Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    2 mph so everyone sees me nugenhipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    banana seat for tandem frame?

    hey- at my local bike co-op, we have a slightly altered tandem frame. now i dont know much about tandems, but it only has one set of cranks/bb etc. some of the guys at the co-op were discussing making it into a kind of stretch-lowrider. my question is- i need to either find or make a banana seat that is long enough to go from the front seat tube to the rear steering tube. i looked at banana seats for 26" bikes, i guess theyre about 22" long in some cases. does anyone think this is long enough?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pleasanton Tx
    My Bikes
    old,older.and very old
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question has me guessing at parts of it???
    I have two tandems one is 26" between seat tubes--the other is 22"
    Did you mean the tandem frame is missing a set of cranks?and bb.which one?or only was made with a single BB??
    a long bannana seat would be cool on a kustom tandem---maybe take two banna seat pans ,cut one in half and braze the center section of the second on in,and recover.

  3. #3
    2 mph so everyone sees me nugenhipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frameteam2003
    Your question has me guessing at parts of it???
    I have two tandems one is 26" between seat tubes--the other is 22"
    Did you mean the tandem frame is missing a set of cranks?and bb.which one?or only was made with a single BB??
    a long bannana seat would be cool on a kustom tandem---maybe take two banna seat pans ,cut one in half and braze the center section of the second on in,and recover.
    it was only made with a single bottom bracket. i dont do any metal fab yet, ill have to look into a custom one if others dont fit...

  4. #4
    The Legitimiser Sammyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    My Bikes
    Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
    Posts
    4,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would be cool would be to have the seat reach from the rear seatpost to the front seatpost, and then to have a huge, looping pair of ape hangers which curved back to you. You'd have to custom fab the seat though. You can make an aluminium seatpan with just a set of hammers and dollies for forming.

  5. #5
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a rear steering tube?

    I like these, my buddy has one:

    The front seat is kinda banana-ish. To put a real banana seat on the front, you'd need to find a way to attach the sissy bar to the strokers part of the frame, probably about midway down the top tube. It wouldn't work very well because the ends of the sissy bars would be too close together where they attach and would probably bend under the weight of an adult rider. They might be in the way of the strokers cranks/feet too. I like sammys idea of making one really long banana seat, that along with some huge ape hangers for both stroker and captain would be sweet.
    Last edited by kemmer; 01-26-07 at 10:54 AM.

  6. #6
    2 mph so everyone sees me nugenhipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kemmer
    I like sammys idea of making one really long banana seat, that along with some huge ape hangers for both stroker and captain would be sweet.
    thats what i was originally thinking, one long seat. only one set of bars, i want it to just be a really long single-seater...

  7. #7
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nugenhipsta
    thats what i was originally thinking, one long seat. only one set of bars, i want it to just be a really long single-seater...
    Wait, so like a tandem modified for one rider? Do it, that would be the ****.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •