Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member JameB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cyclist in Critical Condition, Alcohol involved, No charges (yet)!

    Cyclist critical after colliding with vehicle | CTV Winnipeg News

    This has got to be the weirdest article I've read that involved a cyclist. :|

  2. #2
    Senior Member Thulsadoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gouverneur NY
    My Bikes
    2003 BIANCHI VIGORELLI, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE
    Posts
    1,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get it. What do you think is so weird?

  3. #3
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,105
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What motorbike?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,139
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What do you mean -- no charges (yet). From the skimpy article, it appeared the cyclist was the one drinking, not the motorist, and the cyclist who entered a road from an alley. So why the yet?. If anyone were to be charged (based on hospital BAC results) it would be the cyclist. I don't know about Canada, but here in NY it's rare to charge the victim, if there was no serious damage or injury to others.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  5. #5
    Senior Member walrus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting. I hope he gets charged with a DUI. Or an RUI!

    I think dui cyclists, at least here in NYC, are something of an underreported problem. I've been to bars where I've seen people do shots and then go unlock their bike and ride home. I've watched groups of people let a friend go home on a bike after way too many drinks. I just don't get it! Don't people realize that cycling demands that you be as sober as when you drive? I'm sure at least some of those people wouldn't let a drunk friend drive yet they let them go out and cycle. I don't bring my bike out with me if I know I'm going to drink anything more than a beer. If I end up having a few rounds I walk my bike home.

    As an offside I was saw two cops administering a field sobriety test to a ninja cyclist he was failing pretty badly when I left.
    Last edited by walrus1; 07-19-14 at 09:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,139
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's a world of difference between DUI drivers, and DUI cyclists. Drunk drivers kill and injure others, drunk cyclists kill or injure themselves.
    Last edited by FBinNY; 07-19-14 at 09:15 PM.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  7. #7
    Senior Member walrus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    There's a world of difference between DUI drivers, and DUI cyclists. The former have a great capacity to become killers, the latter become victims.
    In terms of destructive potential yes. But DUI cyclists still have the capacity to severely injure or kill themselves and injure pedestrians as well as other cyclists. Plus lets remember due to the risk involved DUI is seen as pretty looked down upon by society and the law.

    Let's just say I have no desire to see leniency for anyone who operates any vehicle when intoxicated. As you point out "an ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure." In many places where a cyclists are also car drivers someone who shows such poor judgment as to ride when drunk might very well repeat that judgment behind the wheel. I'd prefer that they be stopped before they do indeed kill someone.
    Last edited by walrus1; 07-19-14 at 09:25 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    There's a world of difference between DUI drivers, and DUI cyclists. The former have a great capacity to become killers, the latter become victims.
    There is a very great probability that the driver of the car the cyclist hit.... also suffers some trauma from the accident. I heard one motorist that was involved in a similar accident.... report waking up in a cold sweat reliving the accident in a nightmares... even years later.

    The bad thing is drinking is involved in about half of all cycling deaths. Often times it's the cyclist... sometimes the motorist and sometimes both.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may have been on a bike but he is no "cyclist" in my book. Sounds like just another drunk. I don't have any sympathy. He created his own reality.

  10. #10
    Senior Member walrus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    There is a very great probability that the driver of the car the cyclist hit.... also suffers some trauma from the accident. I heard one motorist that was involved in a similar accident.... report waking up in a cold sweat reliving the accident in a nightmares... even years later.

    The bad thing is drinking is involved in about half of all cycling deaths. Often times it's the cyclist... sometimes the motorist and sometimes both.
    Excellent points! I know I'd be horrified if I hit a cyclist even if they were drunk and swerved in front of me. I don't know how I'd handle it if they died. I also didn't think that motorist might injure or kill themselves attempting to avoid a drunk on a bike.

    I've read that motormen on the subway and trains suffer similar symptoms if they hit someone. I remember hearing an NPR report about a suicide by freight train. The driver said that it was horrible the car pulled out in front of him and he just knew he wouldn't stop the train in time. He had to sit their and watch the train hit the car and he said he could see the driver's face. How does a human being get over that?
    Last edited by walrus1; 07-19-14 at 09:38 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member JameB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus1 View Post
    That's interesting. I hope he gets charged with a DUI. Or an RUI!

    I think dui cyclists, at least here in NYC, are something of an underreported problem. I've been to bars where I've seen people do shots and then go unlock their bike and ride home. I've watched groups of people let a friend go home on a bike after way too many drinks. I just don't get it! Don't people realize that cycling demands that you be as sober as when you drive? I'm sure at least some of those people wouldn't let a drunk friend drive yet they let them go out and cycle. I don't bring my bike out with me if I know I'm going to drink anything more than a beer. If I end up having a few rounds I walk my bike home.

    As an offside I was saw two cops administering a field sobriety test to a ninja cyclist he was failing pretty badly when I left.
    Exactly, I'm sorry he got hurt but RUI (LOL) should be a min here! Personally, I've never seen a drunk cyclist so it was weird for me. I mean who thinks about biking when they're drunk?!

    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    What do you mean -- no charges (yet). From the skimpy article, it appeared the cyclist was the one drinking, not the motorist, and the cyclist who entered a road from an alley. So why the yet?. If anyone were to be charged (based on hospital BAC results) it would be the cyclist. I don't know about Canada, but here in NY it's rare to charge the victim, if there was no serious damage or injury to others.
    I'm seeing double standards here. Just because someone doesn't get physically injured, it doesn't mean they're fine mentally. Many people can't even stand to see a drop of blood!

  12. #12
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,956
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one is mentally injured by the actions of another there are civil courts to take care of that, not everything needs to be a criminal matter.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  13. #13
    Gearhead
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Crandall, Ga.
    My Bikes
    1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, 1993 Schwinn Mesa GTX, 1992 Specialized Crossroads, 1986 Giant RS 930, 1984 Giant Rincon, 1978 Schwinn Le Tour, 1986 Bianchi Town Bike, 1984 Univega Sport, 1989 Univega Mountain Bike
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree totally. It is absolutely possible to seriously injure, or kill another person, or persons with a bicycle. In my state (Georgia), bicycles are full-fledged vehicles, as far as the law is concerned, and you can be, and many people have been, convicted of DUI on a bicycle in this state.

    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    There's a world of difference between DUI drivers, and DUI cyclists. Drunk drivers kill and injure others, drunk cyclists kill or injure themselves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •