'79 Mongoose Motomag frame and fork (cut down)
Kenda Tires (NOS)
Mongoose Team Stainless bars (Thanks for the repair Rodz Repair)
Mongoose Team Stainless post
Mongoose Team Gold stem (refinished)
Mongoose Team grips (NOS)
Quilted mongoose seat
Dura-Ace cranks(cut down)
Union pedals / chain (NOS)
Mongoose stamped headset / clamp (NOS)
Custom Hack (C4Labs)
CNC'd wheels (Richmand Technologies)
This project was brainstormed at the Rockford banquet last year from Pep's idea to do a pit hack after we won with the '85 Haro Master pit. It took almost 4 months just to figure out how to make the wheels and we spent a month reforming 20" mags with little success. Rod Miles at Rodz repair was there with advice and ideas right from the start, but all options seemed impractical or too expensive. Luckily after I wanted to give up, John DeBruin (Richmand Technologies) sent a (5 axis CNC machine shop) business card to me with a frame he needed powder coated. I won't go into specifics, but we made a deal that took more then 6 months and help from 9 other members at VBMX (Keep_it_ warm Tom helping the most) to complete. I still needed CNC programing and finish work I couldn't afford. Gary Bisle (another customer I have) just happens to be very talented in the programing end and was a tremendous help with that part after I offered services to him. With the wheels out of the way I thought it would be easy, but it was only the start of many challenges. I purchased a complete 80 Motomag in great survivor condition to use as a base, but couldn't bring myself to even repaint it. We also wanted something 70's. After finding 3 badly beat and broken Motomag frames, we spliced them together in the 16" size using as much of a '79 as we could. I wanted an original Littlejohn hack and had heard there were a few broken ones out there, but even those I found out, are highly prized for there rarity. In this case it was only right to fabricate one from scratch. I never realized how much welding and tube fitment it would take to get it right. Gary (another well known customer and hack collector) was vital in providing key dimensions and photos to complete this phase. With the hack and frame mocked up, we chased parts for the rest of the year. Stephen Beven, Ginni Rinni, Rod Miles, and Ebay got us everything we needed to insure it would be correct as possible. Lee Barube (one of my decal designers) was able to use designs Pep (my web designer) drew up for the decals. Last of the challenges was the cranks. The 165ís I had just didn't look right and I don't believe they made Dura-Aceís any shorter. We used the Jig we made last year for the Haro Pit 400ís to cut and shorten them to 152ís. I was trying to avoid doing this because I thought solid Aluminum with the groove would take too much time to clean up. I have to mention James Tobin (huge early freestyle collector and good friend) for all the advice along the way, and he convinced me to cut the cranks. My father and a local machine shop I work with got them done in 2 days. My Father was more then a big help throughout the whole thing. I think this was the best part of it. He was working at the shop for hours with me almost every week all year to help get it done, and even stayed with me until morning the last night before we shipped it out for the Rockford show. I can't thank him enough. Big thanks to everyone who helped out, no way we could have done it all ourselves.
This is just one of about 7 bikes we have cut down for special projects and are still working on a few more. other pits include, a '78 Torker, 2 '85 Haro Masters, and an early Hutch Trickstar. We don't normally focus on doing custom fab work for customers, but we like to provide examples to show what we are capable of once or twice a year. We primarily focus on powdercoating bicycle frames and all our equipment is highly calibrated and custom designed for that. We don't even except much else. Once I learn this site's culture and have my web site refinished, I'll have a lot more to share.