Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
  1. #1
    Senior Member asmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Toronto ON CA
    My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Police arrest bike trail trap woman


  2. #2
    Senior Member SalsaShark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Allant, modified Schwinn MTN commuter
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What could possibly be the motive for this, especially for an older woman to be endangering bicyclists?

  3. #3
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,823
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaShark View Post
    What could possibly be the motive for this, especially for an older woman to be endangering bicyclists?
    Maybe her child was killed in a bicycle-pedestrian accident? Can't think of anything else, to be honest.
    It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond

  4. #4
    Senior Member asmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Toronto ON CA
    My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Maybe her child was killed in a bicycle-pedestrian accident? Can't think of anything else, to be honest.
    That's a bit of a stretch. Maybe she fancies herself as an environmentalist and doesn't like those pesky mountain bikers disturbing god's creatures. Maybe she's a mean old lady or maybe just plain nuts. Who knows?

    Come to think of it, my wife is 64 so I'd better be careful with the 'old' part.

  5. #5
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,823
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asmac View Post
    That's a bit of a stretch. Maybe she fancies herself as an environmentalist and doesn't like those pesky mountain bikers disturbing god's creatures. Maybe she's a mean old lady or maybe just plain nuts. Who knows?

    Come to think of it, my wife is 64 so I'd better be careful with the 'old' part.
    I'm sure "old" is the only part that your wife and the crazy environmentalist have in common. Oh, and that they are both women.
    It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond

  6. #6
    Senior Member CliffordK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,968
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt she didn't like sharing her favorite hiking trail with bicyclists.

    Were these "traps" such as putting them next to a blind corner? Or were they speed-bumps that would be clearly visible to the riders, and just mean they have to get off their bike and walk around them?

    How many bicycles are on the trail? I don't mind sharing a hiking trail with a few. Most are courteous. What if there are hundreds or thousands in a day? Do some of the cyclists think they own the trails?

  7. #7
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,383
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaShark View Post
    What could possibly be the motive for this, especially for an older woman to be endangering bicyclists?
    Dare you to go on MTBR and ask that. For some people mountain biking is less about pedaling and more about a war vs. the horsey set for access.
    Genesis 49:17

  8. #8
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,823
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
    How many bicycles are on the trail? I don't mind sharing a hiking trail with a few. Most are courteous. What if there are hundreds or thousands in a day? Do some of the cyclists think they own the trails?
    I don't think any of your questions matter. I'm sure there are some ill-behaving mountain bikers out there. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to share her favourite hiking trail with a bunch of speeding cyclists. None of those should be an excuse for what she did to the other users of the trail.
    It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond

  9. #9
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,554
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Dare you to go on MTBR and ask that. For some people mountain biking is less about pedaling and more about a war vs. the horsey set for access.
    Hmmm....Going through the trail pics. Why would an equestrian want to go on that trail. It looks like a death trap for a horse.

  10. #10
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,579
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And why wont the police release the video????

  11. #11
    Senior Member CliffordK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,968
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    I don't think any of your questions matter. I'm sure there are some ill-behaving mountain bikers out there. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to share her favourite hiking trail with a bunch of speeding cyclists. None of those should be an excuse for what she did to the other users of the trail.
    It makes a huge difference if she actually put thought into the so-called traps, and whether they were designed to be an annoyance, or were designed to be an actual danger to trail users.

    Usually local governments regulate trails for the best use of the users. So, for example, here in Eugene, in town there are a few prime hiking trails that are off limit to mountain bikes. This, of course, pushes them into other regions where they may clash with other trail users.

    If an MTB rider can't stop for a stick in the trail, are they able to stop for a pedestrian or a pet?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT:(deceased, 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These are steep technical downhill trails. Not good for horses.

    There seem to be not in my backyard people out here, that is my guess.

    Most of the bikers I know of are responsible and they tend to and look after their trails. Annual clubs trail repair days and the such.

  13. #13
    Senior Member CliffordK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,968
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    Hmmm....Going through the trail pics. Why would an equestrian want to go on that trail. It looks like a death trap for a horse.
    Hmmm... Looking up "Mt. Fromme trails" on Google Images, the terrain doesn't look too bad for horses, they can go up and down hills ok, although some riders get squeamish with steep drop-offs. Trails seem to be listed by MTB difficulty which would indicate that some have less severe gradients. Bare rocks are sometimes a problem.

    If the images on Google are from that area, there are a huge number of course obstacles that have been built up specifically for MTBs.

    Is this public land?

    Who is building all the MTB obstacles?

    Did MTBs take over the whole mountain? HOW?

    I could imagine some contention with non MTB locals wishing to go out for an afternoon walk.

    Hmmm, looking at this page:
    Vancouver Hiking - Mount Fromme
    It looks like there are some beautiful hiking trails in the area. At least there were at one time.

    Everything else seems to indicate that the mountain has just been taken over by the mountain bikes.
    Mt. Fromme - A Mountain Biking Overview near North Vancouver, BC - a mountain biking trail

    Even Wikipedia seems to have a page that only mentions mountain bike activity.
    Mount Fromme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The more I read, I have no doubt there could be problems brewing between mountain bikes and locals.
    Last edited by CliffordK; 01-08-15 at 12:38 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member daihard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,823
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
    It makes a huge difference if she actually put thought into the so-called traps, and whether they were designed to be an annoyance, or were designed to be an actual danger to trail users.

    Usually local governments regulate trails for the best use of the users. So, for example, here in Eugene, in town there are a few prime hiking trails that are off limit to mountain bikes. This, of course, pushes them into other regions where they may clash with other trail users.

    If an MTB rider can't stop for a stick in the trail, are they able to stop for a pedestrian or a pet?
    According to the RCMP:

    "These are serious charges. These are public trails and one should not interfere with the lawful enjoyment of the trails and set up traps or obstacles to potentially endanger the lives of people using them."
    I interpret this to mean that the police believe those traps she placed potentially endanger the trail users. It also implies that the mountain bikers are allowed on the trail in question.

    And apparently, most of the mountain bikers were capable of stopping for those obstacles. The RCMP is also quoted as saying, "Fortunately no one was seriously hurt or injured in these incidents."
    It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond

  15. #15
    Senior Member CliffordK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,968
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyduck View Post
    Most of the bikers I know of are responsible and they tend to and look after their trails. Annual clubs trail repair days and the such.
    Are these on public property? Who's trails?

    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    I interpret this to mean that the police believe those traps she placed potentially endanger the trail users. It also implies that the mountain bikers are allowed on the trail in question.

    And apparently, most of the mountain bikers were capable of stopping for those obstacles. The RCMP is also quoted as saying, "Fortunately no one was seriously hurt or injured in these incidents."
    There are no pictures of the actual "traps". No videos of cyclists almost colliding with one. And no detailed descriptions of the "traps".

    Ok, following some of the links in the article.
    Rope found strung across Nanaimo trail at neck level - British Columbia - CBC News
    Wire snags Saanich mountain biker by the throat - British Columbia - CBC News

    No details if similar "traps" were on the trails from the story. I was thinking more like dragging a few branches and logs across the trail to make a few extra trail obstacles. The neck ropes being put up elsewhere sound downright malicious.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    2,685
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is never a good reason to endanger others. But I'd think most cyclists should be less than surprised that many non-cyclist have no love for cyclists. In fact many people actually hate sharing trails, paths, and roads with cyclists.

    I don't think we cyclists deserve the negative rap we get from so many. But with decades of finger-flipping, and rude behavior, I am not at all surprised that some crazy old lady threw some sticks and rock on a trail.

  17. #17
    Daily Rider Robert C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Salt lake, UT
    My Bikes
    This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.
    Posts
    1,108
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Maybe her child was killed in a bicycle-pedestrian accident? Can't think of anything else, to be honest.
    Why do we always try to find a "child related" justification when a woman does something evil? As if it somehow excuses her choices. . .

    Men also love their children and women can be evil nut jobs. The rigid gender roles that people try to apply do not always fit. . . She might just be an evil person.
    As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906

  18. #18
    Senior Member asmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Toronto ON CA
    My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    And why wont the police release the video????
    Maybe because it's evidence to be released in court.

  19. #19
    Senior Member asmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Toronto ON CA
    My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    I'm sure "old" is the only part that your wife and the crazy environmentalist have in common. Oh, and that they are both women.
    Is 64 'old'? Maybe to a young fella like you...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, PA, USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Allant
    Posts
    1,744
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand why she wouldn't want mountain bikers on shared trails, since they tend to go fast (that's kind of the point) and it definitely disturbs any serenity sought after by hikers. But setting up logs and trip wires is not the way to go about getting bikes off the trail.

  21. #21
    Resident smartass. Fargo Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    North Shore News story:
    North Vancouver woman accused of setting traps for mountain bikers - News - North Shore News

    A lot of the animosity towards mountain bikers has been based on claims of environmental damage. This was partly true. For many years, it was actually illegal to ride your bike, or even construct trails in the area. The latter was done anyway and you had to REALLY know someone, as well as do everything possible, to keep trail locations secret.

    In later years, the attitudes began to change, as mountain bike groups, The District of N. Vancouver, The City of N. Vancouver and The City of W. Vancouver started working together to create legitimate and legal mountain bike trails. At the time, there was some fierce opposition from residents and some heated confrontations (I believe there are some on YouTube). In the end, The trails were developed and have evolved into the network of today and for all abilities. Still that doesn't mean everyone is happy, as this incident shows.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    2015 Trek 7.3
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ridiculous, and I hope they treat her the same as any 20-year old punk pulling the same crap. Age should not excuse the severity of the issue.

  23. #23
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    23,564
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    There is never a good reason to endanger others. But I'd think most cyclists should be less than surprised that many non-cyclist have no love for cyclists. In fact many people actually hate sharing trails, paths, and roads with cyclists.

    I don't think we cyclists deserve the negative rap we get from so many. But with decades of finger-flipping, and rude behavior, I am not at all surprised that some crazy old lady threw some sticks and rock on a trail.
    All it takes is a few encounters with some real rude cyclists for folks to form opinions that "all" cyclists are bad. We see the same thing on the road... where even the most law abiding cyclist gets immediately lumped right in their with the red light running ninja cyclists.

    Basic generalizations and a bit of bigotry toward a particular class... pretty darn common, actually... couple it with a superiority complex and a determination to "fix things..." and viola ---> trap setting bike hater.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,863
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
    No doubt she didn't like sharing her favorite hiking trail with bicyclists.

    Were these "traps" such as putting them next to a blind corner? Or were they speed-bumps that would be clearly visible to the riders, and just mean they have to get off their bike and walk around them?

    How many bicycles are on the trail? I don't mind sharing a hiking trail with a few. Most are courteous. What if there are hundreds or thousands in a day? Do some of the cyclists think they own the trails?
    Looking at the video of the trail I don't think the issue is numbers as much as some riders really bombing down the trail.

    Looking at the signage for the trail I'm inclined to think that lower Skull was created fro biking. (Having it shown as double diamond, like the ski run designations is why I think that).

    As I see it who created a trail and what it was intended for makes a difference. Bombing down a trail built for that and likely built by the guys who want ot bomb down is quite different than bombing down a trail that was built 100 years ago for foot traffic.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT:(deceased, 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith99 View Post
    Looking at the video of the trail I don't think the issue is numbers as much as some riders really bombing down the trail.

    Looking at the signage for the trail I'm inclined to think that lower Skull was created fro biking. (Having it shown as double diamond, like the ski run designations is why I think that).

    As I see it who created a trail and what it was intended for makes a difference. Bombing down a trail built for that and likely built by the guys who want ot bomb down is quite different than bombing down a trail that was built 100 years ago for foot traffic.
    Bingo!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •