conference few years ago did a case review of a teenage girl who became disabled after accidentally being kicked in the head during a soccer game. That was one accidental blow, during a sporting event, by another teenage girl. Now imagine the potential of repeated intentional targeted kicks by a pack of attackers.
    Last edited by Myosmith; 06-13-13 at 07:23 AM.
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)
    Posts
    1,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    I know the cyclist in this incident would disagree with me. But at least it was a bunch of miscreant kids, instead of a drunk driver. There was a drunk driver who went drove on to the W&OD bike path in Northern Virginia recently who intentionally ran into a cyclist, then was chased down by a bunch of other cyclists' and eventually arrested by police.
    They are both about the same. The cyclist here was luckily only one misplaced kick away from being just as dead as he would have been in a fatal vehicular collision.

    And, cyclists do survive auto collisions as well, at times.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    My Bikes
    2012 Cervelo R3 Team
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm usually not all that interested in figuring out which sort of dangerous idiot is worse, but it seems pretty clear in this case - drunk driving is an act of spectacular neglect for others rather than an act of deliberate malice. When I'm judging someone's actions, I'm going to look more negatively on the people that cause harm to others for absolutely no reason than someone that makes a bad, neglectful decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Odd there are no discriptions of the kids in either the attack on the cyclist or the Metro train.
    I'd wager I can guess correctly on the approximate ages, races, socioeconomic status, and general appearance of the assailants.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Odd there are no discriptions of the kids in either the attack on the cyclist or the Metro train.
    In my experience, statements like these are racist dog whistles intended to suggest that a) the suspects are <members of some racial minority or other> and, b) the "liberal media" is conspiring to hide how <members of some racial minority or other> are criminals.

    But maybe I've been reading too many local newspaper website comment sections.

  7. #7
    Not quite there yet Matariki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Monkey Bottom
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cmdr. Andrew Solberg, head of the 5th Police District, called the assault isolated. He said officers patrol the trail on foot, bicycle and Segway. “I would like to reassure folks that the trail is very safe,”
    Alternate reality?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, PA, USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Allant
    Posts
    1,445
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, real Clockwork Orange stuff.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)
    Posts
    1,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spivonious View Post
    Wow, real Clockwork Orange stuff.
    That's what I was thinking... Some good old ultra-violence.

  10. #10
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
    Gotta disagree. I can't call these attackers "miscreants", they weren't stealing cigarettes or breaking windows. This was a group of up to a dozen young people, approximate age unspecified, that viciously attacked a man without provocation or apparent motive other than for the shear rush of the violence. Any time you have a man on the ground and repeatedly kick and punch him in the head IMHO it should be considered attempted homicide. Even a jr high age boy can kick more than hard enough to cause permanently disabling or fatal head injury and, on an adrenaline rush, is unlikely to posess the restraint or even the prerequisite knowledge to control how hard or even how many times they strike.

    A physician speaking at an EMS conference few years ago did a case review of a teenage girl who became disabled after accidentally being kicked in the head during a soccer game. That was one accidental blow, during a sporting event, by another teenage girl. Now imagine the potential of repeated intentional targeted kicks by a pack of attackers.
    I referred to them as miscreants, for the very reason they didn't steal anything, when after the gang assault, they could have done so.
    Quote Originally Posted by UberGeek View Post
    They are both about the same. The cyclist here was luckily only one misplaced kick away from being just as dead as he would have been in a fatal vehicular collision.

    And, cyclists do survive auto collisions as well, at times.
    True

  11. #11
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,491
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, is subconscious jealousy a factor? Those who attack cyclists for no apparent reasons usually don't own or ride bikes themselves, and a man on the bike is likely to look happier than a pedestrian (even more than a driver)

  12. #12
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Hmm, is subconscious jealousy a factor? Those who attack cyclists for no apparent reasons usually don't own or ride bikes themselves, and a man on the bike is likely to look happier than a pedestrian (even more than a driver)
    I don't see it as a jealousy factor. Because, If it was, I would think, they would have taken his bike, money, and keys. More like a bunch of kids that get a high from creating mayhem.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    My Bikes
    2012 Cervelo R3 Team
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Hmm, is subconscious jealousy a factor? Those who attack cyclists for no apparent reasons usually don't own or ride bikes themselves, and a man on the bike is likely to look happier than a pedestrian (even more than a driver)
    I think you're looking too deep. They're just worthless little scumbags that are amused by hurting other people. The same type of kids beat down pedestrians too.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Essex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northeast United States
    My Bikes
    Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These punks are just looking for trouble and taking it out on anything, or anyone they deem an easy target. With school out, no summer jobs and nothing of value about - these punks will do the next best thing - inflict hurt. Some solid policing, video cameras and time before a court judge and juvy will take some of these kids off the street. That said -these types of incidences indicate trouble with the social network in the DC Metro/Urban area.

  15. #15
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    In my experience, statements like these are racist dog whistles intended to suggest that a) the suspects are <members of some racial minority or other> and, b) the "liberal media" is conspiring to hide how <members of some racial minority or other> are criminals.

    But maybe I've been reading too many local newspaper website comment sections.
    Then your experience is not worth crap. If I were currently riding that trail, I would want as detailed a description as possible, yes race, but also clothing, hair style, backpacks, any gang colors, etc.

    Check the video in another story of the attack linked below. Whites, black and hispanics use this trail, so the attackers could have been any race. To me, it is raciest playing the PC card and not identifying the race of the kids that could have killed the cyclist.

    http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2257727...#axzz2W8XKLrPk

    Another disturbing note in this second story is the issue that DC police have known this trail was not safe since March and will not get serious about fixing the problem until June 24. Yet the first story posted claims the trail is safe.
    Last edited by CB HI; 06-13-13 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  16. #16
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not a matter of racism. It is a matter of experience. My (ex)wife was living in the Wheaton-Glenmont area in the late 1980's with her parents', only a couple miles from where this took place. It was during the time of drugs being rampant in D.C.. Every time I went down there, I was thinking about how I would have felt safer in D.C., than I would in the Silver Spring/Wheaton/Glenmont area. I detested that area because it felt so unsafe.

  17. #17
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    6,962
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    In my experience, statements like these are racist dog whistles intended to suggest that a) the suspects are <members of some racial minority or other> and, b) the "liberal media" is conspiring to hide how <members of some racial minority or other> are criminals.

    But maybe I've been reading too many local newspaper website comment sections.
    ...........to pretend this is not about race is to deny a good part of the dynamic of living in this part of D.C.

    You can call that statement racist if you wish to do so, I will not be offended.


    On occasion, race is a genuine factor in various areas of the nation's capital. Pretending otherwise is down the rabbit hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Australian Book of Atheism
    There is only no god, and Cyclaholic is his prophet.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)
    Posts
    1,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I ride past black people, white people, asian people, and hispanic people every day; without incident.

    How am I supposed to quantify that?

  19. #19
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    ...........to pretend this is not about race is to deny a good part of the dynamic of living in this part of D.C.

    You can call that statement racist if you wish to do so, I will not be offended.


    On occasion, race is a genuine factor in various areas of the nation's capital. Pretending otherwise is down the rabbit hole.
    Race pursuant to the artilcle, doesn't mean diddly, even though, there is predominant racial makeup in that area. Because the article never says what race the kids were. So it is unfair to presume one race or another, of the kids.

  20. #20
    Senior Member curbtender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area, East bay
    My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really is a matter for the police. No one here will solve this. Sounds like someone got out of hand.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    20,680
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post

    Another disturbing note in this second story is the issue that DC police have known this trail was not safe since March and will not get serious about fixing the problem until June 24. Yet the first story posted claims the trail is safe.
    The police aren't getting more serious about it at all, or they have been all along. The Ranger patrol starting 6/24 is a volunteer effort, not stepped up police presence.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  22. #22
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    Really is a matter for the police. No one here will solve this. Sounds like someone got out of hand.
    It is not uncommon in that region of the county for behavior like that to happen. So again, race makes no difference.

  23. #23
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    The police aren't getting more serious about it at all, or they have been all along. The Ranger patrol starting 6/24 is a volunteer effort, not stepped up police presence.
    In that sense, it doesn't matter, if it is the MPD(DC), or the MCPD(MD). They are both lax when it comes to taking cyclists' safety seriously.

  24. #24
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    6,962
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    riiiight..........

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    Race pursuant to the artilcle, doesn't mean diddly, even though, there is predominant racial makeup in that area.
    Because the article never says what race the kids were. So it is unfair to presume one race or another, of the kids.


    http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by The Australian Book of Atheism
    There is only no god, and Cyclaholic is his prophet.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    20,680
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    In that sense, it doesn't matter, if it is the MPD(DC), or the MCPD(MD). They are both lax when it comes to taking cyclists' safety seriously.
    This isn't a cyclist thing, it's a who's available thing. These kids would have attacked a pedestrian if one were handy.

    Problem is that cyclists often ride solo in places that they wouldn't walk, but unfortunately aren't that much faster than pedestrians, and don't have locking doors or windows to roll up like motorists. That makes them nice targets for thugs. (I'm not saying cyclists are at fault here, just stating a fact).

    Years ago when Central Park in NYC was a zoo, joggers knew to stay in groups, but many cyclists would ride alone, and became easy targets as they slowed down climbing the hill coming south from 110th street. In one incident, the police sent two undercovers on bikes, who were jumped and overwhelmed by a gang, losing both bikes and much more important both guns. Fortunately they weren't too badly hurt except for their pride.

    Safety in parks and trails is a numbers game. Thugs like good odds, so 6 of them want to jump 1 victim. If their targets come out in larger numbers the thugs go look for easier pickings. Numbers is how we took back the parks in NYC, and ultimately it'll be numbers that secure these trails.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •