Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46
  1. #26
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,990
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skcuf View Post
    What about if I want to go on a ride with my fiancee? She doesn't ride a motorcycle so she doesn't have the experience or situational awareness that she needs. Should I keep her in front of me? Next to me? Behind me? Should I just leave her at home and find a trail to ride on with her?
    Start on off-road paths or the quietest roads you can find. When I ride with my wife she wants me to be in front so she can just follow me, and I want her to be in front so I know I haven't dropped her. It gets a little tiresome having to keep looking back to see if she's just in a spot where I didn't see her the first time or has fallen back.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  2. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
    I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. Living in a city is greener in every way, from driving to waste disposal to energy demand. I am not Google, so I'm not going to give you an education, but look it up. I'm not saying living in the country is bad in any way--I grew up in a small town and I love the country. But being "green" does not mean being surrounded by grass.
    Being "green" is something that was invented because of overpopulation. If there weren't so many people then we wouldn't have any issues with this. I don't know what "education" you're trying to give me but as far as I can tell it's called going green because green is the color of plant life. Plant life converts carbon dioxide into oxygen which we are able to breathe. The air quality is garbage in cities for a reason. The "green initiative" is because there are too many people that screwed up the atmosphere in the area.

    If you're trying to tell me that people in cities are "greener" than the people in the town where I came from you need a swift kick in the pants. Bicycles, carpooling, horses, and horse and buggies are all modes of transportation from where I come from. Fairly sure you can guess where I'm from now with the description of travel options.

  3. #28
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,185
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to argue with you, my friend, but you are totally wrong and you should educate yourself.

    A quick primer: http://e360.yale.edu/feature/greenes...ou_think/2203/
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson) San Remo Plus, 1989 Trek 520, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    My Bikes
    2012 Cervelo R3 Team
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air quality in cities is crap because of population density (broadly speaking), not because the individuals there have higher average emissions. This seems so obvious that it shouldn't really need to be stated.

  5. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
    I'm not going to argue with you, my friend, but you are totally wrong and you should educate yourself.

    A quick primer: http://e360.yale.edu/feature/greenes...ou_think/2203/
    So New Yorkers are greener than the Amish/Mennonites? Got it. Average New Yorker consumes 90 gallons of gasoline per year. 90 * 8.245 million = 7.42 Billion gallons of gasoline. The 545 gallons multiplied by the largest city in Vermont, as per the article you sent, would be 545 * 40,000. This makes 21.8 million gallons of gasoline for that city. This also doesn't factor in that the majority of those 40k residents are probably nowhere near the average for the rest of the state of vermont.

    A person can read whatever they want into a survey or statistics but the results and facts are this. Air quality, water quality, soil quality, and food quality are all better when you're not in the city. This is because the mass numbers of people living in such tall buildings pollute and don't care about anything. Walking around New York City there is trash everywhere in the streets and even more being thrown there every day. Water usage is more efficient in city areas, but the water is of lower quality. I also doubt that factors into people using things such as wells on their personal property or the irrigation systems that go into farming.

    The air quality will never be good in cities because the height of buildings/levels of congestion/and lack of plant life don't allow for the air to be properly circulated and recycled. Yet these are the same people who preach of recycling products...

    I'm sorry you're naive enough to believe that city living is healthy in any way shape or form, but I am also done debating with you. Maybe some day you'll see the light, but I highly doubt it. I will agree that you disagree with me, but not that I am wrong.

    One more thing, I use less gas than the average New Yorker every year and accomplish much more due to me having a motorcycle.

  6. #31
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,185
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about. Most of your points are way off and exhibit poor logic. But it doesn't matter.
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson) San Remo Plus, 1989 Trek 520, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  7. #32
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    Start on off-road paths or the quietest roads you can find. When I ride with my wife she wants me to be in front so she can just follow me, and I want her to be in front so I know I haven't dropped her. It gets a little tiresome having to keep looking back to see if she's just in a spot where I didn't see her the first time or has fallen back.
    +1000. Less experienced rider in front.

    See: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-with-Children

    I do it with 5.
    Last edited by delcrossv; 07-22-13 at 10:40 AM.
    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  8. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    +1000. Less experienced rider in front.

    See: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-with-Children

    I do it with 5.
    This is kind of what I was thinking. Not only can I keep an eye on her in case of any accidents or mistakes, but I will also be the one to get rear ended if someone decides that their phone is worth more than my life.

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1
    Posts
    404
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, when you do ride in the road, the more experienced cyclist can take the lane when you need to change to a turn lane etc, which then gives the less experienced a safer buffer to move into the other lane. Of course in this situation, both need a clear understanding of where you are going.

  10. #35
    Gone.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skcuf View Post
    A person can read whatever they want into a survey or statistics but the results and facts are this. Air quality, water quality, soil quality, and food quality are all better when you're not in the city. This is because the mass numbers of people living in such tall buildings pollute and don't care about anything. Walking around New York City there is trash everywhere in the streets and even more being thrown there every day. Water usage is more efficient in city areas, but the water is of lower quality. I also doubt that factors into people using things such as wells on their personal property or the irrigation systems that go into farming.
    http://e360.yale.edu/feature/greenes...ou_think/2203/

    The point that is being made, and which you are studiously ignoring, is that New Yorkers (for example) produce much less pollution per capita than suburban or rural populations. And those tall buildings are vastly more energy efficient than single-family homes. If you took the population of New York City and spread everybody out into low-density, single-family housing, they would produce more garbage, use more energy, and create more air pollution than they do living in the city. A lot more. This is not a matter of opinion, or perspective. It's a simple fact.

    Oh, and by the way, the water quality in New York City has one of the best water systems in the world. The tap water there is excellent.

    Atlanta, on the other hand, is the poster child for how to do everything completely wrong from an environmental perspective.
    My speculation was that it applies to some degree in cycling, and I used the previous proof as my reasoning, but I can't prove how exactly it applies to it and to what degree. That, I have admitted, is speculation based on reasoning, but not at this point provable.

  11. #36
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,698
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skcuf View Post
    Hey everyone. I grew up in a small town of maybe 2,500 people so I'm unsure how to go about riding in a more densely populated area. I have moved to the metro area of Atlanta in the past year and because of it I've had a fear of riding my bike.
    I don't think I could ride a bike for transportation in Atlanta, that town is INSANE.

    I suppose with very careful consideration of workplace, home and nearest grocery store locations I might be able to pull it off but more than likely once I got to the ATL I'd become a weekend warrior, loading the bike into the car and driving to a parking lot near a good stretch of road for riding.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    21,200
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corvuscorvax View Post
    The point that is being made, and which you are studiously ignoring, is that New Yorkers (for example) produce much less pollution per capita than suburban or rural populations..... It's a simple fact.
    Nothing is simple when we talk about being green. (in the sense of minimum environmental impact)

    Yes, city living can be pretty green in terms of carbon footprint, but there are offsets such as food transport fuel, etc.

    OTOH, if someone lives in a well insulated home in the country, and heats with wood cut sustainably (same rate as regrowth) then there is zero carbon emission for heat since it's a closed cycle. Of course there are other considerations, such as whether food is grown locally or not, and how much transportation is used, for how far.

    The issue shouldn't be who's greener, but what you've done personally to lower your own footprint. Otherwise it's becomes an endless apples/oranges debate.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  13. #38
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,185
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good points, FB.
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson) San Remo Plus, 1989 Trek 520, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  14. #39
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,990
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
    I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. Living in a city is greener in every way, from driving to waste disposal to energy demand. I am not Google, so I'm not going to give you an education, but look it up. I'm not saying living in the country is bad in any way--I grew up in a small town and I love the country. But being "green" does not mean being surrounded by grass.
    Greener in every way? Like the way city apartment blocks all face one way so you can't get a through draught and end up using air conditioning to keep cool because your windows face the full glare of the sun? Or the way vehicles sit going nowhere but still burning fuel, returning a massive 0mpg while doing 0mph. Of course in cities it's easier to walk where you're going than it is in the countryside.

    I'd say the Amish lifestyle is probably about as green as it gets and they don't live in cities.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  15. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    My Bikes
    2012 Cervelo R3 Team
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    The issue shouldn't be who's greener, but what you've done personally to lower your own footprint.
    Short of applying an enormous discount rate to greenhouse gas production, the number one thing an individual can do to be green in the long run is to choose not to have children. Do that and you can basically drive a Hummer a hundred miles a day and your long run GHG contribution will be lower than just about any family man.

  16. #41
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonub View Post
    Short of applying an enormous discount rate to greenhouse gas production, the number one thing an individual can do to be green in the long run is to choose not to have children. Do that and you can basically drive a Hummer a hundred miles a day and your long run GHG contribution will be lower than just about any family man.
    I'll keep the kids and ride a bike.
    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  17. #42
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,185
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post

    I'd say the Amish lifestyle is probably about as green as it gets and they don't live in cities.
    The Amish are very atypical. Using them as an example of the average person doesn't make sense.

    As to your point about using AC, etc, per capita electric use in cities is lower than in the country--where they use AC too, shockingly. Yes, cars get caught in traffic, but they are used far less overall. I recognize that there are trade offs, but on the whole it is not debatable that it is greener to live in a city (for the average person)--it just is simple fact.
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson) San Remo Plus, 1989 Trek 520, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  18. #43
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeters11 View Post
    Also, when you do ride in the road, the more experienced cyclist can take the lane when you need to change to a turn lane etc, which then gives the less experienced a safer buffer to move into the other lane. Of course in this situation, both need a clear understanding of where you are going.
    Might I suggest finding a local social cycling club. (Not racers or wannabes)?

    It offers many huge advantages.

    It is much more comfortable and safer riding in a social pack.

    Most clubs have routes. It is a pain free way to find a lot of preferred routes.

    For anyone it gives the chance to make cycling friends.

    And those friends are a real godsend when there is a gap in the abilities of a couple. It gives both a chance to ride separately. The weaker rider gets to ride some of the time without feeling they are holding the other back.

    If you are lucky enough to find a club like I did, that was rather large, there may even be routes that are related where the better rider can take the longer variation for the first part and then join their partner at the main rest stop and continue as a couple for the second half of the ride.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

  19. #44
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,990
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
    The Amish are very atypical. Using them as an example of the average person doesn't make sense.

    As to your point about using AC, etc, per capita electric use in cities is lower than in the country--where they use AC too, shockingly. Yes, cars get caught in traffic, but they are used far less overall. I recognize that there are trade offs, but on the whole it is not debatable that it is greener to live in a city (for the average person)--it just is simple fact.
    Without looking into every aspect of urban and rural life (things like the ease of getting around compared to the need to ship produce in from further afield etc) it seems pointless to get into an endless "oh yes it is", "oh no it isn't" discussion. Whether the comparison is relevant would depend on how well each individual is represented by this mysterious "average person". I'd suggest it's more useful to look at ways in which an urban lifestyle can be more or less environmentally friendly and ways in which a rural lifestyle can be more or less environmentally friendly. It seems to me living in one town and working in another town 100 miles away is less environmentally friendly than living in a village and working in the same village, for example. Of course if you live in an apartment block and work in the offices underneath the apartments your travel costs (both financial and environmental) are reduced to about as close to zero as you'll ever get.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  20. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
    Might I suggest finding a local social cycling club. (Not racers or wannabes)?

    It offers many huge advantages.

    It is much more comfortable and safer riding in a social pack.

    Most clubs have routes. It is a pain free way to find a lot of preferred routes.

    For anyone it gives the chance to make cycling friends.

    And those friends are a real godsend when there is a gap in the abilities of a couple. It gives both a chance to ride separately. The weaker rider gets to ride some of the time without feeling they are holding the other back.

    If you are lucky enough to find a club like I did, that was rather large, there may even be routes that are related where the better rider can take the longer variation for the first part and then join their partner at the main rest stop and continue as a couple for the second half of the ride.
    The problem with this is that I don't like socializing. It's difficult for me and I would rather avoid it if at all possible. TBH I don't know how I have a fiancee...

  21. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1
    Posts
    404
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my group ride, there isn't that much socializing. The ride leader goes over the announcements, everyone checks in. During the ride, the talk is all business: car back, I've got the lane, making sure everyone is ready after everyone is caught up. After the ride, everyone goes home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •