Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-13, 09:58 PM   #1
vol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nursing student hit by hit-and-run drunk driver on bike lane 1 block from home, dead

Link

"A 21-year-old nursing student has died after a drunk driver plowed into her as she cycled home from the library after a day of studying.

"Kristina Chesterman, from Livermore, California, was left brain dead by the horrific accident just a block from her home near the Chico State University campus, her distraught mother said.

"On Tuesday, her devastated family said their goodbyes as they made the agonizing decision to switch off her life support and donate her organs."
vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 06:46 AM   #2
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,859
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Forty years in prison without the possibility of parole is about right for that fool.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 06:49 AM   #3
MattInFla 
Rolling roadblock
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Casselberry, FL
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Comp
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A senseless loss. It irritates me to no end when people refer to DUI collisions as "accidents". There's not a single damn thing "accidental" about getting drunk and getting into a car. It's a premeditated act, and should be treated that way.
__________________
With every ride, I get a little stronger. I gain a little stamina. I gain a little pride. And so I await the next ride...

Riding slow is not a sign of weakness. Quitting is.
MattInFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 07:43 AM   #4
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
so sad, her whole life in front of her, and sounds like such a good kid
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 07:50 AM   #5
Number400
Senior Member
 
Number400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, GT Timberline, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My heart goes out to the families. I just deleted my rant about drinking and driving...I ****ing hate drunk drivers.
Number400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 09:08 AM   #6
MattInFla 
Rolling roadblock
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Casselberry, FL
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Comp
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number400 View Post
My heart goes out to the families. I just deleted my rant about drinking and driving...I ****ing hate drunk drivers.
Copy that. Spent 15 years in EMS dealing with the aftermath of drunk drivers. Can't express my true feelings about them on this family friendly forum.
__________________
With every ride, I get a little stronger. I gain a little stamina. I gain a little pride. And so I await the next ride...

Riding slow is not a sign of weakness. Quitting is.
MattInFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:25 PM   #7
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very sad.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 06:55 PM   #8
volosong 
Senior Member
 
volosong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Man . . . I'm PISSED!!!

Why do we have to learn about this from a British on-line publication???


Davis is a very bike-friendly town. On the forefront of cycling infrastructure. The poor girl was in the bike lane.


WHEN IS THIS COUNTRY GOING TO GET SERIOUS ABOUT DRUNK DRIVING??? AND, HIT-AND-RUN DRIVING??? Isn't it about time that we, as a citizen population, put pressure on our legislators and judges to address this crisis.


- - - - -

So very sad for the family. And the loss of such a promising life.
__________________
Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 08:02 PM   #9
agent pombero
Mmm hm!
 
agent pombero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We need a fast track execution system for people like this. They deserve immediate death, to be carried out in 4 months or less after a maximum of two appeals requests, to not only right what was wrong, but to keep the rest of the decent public safe from the harm these dangerous drunk punks cause when they get into their 4000 pound weapon blitzed. This fast track system would also have the added benefit of saving taxpayers a lot of money in housing costs for 5+ years.
agent pombero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 11:17 PM   #10
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 24,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent pombero View Post
We need a fast track execution system for people like this. They deserve immediate death, to be carried out in 4 months or less after a maximum of two appeals requests, to not only right what was wrong, but to keep the rest of the decent public safe from the harm these dangerous drunk punks cause when they get into their 4000 pound weapon blitzed. This fast track system would also have the added benefit of saving taxpayers a lot of money in housing costs for 5+ years.
Is this your idea of bicycling advocacy or jurisprudence, or both? Do you expect anything you post to be taken seriously by anybody besides bloodthirsty nut cases?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 11:34 PM   #11
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number400 View Post
My heart goes out to the families. I just deleted my rant about drinking and driving...I ****ing hate drunk drivers.
Totally agreed. Losing a loved one is horrible enough. And in the hands of a drunk driver. Don't know what to say.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 07:58 AM   #12
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Bikes: Surly LHT, and 3 others
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Is this your idea of bicycling advocacy or jurisprudence, or both? Do you expect anything you post to be taken seriously by anybody besides bloodthirsty nut cases?
A survey long ago showed that in my city roughly 50% of all motorists are drunk behind the wheel at any given time. Not New Years Day, not Labor Day Weekend - ANY given day. This is why I look at commuting as "going to war" and treat my ride as a survival mission behind enemy lines. Many who don't take this serious attitude end up brain dead (no judgement about the young lady in the story as I do not know her level of wariness).

Seems there are all types of "nutcases" in the world. Some of us wish for action to be taken on the front end i.e., "lock them up forever or fry them" and others (me) deal with the facts on the ground in order to survive the day by altering my actions. Other nutcases just shoot out random critiques on B.F.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 09-28-13 at 11:42 PM.
JoeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 08:09 AM   #13
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ycle-home.html

Here's the story. Incredible.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 09:31 AM   #14
agent pombero
Mmm hm!
 
agent pombero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Is this your idea of bicycling advocacy or jurisprudence, or both? Do you expect anything you post to be taken seriously by anybody besides bloodthirsty nut cases?
Let me know how you feel when someone you love has had their existence wiped out by a drunk punk and then see how you feel when said drunk punk gets out of jail in just 4 years and then heads back to jail for another DUI just 6 months later.
agent pombero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 12:37 PM   #15
vol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At least the family is asking for maximum sentence for the driver. I really have trouble admiring families of victims of crimes who say they forgive the criminals who killed their loved ones.

Can you imagine when you are sitting in the library that in a little while you would become a brain dead vegetable, 1 block from your home, doing what you had been doing every day?

Last edited by vol; 09-28-13 at 12:41 PM.
vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 01:40 PM   #16
GuyWood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lancashire, UK
Bikes: 1992 Dave Yates Diabolo MTB
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How terribly sad, RIP Kristina .
GuyWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 03:30 AM   #17
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 15,580
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent pombero View Post
Let me know how you feel when someone you love has had their existence wiped out by a drunk punk and then see how you feel when said drunk punk gets out of jail in just 4 years and then heads back to jail for another DUI just 6 months later.
None of which justifies advocating for the rules that made Stalin so charming. There's a reason we have due process and limits on Government power.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 06:41 AM   #18
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,859
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Drunk driving or driving while on a cell phone and killing someone is premeditated murder in my book. It should be treated as such.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 06:54 AM   #19
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
Posts: 13,360
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Drunk driving or driving while on a cell phone and killing someone is premeditated murder in my book. It should be treated as such.
Also drunk driving after having been previously convicted. You've shown that you're incapable of making rational decisions about your capabilities when drunk, so either remove your ability to drive when drunk (IE don't drive to the bar or wherever in the first place so you have to take the same method back) or get professional help with your problem. If you decide to continue the same behavior then you have just demonstrated that you feel that your desire to get drunk outweighs the lives of innocent people, and therefore you're basically a murderer. You've taken an intentional decision to devalue human life. Or you're a moron who doesn't think these things through. Either way you should not be allowed to run free.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 07:01 AM   #20
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 6,409
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
Also drunk driving after having been previously convicted. You've shown that you're incapable of making rational decisions about your capabilities when drunk, so either remove your ability to drive when drunk (IE don't drive to the bar or wherever in the first place so you have to take the same method back) or get professional help with your problem. If you decide to continue the same behavior then you have just demonstrated that you feel that your desire to get drunk outweighs the lives of innocent people, and therefore you're basically a murderer. You've taken an intentional decision to devalue human life. Or you're a moron who doesn't think these things through. Either way you should not be allowed to run free.
A couple of district attorneys in SoCal are taking this to heart. When they convict someone of drunk driving, they force them to sign a declaration that acknowledges their awareness of the high risk of killing someone if they choose to drive drunk. On more than one occasion, that declaration has been used to convict the drunk of second degree murder when they subsequently drove drunk and killed someone.

I'd like to see such a declaration be part of the licensing procedure so that a first offense results in a murder conviction. Same with distracted driving and speeding.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 12:08 PM   #21
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 24,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
A couple of district attorneys in SoCal are taking this to heart. When they convict someone of drunk driving, they force them to sign a declaration that acknowledges their awareness of the high risk of killing someone if they choose to drive drunk. On more than one occasion, that declaration has been used to convict the drunk of second degree murder when they subsequently drove drunk and killed someone.

I'd like to see such a declaration be part of the licensing procedure so that a first offense results in a murder conviction. Same with distracted driving and speeding.
Sounds like you want to team up with the bicycling advocacy duo of the Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter to form a lynch mob. Is it your also opinion that driving infractions are capital offenses and violators are far move evil and profane than the worst serial killers and terrorist bombers and should be given the harshest sentence in the land?

Even Stalin wasn't prepared to put a murder conviction/death sentence on the majority of the population.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 12:23 PM   #22
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
+1 to ILTB - The extremist idiocy being spouted on this forum lately is appalling. IT beyond my ability to even comment its so rank.

Edit According to the nhtsa excess speed is involved to some 11000-12000 traffic fatalities per year. For Becarfree , thats in excess of 30 state sponsored executions each and every day of the year - What a incredibly stupid concept.

Last edited by howsteepisit; 09-29-13 at 12:30 PM.
howsteepisit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 03:01 PM   #23
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
A senseless loss. It irritates me to no end when people refer to DUI collisions as "accidents". There's not a single damn thing "accidental" about getting drunk and getting into a car. It's a premeditated act, and should be treated that way.
Yet, drivers under the influence had a diminished capacity when they made the decision to drive, and when the collision occurred. We treat them more severely in court than a sober person that was not diminished at the time of the collision.
__________________
Silver Eagle Pilot
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 04:38 PM   #24
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
Also drunk driving after having been previously convicted. You've shown that you're incapable of making rational decisions about your capabilities when drunk, so either remove your ability to drive when drunk (IE don't drive to the bar or wherever in the first place so you have to take the same method back) or get professional help with your problem. If you decide to continue the same behavior then you have just demonstrated that you feel that your desire to get drunk outweighs the lives of innocent people, and therefore you're basically a murderer. You've taken an intentional decision to devalue human life. Or you're a moron who doesn't think these things through. Either way you should not be allowed to run free.
+1 It amazes me that someone can get multiple DUI's and still drive.

I don't want this to devolve into a political debate,but I think it's pretty messed up that the Constitution says you can have a gun,but if you're convicted of a crime with a gun they'll take them away. But driving is only a privilege,yet people get DUI's,reckless driving,and even injure kill others,and yet are still able to drive.

If you do something that kills someone else do to negligence/stupidity,you should be barred from doing that for life,whatever that activity may be.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 05:48 PM   #25
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 6,409
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Sounds like you want to team up with the bicycling advocacy duo of the Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter to form a lynch mob. Is it your also opinion that driving infractions are capital offenses and violators are far move evil and profane than the worst serial killers and terrorist bombers and should be given the harshest sentence in the land?

Even Stalin wasn't prepared to put a murder conviction/death sentence on the majority of the population.
So, you think the driving privilege should extend to allowing people to ignore the training they allegedly received and behave in a way that slaughters tens of thousands of innocent people and maims millions per year without serious consequences and anyone who disagrees should be compared to some maniac dictator. What's the Stalin version of Godwin's Law? This, in spite of the fact that deadly motorists in this country are making real inroads into catching up to Stalin's death count. I argue that the operation of deadly machines in the public space should be restricted to those who have proper training and follow said training and that failure to do so should have serious, known consequences for the scofflaws. I agree that the majority of Americans do not concur. I'd love to hear some cogent arguments against such a proposition, but so far none are forthcoming.

As far as the lynch mob statement, get a grip. Nowhere do I advocate for a loss of due process rights for the accused. In fact, I argue for motorists to be greater informed of the consequences of their lawless actions.

Last edited by B. Carfree; 09-29-13 at 09:22 PM.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 AM.