Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-13, 07:38 AM   #101
Redpath
Member
 
Redpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Granite State
Bikes: 2 tandems, 3 road, 4 Mtb,
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FYI-complete video of the Hess araignment.

This tragedy gets worse and worse. Hopefully Ms. Hess will be tucked away for a long time-with some company even. And maybe, just maybe we will get some new/tougher laws here in New Hampshire. Which really is a fantastic place to ride your bike in spite of this horrible event.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...11/0/FRONTPAGE
Redpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 08:35 AM   #102
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
remains in custody and the court hearing done via video no doubt to avoid her being attacked in transit or in court? surprised Bulger was let out of prison for his trial.
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 08:57 AM   #103
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
uh uh Bulger stayed in jail the whole time. : )

Scott
ScottRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 11:22 AM   #104
gabedad
Senior Member
 
gabedad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mass
Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaluna View Post
Yes, at that time of year, and that time of morning, I really don't see the bridge as being all that dangerous. Until the appalling criminal behavior of a few possible drug addicts, this ride had been running for 39 years without a major incident (as far as I know).

I do agree the southern part of the route is mostly "junk mileage". They could just stretch the route up further into Maine, say up to Ogunquit and Wells. I suspect this would mess up the logistics of the current SAG stops and they might have to add another one though. Right now, because of the way the route doubles back on itself, they can service the entire route with pretty much just the single rest stop at Fort McClary and a smaller one at the starting point.
True dat
gabedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 07:58 PM   #105
KD5NRH
Senior Member
 
KD5NRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Stephenville TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker333 View Post
http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/bosto...l/-/index.html

It's hard to believe this could happen on such a short bridge with wide shoulders and a center passing lane:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...4715,-70.85239
It didn't. You're looking at US-1. The wreck happened on NH-1A at Hampton Harbor. Long two-lane bridge with no shoulder.
KD5NRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 12:05 PM   #106
Metaluna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Soma Double Cross Disc
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sorry for bumping this thread, but there has been an update on this case. The driver has been indicted for allegedly being under the influence of 4 different drugs at the time of the crash:

http://hampton-northhampton.patch.co...of-fatal-crash
Metaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 12:09 PM   #107
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,302
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaluna View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread, but there has been an update on this case. The driver has been indicted for allegedly being under the influence of 4 different drugs at the time of the crash:

http://hampton-northhampton.patch.co...of-fatal-crash
Thanks
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 12:10 PM   #108
dynodonn 
Senior Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaluna View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread, but there has been an update on this case. The driver has been indicted for allegedly being under the influence of 4 different drugs at the time of the crash:

http://hampton-northhampton.patch.co...of-fatal-crash

Hell, if one is good, more must be even better.
dynodonn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 12:32 PM   #109
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks, I hope the local TV media follows up on this as well.

Scott
ScottRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 04:18 PM   #110
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
wow, that punk was sky high

Fentanyl - anesthetic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentanyl

Klonopin (Clonazepam?) - hypnotic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klonopin

Percocet - schedule 2 narcotic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percocet

Benzodiazepines - sleep-inducing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepines
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 05:16 PM   #111
john.b
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ragbraistan
Bikes:
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
wow, that punk was sky high
Is she rich enough to qualify for the affluenza defense? I guess we'll know at sentencing.
john.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 12:09 PM   #112
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"HAMPTON, N.H. Police say the driver in a crash that killed two cyclists in New Hampshire did not have a license and had been stopped hours earlier for speeding.

Hampton Deputy Police Chief Richard Sawyer tells the Portsmouth Herald (http://bit.ly/1fc1LnU) 20-year-old Darriean Hess of Seabrook was stopped at 12:46 a.m. Saturday for speeding in the same area where the crash happened eight hours later.

He says she didn't have a license. She was ticketed and ordered to wait for a friend to drive her car away."

In the UK, the car would have been impounded by the police under those circumstances - and driving without a licence is a criminal offence and not an "infraction"

And it wasn't her car, apparently. Don't your police carry out any checks? And did they wait to see if the "friend" turned up?
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 01:20 PM   #113
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In the U.S. it's up to the individual states how they handle driving without a license issues. If this had happened a mile south in Massachusetts she most likely would have been arrested.

Scott
ScottRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 01:46 PM   #114
Metaluna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Soma Double Cross Disc
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.b View Post
Is she rich enough to qualify for the affluenza defense? I guess we'll know at sentencing.
Highly doubtful. As I recall, her history is kind of a hard luck story. Dad's in prison, mom died suddenly when she was young, and basically was raised by her older brother and sister, who I'm guessing didn't have parenting as a high priority.
Metaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 02:55 PM   #115
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbman View Post
He says she didn't have a license. She was ticketed and ordered to wait for a friend to drive her car away."

In the UK, the car would have been impounded by the police under those circumstances - and driving without a licence is a criminal offence and not an "infraction"

And it wasn't her car, apparently. Don't your police carry out any checks? And did they wait to see if the "friend" turned up?
1) She's kinda pretty. Bet that played into how things worked out with the cop during the first stop.
2) She was not intoxicated. Which is what cops are really looking for during late-night weekend stops.
3) She was ticketed for speeding and driving w/o a license and released when a licensed driver showed up, per department SOP.
-however-
4) 29 mph over the speed limit is 1mph below automatic arrest speed (30mph, misdemeanor), and although I have absolutely no shred of evidence to back it up, I'd be willing to bet she was going faster and should have been arrested, but the cop used his discretion to tag her for the lesser speed (moving violation/civil infraction).

No one's talking about it locally -- many focus on the unlicensed driver aspect of the whole deal -- but the speeding charge should very much be investigated, as that's the one where I see the most chance of a cop having screwed up a discretion call will lethal results.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 03:24 PM   #116
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
1) She's kinda pretty. Bet that played into how things worked out with the cop during the first stop.
2) She was not intoxicated. Which is what cops are really looking for during late-night weekend stops.
3) She was ticketed for speeding and driving w/o a license and released when a licensed driver showed up, per department SOP.
-however-
4) 29 mph over the speed limit is 1mph below automatic arrest speed (30mph, misdemeanor), and although I have absolutely no shred of evidence to back it up, I'd be willing to bet she was going faster and should have been arrested, but the cop used his discretion to tag her for the lesser speed (moving violation/civil infraction).

No one's talking about it locally -- many focus on the unlicensed driver aspect of the whole deal -- but the speeding charge should very much be investigated, as that's the one where I see the most chance of a cop having screwed up a discretion call will lethal results.
Again, in the UK the licensed owner of the car would have found that s/he would have been (probably) arrested on the grounds of allowing an unqualified driver to use his/her car. That would probably have made them extremely reluctant to lend it to this foolish / reckless /incompetent girl again, even if the police had only issued a caution* for doing so - with a stern warning of the probable consequences of doing so again.

Whatever would have hapened, it is possible / likely / probable that this terrible tragedy would have been avoided.

*A caution results in a criminal record in the UK
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 08:29 AM   #117
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbman View Post
Again, in the UK the licensed owner of the car would have found that s/he would have been (probably) arrested on the grounds of allowing an unqualified driver to use his/her car. That would probably have made them extremely reluctant to lend it to this foolish / reckless /incompetent girl again, even if the police had only issued a caution* for doing so - with a stern warning of the probable consequences of doing so again.

Whatever would have hapened, it is possible / likely / probable that this terrible tragedy would have been avoided.

*A caution results in a criminal record in the UK
It seems that driving and licensing regulations are much tougher in the UK and Eur than they are in the USA, where driving is oft assumed to be a right on par with gun ownership.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 08:40 AM   #118
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Again, it depends what state you live in .. At least with a car you need to take a test to get your license and carry auto insurance. My impression is that it's easier and cheaper to own a gun. But that's a debate for some other forum.

I have heard some rumblings that the state of NH is looking to change the law to make it a felony to drive without a valid license .. That would be a positive step.

Scott
ScottRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 12:20 PM   #119
john.b
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ragbraistan
Bikes:
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRyder View Post
I have heard some rumblings that the state of NH is looking to change the law to make it a felony to drive without a valid license .. That would be a positive step.
Impounding the car of an unlicensed driver on the spot would be a good start.
john.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 12:35 PM   #120
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Keep in mind what it reads on a New Hampshire license plate:

"Live Free or Die"

The driver went free, the women died.

Scott
ScottRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 08:09 PM   #121
gabedad
Senior Member
 
gabedad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mass
Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Thanks
Thanks for the update
gabedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 11:35 AM   #122
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Woman indicted on dispensing drug charge in death of bicyclists
By Kimberley Haas, Friday, January 17, 2014

BRENTWOOD The woman who allegedly distributed the powerful painkiller fentanyl to Darriean Hess just hours before she plowed a vehicle into a group of bicyclists last fall was indicted by a grand jury at Rockingham County Superior Court during its January session.

Cindy Sheppard, 48, of 51 Ocean Blvd, Apt. 5, in Hampton, was indicted on charges of dispensing a controlled drug and possession of fentanyl, cocaine and methadone while on release on bail. She was also indicted on a charge of allowing an improper person to operate a vehicle.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 12:13 PM   #123
spare_wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Bikes: NA
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
It seems that driving and licensing regulations are much tougher in the UK and Eur than they are in the USA, where driving is oft assumed to be a right on par with gun ownership.
aren't cars covered by the second amendement too?
spare_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 02:25 PM   #124
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
aren't cars covered by the second amendement too?
Many drivers seem to think it's a right...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 10:17 PM   #125
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,624
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
The driver will probably just get the usual slap on the wrist.

IMO this is where we need mandatory laws. Kill a pedestrian or a cyclist, automatic 20 years in prision. No judge, no jury or no whining defence att could get killer drivers off.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 AM.