Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Running red lights...

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's one of the advantages of cycling. Why not?

    18 15.79%
  • Only when I'm in a hurry and no cars are crossing.

    43 37.72%
  • Dangerous, I never do it.

    49 42.98%
  • It's so cool hipsters are doing it.

    4 3.51%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 201 to 220 of 220
  1. #201
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, food fight...back to your corners, we aren't going there with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
    They can't fix expansion joints, because they expand.
    Smile at Miles with a ROLLFAST!

  2. #202
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,946
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
    Okay, food fight...back to your corners, we aren't going there with this one.
    You made me think of John Belushi in 'Animal House', when you said 'food fight'. But he was starting one.

  3. #203
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    My Bikes
    a lot... mostly vintage, one vintage made of plastic, er carbon
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only do when there is no traffic, and I know the signal can not be changed by anything but a car (which are most all the signals on my commute). In that case I treat the signal as being defective (because it is). Stop, look, and go.

  4. #204
    Senior Member Gothic Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    Hollandia Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    MHO, everyone who runs a red light or stop sign illegally, should get a ticket, every time! Maybe then it would stop reflecting badly on cyclists. Those who do, are the problem!

    Obey the rules, like everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    A red light is there to be obeyed. There are NO good reasons not to obey the law. Besides when drivers see cyclist whiz thru red lights, they say ----see there cyclist break the law all the time, and it gives all cyclist a bad name.
    I generally agree with this sentiment, with the caveat that when the bike sensors are broken (a bunch in my area are), it becomes okay, but only then, and only because there really isn't anything that can be done about it.
    "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
    -Rowena Ravenclaw

  5. #205
    Senior Member Gothic Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    Hollandia Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    MHO, everyone who runs a red light or stop sign illegally, should get a ticket, every time! Maybe then it would stop reflecting badly on cyclists. Those who do, are the problem!

    Obey the rules, like everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Dectection systems are so good these days, that it's somewhat unfair to make 2 wheelers wait two minutes rather than improve the sensors. This is an interim step at best. Better would be mandating that sensors be improved as replaced, and all new sensors be 2 wheel friendly. I believe that California took this approach and it doesn't seem to be a burden.
    Depends on where you live. I live in a major metropolitan area, and none of the sensors around the local college actually work.
    "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
    -Rowena Ravenclaw

  6. #206
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,715
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    I insist on 'taking the lane', because motorists can see a cyclist better, that is in their direct-line-of-sight. Not in their peripheral vision.
    If you say it often enough maybe for your sake it will always be true.

  7. #207
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,818
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclist that run red lights are----------------------------------stupid.

    They also do a disservice to the cycling community.

  8. #208
    Senior Member Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly CC, Trek Earl
    Posts
    611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The poll assumes all signaled intersections are equal, but they are not. Aside from valid reasons already given (eg some signals are activated by triggers that don't see bikes) my answer is that I run red lights when it is safer to do so.

    As an example, one of my regular routes takes me down the city's busy main thoroughfare. At one point, there is a cross street with multiple lanes and speedy traffic. I always wait for the green light there, whether the cross street appears clear or not. At the very next intersection is a small cross street which rarely has any traffic at all, and the timing of the lights has me hitting the red almost 100% of the time. I come to a full stop, and if the cross street is clear after a thorough check (and it almost always is) I run this red light because I have to make a left turn at the next intersection which is just a short distance ahead. Running the red means the two traffic lanes I have to cross to access the left turn lane are clear because all the traffic behind me is stopped. Therefore, I can make a safe transition across all lanes. Were I to obey the law here, I would wait for the light to turn green, then immediately begin to merge across two lanes of motor vehicle traffic that is traveling faster than I am, therefore putting myself in danger and pissing off motorists in the process. In this case, I believe running the red is best for all involved, both myself and the motorists around me. Judge me if you must, but I will pick the safest course every time, whether that puts me at odds with the law or not.
    Last edited by Brennan; 06-04-14 at 09:14 AM.

  9. #209
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,139
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Cyclist that run red lights are----------------------------------stupid.

    They also do a disservice to the cycling community.
    Or is it demonstrative of it being safe and reasonable so that the laws get changed as happened in Idaho?
    Ride more. Fret less.

  10. #210
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    2007 carpe diem frame custom build, trek 7.9 frame custom build, custom built chinese carbon fiber road bike, shopping bike
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Cyclist that run red lights are----------------------------------stupid.
    They also do a disservice to the cycling community.
    Just the other day I screamed at a jaywalker that they are doing a disservice to the walker community and they did not even get it. Entitled anarchist law-breaking walkers make us all look bad!!!!1!!!!!!!
    Road rash is a precious gift. Road rash is your friend. Bask in it, appreciate it, love it. Above all, learn from it. --Robert Hurst

  11. #211
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts.

  12. #212
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    4,946
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Cyclist that run red lights are----------------------------------stupid.

    They also do a disservice to the cycling community.
    Yes, It justifies a motorist's disgust towards a cyclist in specific. Both cyclists' n' cycling, in general.

  13. #213
    Senior Member Notso_fastLane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Medford, OR
    My Bikes
    Kona MTN bike, Bent TW Elegance
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    Yes, It justifies a motorist's disgust towards a cyclist in specific. Both cyclists' n' cycling, in general.
    I disagree. It may prejudice drivers, but that's exactly what it is, prejudice. It's just as wrong as being hostile towards all drivers because of stupid things you see drivers do (which is generally more common, given the numbers).

  14. #214
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,154
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    Yes, It justifies a motorist's disgust towards a cyclist in specific. Both cyclists' n' cycling, in general.

    LOL. Yeah, by that logic, if an Asian guy punches me unprovoked, that justifies being racist towards Asians.
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson) San Remo Plus, 1989 Trek 520, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  15. #215
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Or is it demonstrative of it being safe and reasonable so that the laws get changed as happened in Idaho?
    Living two miles from Idaho, please clarify...
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
    They can't fix expansion joints, because they expand.
    Smile at Miles with a ROLLFAST!

  16. #216
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Cyclist that run red lights are----------------------------------stupid.

    They also do a disservice to the cycling community.
    The largest compound English curse word I know of is 13 letters, were you THAT upset?
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
    They can't fix expansion joints, because they expand.
    Smile at Miles with a ROLLFAST!

  17. #217
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unbelievable. It's OK to act and ride like a selfish pig because there are bad drivers on the road. But being a bad cyclist is OK. No it's not. YOU are the problem. Good drivers hate selfish pig cyclists as much as good cyclists hate selfish pig drivers...but the drivers can kill. Act like responsible road users and call for our position to be recognised and enforced.

  18. #218
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    2007 carpe diem frame custom build, trek 7.9 frame custom build, custom built chinese carbon fiber road bike, shopping bike
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounderby View Post
    Act like responsible road users and call for our position to be recognised and enforced.
    What a patsy. Do you pull down you pants and stick up your bum when a motorist is angry at you?

    I have no need to be recognised. I ride like I am legal traffic and if some fat lazy cager f***s with me they are going to have a very bad day.
    Road rash is a precious gift. Road rash is your friend. Bask in it, appreciate it, love it. Above all, learn from it. --Robert Hurst

  19. #219
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is turning into anger management class or at the least a sideshow. I'm calling for a closure.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
    They can't fix expansion joints, because they expand.
    Smile at Miles with a ROLLFAST!

  20. #220
    Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder Zephyr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    My Bikes
    '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone
    Posts
    3,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discussion has turned into nothing but insults. Closed.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •