Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 123
  1. #26
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,815
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
    Its very easy to look up personal info associated with a license plate number even in states like CA. Contact a PI or attorney and they can help you out. There are also web sites that contain public records based on data dumps. Accessing this data may be illegal in your state so I'm not posting links.
    It may be easy in some aspects, but be prepared for any legal repercussions, one of our local LEOs had legal charges brought against him for accessing the license plate data base to conduct non law enforcement activities, similar in ways to CB's.

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    My Bikes
    2004 LeMond Reno, 200? LeMond Buenos Aires, 199? Peugeot, 199? Yokota Yosemite, 199? GT Tequesta, 198? Bianchi Sport, 1984 Nishiki Prestige, 197? Gitane TDF
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    I wasn't referring to just garnering one's email, but having an average citizen easily accessing a motorist's name and driving record from their license plate number, and then use that information to garner even more info, as in your case.
    He used publicly available information only to determine contact information...no different than looking up someones name and address in the telephone book, to call this stalking is beyond ridiculous.

    This scenario is exactly why vehicles have license plates...to identify otherwise anonymous owners. Rather than having his lawyer write her a courtesy letter, he did it himself. Another option would've been to file a police report to create a recorded history of her harassing cyclists.

    Allowing these things to go unaccounted serves to perpetuate repeated unlawful behavior under a veil of anonymity.
    Rat-Race Spinwerks:
    The Retread, Sew, Shave, Sipe, and Stud Specialist

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    My Bikes
    2011 Look 566, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800, '87 d'Arienzo-Basso w/full Campy & '51 Rudge Sports
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, any response from the offending driver?
    Current Rides, Look 566 & d' Arienzo-Basso Daily Rides. Cannondale 800 Optimo, utility bike.

  4. #29
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Plano, TX
    My Bikes
    1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by look566 rider View Post
    So, any response from the offending driver?
    Again, like the OP you are ASSUMING that the person who shouted at him is in fact the owner of the licensed car...

  5. #30
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,815
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Rat View Post
    He used publicly available information only to determine contact information...no different than looking up someones name and address in the telephone book,to call this stalking is beyond ridiculous.
    I did not refer CB's actions as stalking, all I said that CB's feat cannot be replicated in our state due it's anti stalking law. If CB wants to gain access to a motorist's info, he will have to go through legal channels and not quickly look it up anonymously from the internet, and then his actions will be recorded.
    Last edited by dynodonn; 07-27-13 at 08:42 AM.

  6. #31
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,815
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanoFuji View Post
    Again, like the OP you are ASSUMING that the person who shouted at him is in fact the owner of the licensed car...
    That's one of the first questions that law enforcement dispatchers ask me, driver description, when I call in an offending motorist's license number. Gotta prove who was driving at the time, hopefully CB didn't get it wrong.

  7. #32
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Plano, TX
    My Bikes
    1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Rat View Post
    Another option would've been to file a police report to create a recorded history of her harassing cyclists.
    This would have been the more proper response if he in fact felt the need--after all he claims the vehicle violated the harassment LAW. Instead the OP took it upon himself to contact a person HE ASSUMES is the one who bothered him. From a look at the OP's past posts he has a history of such stalking behaviour. Including showing up at the home of folks he believes were driving vehicles that offended him.

    Again, I an linking to a post that would be a good read for all of those who think the OP was right to do what he did.

    http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2011/0...bike-club.html

    Another poster on this forum has a sig line that seems particularly apropos; If you are encountering problem drivers more than the average cyclist, then the problem may not be the drivers but yourself (or something to that extent)...

  8. #33
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,149
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
    Its very easy to look up personal info associated with a license plate number even in states like CA. Contact a PI or attorney and they can help you out. There are also web sites that contain public records based on data dumps. Accessing this data may be illegal in your state so I'm not posting links.
    California is very particular about access to DMV records. I would advise against if you're a California resident.

  9. #34
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,815
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    California is very particular about access to DMV records. I would advise against if you're a California resident.
    +1

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    My Bikes
    2004 LeMond Reno, 200? LeMond Buenos Aires, 199? Peugeot, 199? Yokota Yosemite, 199? GT Tequesta, 198? Bianchi Sport, 1984 Nishiki Prestige, 197? Gitane TDF
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    It may be easy in some aspects, but be prepared for any legal repercussions, one of our local LEOs had legal charges brought against him for accessing the license plate data base to conduct non law enforcement activities, similar in ways to CB's.
    While bad cops are the best stalkers, "accessing the license plate database to conduct non-law enforcement activities" is quite different than researching a plate for lawful reasons. Still, as you said, his method of access may/may not be legal.

    I'm doubtful, but in my state I don't know if it's illegal to access license plate records via internet. I do know it's only legal to request that information from official channels for lawful purposes. In jest, does that mean it's legal to gain that information via internet for unlawful purposes?

    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    I did not refer CB's actions as stalking, all I said that CB's feat cannot be replicated in our state due it's anti stalking law. If CB wants to gain access to a motorist's info, he will have to go through legal channels and not quickly look it up anonymously from the internet, and then his actions will be recorded.
    My apologies, you didn't specifically say stalking, I attached my perception of your tone to the claims of stalking.

    Edit: Haha, talk about an insincere apology...for whatever reason, the font changed when I copied/pasted.
    Last edited by Bike Rat; 07-27-13 at 10:05 AM.
    Rat-Race Spinwerks:
    The Retread, Sew, Shave, Sipe, and Stud Specialist

  11. #36
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,815
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Rat View Post
    In jest, does that mean it's legal to gain that information via internet for unlawful purposes?

    Gaining access to a motorist's info may not be illegal, but to what end purpose it is used may in fact be.

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    My Bikes
    2004 LeMond Reno, 200? LeMond Buenos Aires, 199? Peugeot, 199? Yokota Yosemite, 199? GT Tequesta, 198? Bianchi Sport, 1984 Nishiki Prestige, 197? Gitane TDF
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanoFuji View Post
    This would have been the more proper response if he in fact felt the need--after all he claims the vehicle violated the harassment LAW. Instead the OP took it upon himself to contact a person HE ASSUMES is the one who bothered him. From a look at the OP's past posts he has a history of such stalking behaviour. Including showing up at the home of folks he believes were driving vehicles that offended him.

    Again, I an linking to a post that would be a good read for all of those who think the OP was right to do what he did.

    http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2011/0...bike-club.html

    Another poster on this forum has a sig line that seems particularly apropos; If you are encountering problem drivers more than the average cyclist, then the problem may not be the drivers but yourself (or something to that extent)...
    Whoa, Nellie! Firstly, are you stalking the OP? Lol
    Secondly, showing up at peoples homes is way overboard, and will only lead to trouble...very George Zimmermanish.

    I agree with the signature line...sometimes cyclists have to accept culpability.
    Rat-Race Spinwerks:
    The Retread, Sew, Shave, Sipe, and Stud Specialist

  13. #38
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanoFuji View Post
    Creepy and stalker like...
    No stalking was done or threatened.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  14. #39
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,990
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    That's one of the first questions that law enforcement dispatchers ask me, driver description, when I call in an offending motorist's license number. Gotta prove who was driving at the time, hopefully CB didn't get it wrong.
    Who cares if the driver wasn't the owner? If CB contacted the owner it will warn the owner that someone they have allowed to drive their car is driving it inconsiderately. Better get a polite email from an unhappy cyclist than a formal email from law enforcement asking why the car ran a red light or knocked a cyclist off his bike.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  15. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,793
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw, geez -- this is ridiculous. Spare me from bike-lane lawyers.....

    Mods...how about it? Silly enough for you yet?

  16. #41
    Senior Member apollored's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Manchester UK
    My Bikes
    Apollo Revival Mountain Bike
    Posts
    638
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats fine if you are able to look up such information on a motorist.

    Can the rest of us mere mortals do that?
    Apollo Revival MTB AKA Sunshine

  17. #42
    The Flying Scot chewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    North Queensferry Scotland and London (and France)
    My Bikes
    Custom 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco
    Posts
    1,821
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't be done in the UK because of data protection laws. If a cop got found doing it they would be sacked. A Lord (House of Lords) is in a bit of stick about using DVLA access (our DMV) to contact litter louts.

    I just note the reg and report to the police.
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

    1985 Custom built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
    1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa
    1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed
    2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
    (YES I LIKE STEEL)
    2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
    2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
    2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1

  18. #43
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanoFuji View Post
    Again, like the OP you are ASSUMING that the person who shouted at him is in fact the owner of the licensed car...
    Your the one doing the ASSuming here. When a license plate # is enterred on the State Judiciary official website, it returns the names and dates of traffic infractions associated with that license plate. It does not return the owner of the car. That is a clear indication that person is driving the car on a regular basis. From that page you can link to other traffic infractions based on the drivers name. That gives you a strong indication if the name you have is currently driving the car involved or if they have moved on to driving another vehicle.

    Add that to the voice being a woman and the video capture being a woman of about 55 years adds up to the person with the driving infractions also being the person who would harass a cyclist.

    So stop your wrong ASSumptions.

    Then you claim I am stalking by riding roads through my town and happen to spot a vehicle used to endanger or harass cyclist. These vehicles have all been parked outside within 2 miles of my home. Maybe you expect me to become blind and not see these vehicles. I have never knocked on a persons door, never threatened anybody (unlike them using their cars as weapons to threaten and endanger).

    I have to commute the same gulch each day since 1985. Allowing the same drivers that frequently pass me over the years to gradually escalate each time they pass by me will lead to seriously bad consequences for me (who is really doing the stalking in this case?). If you are ever faced with this same situation, let me know. Until then, your off base claims are pointless.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  19. #44
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apollored View Post
    Thats fine if you are able to look up such information on a motorist.

    Can the rest of us mere mortals do that?
    In Hawaii and a few other USA states, mere mortals such as you and I are able to do so. Police using a protected database is illegal for personal use and gives full information of on the driver. Of course cops that do that get fired and has no relation to the database provided for PUBLIC use in Hawaii.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  20. #45
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    Gaining access to a motorist's info may not be illegal, but to what end purpose it is used may in fact be.
    Generally requires threats or excessive repeated contact AFTER being asked to make no more contact.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  21. #46
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by look566 rider View Post
    So, any response from the offending driver?
    Less than 24 hours - no response.
    Since the e-mail address is likely one that only gets looked at once a week (probably on weekends), I expect any response will take some time. If the soccer club is not ordering uniforms for their teams right now, it may take even longer for her to read the e-mail.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,744
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanoFuji View Post

    ...Another poster on this forum has a sig line that seems particularly apropos; If you are encountering problem drivers more than the average cyclist, then the problem may not be the drivers but yourself (or something to that extent)...
    Or you just ride more miles and/or on more problematic roads than the average cyclist. Those of us who regularly ride over 15,000 miles per year, particularly when many of those miles are commuting/utilitarian and we don't drive our bikes to nicer start points, are going to encounter many more derriere chapeaux than someone who barely cracks a thousand miles and does those on MUPs.

  23. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by worknomore View Post
    i say well played!!
    x1000000!

  24. #49
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Plano, TX
    My Bikes
    1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Your the one doing the ASSuming here. When a license plate # is enterred on the State Judiciary official website, it returns the names and dates of traffic infractions associated with that license plate. It does not return the owner of the car. That is a clear indication that person is driving the car on a regular basis. From that page you can link to other traffic infractions based on the drivers name. That gives you a strong indication if the name you have is currently driving the car involved or if they have moved on to driving another vehicle.

    Add that to the voice being a woman and the video capture being a woman of about 55 years adds up to the person with the driving infractions also being the person who would harass a cyclist.

    So stop your wrong ASSumptions.
    Sorry, I did assume that the license plate database was for the owners. Either way it is clear you are incapable of simply understanding that the records you are searching still require you to be making assumptions that the person you have identified is in fact the person you contacted via email... Strong indication is another term for an ASSUMPTION... But I suspect that you will continue to ignore (or misunderstand) the meaning of the term

    Oh, perhaps your caps lock is not working or are you intentionally violating forum policy and cursing at another user?

    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Then you claim I am stalking by riding roads through my town and happen to spot a vehicle used to endanger or harass cyclist. These vehicles have all been parked outside within 2 miles of my home. Maybe you expect me to become blind and not see these vehicles. I have never knocked on a persons door, never threatened anybody (unlike them using their cars as weapons to threaten and endanger).
    AI made that claim which is supported by YOUR posts, much like this one from November 2010. Perhaps like those innocent folks you insist on stalking, you might consider that your record of past behaviour is also eternally recorded.

    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Over the years, I have logged the plate numbers and actions of JAMs that have intentionally harassed me and placed me in danger. In running the log of license plates...

    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    I have never knocked on a persons door, never threatened anybody (unlike them using their cars as weapons to threaten and endanger).
    Either you like dissecting language like a former President or you simply don't recall making the following statement in a thread where you bragged of similar behaviour. And if you think following someone home (even if we accept your claim that you did NOTHING else, is still a threatening act.

    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    One JAM that I followed to his home and began talking to him ...

  25. #50
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Plano, TX
    My Bikes
    1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    Or you just ride more miles and/or on more problematic roads than the average cyclist. Those of us who regularly ride over 15,000 miles per year, particularly when many of those miles are commuting/utilitarian and we don't drive our bikes to nicer start points, are going to encounter many more derriere chapeaux than someone who barely cracks a thousand miles and does those on MUPs.
    While I own a car, I rarely use it. A bike is my primary transportation. And yet I have not had a single incident with a motorist in over three years of riding... So I think that the sig line I paraphrased is pretty accurate.

    Oh, and like the OP you seem to be making a number of assumptions about me...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •