Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    On my bike...
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Really? (Drunk Drivers)

    I came in to work today (BC Ferries) and the morning crew told me a scary (though not shocking story).

    Today's 08:00 sailing loaded and departed and a passenger reported a drunk driver aboard. The passenger also reported the drunk driver to police, and the crew coorrdinated with the RCMP to ensure they (the police) were there on the ship's arrival.

    Our normal practice is to unload until we get to the vehicle the police want to stop, then stop discharge so there is no one behind the car they want. The driver in question was so drunk (remember, the ship left at 8 am) that the crew couldn't wake him up to drive off. The RCMP had to come aboard, and one of the officers had to drive the vehicle off. Keep in mind this guy would have been on the road before 8 AM to get to the ferry, then had he gone unnoticed, again at 9:30 AM.

  2. #2
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If...I...can...just...*hic*...make...it...to...*hic*...the...ferry..."

    Then he could sleep it off. At least until some nosy ferry employees got involved.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,793
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    "If...I...can...just...*hic*...make...it...to...*hic*...the...ferry..."

    Then he could sleep it off. At least until some nosy ferry employees got involved.
    I tellya, damned do-gooders anyway, trying to keep people safe and all -- what's up with them? They're stunting that guys' shrinkage...........................

  4. #4
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once saw a drunk driver pass out and plow into a light pole. The crash did not even wake him up, nor could anyone responding.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  5. #5
    Lover of Old Chrome Moly Myosmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Honest Occifer, I'm not half as think as you drunk I am. I'm perfectly helpable of caping myself. I've only had ti martwonies . . . OK, take me drunk, I'm home."
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

  6. #6
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,800
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
    "Honest Occifer, I'm not half as think as you drunk I am. I'm perfectly helpable of caping myself. I've only had ti martwonies . . . OK, take me drunk, I'm home."
    " No, Occifer, I'm serfectly pober, I only have ti martwonies, If youse dink I'm trunk, youse awsta see my firlgrend. Sheese wearying her nylonzzz on her arms and everys time I kiss herz sheese goes Phhhhhhhhhht."

    Yeah, I think I've met this guy a few times during my lifetime.

  7. #7
    Don from Austin Texas
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Posts
    1,165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    " No, Occifer, I'm serfectly pober, I only have ti martwonies, If youse dink I'm trunk, youse awsta see my firlgrend. Sheese wearying her nylonzzz on her arms and everys time I kiss herz sheese goes Phhhhhhhhhht."

    Yeah, I think I've met this guy a few times during my lifetime.
    I WAS that guy until about 25 years ago. Miracle I didn't kill myself or others. Deserved thousands of DUIs and never got one. Enjoying my ethanol-free body these days.

    Don in Austin

  8. #8
    Lover of Old Chrome Moly Myosmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Don
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

  9. #9
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,997
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
    "Honest Occifer, I'm not half as think as you drunk I am. I'm perfectly helpable of caping myself. I've only had ti martwonies . . . OK, take me drunk, I'm home."
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    " No, Occifer, I'm serfectly pober, I only have ti martwonies, If youse dink I'm trunk, youse awsta see my firlgrend. Sheese wearying her nylonzzz on her arms and everys time I kiss herz sheese goes Phhhhhhhhhht."

    Yeah, I think I've met this guy a few times during my lifetime.
    lol

    Those are even better than one I heard on M*A*S*H

    'I'm not think as you drunk I am'.
    Last edited by Chris516; 07-20-13 at 11:52 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,800
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    I WAS that guy until about 25 years ago. Miracle I didn't kill myself or others. Deserved thousands of DUIs and never got one. Enjoying my ethanol-free body these days.

    Don in Austin
    There's been a few times in many years past that I should have received a CUI, but didn't. Since my children work for a local brewery, I will support their employment by having a couple of their brewery's beer every so often.

    I also congratulate you.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Worknomore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SE Michigan
    My Bikes
    Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course I'm driving!! I'm too drunk to walk
    Litespeed Blue Ridge, Serotta Colorado CRL, Cannondale Delta-V, Bacchetta Ti-Aero

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Time & Space
    My Bikes
    3 good used ones
    Posts
    1,192
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cvskates View Post
    I came in to work today (BC Ferries) and the morning crew told me a scary (though not shocking story).

    Today's 08:00 sailing loaded and departed and a passenger reported a drunk driver aboard. The passenger also reported the drunk driver to police, and the crew coorrdinated with the RCMP to ensure they (the police) were there on the ship's arrival.

    Our normal practice is to unload until we get to the vehicle the police want to stop, then stop discharge so there is no one behind the car they want. The driver in question was so drunk (remember, the ship left at 8 am) that the crew couldn't wake him up to drive off. The RCMP had to come aboard, and one of the officers had to drive the vehicle off. Keep in mind this guy would have been on the road before 8 AM to get to the ferry, then had he gone unnoticed, again at 9:30 AM.
    He obviously handled his crap well since he made it to the ferry without hitting anything. THey should have just let him sleep it off.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Time & Space
    My Bikes
    3 good used ones
    Posts
    1,192
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Worknomore View Post
    Of course I'm driving!! I'm too drunk to walk
    Damned straight.


    THat's why cars have four wheels.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Time & Space
    My Bikes
    3 good used ones
    Posts
    1,192
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    I WAS that guy until about 25 years ago. Miracle I didn't kill myself or others. Deserved thousands of DUIs and never got one. Enjoying my ethanol-free body these days.

    Don in Austin
    I wonder how many of us here on BF led unhealthy lifestyles until we finally found the two-wheeled outlet with which to release our inner demons. Lord knows I made my share of poor decisions---thousands of them---before I found a better way of living.

  15. #15
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baron von trail View Post
    I wonder how many of us here on BF led unhealthy lifestyles until we finally found the two-wheeled outlet with which to release our inner demons.
    For me it was financial. I drank a tanker truck worth of beer during college because it was generally free or dirt cheap. After college when I had to start paying for the stuff I gave it up (I never liked the taste of alcohol much to begin with). Apparently I was lucky with genetics and had no problem just moving on.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Worknomore View Post
    Of course I'm driving!! I'm too drunk to walk
    That's why tadpole trikes are made.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

  17. #17
    Banned Bikepacker67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ogopogo's shoreline
    My Bikes
    LHT, Kona Smoke
    Posts
    4,063
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cvskates View Post
    I came in to work today (BC Ferries) .
    Boy, you guys get no love.
    I live in Penticton, so I don't deal with ferries, but everytime your place of work is the topic of the CBC, it seems someone's slagging on your underfunded butts.

  18. #18
    Banned Bikepacker67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ogopogo's shoreline
    My Bikes
    LHT, Kona Smoke
    Posts
    4,063
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baron von trail View Post
    I wonder how many of us here on BF led unhealthy lifestyles until we finally found the two-wheeled outlet with which to release our inner demons.
    Stop calling me out.


    My bad lifestyle consisted of a corporate job and a corpulent belly - helped along by beer of course; both.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    On my bike...
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikepacker67 View Post
    it seems someone's slagging on your underfunded butts.
    If you want to work here you have to learn to seperate yourself and your job from the politics. All I can do is get the boat back and forth safely, be nice to the passengers, keep the crew motivated, and try to keep the whole thing on time. Everything else is well above my pay-grade. In public I generally don't tell people where I work because everyone has a ferry horror story, and they have no interest in hearing a reasonable explanation of what happened.

    And if you take my ferry (or any ferry), please be nice to the crew; none of the stuff that pisses you off is their fault.

  20. #20
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cvskates View Post
    And if you take my ferry (or any ferry), please be nice to the crew; none of the stuff that pisses you off is their fault.
    There's CREW???

    Just funning with you. Sorry.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  21. #21
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,997
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    For me it was financial. I drank a tanker truck worth of beer during college because it was generally free or dirt cheap. After college when I had to start paying for the stuff I gave it up (I never liked the taste of alcohol much to begin with). Apparently I was lucky with genetics and had no problem just moving on.
    I feel the same way about the taste. To me it tastes like foot odor smells.

  22. #22
    Transportation Cyclist turbo1889's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Montana U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle
    Posts
    1,206
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to drunk bicycle driver stories, I have one of those (not me) where I witnessed an individual going through a parking lot late at night when I got off work and he ran straight into a light pole head on at speed. I ran over to him to see if he was okay or not and when I got within about eight feet or so of him I could smell the alcohol and when I asked him what happened he said he saw two light poles and tried to go in-between the two of them (there was only one) !!! I was really surprised someone could be that drunk and successfully balance a two wheeled bike.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Scott Speedster S20
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big question is, if he was that drunk, was he even intending to board a ferry?

  24. #24
    Senior Member Pibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    AdMo
    My Bikes
    cannondales 84 ST500; 87SR500; 95 CAAD 3 Silk Road 500; 99 CAAD 3 Frameset(project)
    Posts
    466
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not sure if this is the place, and i hope i don't offend anybody, but i was that dude until Dec 9 '12. i had just started a new job, went out with the crew after work one night, dropped my friends and a new co-worker off, and headed home.

    it had sprinkled a little while i was dropping people off. by the time i dropped the last person off i was well into the drunk. no drink and drive, but it started to settle in, if you know what i mean. i got downtown by the hospital, rounded the circle and lost the back end of the car and hit two parked cars. right in front of the hospital.

    i freaked out. i've never been in an accident that was my fault. i'd never even been close to an accident when i'd driven buzzed or drunk(too many of those days in my youth to count). i drove on. i got home with a demolished front end. thankfully, the rodeo i was driving was a tough POS and bore the brunt of the collision right on the bumper, but lost most of the plastic grill and and the headlights. somehow, one light was still in the housing and worked.

    i haven't driven since, and i never will again. i just can't do it. my drinking has dropped to a minimum(three beers gets me nice and buzzed/drunk) and i like it that way.

    i'm completely wary of any and all drivers, now. you never know who's alert, distracted, angry, much less drunk. i can't tell you how lucky i was that nobody was in either of those cars. don't know if i'd be here to ride a bike today if i'd hurt anybody. i really don't know.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,736
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RideroftheStorm View Post
    The big question is, if he was that drunk, was he even intending to board a ferry?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •