Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Running red lights...

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's one of the advantages of cycling. Why not?

    18 15.79%
  • Only when I'm in a hurry and no cars are crossing.

    43 37.72%
  • Dangerous, I never do it.

    49 42.98%
  • It's so cool hipsters are doing it.

    4 3.51%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 220
  1. #1
    Senior Member GhostSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    My Bikes
    2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1992 Giant Cadex 980c
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cyclists who run red lights are...

    Cyclists/commuters that run red lights really tick me off, especially slow cyclists. If you're in such hurry that you need to run a red light at least pedal faster you lazy cad. I hate having to continually pass the same d-bag because they run red lights when I stop at them.

    I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but I think if you want your right as a cyclist to ride on a street you need to abide by the same laws as any motor vehicle.

    EDIT: Also I like to treat traffic stops as a chance to rest and get water. It's a built in break.
    Last edited by GhostSS; 05-07-14 at 09:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree..

    The other day I must have passed the same guy 12 times.. He runs the red, I wait... I later pass him...

    Next red light, he runs the red, I wait, I later pass him..

    Over and over and over again..

  3. #3
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,224
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This poll is kind of dumb. I predict the thread gets locked. I'm not voting for any of the current options.

    My option would be, "I do it when it's safe. When it's not, I don't."

    Also, "when no cars are coming?" Duh. The reality is that in the city most cyclists "run" lights. Contrary to motorist's perception, they DO look before they go. I'm not saying there isn't the occasional nut who doesn't, but people who don't look wouldn't live long around here.
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson) San Remo Plus, 1989 Trek 520, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  4. #4
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,224
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    Agree..

    The other day I must have passed the same guy 12 times.. He runs the red, I wait... I later pass him...

    Next red light, he runs the red, I wait, I later pass him..

    Over and over and over again..
    "Shoaling" people is a totally different subject than running lights. It's generally rude and I don't do it unless it's totally obvious that I am faster than the person in front of me--for instance, I have been steadily gaining on them for two blocks, then we hit a light. In other words, I don't make someone pass me after I have passed them.
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson) San Remo Plus, 1989 Trek 520, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  5. #5
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclist want the rules of the road to apply to them, except when they don't want the rules of the road to apply to them...

    It's a red light, you should stop and wait until it's green...

    My .02

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Sport
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on the situation. Sometimes I bike to work early in the morning when there are few cars on a road. If there's no cars at an intersection and it's safe to cross - I'll run the light because I haven't figured out how to trip all the traffic signal loops on the road yet and I'm not going to wait a few minutes for a car to show up.

    Otherwise if there is even one car on the road near the intersection, I'll wait out the light.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Posts
    4,882
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    It's a red light, you should stop and wait until it's green...
    Yes, there's bound to be a car along within the next few hours to trip the sensor - enjoy your nap.

  8. #8
    Senior Member GhostSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    My Bikes
    2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1992 Giant Cadex 980c
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
    This poll is kind of dumb. I predict the thread gets locked. I'm not voting for any of the current options.

    My option would be, "I do it when it's safe. When it's not, I don't."

    Also, "when no cars are coming?" Duh. The reality is that in the city most cyclists "run" lights. Contrary to motorist's perception, they DO look before they go. I'm not saying there isn't the occasional nut who doesn't, but people who don't look wouldn't live long around here.
    I should clarify that this isn't just people looking left and right then blasting through. I also mean those that reach a light, take a right hook with the crossing cars, then left u-turn back around. It's like they think they've found some sort of traffic law loophole. It's really one of the major reasons why I end up passing them at every light, since this particular technique is much slower than just straight running a light, you might as well just stop.

  9. #9
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
    Yes, there's bound to be a car along within the next few hours to trip the sensor - enjoy your nap.
    Naps are good

  10. #10
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved from Commuting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  11. #11
    Super Moderator tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,458
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's too many variables to make hard, fast rules. I'll run a red light if it's silly to sit there - like in the middle of nowhere and you're the only person within a mile, or you know your bike didn't trip the signal, or if there's a dangerous cager behind that you want to get away from (for example, if you caught him/her texting a block ago and you'd like to get a jump on them), or the big German Shepherd just jumped the fence. Under normal circumstances, however, I'm happy to sit til it greens up.
    Community Guidelines
    ****************************************
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyD
    Some people aren't cut out to be ruthless, sociopathic assassins like you and I.

  12. #12
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need a choice that says "Only when the bicycle doesn't trigger the light." That's me.
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  13. #13
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSS View Post
    Cyclists/commuters that run red lights really tick me off, especially slow cyclists. If you're in such hurry that you need to run a red light at least pedal faster you lazy cad. I hate having to continually pass the same d-bag because they run red lights when I stop at them.

    I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but I think if you want your right as a cyclist to ride on a street you need to abide by the same laws as any motor vehicle.

    EDIT: Also I like to treat traffic stops as a chance to rest and get water. It's a built in break.
    raqball said: Agree..

    The other day I must have passed the same guy 12 times.. He runs the red, I wait... I later pass him...

    Next red light, he runs the red, I wait, I later pass him..

    Over and over and over again..
    You guys sound like whining motorist. I passed them once, so I should never have to pass them again. How do guys handle leap frogging city buses? With even more whines?

    GhostSS, come ride with me at 3 am. I want to see how well those Honolulu city and Hawaii state light sensors work for you. How long are you willing to wait at a red light with no cars around. Both Honolulu and Hawaii have refused to adjust the sensors for cyclist. The mayor says it is not possible to even set them for motorcycles.

    Yet the military bases here have figured it out.

    Plus the 'Idaho Stop' data indicates it is safer to treat red lights as a stop sign and stop signs as a yield.

    When Honolulu and Hawaii get with the program of treating cyclist equally, then I will start obeying the laws in Hawaii the same as motorist do (as I do in states and military bases that actually treat cyclist as equals).

    GhostSS, maybe it is you that should ride much harder/faster to make the next light while it is green and your nemesis hits the red. As you note, it takes him a long time to get through the red.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  14. #14
    Senior Member GhostSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    My Bikes
    2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1992 Giant Cadex 980c
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    You guys sound like whining motorist. I passed them once, so I should never have to pass them again. How do guys handle leap frogging city buses? With even more whines?

    GhostSS, come ride with me at 3 am. I want to see how well those Honolulu city and Hawaii state light sensors work for you. How long are you willing to wait at a red light with no cars around. Both Honolulu and Hawaii have refused to adjust the sensors for cyclist. The mayor says it is not possible to even set them for motorcycles.

    Yet the military bases here have figured it out.

    Plus the 'Idaho Stop' data indicates it is safer to treat red lights as a stop sign and stop signs as a yield.

    When Honolulu and Hawaii get with the program of treating cyclist equally, then I will start obeying the laws in Hawaii the same as motorist do (as I do in states and military bases that actually treat cyclist as equals).

    GhostSS, maybe it is you that should ride much harder/faster to make the next light while it is green and your nemesis hits the red. As you note, it takes him a long time to get through the red.

    Since I didn't make the poll show who chose what, I hop red light's if there's no one there. For some reason you sound angry bro, chill out, everyone here knows Hawaii Govt' is a load of bull with everything, not just bikes. I'd ride with you at 3 am and we can both blast all the lights.

  15. #15
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,578
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about "cautiously slip past" (not "run") a red light on a quiet local street while watching around and there is clearly no vehicle or pedestrian in the vicinity? I do that even if I'm in no hurry at all. Only an idiot would wait in such situations . Another case I ride through red light is at T-intersections when I'm riding on the outer side of the top stroke of the "T", and there is no car coming at me. But I avoid "running" a red light just because I'm in a hurry.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    Cyclist want the rules of the road to apply to them, except when they don't want the rules of the road to apply to them...

    It's a red light, you should stop and wait until it's green...

    My .02
    I'll worry about the cyclists who roll the stop signs and run the red lights when the motorists stop doing the same and also learn what a speed limit is.

    I'm also fine with jay walkers and folks playing field hockey in the street, but I'm not a fan of the demolition derby that is currently taking place.

    By the way, I don't run reds unless the light is defective, at which time I am legally crossing against a broken light. It has nothing to do with danger, real or imagined, it's just my own perverse bad habit.

  17. #17
    Junior Member NaturalFork's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the most part .. I always wait at red lights. Around here however there is one light in particular that has a wide shoulder on the right and there is literally ZERO risk in running that light if it is red. No car would ever hit you .. and you would never get in the way. That is the one exeption though. If I want cars to respect me on the road .. you have to in turn respect the road.

  18. #18
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSS View Post
    Cyclists/commuters that run red lights really tick me off, especially slow cyclists.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSS View Post
    Since I didn't make the poll show who chose what, I hop red light's if there's no one there. For some reason you sound angry bro, chill out, everyone here knows Hawaii Govt' is a load of bull with everything, not just bikes. I'd ride with you at 3 am and we can both blast all the lights.
    Your first post is the one that appears to be the one filled with anger.

    And then you post double talk about how you blow red lights.

    I don't care if you run red lights, but why then the whine about other cyclists?
    Last edited by CB HI; 05-08-14 at 12:18 AM.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT, 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    How about "cautiously slip past" (not "run") a red light on a quiet local street while watching around and there is clearly no vehicle or pedestrian in the vicinity? I do that even if I'm in no hurry at all. Only an idiot would wait in such situations . Another case I ride through red light is at T-intersections when I'm riding on the outer side of the top stroke of the "T", and there is no car coming at me. But I avoid "running" a red light just because I'm in a hurry.
    I see this type of turn as a right on red. You are proceeding into the right most lane of traffic, safely (hopefully). I do not usually do it, but I would stop then proceed and if stopped I would argue it is a right on red.

    I did this the other day on accident; I had my head down and was slogging up a hill trying to catch a guy and next thing I knew I was going through the red. I always stop at that light and think why do I not just run it. Why? I want motorists to respect me and not think all cyclists are law breaking ******s.

  20. #20
    covered in cat fur katsrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Willkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I never do it... unless it is an empty street and there is no way to trip it in my favor. Luckily most streets here have walk signals and easy to trip sensors.

    I actually almost hit a kid on my way home from taking my gram to th eye doctor who was running the light. After dark, no lights, no reflectors, dark clothes. All I saw was my headlights on his spokes and face. He got brakes and horn instead of the hood. I hope I scared as much sense into him as he scared me when I thought I was going to hit him.
    Just one of those dirty pinko commies some people worry about.

  21. #21
    Senior Member yote223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    MN.
    My Bikes
    A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's no cars or other hazards, I barely slow down. That goes for both lights and signs. In my town, you will never get anywhere in any half ways reasonable amount of time if you don't. Especially N/S travel. Signs on most every corner. The city gives total favor to E/W traffic.
    Last edited by yote223; 05-08-14 at 01:28 AM.
    It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you're flying with Turkeys
    Charter Member of PSIP Coalition.

  22. #22
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,558
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MHO, everyone who runs a red light or stop sign illegally, should get a ticket, every time! Maybe then it would stop reflecting badly on cyclists. Those who do, are the problem!

    Obey the rules, like everyone else.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, PA, USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Allant
    Posts
    1,527
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stop at red lights. Living in the suburbs, all of the red lights I hit are there for a reason - they're crossing busy roads. I treat them as built-in water breaks.

    One of the most popular reasons for hating bicyclists around here is that they run red lights. By stopping at them, I hope to change some people's opinions, or at least lessen their hate.
    Last edited by spivonious; 05-08-14 at 07:18 AM.

  24. #24
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,009
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A red light is there to be obeyed. There are NO good reasons not to obey the law. Besides when drivers see cyclist whiz thru red lights, they say ----see there cyclist break the law all the time, and it gives all cyclist a bad name.

  25. #25
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,275
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're at the straight part of a T intersection, and nothing coming from the left street to turn left (that would be into the same direction you're travelling), I can't think of any traffic-related reason to stop. No right hooks. No left hooks. No through traffic that you might have missed. Not in anyone's way, not slowing anyone down. Usually there's not even any pedestrian traffic crossing in front at a T (if there was, that would be the one reason to stop). In this one situation, getting across the intersection with less interference with traffic is safer and more convenient for all involved - there is no downside.

    In all other cases there's a valid reason for the stop and I always do.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •