Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    LET'S ROLL 1nterceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST NEW YORK, USA
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Posts
    3,165
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    5 Reasons Bicyclists Are The Worst People Alive

    "There you are behind the wheel of this two-ton killing machine, and someone cuts in front of you, completely unprotected (save for a hard plastic hat), driving at half of your speed. For however long it takes that biker to notice you behind him and move out of the way, you have to tensely alternate between lightly tapping on the gas pedal and slamming on the break, knowing that you're just one slip of the foot from murder. As much as I hate bikers, I only want to kill them figuratively, not literally."

    Read the other reasons here:
    http://www.collegehumor.com/post/694...t-people-alive

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    6367 km away from the center of the Earth
    Posts
    1,093
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
    "There you are behind the wheel of this two-ton killing machine, and someone cuts in front of you, completely unprotected (save for a hard plastic hat), driving at half of your speed. For however long it takes that biker to notice you behind him and move out of the way, you have to tensely alternate between lightly tapping on the gas pedal and slamming on the break, knowing that you're just one slip of the foot from murder. As much as I hate bikers, I only want to kill them figuratively, not literally."

    Read the other reasons here:
    http://www.collegehumor.com/post/694...t-people-alive
    You have to alternate between nothing just slow down and give some room until the cyclist notice you behind. If you must alternate it probably means that you are too close. When i was driving my car i didn't have this trouble since i was always giving some room to the cyclists since you never know what can happen.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    956
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erig007 View Post
    You have to alternate between nothing just slow down and give some room until the cyclist notice you behind. If you must alternate it probably means that you are too close. When i was driving my car i didn't have this trouble since i was always giving some room to the cyclists since you never know what can happen.
    Note, it is the CollegeHumor website. It is suppose to be funny.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  4. #4
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,269
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i heartily agree with all of those except some of the first one. cyclists do get in the way a lot, but i like to think most of them don't charge out in front of traffic without looking.
    Twitter@theSurlyBiker

  5. #5
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,653
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moved from commuting.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  6. #6
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,212
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    moved from commuting.
    It is not advocacy or safety related either. Why not Jokes and Humor list?

  7. #7
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,653
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    It is not advocacy or safety related either. Why not Jokes and Humor list?
    Go back to bed...
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  8. #8
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,931
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because A&S has the lest sense of humor in the BF?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  9. #9
    Senior Member walrus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
    Note, it is the CollegeHumor website. It is suppose to be funny.
    "Suppose" is the key word. College Humor is very hit and miss and I didn't find this funny. Of course I deal with bull**** like this all the time not said in a starical manner.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not funny at all,,I dont even know why anyone would post this on the Bike Forums

  11. #11
    Enjoying Every Mile mLuMaN83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Sport
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a fan of CH but this is dumb.

  12. #12
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,503
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus1 View Post
    "Suppose" is the key word. College Humor is very hit and miss and I didn't find this funny. Of course I deal with bull**** like this all the time not said in a starical manner.
    CH's target demographic is college-aged ******bags, so it's a nice change when something actually is funny. Characteristically, this one wasn't, and won't do anything to evoke concern for cyclists among non-cyclists.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  13. #13
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I zipped my lip until now. That is just plain stupid.

  14. #14
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember, it is a stupid college kid who is likely not even 21 yet, but puking all over himself a couple times a week while complaining about cyclist who do not obey the law.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  15. #15
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,931
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lighten up, its not that different that the usual humor of that age group. Yeah, its stupid, but so what?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Because A&S has the lest sense of humor in the BF?
    OTOH, it can be an endless source of amusement.

  17. #17
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,931
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed it can Jon, indeed it can
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  18. #18
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,212
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Because A&S has the lest sense of humor in the BF?
    On the contrary, A&S probably has the highest percentage of Jokers on BF.

    I guess 10 Wheels placed this non funny over the top thread in just the right place for the perennially aggrieved to gnaw on it.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    6367 km away from the center of the Earth
    Posts
    1,093
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    On the contrary, A&S probably has the highest percentage of Jokers on BF.

    I guess 10 Wheels placed this non funny over the top thread in just the right place for the perennially aggrieved to gnaw on it.
    10 wheel placed it here because people weren't laughing there neither.
    When it's not funny... it's not funny.
    Here is the first smiley in here

    By the way, I've found a few typo in the article. Here it is after correcting them:

    There you are behind the wheel of this twenty-pounds honked machine, and someone arrive behind you, completely protected, driving twice your speed. For however long it takes for the driver to honk at you until you move out of the way, you have to tensely alternate between finding an exit strategy as soon as possible and checking your mirror, knowing that you're just one slip of the wheel from being rolled over. As much as I hate bad drivers, we should understand the other side knowing that nobody is happy of the current situation of having to share a common road with different kind of vehicles.

    Better isn't it?
    Last edited by erig007; 12-16-13 at 10:16 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member dougmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Bridgestone RB-T, Bike-E, Vision R-40, Novara Safari
    Posts
    3,010
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
    but i like to think most of them don't charge out in front of traffic without looking.
    Well, look at it this way -- those who do, er, did, on a regular basis are probably dead now.

    Everybody makes mistakes (and sometimes people die from them, don't get me wrong) but if cyclists did regularly do that ... they'd all be dead. So that's pretty good evidence that most of them don't do that right there.

  21. #21
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,855
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmc View Post
    Well, look at it this way -- those who do, er, did, on a regular basis are probably dead now.

    Everybody makes mistakes (and sometimes people die from them, don't get me wrong) but if cyclists did regularly do that ... they'd all be dead. So that's pretty good evidence that most of them don't do that right there.
    In my locale, we have a number of cyclists charging out into traffic, most don't die from the process, but when the law of averages catches up with them, the cyclists in question usually change their riding style, provided that they are either willing or able to ride again.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    My Bikes
    Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
    Posts
    911
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erig007 View Post
    10 wheel placed it here because people weren't laughing there neither.
    When it's not funny... it's not funny.
    Here is the first smiley in here

    By the way, I've found a few typo in the article. Here it is after correcting them:

    There you are behind the wheel of this twenty-pounds honked machine, and someone arriveS behind you, completely protected, driving twice your speed. For however long it takes for the driver to honk at you until you move out of the way, you have to tensely alternate between finding an exit strategy as soon as possible and checking your mirror, knowing that you're just one slip of the wheel from being rolled over. As much as I hate bad drivers, we should understand the other side knowing that nobody is happy (of) with the current situation of having to share a common road with different kind of vehicles.

    Better isn't it?
    there were still some errors...

  23. #23
    Senior Member bluegoatwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    603
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you are behind the wheel of this twenty-pounds honked machine, and someone arrive behind you, completely protected, driving twice your speed. For however long it takes for the driver to honk at you until you move out of the way, you have to tensely alternate between finding an exit strategy as soon as possible and checking your mirror, knowing that you're just one slip of the wheel from being rolled over. As much as I hate bad drivers, we should understand the other side knowing that nobody is happy of the current situation of having to share a common road with different kind of vehicles. ---erig007

    Now that actually is funny!

  24. #24
    Gammal cyklist Reynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    My Bikes
    1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility
    Posts
    4,513
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not funny (original article).

  25. #25
    Senior Member hotbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
    Posts
    2,566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the wonderful convex rear view mirror, which was invented as recently as twenty years ago? I think the article harks back to an earlier age, when there were no decent mirrors.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11629987@N02/sets/72157639939606343/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •