Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet 52 10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped 24 4.80%
I've always worn a helmet 208 41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do 126 25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions 90 18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-14, 03:01 PM   #51
Cyclosaurus
Senior Member
 
Cyclosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Western 'burbs
Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly
Posts: 1,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
If you break "Falls" down into more specific categories, Motor Vehicle crashes are by far the largest single cause of TBI.
True...I made the point earlier that those people should wear helmets too.
Cyclosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-14, 03:14 PM   #52
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,520
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3731 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
True...I made the point earlier that those people should wear helmets too.
Really, everyone should wear a helmet all the time. Just in case. Cycling is a vast minority of TBI compared to other activities. Like sex -- head pounding into the headboard sans helmet is never a good thing... except when it is.

My safe word is "helmet."
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-14, 03:32 PM   #53
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
Here comes the CDC


Children 0-4, Teenagers (15-19), and the Elderly (65+) are the most likely to sustain a TBI.

All of those people should wear helmets all the time. Many hit their head even when they aren't on a bike.
Reason I brought it up, walking to lunch today we saw a guy stumble on the sidewalk (not fall) and I mentioned that it was the most common cause of traumatic brain injury. Then I wondered a) if I remembered that right (I thought 50% so I was only part right) and b) if it was general knowledge among the Helmet Thread gang. I had the same thought as you did, maybe the guy should be wearing a helmet.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-14, 04:22 PM   #54
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Bikes: Lucinda--2010 Jamis Aurora Elite & a few others
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
...
My safe word is "helmet."
My safe word is "mconlonx." It's especially effective since whomever I'm with has to stop and say, "What did you say?"
MMACH 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 08:51 AM   #55
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 6,512
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
But the main point is------------------any injury a helmet prevents is a good thing.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 09:09 AM   #56
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orangevale CA
Bikes: '76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, '98 C'Dale XR800, '04 Burley Samba
Posts: 7,578
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Just curious, does anyone know what is the most common cause of traumatic brain injury?
Worldwide, "lead poisoning" would be a good guess.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 02:41 PM   #57
Joe Minton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Since about 1982, automobiles have been, essentially, helmets. When you enter one of these latter-day wonders, your brain & other lesser parts will be protected against many and even most opportunities for other, lesser objects to cause you cranial harm. The reason your car has a rounded & somewhat padded interior is to reduce peak loading on your brain (such as it may be). The main reason for seat belts & shoulder straps is to keep you from hitting the front of your car & to keep you inside where the padded interior might limit how badly you are hurt. --- The main purpose of air bags is to protect those who don't attach their seat belts.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Minton; 10-25-14 at 03:34 PM.
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 05:07 PM   #58
Mark Stone
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Just curious, does anyone know what is the most common cause of traumatic brain injury?
Ooooh! Oooooh! I know!! Republicans and Democrats!
__________________
**************************
Signature Available Upon Request
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 11:28 PM   #59
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
Here comes the CDC


Children 0-4, Teenagers (15-19), and the Elderly (65+) are the most likely to sustain a TBI.

All of those people should wear helmets all the time. Many hit their head even when they aren't on a bike.
I lost an 'online' friend earlier this year. When he was driving and he was hit by another vehicle. He survived the initial crash enough to tell me via Facebook. I told him to get his posterior to the ER ASAP!! He went into neurosurgery almost immediately. The OR nurse told me at one point, that he had the same condition as a result of the accident. Which I have had all my life. The next message from the OR nurse was that he did not make it out of surgery. The fact that he was in a car, a helmet may have kept him from getting a TBI. It may have also help keep him alive, at least to a certain extent.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-14, 11:32 AM   #60
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
People who disagree with seatbelts and even mandatory seatbelt use are quite different from people who disagree with mandatory bicycle helmet use.
I wear a seatbelt every time because I have read through all the statistics and am convinced that they make a significant difference. I also am aware that there are many, many variables which are out of my control when I am driving. So seat belts make sense for me. But I am against mandatory seatbelt laws simply because I think people should have complete freedom to do what they want as long as it doesn't do harm to others.

I generally don't wear a helmet while riding because I read through all the statistics and am convinced that bicycle helmets are of very little value. Also, on the bicycle, I am generally able to control most of the variables - if I fall it will almost certainly be my own fault and I will take my lumps if/when it happens. So bicycle helmets generally don't make sense for me. And I am against mandatory bicycle helmet laws for exactly the same reason I am against mandatory seat belt laws.
Six jours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-14, 11:45 AM   #61
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Minton View Post
Since about 1982, automobiles have been, essentially, helmets. When you enter one of these latter-day wonders, your brain & other lesser parts will be protected against many and even most opportunities for other, lesser objects to cause you cranial harm. The reason your car has a rounded & somewhat padded interior is to reduce peak loading on your brain (such as it may be). The main reason for seat belts & shoulder straps is to keep you from hitting the front of your car & to keep you inside where the padded interior might limit how badly you are hurt. --- The main purpose of air bags is to protect those who don't attach their seat belts.
And yet 30,000 people die every year in car accidents just in the United States. So it kind of looks like cars don't make very good helmets. If a car driver wants good head protection, there is a vast selection of effective motorsports helmets. For some reason though, even the most passionate of the helmeteers scoff when driving helmets are mentioned. That's actually pretty damning, when you think it through.

As for the notion that airbags are for people who don't wear seatbelts, the NHTSA notes that seatbelt wearers are 26% less likely to die in a car crash when they also have airbags, and that of the several hundred people killed BY airbags, most were unbelted.
Six jours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 08:20 AM   #62
spoiledrotten
Senior Member
 
spoiledrotten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon
Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm fixing to go shop for a helmet this afternoon. Not because I'm scared of falling and hurting myself, but because the government has, again, created laws that restrict my individual freedoms. One of the bike trails that we enjoy riding has a helmet ordinance in place. It's only for the city limits of that city, but it's a place that I have to go through if I ride that trail along the famous Natchez Trace Parkway. And we all know that the government knows what's best for all of us! (last line typed extreme sarcasm)
spoiledrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 09:46 AM   #63
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 25,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledrotten View Post
I'm fixing to go shop for a helmet this afternoon. Not because I'm scared of falling and hurting myself, but because the government has, again, created laws that restrict my individual freedoms. One of the bike trails that we enjoy riding has a helmet ordinance in place. It's only for the city limits of that city, but it's a place that I have to go through if I ride that trail along the famous Natchez Trace Parkway. And we all know that the government knows what's best for all of us! (last line typed extreme sarcasm)
What "government" has this helmet ordinance in place that restricts your freedom, and what does the helmet ordinance require? Reference?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 10:05 AM   #64
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, here we go again. Not that I have anything new to say, it just feels wrong to fail to contribtue to a helmet thread having posted so often in its predecessors.

To summarize: please feel free to wear a helmet if you wish. If you're a mountainbiker tackling technical or challenging trails, definitely wear a full-face helmet. But if you're a roadie and expect the helmet to make a material difference in the event of a collision that might otherwise kill you, you're almost certainly mistaken.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 10:48 AM   #65
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 6,512
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
I guess it is about time I mention an "authority" on cycling safety John Forester. In his book he states that simple falling covers around 80% of cycling accidents. If that is true, then it follows that a helmet is far more effective than the anti helmet crowd is willing to admit.

I wear my helmet even on my trike, altho I really cant fall since I am already down.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 11:26 AM   #66
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
I guess it is about time I mention an "authority" on cycling safety John Forester. In his book he states that simple falling covers around 80% of cycling accidents. If that is true, then it follows that a helmet is far more effective than the anti helmet crowd is willing to admit.
Don't pretend to be stupid. Of course it doesn't "follow". Before you could make such an assertion you would need to know the proportion of simple falls that gave rise to head injuries, the severity of those injuries, the efficacy of helmets in mitigating those effects, and so on and so on.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 11:31 AM   #67
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 25,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
I guess it is about time I mention an "authority" on cycling safety John Forester. In his book he states that simple falling covers around 80% of cycling accidents. If that is true, then it follows that a helmet is far more effective than the anti helmet crowd is willing to admit.
Classic! Rydabent paraphrasing John Forester brand so-called accident statistics and drawing a John Forester type specious conclusion.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 01:27 PM   #68
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,520
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3731 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
...since I am already down.
They've made great strides in depression treatment, these days...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 01:47 PM   #69
spoiledrotten
Senior Member
 
spoiledrotten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon
Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
What "government" has this helmet ordinance in place that restricts your freedom, and what does the helmet ordinance require? Reference?
Local government! What's the issue with you not understanding that city laws/ordinances are government? Do you not have local speed limits set forth by a specific city? Other rules set for by a city? A city is the "local government" that is creating laws that over-ride your beliefs that you know what's better for you than your government does. And that is the freedom that I'm talking about. If you believe that you are safe enough riding without a helmet, but your local government thinks that you will be more safe riding the way they think, then they have taken a freedom away and imposed restrictions on you. Socialism in a form that many don't pay attention to, until it hits them with something they don't agree with. You may be one that won't mount an indoor exercise bike without a helmet, therefore you won't think this is a freedom restricting law, but if your local government stated that you couldn't ride your bike without a full geared football uniform, training wheels on your bike, and that you can't ride faster than 5 MPH, you'd be hollering "damned government!".
spoiledrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 01:54 PM   #70
spoiledrotten
Senior Member
 
spoiledrotten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon
Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
What "government" has this helmet ordinance in place that restricts your freedom, and what does the helmet ordinance require? Reference?
And here is the ordinance:
ORDINANCE OF'THE MAYOR
AND BOARD OF'ALDERMEN OX'

THE CITY
OF RIDGELAND, MISSISSIPPI TO REQUIRE ALL PERSONS

TO WEAR PROTECTIVE HELMETS
\ryHEN RIDING A BICYCLE,

EITHER
AS AN OPERATOR OR A PASSENGER

V/HEREAS, the
Mayor and BoaĦd of Aldermen of the City of Ridgeland are

charged
with the obligation to protect and preserve public health, safety, and welfare;

ffid,

WHEREAS,
research has determined that two-thirds (2/3) of the deaths from

bicycle/vehicle
crashes are from traumatic brain injury; and,

WHEREAS,
one in eight cyclist with reported injuries had a brain injury; and,

WHEREAS,
an estimated 45o/o to 88% of cyclist brain injuries can be prevented

by
a helmet; and,

WHEREAS,
the Mayor and Board of Aldermen of the City of Ridgeland,

Mississippi find
that it would be in the best interest of its citizens that all operators and

passengers
of bicycles within the-public areas of the City of Ridgeland should wear

protective
helmets as a means to protect and preserve the public health, safety and

welfaĦe
of its citizens and visitors.

NOW,
THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED, by the Mayor and Board of Aldermen

of
the City of Ridgeland, Mississippi as follows, to-wit:

Section
l.

It
shall be unlawful for any person to operate, ride, or be a passenger upon a

bicycle on
any highway, street, road, sidewalk, bikeway, trial, or other public property,

unless
that person wears a protective helmet that is properly fitted and fastened. This

requirement shall apply
to a passenger who rides upon a bicycle while in a restraining

seat
which is attached to the bicycle or in a trailer towed by the bicycle.
spoiledrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 03:39 PM   #71
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 6,512
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
I guess I can assume chasm and i like dont like Forester since he doesnt agree with them.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 08:02 PM   #72
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 25,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledrotten View Post
You may be one that won't mount an indoor exercise bike without a helmet, therefore you won't think this is a freedom restricting law, but if your local government stated that you couldn't ride your bike without a full geared football uniform, training wheels on your bike, and that you can't ride faster than 5 MPH, you'd be hollering "damned government!".
Only if I was a raving lunatic.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 08:12 PM   #73
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 25,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledrotten View Post
And here is the ordinance:
ORDINANCE OF'THE MAYOR
AND BOARD OF'ALDERMEN OX'

THE CITY
OF RIDGELAND, MISSISSIPPI TO REQUIRE ALL PERSONS

TO WEAR PROTECTIVE HELMETS
WHEN RIDING A BICYCLE,

EITHER
AS AN OPERATOR OR A PASSENGER

V/HEREAS, the
Mayor and BoaĦd of Aldermen of the City of Ridgeland are

charged
with the obligation to protect and preserve public health, safety, and welfare;

ffid,

WHEREAS...[blah, blah,blah]
Whereas this sounds like a hot air proclamation made to the PTA during a speech, and not any legal code or requirement for anybody to do anything. What penalty is invoked by this evil government to violators of this so-called helmet ordinance?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-14, 05:50 AM   #74
spoiledrotten
Senior Member
 
spoiledrotten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon
Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the sign itself, I didn't see any fine to be imposed if one should fail to conform to the ordinance, then again, they don't post a fine on the stop signs and speed limit signs, but....

"It shall be unlawful for any person to operate, ride, or be a passenger ...."

sounded like pretty strong words and I hate to be the guinea pig that sees how far they go to enforce it.

So now.... truce?? I think we are on the same side. But if not, we can keep going.
spoiledrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-14, 06:23 AM   #75
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 4,362
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
The ordinance is here http://www.ridgelandms.org/wp-conten...ds/HELMET1.pdf, but since the posted copy is unsigned and undated its not clear if it was ever signed into law. Fine for violation is in section 3 Section $25 to $75

According to Municode its been adopted but not yet codified, whatever that means. Wonder if its ever enforced?
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:02 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION