A Local TV channel ran tonight a 'news' story entitled
"New Age Road rage: Cyclists target pedestrians"
In a city where election platforms are based on more freeways and tunnels
as the biggest transport solution, and where sales of bicycles outstrip cars,
prejudice still is institutionalised and perpetuated by the media (shock!).
The news broadcast effort was a deliberately provocative piece against cyclists,
with interviews with
* pedestrians complaining about sharing the city's busiest designated bikepath
* police promising cyclists will be arrested
* alleged "hidden camera" footage of cyclists breaking the law
A few cyclists were interviewed and presented a rational viewpoint, but the thrust
of the whole story continued to reinforce prejudices against cycling today.
The TV Channel did call for a cyclist's perspective, so to redress the imbalance
I would be grateful if you could please email your experiences as a cyclist
of where you have experienced:
* road rage,
* poor facilities,
* inappropriate police attention,
* agressive behaviour from pedestrians,
* agressive behaviour from vehicles,
* any other experience as a cyclist where your safety was threatened.
Send your feedback as an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. or visit
Thanks for your support!