Hey fellas just thought I'd show you my latest project. I posted this in the recumbent section but they don't seem interested judging by the poor showing . Oh well, I'm just gonna condense all my "updates" into one post and then expect small updates from now on
It's a mild steel spaceframe construction with aluminium seat, indirect USS and generally uncompromised in terms of its practicality.
Here's a list of my parts for this build.
-110bcd Tiagra crank and external BB
-65t Egg chainring
-Wipperman 908 chain x 3
-Midcage Deore LX derailiur (may change to long cage due to idle pully issues)
-32 hole Velocity Aeroheat rim (406)
-Deore MTB hub
-9 speed 105 cluster
-Used Tioga Comp-Pool tyre
-32 hole Velocity Sim rim x2 (349's)
-Sturmy Archer drum brakes x 2
-Primo Comet tyres
-Custom Mild steel steering handles
-9 speed indexed thumb shifter
-2nd hand aluminium brake levers
-Aluminium solid tie rods
Here's a snapshot of the build so far;
The crossmember before being tacked to the kingpin mounts. Put together in a jig with all angles etc. doesn't look much now....
....but eventually the rest of the crossmember and boom is tacked together and all is well . The chainline passes through the middle of the crossmember.
The dropouts, chain stays (if you'd call them that) and rails are tacked together. Starting to look like it's worth it at this stage.
Roller/idle pully cage is tacked and so the chainline can be mounted. Dummy chain etc all carefully fitted out. I then took some measurements to guage the height of my seat, with a bit extra added to insure chainslap doesn't annoy me everytime I ride. I'm quite happy with the path the chain follows- very tidy and flat for what it is
Seat is on! Took a little work. I should've built a jig to get it within a bee's dick of perfect, yet was too lazy at the time. I regreted it later when I found my bum rest was 5mm lower on one side to the other. Had to cut and shut which too many hours. Even then I'm still not happy, yet I want to move on. I will cut this seat off in the distant future and redo it. At the moment though as far as I know it's just an aesthetic thing. Doesn't matter.
Also of note is that the frame is fully zipped up in this pic. Thanx to Jason for lending me his time and his MIG.
Steering handle mounts are....mounted, to the frame. Frame was painted using an epoxy based pressure pack. Seat is aluminium sheet. I bashed it around the seat frame with a sculpting hammer, resulting in a scalloped seat. Very stiff and, from "test sits", it's going to be a very comfy seat!
I have the chainline on!
Doesn't seem to work well as I need to fiddle with the derailiur to produce the right tension off the return idle-pully. The chain just doesn't wanna sit in it . I will get on to it tonight. Steering handles are mountable now, but still need work to make fully functional. That's it for now.