Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Fritz M richardmasoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This press release from the EPA is claiming that the Bike Rack at Cherry Creek Mall in south Denver results in an estimated "reduction of 6,505 vehicle miles traveled daily," corresponding to "a reduction of 245 pounds of pollution every day."

    Are these numbers believable? (and never mind the "bicycles are not vehicles" bias inherent in the article)

    I'm glad for this project and the award that Transportation Solutions received, but they seem to be claiming that there are about a thousand people bicycling to the Cherry Creek area almost every day who otherwise wouldn't if the Bike Rack didn't exist. Can that be for real?

    RFM
    My bike blog -- http://www.masoner.net/bike/index.php4

  2. #2
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,530
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that works out to .0376 pounds of pollutants per driving mile...

    or .6 ounces of pollutants per driving mile...

    That seems like a pretty valid number.

    Just doing some simple thinking... if an auto gets 24MPG and a gallon of fuel weighs 8 pounds (water weight), then over 24 miles one is going to disappate .3 pounds of something per mile...

  3. #3
    Fritz M richardmasoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't thinking about the 245 lbs of pollutants claim, but rather the 6500 vehicle miles per day.

    Say an "average" bike commute in Denver is five miles, with 10 mile round trip. The Cherry Creek Path in Denver is heavily used by bike commuters, but numbers drop off a lot during the cold months, so lets bias the trip by 3/4 (fair weather commuter rides the bike 9 months out of the year, and I'm being generous here I think), resulting in the average bike commuter contributing 7.5 miles to the reduced motor vehicle mileage per day (on average).

    6500 / 7.5 is 867 people bicycling 5 miles one way for three fourths of their trips, all because the Bike Rack facility is there.

    Several people do multi-modal trips, but Denver buses can only carry two bikes at a time, and bikes are banned from the trains during commute hours so the impact of transit won't be all that great, IMO.

    RFM

  4. #4
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the numbers in the figure are annual emissions, based on fuel economy ratings and the average annual mileage driven in the US, or something like that (sorry, original caption lost...)

  5. #5
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,530
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardmasoner
    I wasn't thinking about the 245 lbs of pollutants claim, but rather the 6500 vehicle miles per day.

    Say an "average" bike commute in Denver is five miles, with 10 mile round trip. The Cherry Creek Path in Denver is heavily used by bike commuters, but numbers drop off a lot during the cold months, so lets bias the trip by 3/4 (fair weather commuter rides the bike 9 months out of the year, and I'm being generous here I think), resulting in the average bike commuter contributing 7.5 miles to the reduced motor vehicle mileage per day (on average).

    6500 / 7.5 is 867 people bicycling 5 miles one way for three fourths of their trips, all because the Bike Rack facility is there.

    Several people do multi-modal trips, but Denver buses can only carry two bikes at a time, and bikes are banned from the trains during commute hours so the impact of transit won't be all that great, IMO.

    RFM

    Looks like the only way to verify that is to find out how many visitors the bike rack gets per day.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truth is that most of those people would probably ride regardless of that rack, but who cares if they are tooting their own horn? Regardless of whether the statement on the effectiveness of the rack is true or not, the numbers probably are and that means a reduction in pollution.

  7. #7
    Fritz M richardmasoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec
    Looks like the only way to verify that is to find out how many visitors the bike rack gets per day.
    I talked with somebody who was at IMBA's 24 hours of Washington DC last week. He attended the press conference when the EPA presented the clean air award and was told by TranSolutions the Bike Rack gets anywhere from five to twenty bikes a day.

    6500 vehicle miles divided by 20 bikes is a 325 mile round trip commute. By bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi
    ...who cares if they are tooting their own horn?
    We all lose credibility when funny numbers are used, making it that much more difficult to get funding. That's why I care.

    RFM

  8. #8
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,530
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardmasoner
    I talked with somebody who was at IMBA's 24 hours of Washington DC last week. He attended the press conference when the EPA presented the clean air award and was told by TranSolutions the Bike Rack gets anywhere from five to twenty bikes a day.

    6500 vehicle miles divided by 20 bikes is a 325 mile round trip commute. By bike.



    We all lose credibility when funny numbers are used, making it that much more difficult to get funding. That's why I care.

    RFM

    Man, that is some serious commuting.

    Sounds like someone padded the numbers somehow... and yeah, it does kill credibility.

  9. #9
    meb
    meb is offline
    Senior Member meb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec
    So that works out to .0376 pounds of pollutants per driving mile...

    or .6 ounces of pollutants per driving mile...

    That seems like a pretty valid number.

    Just doing some simple thinking... if an auto gets 24MPG and a gallon of fuel weighs 8 pounds (water weight), then over 24 miles one is going to disappate .3 pounds of something per mile...
    Gasoline is lighter than water. Approximately 6 lbs /gal vs. about 7 lbs/gal for methanol.

    At any rate, only a small portion of the burned fuel turns into polution, so the figures are fluffed way out of line for that mileage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •