Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern, Ontario
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
    I first got into road bikes about 1971 as teenager. I had long hair and the short haired rednecks would yell at me, threw beer bottles at me once and ran me off the road a couple times. I thought it was because of my hair. 42 years later I have short hair, the rednecks have long hair and other than that not much has changed.
    Rednecks do not have long hair, they have mullets. There's a difference.

  2. #27
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Rednecks do not have long hair, they have mullets. There's a difference.
    Having tried my hardest to be a Robert Plant look alike 40 years ago I am quite aware of the difference between long hair and a mullet. Maybe Ontario rednecks still wear mullets but trust me, around here they have either shaved their head or have long hair but NO mullets.

  3. #28
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern, Ontario
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
    Having tried my hardest to be a Robert Plant look alike 40 years ago I am quite aware of the difference between long hair and a mullet. Maybe Ontario rednecks still wear mullets but trust me, around here they have either shaved their head or have long hair but NO mullets.
    Too bad.
    Mullets used to be fashionable long hair filtered through the lens of a room temperature IQ.
    Someone must have clued them in.
    They still drive F-150s, don't they?

  4. #29
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Too bad.
    Mullets used to be fashionable long hair filtered through the lens of a room temperature IQ.
    Someone must have clued them in.
    They still drive F-150s, don't they?
    F350 diesel 4 X 4's with a 12" diameter "Hillbilly" stack coming up through the bed right behind the cab and wheels and tires that would be more at home on a road grader.

  5. #30
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern, Ontario
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
    F350 diesel 4 X 4's with a 12" diameter "Hillbilly" stack coming up through the bed right behind the cab and wheels and tires that would be more at home on a road grader.
    Hence the motto, "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

  6. #31
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Hence the motto, "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

  7. #32
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Signaling is useful enough, I think, to work on acquiring the habit and skills.

    Selective memory is also useful. I find great fun in throwing stupid comments down into the well of forgetfulness.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scenario: Intersection; one lane w/shoulder in each direction; I'm first in line turning left; the car going in the opposite diection is also turning left; he has a line of cars behind him. The light turns green. I determine I can make my turn, but a guy in the opposite direction aggressively pulls onto the shoulder to pass his left turners on the right and he engaged me during my turn and he leaned on the horn and yelled at me. Is he allowed to pass his left turners on the right shoulder?

  9. #34
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it depends on the location, but in most places a motor vehicle is only allowed to travel in the roadway. The shoulder is not the roadway. I almost saw an accident caused by someone passing left turning vehicles on the shoulder. The people turning left cleared the intersection just as the guy made it past them on their right. So someone that had been waiting for them so he could go straight and the guy on the shoulder ended up in the same place at the same time. I saw the situation developing and thought for sure they were going to hit, but shoulder guy yielded in time. Around here, they are starting to stripe the shoulders, and I've also seen No! painted on the shoulders as well.

  10. #35
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Scenario: Intersection; one lane w/shoulder in each direction; I'm first in line turning left; the car going in the opposite diection is also turning left; he has a line of cars behind him. The light turns green. I determine I can make my turn, but a guy in the opposite direction aggressively pulls onto the shoulder to pass his left turners on the right and he engaged me during my turn and he leaned on the horn and yelled at me. Is he allowed to pass his left turners on the right shoulder?
    Yes, unless law enforcement is present he can drive in whatever way he sees fit no matter how rude, unlawful or dangerous so we are well advised to stay alert. Unless the driver is totally incapable of thought I suspect his loud noises were just an attempt fool himself into thinking that his actions were reasonable.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  11. #36
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Passing on the shoulder is illegal in most states and this guy was in the wrong BUT............. this:


    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Yes, unless law enforcement is present he can drive in whatever way he sees fit no matter how rude, unlawful or dangerous so we are well advised to stay alert. Unless the driver is totally incapable of thought I suspect his loud noises were just an attempt fool himself into thinking that his actions were reasonable.

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus1 View Post
    Cars yell unsolicited and often wrong pieces of advice at me all the time. I either ignore it or yell back and move on. I never signal a right turn or left turn on a one way road unless there is another bike or car close behind me and I have to slow down. Seriously, how many people do this? You had a very good reason for not signaling. I doubt that guy is a cyclist or at least how we would define one. One of my mom's friends told she is a cyclist because she takes her bike around the riverside trail a couple times a week if the weather is nice. So maybe this kid goes mountain biking or something. Cause if he rides on the road he would knows to watch out for bikes.
    oh you are only a "real" cyclist if you ride the roads? lol

  13. #38
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Posts
    4,647
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Tom View Post
    ...he pulls next to me, passenger window down, and yells...: "Follow the rules of the road! Use your hand like a turn signal! Be SAFE"
    I signal when I can. The funny part - probably half of the motorists involved don't have a clue what I am doing with my arm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •