Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/)
-   -   The cyclist is always wrong... (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/923785-cyclist-always-wrong.html)

CB HI 11-28-13 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286251)
Again, the video clearly shows that a few road users either are not understanding, unfamiliar, or don't care about the marked cycling infrastructure. The cyclist is misunderstanding the meaning of the sharrows as a dedicated bike lane, and the motorcyclists are misunderstanding the markings in that it is giving them carte blanche to make unsafe passes around other road users within the lane, in which the bicyclist was initially commenting about.

The cyclist never complained about a close pass. He complained about the motorcyclist passing period and the motorcyclist being in the "God dam bike lane, it's a God dam bike lane".

The cyclist has no clue to the meaning of a sharrow vs bike lane. Plus the lane is wide enough to share with a motorcycle.

Chris516 11-28-13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286039)
The video clearly shows that a few road users either are misunderstanding, unfamiliar, or don't care about the marked cycling infrastructure.

I was scratching my head thinking I missed something. Until I saw the clear bike lane markings.

God forbid a motorcyclist ride in the regular travel lane.:(

dynodonn 11-28-13 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 16286320)
The cyclist never complained about a close pass. He complained about the motorcyclist passing period and the motorcyclist being in the "God dam bike lane, it's a God dam bike lane".

The cyclist has no clue to the meaning of a sharrow vs bike lane. Plus the lane is wide enough to share with a motorcycle.


Looks like you missed the first words out of the bicyclist's mouth, "You better be careful, you better be ****ing careful...... or the shout from the bicyclist as the motorcyclist made the close pass in the video.

dynodonn 11-28-13 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris516 (Post 16286388)
I was scratching my head thinking I missed something. Until I saw the clear bike lane markings.

God forbid a motorcyclist ride in the regular travel lane.:(

The lane was marked as a sharrow, and some road users are not fully clear on their meaning. With the rail tracks off to the left, I can see why some two wheeled road users are reluctant to move left, but regardless of the rail tracks and the bicyclist's riding behavior in the sharrow lane, it was still the motorcyclist's responsibility to make a safe passing maneuver.

Chris516 11-28-13 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286422)
The lane was marked as a sharrow, and some road users are not fully clear on their meaning. With the rail tracks off to the left, I can see why some two wheeled road users are reluctant to move left, but regardless of the rail tracks and the bicyclist's riding behavior in the sharrow lane, it was still the motorcyclist's responsibility to make a safe passing maneuver.

Yes, I got the same impression the motorcyclists' didn't understand the street markings.

Dchiefransom 11-28-13 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectastic (Post 16283857)
I wanted to find an excuse to post this.

(NSFW language)

classic

He was riding okay until he made the left turn through the oncoming left turn lane.

dynodonn 11-28-13 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom (Post 16286453)
He was riding okay until he made the left turn through the oncoming left turn lane.


I noticed that too, and why I try to avoid confrontation....seething anger can make one say or do things that one would not normally do.

Matariki 11-28-13 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286492)
I noticed that too, and why I try to avoid confrontation....seething anger can make one say or do things that one would not normally do.


I agree, best to just let things go. You certainly do not improve the situation and also run the risk of making things worse.

CB HI 11-28-13 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286406)
Looks like you missed the first words out of the bicyclist's mouth, "You better be careful, you better be ****ing careful...... or the shout from the bicyclist as the motorcyclist made the close pass in the video.

Yes he is mad that they are in his dedicated bike lane or so he wrongly thinks.

Motorcyclist routinely pass each other that close sharing the lane. If the cyclist wanted more room, then simply politely asking them to pass with more room might have worked better than yelling about the non-existent bike lane.

dynodonn 11-28-13 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matariki (Post 16286520)
I agree, best to just let things go. You certainly do not improve the situation and also run the risk of making things worse.

With videoing my rides, l will determine if I want to let the motorist get away with a certain driving behavior after reviewing my video. By the time I download and review the video of the incident, I tend have an even clearer train of thought and even more calmer demeanor. Before videoing, try as I might, I would dwell heavily on the incident for the rest of my ride, pretty much taking the enjoyment of it.

CB HI 11-28-13 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris516 (Post 16286446)
Yes, I got the same impression the motorcyclists' didn't understand the street markings.

The motorcyclists understood the street markings, the bicyclist did NOT.

dynodonn 11-28-13 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 16286550)
Yes he is mad that they are in his dedicated bike lane or so he wrongly thinks.

Motorcyclist routinely pass each other that close sharing the lane. If the cyclist wanted more room, then simply politely asking them to pass with more room might have worked better than yelling about the non-existent bike lane.

I don't care if motorcyclist routinely pass each other closely, this particular cyclist didn't appreciate the closeness of the passing maneuver, which was basically the start of the confrontation. The motorcyclists were no better at defusing the situation either, or to try and explain to the cyclist that the lane was a marked as a sharrow because they probably didn't understand the markings either. The motorcyclists just went on to ridicule the bicyclist in the video, and then go and post the video on You Tube.

CB HI 11-28-13 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286566)
I don't care if motorcyclist routinely pass each other closely, this particular cyclist didn't appreciate the closeness of the passing maneuver, which was basically the start of the confrontation. The motorcyclists were no better at defusing the situation either, or to try and explain to the cyclist that the lane was a marked as a sharrow because they probably didn't understand the markings either. The motorcyclists just went on to ridicule the bicyclist in the video, and then go and post the video on You Tube.

Of course they posted this stupid cyclist on youtube, just like cyclists post stupid motorist on youtube.

dynodonn 11-28-13 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 16286611)
Of course they posted this stupid cyclist on youtube,


The motorcyclist posting the video, is not too bright, especially showing them making an unsafe pass.

CB HI 11-28-13 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286617)
The motorcyclist posting the video, is not too bright, especially showing them making an unsafe pass.

OK, sure, let us know when their court date comes up.

dynodonn 11-28-13 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 16286638)
OK, sure, let us know when their court date comes up.

This motorcyclist may get a free "pass", but a few motorists airing their poor/dangerous driving behavior have been tracked down and arrested by law enforcement, thanks to evidence gathered off of the motorist's own You Tube video posting.

CB HI 11-28-13 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286645)
This motorcyclist may get a free "pass", but a few motorists airing their poor/dangerous driving behavior have been tracked down and arrested by law enforcement, thanks to evidence gathered off of the motorist's own You Tube video posting.

Then the ranting cyclist had better hope the police do not watch the video and see him going though the crosswalk while he had a red light.

dynodonn 11-28-13 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 16286653)
Then the ranting cyclist had better hope the police do not watch the video and see him going though the crosswalk while he had a red light.


The cyclist didn't post the video, the motorcyclist did, plus it's easier to track a motorcyclist's license plate number via traffic cams, (if any were used at the time) the motorcyclist's IP address, You Tube account, than the cyclist's face.

CB HI 11-28-13 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286676)
The cyclist didn't post the video, the motorcyclist did, plus it's easier to track a motorcyclist's license plate number via traffic cams, (if any were used at the time) the motorcyclist's IP address, You Tube account, than the cyclist's face.

Video, driver license database and face recognition software = cyclist is toast. No need to spend tons of time looking for and reviewing street video.

dynodonn 11-28-13 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 16286689)
Video, driver license database and face recognition software = cyclist is toast. No need to spend tons of time looking for and reviewing street video.


Let see, unsafe passing, and if happen to watch the video closer, one can see that the motorcyclist is doing 40 mph plus at times, add speeding on the motorcyclist's video tab. Law enforcement will be much more interested in the motorcyclists unsafe driving habits than the cyclist's, since the motorcyclist driving habits are more of a hazard to others than the cyclist.

CB HI 11-28-13 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286910)
Let see, unsafe passing, and if happen to watch the video closer, one can see that the motorcyclist is doing 40 mph plus at times, add speeding on the motorcyclist's video tab. Law enforcement will be much more interested in the motorcyclists unsafe driving habits than the cyclist's, since the motorcyclist driving habits are more of a hazard to others than the cyclist.

Your right the cyclist is innocent and completely justified in yelling about the bike lane.

Chris516 11-28-13 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286492)
I noticed that too, and why I try to avoid confrontation....seething anger can make one say or do things that one would not normally do.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom (Post 16286453)
He was riding okay until he made the left turn through the oncoming left turn lane.


While I noticed that, and it MAY have clouded his momentary judgment in the turn, due to his stress level, in specific. I have seen motorists' do this before without even showing aggressive driving. On both sides(cycle/motor), it comes down to equally being stupid regardless of mode of transport.

dynodonn 11-29-13 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 16286948)
Your right the cyclist is innocent and completely justified in yelling about the bike lane.

I didn't say that the cyclist is completely innocent, or justified in yelling, the video just shows some road users that did not fully understand the cycling infrastructure markings, and how to go about in making a bad situation even worse. Just read the comment section attached to this You Tube video, and one can see others mistaking the lane as a dedicated bike lane as well.

firstsporthub 11-29-13 02:45 AM

It's quite dangerous that the driver passed the biker at that speed....i try to keep a distance of 1.5m away from the bikers if i am driving. I understand cos i am a driver and a biker as well.


Quote:

Originally Posted by genec (Post 16279720)
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...u-are-a-biker/

Has this been posted here before... Clear cut evidence that a motorist and the responding LEO lied about a situation in which a cyclist was hit by a left turning motorist... and lack of co-operation by the cop that writes a ticket blaming the cyclist.

Then the follow up in which the cyclist has to fight to prove his innocence, with city supplied video evidence...

Oh yeah... Cyclists fare best... braaaaatzzz :rolleyes: Sorry, not in this lifetime. **



** yeah I know the full meaning... let me know when we are "treated."


genec 11-29-13 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 16286251)
Again, the video clearly shows that a few road users either are not understanding, unfamiliar, or don't care about the marked cycling infrastructure. The cyclist is misunderstanding the meaning of the sharrows as a dedicated bike lane, and the motorcyclists are misunderstanding the markings in that it is giving them carte blanche to make unsafe passes around other road users within the lane, in which the bicyclist was initially commenting about.

The real issue at hand is that neither road user wants to share the shared lane. The cyclist thinks it is an exclusive lane (it is not) and the motorcyclists are playing games with power and speed. Both groups need to get off their high horses and calm down. the cyclist needs to shut the F up, and the motorcyclists need to slow down and respect that the lane they are zipping around in is shared by everyone from peds to cyclists to MV users.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 PM.