Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,848
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cyclist fatally shot in execution style in Brooklyn, NYC

    Today in broad daylight noon time:

    NYC cyclist shot in 'well-planned execution'

    A 30-year-old man was fatally shot in the head while he was riding a bicycle in Brooklyn Sunday

    Here is a reader comment:
    Michael T Sweeney • 2 hours ago
    "If you wanted to kill the guy, you're probably better off just hitting him with your SUV than shooting him. NYPD would probably just blame the cyclist if it looked like a traffic accident, but a shooting they'll actually investigate."

    Sometimes riding fast may help save your life.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly a tragic situation, but I'm not sure cycling has anything to do with it. This incident happened in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn and while the city of NYC has vastly improved in the past 20-25 years, there are still certain sections that have a disproportionately high crime rate and Crown Heights is one of them. They suspect the same shooter was responsible for an incident in another area a short time later, although that victim was just injured and not killed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,084
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Sometimes riding fast may help save your life.
    Yeah, keep pedaling hard-- I'm sure you'll outrun those bullets.

    In all seriousness, though, with more and mre assaults on cyclists being reported, it does make some sense to stand on the pedals if things look dodgy. It might not let you dodge a gunshot, but it could keep the pranksters with bats at bay.

  4. #4
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,903
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Today in broad daylight noon time:

    NYC cyclist shot in 'well-planned execution'

    A 30-year-old man was fatally shot in the head while he was riding a bicycle in Brooklyn Sunday

    Here is a reader comment:
    Michael T Sweeney • 2 hours ago
    "If you wanted to kill the guy, you're probably better off just hitting him with your SUV than shooting him. NYPD would probably just blame the cyclist if it looked like a traffic accident, but a shooting they'll actually investigate."

    Sometimes riding fast may help save your life.
    While I don't live in NYC. My condolences to the family of the cyclist who's murder was premeditated.

  5. #5
    Senior Member KD5NRH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stephenville TX
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    Yeah, keep pedaling hard-- I'm sure you'll outrun those bullets.
    Hitting a moving target is an acquired skill. It's a lot harder than it looks, unless the target is moving directly toward or away from you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    13,246
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more guns doesn't mean safer streets
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  7. #7
    Senior Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,084
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5NRH View Post
    Hitting a moving target is an acquired skill. It's a lot harder than it looks, unless the target is moving directly toward or away from you.

    That's probably true, bt I hope to never find out first-hand.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan
    My Bikes
    2014 Genesis GS29 (Yellow Fork)
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    more guns doesn't mean safer streets
    And what does that have to do with anything?

  9. #9
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy just happened to be riding a bike. "The suspect fled the scene in a dark SUV southbound on Pennsylvania Ave". Armed Gunman in Dark SUV's probably means he had it coming for one reason or another.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan
    My Bikes
    2014 Genesis GS29 (Yellow Fork)
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    The guy just happened to be riding a bike. "The suspect fled the scene in a dark SUV southbound on Pennsylvania Ave". Armed Gunman in Dark SUV's probably means he had it coming for one reason or another.
    So if you shoot someone and drive a dark colored SUV you're immune from prosecution?

  11. #11
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxillius View Post
    So if you shoot someone and drive a dark colored SUV you're immune from prosecution?
    the point I was trying to make is as other mentioned him riding a bike was just a coincidence...

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan
    My Bikes
    2014 Genesis GS29 (Yellow Fork)
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yeah. If he wasn't on a bike we'd never know it happened, at least on this forum anyway. But how you worded it made it looked like the cyclist had seriously annoyed a group that whacks people in broad daylight from blacked out SUVs.

  13. #13
    Banned I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    22,106
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxillius View Post
    Ah yeah. If he wasn't on a bike we'd never know it happened, at least on this forum anyway. But how you worded it made it looked like the cyclist had seriously annoyed a group that whacks people in broad daylight from blacked out SUVs.
    Of what relevance is our knowing about this criminal act to either bicycling safety or bicycling advocacy? Another OT topic for A&S ranters to rant about.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed, the headline is a bit misleading, the murder had nothing to do with him being a cyclist.
    I drive by the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn once a week to see my parents and in the day time it's perfectly safe. not the first time someone was gunned down in a pre-meditated fashion in Brooklyn, but the neighborhood has been getting much better in the last 20 yrs.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    While I don't live in NYC. My condolences to the family of the cyclist who's murder was premeditated.
    There's actually nothing to say it was a premeditated act other than the NY Post's anonymous source. The NY Post isn't exactly where you go if you want non-sensationalistic news. Rather, it's where you go for graphic pictures, splashy headlines, etc. It may very well be a premeditated act, but it seems very unlikely to me that someone who would be a murder target -- often, but not always a gang member or at least a known criminal -- would have been riding a bike around Brooklyn.

    The thing that gets me about these stories is that they paint a picture of a random act of violence, when it may not have been random at all.

  16. #16
    Littledog Mark Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Southwest Desert
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant Escape 2
    Posts
    2,868
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread is not about cycling safety or advocacy, much less cycling at all lol . . . . Closed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •