Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-14, 03:00 PM   #1
bikeskiatook
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crossing major Highway

Recently I observed an organized ride traveling east on 126th St N. the route they used crossed Highway 75.. This is major traffic 4 lanes traveling 65mph +. The route could have turned north to 116th and used the new overpass not having to cross traffic... This is not an isolated incident I see riders doing this all to often. Most of use ride for a lot of reasons and a detour of a couple of miles is really no big deal and a WHOLE lot safer.. I would hope anyone reading this will pass this information on to fellow riders, club members etc..
bikeskiatook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 03:16 PM   #2
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeskiatook View Post
Recently I observed an organized ride traveling east on 126th St N. the route they used crossed Highway 75.. This is major traffic 4 lanes traveling 65mph +. The route could have turned north to 116th and used the new overpass not having to cross traffic... This is not an isolated incident I see riders doing this all to often. Most of use ride for a lot of reasons and a detour of a couple of miles is really no big deal and a WHOLE lot safer.. I would hope anyone reading this will pass this information on to fellow riders, club members etc..
If you ask me, I believe it should be left to the rider's judgment, assuming it is legal to cross Highway 75 on 126th St N. If I was there and felt that taking a detour of a couple of miles would be worthwhile, I would do so. OTOH, if I felt I could cross the highway without too much risk, I wouldn't hesitate to do that.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 06:18 PM   #3
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,975
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
IMO rules are different for individuals and small groups of cyclists, than for larger groups and/organized cast of thousands rides.

Individuals can use their street smarts and cross safely (otherwise there wouldn't be an intersection), and small group dynamics usually allow some cooperation so folks don't blindly follow the leader through narrow gaps.

OTOH large group dynamics are very different and follow the leader (aka devil take the hindmost) mentality has folks crossing long after the gap is closed. There's a local pickup ride here with the very bad habit of following the leader through intersections, and they have a long history of riders paying the consequences.

Years ago I witnessed an accident, where a crossing car (with the light) slammed on the brakes to avoid t-boning a rider, but knocked him down anyway, then the car getting broadsided by 2 more riders not able to stop.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 06:37 PM   #4
prathmann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Bikes:
Posts: 6,142
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
On the off chance that the OP is paying attention to this thread, it would help if some indication of city/state/country were given of where this transgression occurred. And contacting the organization that sponsored the ride would be more likely to have results than posting here.

If this is where I think it is (Tulsa, OK), the overpass is pretty new and the ride organizers may not have been aware that it was open yet. And depending on the day and time, the at-grade crossing at 126th doesn't look particularly risky with good sightlines, an island in the middle (so only need to cross 2 lanes at a time), and usually light traffic levels.

Last edited by prathmann; 05-25-14 at 06:51 PM.
prathmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 06:54 PM   #5
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeskiatook View Post
Recently I observed an organized ride traveling east on 126th St N. the route they used crossed Highway 75.. This is major traffic 4 lanes traveling 65mph +. The route could have turned north to 116th and used the new overpass not having to cross traffic... This is not an isolated incident I see riders doing this all to often. Most of use ride for a lot of reasons and a detour of a couple of miles is really no big deal and a WHOLE lot safer.. I would hope anyone reading this will pass this information on to fellow riders, club members etc..
Were they crossing against the lights? With the lights?

Were they crossing through 65mph+ traffic?

Would the 2 mile detour have led to them going through a road network which was safer for such a ride?

I'm afraid that you provide nowhere near enough information for us to even begin to judge whether or not your judgement is correct, let alone pass on your advice to anyone else.
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 07:02 PM   #6
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,975
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
On the off chance that the OP is paying attention to this thread, it would help if some indication of city/state/country were given of where this transgression occurred. And contacting the organization that sponsored the ride would be more likely to have results than posting here.

If this is where I think it is (Tulsa, OK), the overpass is pretty new and the ride organizers may not have been aware that it was open yet. And depending on the day and time, the at-grade crossing at 126th doesn't look particularly risky with good sightlines, an island in the middle (so only need to cross 2 lanes at a time), and usually light traffic levels.
Yes I found the same intersection by searching the rough description. This may be the only case of that mix. but as you point out it's in OK, and the OP is in Seattle.

Specifics really help in road issue posts.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 07:06 PM   #7
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Yes I found the same intersection by searching the rough description. This may be the only case of that mix. but as you point out it's in OK, and the OP is in Seattle.

Specifics really help in road issue posts.
How did you figure that the OP is in Seattle? I'm asking because you may have seen my reply and somehow considered me the OP. As far as I can tell, there is no "126th St N" in or near Seattle.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 07:27 PM   #8
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,975
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
How did you figure that the OP is in Seattle? I'm asking because you may have seen my reply and somehow considered me the OP. As far as I can tell, there is no "126th St N" in or near Seattle.
Yes, when I scrolled back, I stopped one short.

But it would have been nice if the OP was a bit more specific.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 07:53 PM   #9
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Yes, when I scrolled back, I stopped one short.

But it would have been nice if the OP was a bit more specific.
Agreed.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 07:55 PM   #10
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Would have been nice if the OP would not try and tell other cyclists how and where to ride.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 08:00 PM   #11
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Plus, I question if a 50 mph overpass with merging and exiting traffic really is any safer.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 08:09 PM   #12
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Plus, I question if a 50 mph overpass with merging and exiting traffic really is any safer.
It would have been nice if the OP had given us more specifics about the overpass. Some don't have on/off ramps; others are major arterial passes with constant merging and exiting traffic.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 08:25 PM   #13
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,740
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbman View Post
Were they crossing against the lights? With the lights?

Were they crossing through 65mph+ traffic?

Would the 2 mile detour have led to them going through a road network which was safer for such a ride?

I'm afraid that you provide nowhere near enough information for us to even begin to judge whether or not your judgement is correct, let alone pass on your advice to anyone else.
I'm not the OP, but live in NE OK. Though it has been awhile since I've been on that stretch of road, US 75 is a wide, divided 4 lane with wide shoulders and that section is relatively flat and straight. An experienced cyclist or group could handle it with a bit of patience. There were no lights the last time I was up that way.

Hold on... the description is a bit off. 126th is north of 116th, so they couldn't turn north towards 116th.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 08:26 PM   #14
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
It would have been nice if the OP had given us more specifics about the overpass. Some don't have on/off ramps; others are major arterial passes with constant merging and exiting traffic.
If Tulsa, OK is the location, it does have the at speed roadway exit and merges. Tulsa, OK seems to fit, as maps show at design like overpass while the older street view just shows a crossing at 116th.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 02:15 PM   #15
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,147
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Common type of post when posters, for some reason, think they're posting on a local forum and use street and highway names as if the readers know what they're talking about.
Camilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 05:03 PM   #16
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Plus, I question if a 50 mph overpass with merging and exiting traffic really is any safer.
Now you have me thinking. Thinking about one overpass near me. Horrible merge situations when riding. But most important places where you have to KNOW which lane to be in at one point, not to figure it out from some directions.

Not something I'd like to follow a route slip through and something I'd even like trying to write the route slip for even less.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.