Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 91
  1. #51
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    We put up with restrictions on the passenger with alcoholic beverages, so why not the phone?
    Do you? We don't where I come from as far as I'm aware.

    Minor point, I'm proposing a red light on cell voice only not data.
    So if someone is driving while updating their Faceache page that's OK? Frankly I'd rather see a driver with the phone against their ear watching the road, than a phone in their lap watching the phone.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  2. #52
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Cell phones should shut down if traveling faster than 10 mph. To put it bluntly and simply, if the phone call is that damned important, pull over and make it.

    As far as cell phones on trains are concerned, tuff bounce. Blame the irresponsible fools that have killed thousands by talking and texting in cars.
    Maybe it would be a better idea to just ban motor vehicles at all. Inconvenient? Tuff bounce. Blame the irresponsible fools that have killed thousands by not paying attention.

    When do the ever-siller derivatives of ever-bigger hammers to crack a nut stop? If we ban any combination of things that has ever been misused there wouldn't be a whole lot left.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  3. #53
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,760
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Just watched a video taken by a cyclist on her helmet cam, where someone looking down at her cell phone almost walked right onto the cyclist's path. The cyclist had to yell at the pedestrian.
    Reminds me of this article from several years back.

    Padded lampposts for distracted texters being tested in London

  4. #54
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    Reminds me of this article from several years back.

    Padded lampposts for distracted texters being tested in London
    The first sentence of the article says it all...

    "According to a recent report, human beings are becoming so incredibly stupid that they require cushioned lamppost bases so that when they run into them they don't mess up their idiotic faces."
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    1935 Raleigh Sports X,1970 Robin Hood, Flying Pigeon, Ross hi-tec, Schwinn Phantom
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
    We need to be clear about one thing; using a cell phone (talking or texting or ??) while driving endangers others, doing so while riding a bicycle or walking endangers only yourself. That's a huge distinction. I am strongly against any cell phone use while driving.

    For bicycle riders and pedestrians I think we just need to apply some community peer pressure if they're cell phone is causing them not to pay proper attention. The vast majority of cell phone use while riding or walking has zero impact on anyone. A very minor amount becomes an annoyance. That's about it.
    That is a completely false conclusion, a distracted pedestrian or cyclist that forces a motorist to take evasive action puts everyone at risk indirectly, not just themselves.

  6. #56
    Senior Member italktocats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Do you have any data that supports your claim (especially the bolded part)?
    the fact that were all alive, if the impact WAS that great, everyone we know would have been killing by walking phone users

  7. #57
    Senior Member italktocats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
    That is a completely false conclusion, a distracted pedestrian or cyclist that forces a motorist to take evasive action puts everyone at risk indirectly, not just themselves.
    does it?

    only if the motorist isnt paying attention and instead of slowing down just steers into a full crowd of dining people....



    **** happens, no matter how many laws or paranoid people are around...

  8. #58
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by italktocats View Post
    the fact that were all alive, if the impact WAS that great, everyone we know would have been killing by walking phone users
    By the same token, everyone we know would have been killed by driving phone users, but we are all alive...
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  9. #59
    Senior Member WVU_Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Venture
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night riding through my neighborhood I passed a guy riding a mountain bike with no hands, one hand had a beer in it the other a cell phone. He was doing pretty good too.

  10. #60
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WVU_Engineer View Post
    Last night riding through my neighborhood I passed a guy riding a mountain bike with no hands, one hand had a beer in it the other a cell phone. He was doing pretty good too.
    And you survived? You must have been wearing a helmet.

  11. #61
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Just watched a video taken by a cyclist on her helmet cam, where someone looking down at her cell phone almost walked right onto the cyclist's path. The cyclist had to yell at the pedestrian.
    This list has posts from cyclists who believe it is the "rule" (at least on MUPs and trails) to honk/yell a warning at everybody being passed by speedy cyclists who do not wish to slow down; why would such cyclists quit their obnoxious behavior on the street?

  12. #62
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    This list has posts from cyclists who believe it is the "rule" (at least on MUPs and trails) to honk/yell a warning at everybody being passed by speedy cyclists who do not wish to slow down; why would such cyclists quit their obnoxious behavior on the street?
    Are you implying that the cyclist who yelled at the person who suddenly tried to step into her line should have ridden more slowly? As far as I can tell, the cyclist was riding at a fairly slow pace. That's probably why she didn't end up hitting the pedestrian. She yelled, "Watch out!" which I find to be a perfectly reasonable warning for someone who was looking down at her cell phone instead of paying attention to her surroundings.
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  13. #63
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Are you implying that the cyclist who yelled at the person who suddenly tried to step into her line should have ridden more slowly? As far as I can tell, the cyclist was riding at a fairly slow pace. That's probably why she didn't end up hitting the pedestrian. She yelled, "Watch out!" which I find to be a perfectly reasonable warning for someone who was looking down at her cell phone instead of paying attention to her surroundings.
    I am stating that a video of a cyclist yelling at a pedestrian does not make a case for "improper" behavior pedestrian behavior. Any cyclist who maintains high speed and "a line" close to pedestrians in the belief that pedestrians will maintain their own "line" is inexperienced, reckless and/or a fool.

  14. #64
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    I am stating that a video of a cyclist yelling at a pedestrian does not make a case for "improper" behavior pedestrian behavior. Any cyclist who maintains high speed and "a line" close to pedestrians in the belief that pedestrians will maintain their own "line" is inexperienced, reckless and/or a fool.
    Here is the video. I will let you judge it yourself. To me, this case is a pedestrian improper behaviour.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB32...ature=youtu.be
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  15. #65
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,760
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Here is the video. I will let you judge it yourself. To me, this case is a pedestrian improper behaviour.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB32...ature=youtu.be
    Why I probably would be riding in the roadway even though the path was marked for bicycles only. If I was riding on that path, I would have moved further to the right, and generally call out, "Hello there!?"

  16. #66
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,817
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to me, its a case of riding too fast on an MUP, and a clear expectation that if warned pedestrians should get out of the riders way. IMO, MUPs are almost always too narrow and crowed to ride much faster tan walking speed. Thats the nature of MUPs.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  17. #67
    Senior Member CrankyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    423
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Do you have any data that supports your claim (especially the bolded part)?
    Just look at statistics on the number of fatalities (other than the driver) attributed to drivers talking on cell phones and then compare that to the number of fatalities (other than the rider) attributed to a bicycle rider talking on a cell phone.

  18. #68
    Senior Member badrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Here is the video. I will let you judge it yourself. To me, this case is a pedestrian improper behaviour.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB32...ature=youtu.be
    knowing that stretch of seawall at Vancouver's Stanley Park, that is a walk your bike section where the other bikers were walking their bike as per the signs. so the biker(s) riding riding through that section is at fault. Whenever the weather gets nice, the Stanley Park seawall is really not a good place to ride if you want to speed. If she really wanted to bike with speed she should just bike on the adjacent roadway. But she sounded like a chicken anyways sqawkling throughout her video. She has no balls to tackle the hill going up to Prospect point.

  19. #69
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Here is the video. I will let you judge it yourself. To me, this case is a pedestrian improper behaviour.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB32...ature=youtu.be
    From the video, I would say an inexperienced or reckless cyclist who doesn't know enough to not post a record of her foolish behavior on YouTube.

    The video also supports my previous post that "I am stating that a video of a cyclist yelling at a pedestrian does not make a case for "improper" behavior pedestrian behavior."

  20. #70
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    to me, its a case of riding too fast on an MUP, and a clear expectation that if warned pedestrians should get out of the riders way. IMO, MUPs are almost always too narrow and crowed to ride much faster tan walking speed. Thats the nature of MUPs.
    Pedestrians don't always have the right of way. For instance, WA State traffic laws state that "No pedestrian or bicycle shall suddenly leave a curb and move into traffic so that the driver can not stop." The behaviour of the pedestrian in the video applies to this clause, IMO.

    BTW, I've just noticed that the bike path shown in the video has clear "No Pedestrian" markings.
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  21. #71
    Senior Member CrankyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    423
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
    That is a completely false conclusion, a distracted pedestrian or cyclist that forces a motorist to take evasive action puts everyone at risk indirectly, not just themselves.
    If so, there should be some statistics indicating that a fatality was caused by a driver swerving to miss a bicycle rider or pedestrian talking on a cell phone. It's certainly possible, but I'd guess quite rare.

    This isn't to excuse a pedestrian or bicycle rider talking on a cell phone, not paying attention, and doing something stupid that causes other stupid stuff to happen. However, the reality is that the vast majority (likely greater than 99%) of the time that a driver, bicycle rider, or pedestrian uses a cell phone, nothing negative happens. However, when something negative does happen, the driver is, I think, far more likely to cause another's death than the rider or walker.

  22. #72
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    From the video, I would say an inexperienced or reckless cyclist who doesn't know enough to not post a record of her foolish behavior on YouTube.
    Interesting. Which part of her behaviour do you find foolish? I could argue that the first yelling "Watch out!") was probably unnecessary as the cyclist was apparently able to avoid hitting the pedestrian with ease, if that's what you mean.
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  23. #73
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
    This isn't to excuse a pedestrian or bicycle rider talking on a cell phone, not paying attention, and doing something stupid that causes other stupid stuff to happen. However, the reality is that the vast majority (likely greater than 99%) of the time that a driver, bicycle rider, or pedestrian uses a cell phone, nothing negative happens. However, when something negative does happen, the driver is, I think, far more likely to cause another's death than the rider or walker.
    As long as you think so, I'm totally fine with it. I asked you for supporting data before since you stated it as if it was a claim supported by some data or studies.
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

  24. #74
    Senior Member badrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Interesting. Which part of her behaviour do you find foolish? I could argue that the first yelling "Watch out!") was probably unnecessary as the cyclist was apparently able to avoid hitting the pedestrian with ease, if that's what you mean.
    Her foolish behaviour was biking through a walk-your-bike section of the seawall. Then blaming the cyclists that obeyed the rules for impeding her ride. The reason for walking the bike signs in that section is the very thing that almost happen to her - getting knocked off the bike and nearly falling off the seawall into the water.

  25. #75
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,533
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badrad View Post
    Her foolish behaviour was biking through a walk-your-bike section of the seawall. Then blaming the cyclists that obeyed the rules for impeding her ride. The reason for walking the bike signs in that section is the very thing that almost happen to her - getting knocked off the bike and nearly falling off the seawall into the water.
    Okay, I didn't realize that the section of the seawall that showed up later in the video was a walk-your-bike section. That being the case, I agree that it was foolish of the cyclist to have ridden through there.

    I was focusing on the first part where a pedestrian suddenly stepped into the apparently no-pedestrian part of the path and caused the cyclist to yell at the pedestrian - mainly in relation to the topic of this thread.
    Badly-behaved cyclists are usually just cyclists with inadequate infrastructure. Or none at all. - Mikael Colville-Andersen

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •