Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/)
-   -   Cyclist killed by drunk driver in Chicago (http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/925619-cyclist-killed-drunk-driver-chicago.html)

Chitown_Mike 12-10-13 09:56 AM

Cyclist killed by drunk driver in Chicago
 
Story: DUI driver killed a cyclist who was coming home from work, did 5 years in the Marines, and was 28. Since this is Chicago and the driver was the Purchasing Manager for Stroger Hospital (a county run hospital) he will probably get off with probation and community service as I am sure he is connected.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3992398.story

I read these and realize I could very well be that cyclist because of how bike UN-friendly a lot of Chicago still is. Granted there is some great infrastructure but it is basically in select areas and not in areas with lower income where there is a lot of people cycling because that is there only mode of transportation.

FBinNY 12-10-13 10:12 AM

Too soon to say how it'll play out. The BAC is high enough that even a good lawyer arguing instrument tolerance won't be able to get it low enough. So far the DA seems serious, with a felony charge and high$400k bail.

I don't know Illinois law, but in NY many DAs are prosecuting cases like this as manslaughter, and getting convictions with serious jail time.

Chitown_Mike 12-10-13 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 16317653)
Too soon to say how it'll play out. The BAC is high enough that even a good lawyer arguing instrument tolerance won't be able to get it low enough. So far the DA seems serious, with a felony charge and high$400k bail.

I don't know Illinois law, but in NY many DAs are prosecuting cases like this as manslaughter, and getting convictions with serious jail time.


I would hope some sort of manslaughter charges would be brought up, but this is Chicago and I am sure he "knows" some people.

FBinNY 12-10-13 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike (Post 16317664)
I would hope some sort of manslaughter charges would be brought up, but this is Chicago and I am sure he "knows" some people.

In cases like this, it's often not who the driver knows, but the attitude of the DA (ir is it a SA in Illinois) toward drunk driving. Probably the biggest factor is how the media play up the case, and whether there are other recent similar incidents which would fuel a "we have to do something abut this" storm.

Chris516 12-10-13 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 16317676)
In cases like this, it's often not who the driver knows, but the attitude of the DA (ir is it a SA in Illinois) toward drunk driving. Probably the biggest factor is how the media play up the case, and whether there are other recent similar incidents which would fuel a "we have to do something abut this" storm.

The Cook County States Attorney is Anita Alvarez: http://www.cookcountygov.com/portal/server.pt/community/state's_attorney,_office_of_the/284

FBinNY 12-10-13 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris516 (Post 16318905)
The Cook County States Attorney is Anita Alvarez: http://www.cookcountygov.com/portal/...ice_of_the/284

Thanks. I'm sure hearing from locals will motivate her to take a harder line. However, based on my experience, getting the media involved, and slanting the presentation appropriately id more powerful.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 AM.