Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-13, 08:08 PM   #51
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
...

I'm somewhat surprised there isn't a protocol in place for this sort of thing that mandates having a different agency handle an investigation when an officer is involved in a death, particularly when the initial evidence indicates the officer is at fault. The lack of such a protocol causes me concern. Well-run departments don't fear outside scrutiny, but corrupt ones do.
I agree. Internal investigations will always be tainted, even in the most professional, honest police department. Unless the department has a separate unit for internal investigations, or even then, it would pay to invite oversight from an outside agency just to eliminate accusations of cronyism.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 08:40 PM   #52
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbman View Post
What is bizarre about the VC Star story is that at 8.22 they headlined the story "Cyclist fatally struck by sheriff's car ID'd", but at 9.19 the cyclist died after hitting hitting patrol vehicle.

Curious inversion, eh?
The VC Star is my local paper. I wouldn't use it to line my parrot's cage--it is that bad.

The VC Star is very anti-police, they'd do nothing to help out the cops. Additionally, the Star is in Ventura County and the accident occurred in Los Angeles County, the Star doesn't have a dog in this fight.

No conspiracy here, just their usual bad reporting.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 08:42 PM   #53
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaco View Post
It appears they have an excellent media ally with the Ventura County Star.

The Star hates cops. Also the Star is in a different county.

No allies, just their usual shoddy reporting.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 08:51 PM   #54
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
Decades ago I was out for an evening ride (mid summer) after traffic going the 2 miles home was horrible. I ate dinner and then started my ride. Traffic was still heavy, but livable, until the road went from 1 lane to 2 and it was like being caught in a LeMans start.

I bailed. I learned the next day that there was a fatality accident on the Ventura Freeway involving a CHP officer. They closed the whole freeway during rush hour.

If the CHP has any jurisdiction they will investigate.
The CHP does not have jurisdiction. They may, however, be brought in to do the investigation to avoid any semblance of cover-up or conflict of interest.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 09:03 PM   #55
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I wasn't there, and I haven't been in LA since 1983, but it looks to me like something is seriously wrong with that Sheriff's Department.
Understatement of the Thread:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2n2LQ0D54

http://graphics.latimes.com/behind-the-badge/
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 09:23 PM   #56
Nikon Rep
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transparency isn't a priority for the LA County sheriffs.


Nikon Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 09:26 PM   #57
Dunbar
Senior Member
 
Dunbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reading the comments on the CBS video link this appears to have happened on the 22500 block of Mulholland Highway (not the 22000 block that the reporter stated.) If you look at Google street view there's a right hand traffic lane that ends just prior to where the collision took place. The cop most likely was moving over to the left and went through the bike lane and struck the rider.






Last edited by Dunbar; 12-09-13 at 09:31 PM.
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:18 PM   #58
howeeee
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
The Star hates cops. Also the Star is in a different county.

No allies, just their usual shoddy reporting.
Sounds like there might be a good reason to hate those cops
howeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:18 PM   #59
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
I agree. Internal investigations will always be tainted, even in the most professional, honest police department. Unless the department has a separate unit for internal investigations, or even then, it would pay to invite oversight from an outside agency just to eliminate accusations of cronyism.
In the LA sheriff's, the lieutenants in charge of such units are often just as corrupt.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/09...investigation/
Quote:
Among those charged with conspiracy and obstruction of justice in the 18-page indictment are two lieutenants, one of whom oversaw the department's safe jails program and another who investigated allegations of local crimes committed by sheriff's personnel, two sergeants and three deputies.
CHP would have likely done a reasonable investigation, but as noted - too late now.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:30 PM   #60
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Bikes: '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '88 Trek 360
Posts: 4,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
I agree. Internal investigations will always be tainted, even in the most professional, honest police department. Unless the department has a separate unit for internal investigations, or even then, it would pay to invite oversight from an outside agency just to eliminate accusations of cronyism.
These things are always backed up with community watchdog groups and everything else. For God's sake... how suspicious and paranoid can people be before it is a clinical-health problem instead of an "cycling advocacy issue".

Most policemen who are killed [or seriously injured on the job] are in car accidents. Policemen, cyclists, small children, and grandmothers.... car accidents are big on the "cause of death lists" for all groups. All people should take all deaths as personal.... not just cyclists relating to cyclists. After all... the one thing all humans have in common is our mortality. No one.... gets out of here alive. Taking precautions and assigning blame will never eliminate death.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of the cyclist... and also to the police officers family and friends.

My wife and family know I am fully aware at how fatally serious cycling accidents with automobiles can be. And they know I chose to bicycle in traffic anyway. I have to assume the same can be said of a mature adult professional such as the person involved in this accident. To fully live and enjoy our lives... we have to take our chances. There is no joy in the safety of the sofa.

I am sure there are better ways to end the journey through life.... than suddenly, quickly while enjoying one last bicycle ride. But presently... I can't think of any.
Dave Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:38 PM   #61
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howeeee View Post
Sounds like there might be a good reason to hate those cops
I would not support such a broad statement.

I have worked with LEO for mostnof my professional life.

The overwhelming majority are good, hard working intelligent men and women. They chose LE out of a genuine desire to help people, not hurt them.

While I support a full investigation of the facts surrounding this accident, along with proper punishment, the anti-police vitriol expressed by many here is completely unjustified. How about waiting until all the facts have come out?

The Star's position is cases involving LE is based more on their own ideology than on any factual scenarios. Their anti-LE knee jerk reaction is well-known in Ventura County.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 12-09-13 at 10:43 PM.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:41 PM   #62
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post

I am sure there are better ways to end the journey through life.... than suddenly, quickly while enjoying one last bicycle ride. But presently... I can't think of any.
Well written.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:52 PM   #63
Nikon Rep
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post

While I support a full investigation of the facts surrounding this accident, along with proper punishment, the anti-police vitriol expressed by many here is completely unjustified. How about waiting until all the facts have come out?
The problem is no one can be trusted to investigate themselves. The facts are highly unlikely to come out due to the accused entity investigating itself.
Nikon Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:59 PM   #64
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 6,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I would not support such a broad statement.

I have worked with LEO for mostnof my professional life.

The overwhelming majority are good, hard working intelligent men and women. They chose LE out of a genuine desire to help people, not hurt them.

While I support a full investigation of the facts surrounding this accident, along with proper punishment, the anti-police vitriol expressed by many here is completely unjustified. How about waiting until all the facts have come out?

The Star's position is cases involving LE is based more on their own ideology than on any factual scenarios. Their anti-LE knee jerk reaction is well-known in Ventura County.
Read back through the thread. There isn't so much anti-police sentiments expressed as distrust of the L.A. Sheriff's department, and that distrust has been justified by the links provided.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 11:00 PM   #65
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Don't you dare come in and ask for a form to file a complaint at the LA Sheriff's Department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBFa_FdFvk

Chilling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5YvQjx6qs
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

Last edited by CB HI; 12-09-13 at 11:40 PM.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 12:04 AM   #66
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Bottom line is you are asking for hard evidence for situation that people are bending over backwards to hide.
Nope, you have your logic cap on backwards today. The poster claimed unequivocally "It is a well documented FACT that police edit, lose, delete, and other wise misplace video and audio from their patrol cars, motorcycles and body worn recorders." It is up to him or anyone else who makes an unsubstantiated claim of a slanderous "well documented FACT" to support it.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 12:06 AM   #67
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon Rep View Post
The problem is no one can be trusted to investigate themselves. The facts are highly unlikely to come out due to the accused entity investigating itself.
Who needs an investigation at all when the A&S jury has already reached a guilty verdict?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 01:28 AM   #68
Nikon Rep
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Nope, you have your logic cap on backwards today. The poster claimed unequivocally "It is a well documented FACT that police edit, lose, delete, and other wise misplace video and audio from their patrol cars, motorcycles and body worn recorders." It is up to him or anyone else who makes an unsubstantiated claim of a slanderous "well documented FACT" to support it.
I could spend a lot of time posting links but I think there is a better way to expose you to the issue.

Find out if any law enforcement agencies near you have dashcam or body worn recorders. If one does then pick a date and time and file a public records request for the footage.

Come back on here and let us know how it went.
Nikon Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 01:32 AM   #69
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Reading the comments on the CBS video link this appears to have happened on the 22500 block of Mulholland Highway (not the 22000 block that the reporter stated.) If you look at Google street view there's a right hand traffic lane that ends just prior to where the collision took place. The cop most likely was moving over to the left and went through the bike lane and struck the rider.

Going by this particular picture. The officer was going too fast for the road condition(rise in road possibly obscuring the view at the crest of the road).
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 07:08 AM   #70
Astrozombie
Senior Member
 
Astrozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East L.A.
Bikes: Windsor Dover, Motobecane Mirage, Diamondback Insight
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And moving left....probably hugging the right line
Astrozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 07:59 AM   #71
CrankyOne
Senior Member
 
CrankyOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
The overwhelming majority are good, hard working intelligent men and women. They chose LE out of a genuine desire to help people, not hurt them.
Not according to cops themselves. The long and growing list of books, blogs, and youtube channels of former cops talking about the perverseness and prevalence of the Blue Code and of the growing power of gangs within agencies is quite scary. Even Tony Bouza, feted at numerous LE functions nationwide as a cops cop, came out with a book about the pervasiveness of police corruption and the problems it's causing.

As Bouza put it, about 30% of cops are meat-eaters, the instigators and leaders of corruption. About 50% are grass-eaters, not leaders of corruption, but happy with the spoils and cheerfully go along. Nearly all of the rest, 19.99%, are the deaf and dumb, not participating, but keeping their mouths shut, getting along. And less than a hundredth of one percent stand up to the corruption and try to do something about it, and often fail because they're completely alone in their attempt to make things right.

Edit: Let me add this. I think that some percentage do join with the right motives of wanting to help people and be good cops, but they discover reality quite quickly. They start off being deaf & dumb, then maybe move to being a grass-eater or meat-eater. This is perhaps not unlike doping in sports.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 12-10-13 at 09:03 AM.
CrankyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 08:13 AM   #72
phoebeisis
New Orleans
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
Not according to cops themselves. The long and growing list of books, blogs, and youtube channels of former cops talking about the perverseness and prevalence of the Blue Code and of the growing power of gangs within agencies is quite scary. Even Tony Bouza, feted at numerous LE functions nationwide as a cops cop, came out with a book about the pervasiveness of police corruption and the problems it's causing.

As Bouza put it, about 30% of cops are meat-eaters, the instigators and leaders of corruption. About 50% are grass-eaters, not leaders of corruption, but happy with the spoils and cheerfully go along. Nearly all of the rest, 29.99%, are the deaf and dumb, not participating, but keeping their mouths shut, getting along. And less than a hundredth of one percent stand up to the corruption and try to do something about it, and often fail because they're completely alone in their attempt to make things right.
50+30+29.99=109.99%
But your point is good-overstated I think/hope
Those numbers might be right for an EXTREMELY CORRUPT DEPT- maybe NOLA in the 1990's and before.
Kinda doubt 30% of any DEPT are corrupt now-sure hope not!

There is nothing new in respect to police corruption-probably no where near as bad now as it once was.
phoebeisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 08:19 AM   #73
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,617
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Internal investigation???? The fox in the hen house will alway claim the chicken committed suicide.
rydabent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 08:28 AM   #74
dynodonn 
Senior Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 7,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
A modern day "Magnum Force".

I love the sheriff's comment on the telling that any deputy that is being bullied, needs to "man up"..... sounds like the trouble with this LEO branch goes all the way to the top. One of our local LEOs did just that, and the department officials and fellow officers found ways to ostracize the LEO from the force.
dynodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 09:02 AM   #75
CrankyOne
Senior Member
 
CrankyOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
Those numbers might be right for an EXTREMELY CORRUPT DEPT- maybe NOLA in the 1990's and before. Kinda doubt 30% of any DEPT are corrupt now-sure hope not!
Bouza was chief of Minneapolis PD, generally considered to be very below average corruption. Given all of the continued and recent revelations of police corruption (and abuse), I don't think anything has changed.

Thanks for the correction BTW.
CrankyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 AM.