Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-13, 12:47 PM   #26
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Here's the Google street view I image I posted in the SoCal forum. It looks to me like they narrowed a standard traffic lane to fit a bike lane. The collision happened to the right of median in the picture where most cars are going to move over to avoid clipping the raised curb on the median.
That doesn't change the underlying facts. It might explain, but shouldn't excuse anything. I assume that California road law is the same as in New York, where the lead vehicle has the right of way, and the burden is on the passing vehicle. If the road is too narrow, the obligation to wait until it's safe to pass rests on the passing vehicle.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 12:48 PM   #27
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
That doesn't change the underlying facts. It might explain, but shouldn't excuse anything. I assume that California road law is the same as in New York, where the lead vehicle has the right of way, and the burden is on the passing vehicle. If the road is too narrow, the obligation to wait until it's safe to pass rests on the passing vehicle.
We do indeed have that law.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 12:48 PM   #28
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus1 View Post
If the video footage exonerates or lessens the blame it will magically appear. Otherwise it's amazing how often the police lose those pesky little things.
Yes amazing; any examples of bicycling related video lost by police that you can reference?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 12:50 PM   #29
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Yes amazing; any examples of bicycling related video lost by police that you can reference?
Not exactly bicycling related, but gives some perspective on the matter. http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/12/wh...eos-go-missing
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 12:56 PM   #30
Dunbar
Senior Member
 
Dunbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2
Posts: 2,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
That doesn't change the underlying facts.
I'm not excusing anything, just pointing out that poor traffic design was probably a huge factor. I hope the bike advocacy groups in the area didn't advocate for such a sub-standard bike lane.
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 12:58 PM   #31
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Here's the Google street view I image I posted in the SoCal forum. It looks to me like they narrowed a standard traffic lane to fit a bike lane. The collision happened to the right of median in the picture where most cars are going to move over to avoid clipping the raised curb on the median.

I saw that, when I looked at the road on Google. There is a portion of one road near my house, that has those raised medians, with no bike lane. So I 'take the lane'. The difference between the road near my house, and Mulholland Highway is 20mph. The road near my house has a 25mph speed limit, probably because it goes through a residential community.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 01:17 PM   #32
Nikon Rep
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
I assume there is video from the police cruiser. Assuming it isn't "lost somehow."
LA County sheriff patrol units are not equipped with dash cam video.
Nikon Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 01:18 PM   #33
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At this point we are almost entirely ignorant of the proximate cause or causes of this tragedy.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 01:19 PM   #34
Nikon Rep
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Yes amazing; any examples of bicycling related video lost by police that you can reference?
It is a well documented FACT that police edit, lose, delete, and other wise misplace video and audio from their patrol cars, motorcycles and body worn recorders.
Nikon Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 01:19 PM   #35
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,325
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
From someone that knew the rider.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 02:59 PM   #36
dralways
Senior Member
 
dralways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...atrol-car.html
dralways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 03:40 PM   #37
walrus1
Senior Member
 
walrus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
Even more of a reason, to make a backup copy.
Only helps if you can get your hands on the dash cam footage immediately after the incident. But normally yes back up copies are a very good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon Rep View Post
LA County sheriff patrol units are not equipped with dash cam video.
Shocking. The NYPD has fought tooth and nail to keep cams out of their cruisers or so I'm told.
walrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 04:04 PM   #38
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is bizarre about the VC Star story is that at 8.22 they headlined the story "Cyclist fatally struck by sheriff's car ID'd", but at 9.19 the cyclist died after hitting hitting patrol vehicle.

Curious inversion, eh?
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 04:59 PM   #39
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon Rep View Post
It is a well documented FACT that police edit, lose, delete, and other wise misplace video and audio from their patrol cars, motorcycles and body worn recorders.
If,as originally reported, the cyclist was struck from behind by the front of the police car, then the physical evidence will work against the driver. The video could only help exonerate him by showing something like the cyclist swerving, or something else supporting that the accident was unavoidable. I don't know how things working CA, but in many jurisdictions any loss or damage of the dash cam video would only increase suspicion of a cover up.

I'm not naive enough to believe all cops are honest, (keeps me off jury duty in criminal cases) but I do prefer to reserve judgement until the evidence is in and I've heard the story (if I ever do).
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 05:49 PM   #40
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
If,as originally reported, the cyclist was struck from behind by the front of the police car, then the physical evidence will work against the driver. The video could only help exonerate him by showing something like the cyclist swerving, or something else supporting that the accident was unavoidable. I don't know how things working CA, but in many jurisdictions any loss or damage of the dash cam video would only increase suspicion of a cover up.

I'm not naive enough to believe all cops are honest, (keeps me off jury duty in criminal cases) but I do prefer to reserve judgement until the evidence is in and I've heard the story (if I ever do).
Decades ago I was out for an evening ride (mid summer) after traffic going the 2 miles home was horrible. I ate dinner and then started my ride. Traffic was still heavy, but livable, until the road went from 1 lane to 2 and it was like being caught in a LeMans start.

I bailed. I learned the next day that there was a fatality accident on the Ventura Freeway involving a CHP officer. They closed the whole freeway during rush hour.

If the CHP has any jurisdiction they will investigate.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 06:19 PM   #41
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon Rep View Post
It is a well documented FACT that police edit, lose, delete, and other wise misplace video and audio from their patrol cars, motorcycles and body worn recorders.
Really, a well documented FACT because you say so? Any reference for your well documented FACT other than you read it on the Internet somewhere?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 06:22 PM   #42
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
At this point we are almost entirely ignorant of the proximate cause or causes of this tragedy.
None of it necessary for the firebrands and pitchfork mobs of the A&S lynch mobs. Being entirely ignorant of cause has never been a problem for the judge and jury crowd.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 06:41 PM   #43
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,632
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Really, a well documented FACT because you say so? Any reference for your well documented FACT other than you read it on the Internet somewhere?
So you are going to say it just doesn't happen as there is not extensive documentation to prove it... How much documentation do you need? One instance, 12 or 100, with witnesses signing affidavits signifying the event?

The problem is that if this sort of thing IS happening.... no doubt the evidence is being well hidden to protect those who desire to hide this sort of evidence...

This blog is one case of a situation in which the police at first denied video evidence (in their own system) then refused to view it. http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...u-are-a-biker/

RaleighSport gave a link that also discusses video evidence gone missing... including the somewhat classic case of 7 cars that all somehow had non-functioning video recorders.

Quote:
TV reporter Andrea McCarren and a cameraman were pulled over by seven police cruisers as they followed a county official for a story on the misuse of public funds. McCarren later claimed in a lawsuit that she was abused during the stop, resulting in a torn rotator cuff and dislocated shoulder. Prince George's County officials never gave McCarren's attorneys dash cam video of the incident. Their excuse? They said all seven dashboard cameras were malfunctioning on the day McCarren was pulled over.
Amazing coincidence eh?

Bottom line is you are asking for hard evidence for situation that people are bending over backwards to hide.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 07:07 PM   #44
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Here's the Google street view I image I posted in the SoCal forum. It looks to me like they narrowed a standard traffic lane to fit a bike lane. The collision happened to the right of median in the picture where most cars are going to move over to avoid clipping the raised curb on the median.

To the left is a Major shopping center.

There is plenty of space. If I remember right this used to be 2 lanes each way. Intentional narrowing.

BTW this section of Mulholland Hwy runs North/South.

The road it runs into is Mulholland Drive, also pretty near the 22000 block. In a lot of ways Mulholland Drive makes more sense as there are some sweeping turns where it would take far less inattention to create a collision. Also Google Maps puts 22000 Mulholland Drive at the intersection with Topanga. That is nearly a T intersection. There is a go straight option but over 95% of traffic turns one way or the other. That section has a downhill turn and has a pretty decent potential for confusion.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 07:18 PM   #45
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 3,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I didn't notice that ILTB claimed:

"It is a well documented FACT that police edit, lose, delete, and other wise misplace video and audio from their patrol cars, motorcycles and body worn recorders."

He asked for that documentation since its well documented it should be easily available, else its not well documented.


I do agree that in some cases inconvenient evidence has gone missing, but its rare in my opinion. Also, in the MD crash case, the police denied the existence of the tape, and it was subsequently found during the discovery process, which is quite different than destroying or tampering with evidence.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 07:28 PM   #46
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
There are many instances of police losing or accidentally erasing tapes. So many that few people are unaware that this is significant problem. Calling for cites and studies of that which is commonly known seems more a rhetorical device than an actual quest for information.

And is trying to get away with claiming evidence does not exist really all that different from destroying it? The end goal is the same and that's really what's at issue.
jon c. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 07:29 PM   #47
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 6,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Looking at the damage, there was clearly a substantial speed differential between the cyclist and his killer. Considering the narrow passage between the road furniture and the substandardly narrow bike lane and the fact that the crash occurred immediately prior to a signalized T-intersection (the reason for the road furniture: traffic calming), it's pretty hard to not think this is gross negligence on the part of the deputy.

Unfortunately, the LA Sheriff's department does not have video in their units. Even worse, they are apparently conducting the investigation themselves rather than bringing in the CHP, which creates a clear conflict of interest. Their track record speaks for itself, with eighteen of them indicted today. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/09...investigation/

I suspect we will never know what actually happened, although we will get a fully spun account from the killer's colleagues that will be the official accounting until the victim's family's lawyers get busy.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 07:45 PM   #48
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post

I suspect we will never know what actually happened, although we will get a fully spun account from the killer's colleagues that will be the official accounting until the victim's family's lawyers get busy.
Without pointing fingers from 3,000 miles away, this may be a case where interested parties - family and friends of the victim - might be able to use the media to advantage and press for an unbiased investigation by CHP or the DAs office. A poor or insider investigation benefits nobody because whatever the outcome, it'll be tainted.

It doesn't take too much media noise to cause elected officials to distance themselves by ordering "clean" investigations, and in many cases this is the ONLY way they intercede and move authority to unbiased agencies.

Of course, there'll be some people who say cops are cops, and not even accept a CHP report - and they might be right - but at least it'll be a step in the right direction.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 08:04 PM   #49
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 6,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Without pointing fingers from 3,000 miles away, this may be a case where interested parties - family and friends of the victim - might be able to use the media to advantage and press for an unbiased investigation by CHP or the DAs office. A poor or insider investigation benefits nobody because whatever the outcome, it'll be tainted.

It doesn't take too much media noise to cause elected officials to distance themselves by ordering "clean" investigations, and in many cases this is the ONLY way they intercede and move authority to unbiased agencies.

Of course, there'll be some people who say cops are cops, and not even accept a CHP report - and they might be right - but at least it'll be a step in the right direction.
It may be too late for that. There were only sheriff's deputies on the scene after the crash, so the evidence is already under their control. Perhaps their reputation is undeserved and the deputies on the scene will do/have done a stand-up job, but it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm somewhat surprised there isn't a protocol in place for this sort of thing that mandates having a different agency handle an investigation when an officer is involved in a death, particularly when the initial evidence indicates the officer is at fault. The lack of such a protocol causes me concern. Well-run departments don't fear outside scrutiny, but corrupt ones do.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 08:06 PM   #50
langa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate stories like this.

The San Francisco Chronicle identified him as a former chief operating officer of Napster.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/articl...ar-5048581.php
langa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 PM.