Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member Fremdchen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    2007 Schwinn Super Sport Ultra 1
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Scraper Bikes on NPR

    You can hear the Weekend Edition segment and see pics at the link below. Personally I admire the ingenuity of these kids!

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=94318161

  2. #2
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that. The story is kind of worthless w/o pics tho

  3. #3
    straight-edge, not sexy
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randya View Post
    I heard that. The story is kind of worthless w/o pics tho
    Check the link again. There is a photo gallery with lots of pics.

  4. #4
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't see the pics on the radio tho

  5. #5
    straight-edge, not sexy
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, no doubt. When I was making major commutes the past few years I listened to NPR all the time. I think shows like This American Life actually benefit from the radio medium, although the Showtime series is very good as well.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Fremdchen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    2007 Schwinn Super Sport Ultra 1
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randya View Post
    can't see the pics on the radio tho
    They even mentioned the online photo gallery on the air, during the segment.

  7. #7
    peaced out deez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's the link to the photo gallery

    http://www.californiareport.org/slid...ikes/index.jsp

    some really cool lookin ghetto bikes and a neat article too. The idea seems to be to dress up a junker with Rattle Can paint jobs and Shiny foil Candy Wrappers. Some of the paint jobs are very well done even if you don't take into account that they have very little to work with in terms of supplies and $$.

    I'm not sure if I get how the scraper thing works...you put on wheels that are too big for the bike and it looks cool. I can dig that much, but I don't get how they are doing it...I mean you can't just slap a 26" wheel on a 20" frame/fork can ya? would a 24" fit in a 20"? Or perhaps they're taking 24" and putting a 26" or 700c...

    I wonder...

    **edit**
    funny I've been toying with the idea of converting my 26" stretch cruiser to 700c just for fun.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sledbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deez View Post
    here's the link to the photo gallery

    http://www.californiareport.org/slid...ikes/index.jsp

    some really cool lookin ghetto bikes and a neat article too. The idea seems to be to dress up a junker with Rattle Can paint jobs and Shiny foil Candy Wrappers. Some of the paint jobs are very well done even if you don't take into account that they have very little to work with in terms of supplies and $$.

    I'm not sure if I get how the scraper thing works...you put on wheels that are too big for the bike and it looks cool. I can dig that much, but I don't get how they are doing it...I mean you can't just slap a 26" wheel on a 20" frame/fork can ya? would a 24" fit in a 20"? Or perhaps they're taking 24" and putting a 26" or 700c...

    I wonder...

    **edit**
    funny I've been toying with the idea of converting my 26" stretch cruiser to 700c just for fun.
    look at picture number 8 the answer is there
    riding and pimpin again

  9. #9
    peaced out deez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the pictures, I asked because I honestly don't know...if you do know could you just like let me into the club please.

  10. #10
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe the term 'scraper' refers to big wheels rubbing inside the small frames, they never explained the origin of the term in the story AFAICT

  11. #11
    Car Free Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City Utah
    My Bikes
    lots of old bikes
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought a scraper was When a bike is so low that the pedals scrape the ground as you ride.

  12. #12
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that was a low rider


  13. #13
    peaced out deez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they say in the article that the term 'scraper' comes from the 'Scraper' cars that dudes around there drive. They take a POS car and put HUUUUUGE wheels on it and paint the car body and the wheels the same color usually.

    These kids applied that to bikes.

    I'm just wondering what wheel sizes they are using on what size frames. It kinda looks to me like 24" frames with 26" wheels but it could be 26" wearing 700c's.

  14. #14
    Senior Member juggleaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . the quotes . . . lol, i actually think the bmx frame with the road tires looks kinda neat. . . don't know how you'd RIDE it, but . . . it looks cool : P

  15. #15
    Senior Member Sledbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deez View Post
    Yeah they say in the article that the term 'scraper' comes from the 'Scraper' cars that dudes around there drive. They take a POS car and put HUUUUUGE wheels on it and paint the car body and the wheels the same color usually.

    These kids applied that to bikes.

    I'm just wondering what wheel sizes they are using on what size frames. It kinda looks to me like 24" frames with 26" wheels but it could be 26" wearing 700c's.
    kinda like lowrider bikes take a Pos and make it as nonfunctional as possible, its a 20 with 26 i talked to king champ yesterday. we dont have Scrappers around here we do have Swagger or Swagga bikes.

    as for the term scrapper its taking the springs out of the car and dipping the back hard so it scrapes
    riding and pimpin again

  16. #16
    peaced out deez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as for the term scrapper its taking the springs out of the car and dipping the back hard so it scrapes

    The article the OP linked to says otherwise, I'm just going by that

  17. #17
    Senior Member Sledbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deez View Post
    The article the OP linked to says otherwise, I'm just going by that
    do you believe everything Fox news reports on too?
    riding and pimpin again

  18. #18
    Senior Member Fremdchen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    2007 Schwinn Super Sport Ultra 1
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that a "scraper" is a car w/ outsize wheels put on it - so big they scrape the wheel wells.

  19. #19
    peaced out deez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledbikes View Post
    do you believe everything Fox news reports on too?

    Why do you ask?

  20. #20
    Senior Member jonsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Yellow Nashbar fixed gear conversion, Cannondale T800, Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scraper bikes rule.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these kids need and xtra cycle or two. In the last pic they have car speakers attached to the bike very haphazardly. They would go nuts over what Rock the bike does. I think with an xtra cycle or two they could really get the subs and speakers on and really get poppin.

    anyone see a Pimp my bike tv show in the works? I can see it

  22. #22
    n0oBie thedips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    torrance
    My Bikes
    LOOK!!!
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fremdchen View Post
    My understanding is that a "scraper" is a car w/ outsize wheels put on it - so big they scrape the wheel wells.
    actually after living in north oakland /berkeley and going to school there.. you cant help but notice scrapers everywhere... it was actually kinda awesome

    1.SCRAPER
    A Scraper is a late 80's to late 90's General Motors made (affordable) luxury car with rims so big (20-22") that the tires rub the inside of the fender and frame. The most common Scraper is made by Buick and includes Regals, Centurys, Park ave's, and Le Sabres. Oldsmobile Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme's, and 88's as well as Pontiac Bonnevilles, and the ugliest one of all, a Chevy Lumina are all considered Scrapers when ridin' on 20's.

    Bass in the trunk is a must, but the tint, whistle and suction tips, dvd screens, and candy paint is all optional. The way you set your car up seperates your whip from all the other scrapers out there. That's why you will probably never see 2 identical Scrapers. The term derived from the fact that when one dips or presses the gas and steps on the brake simultaneously the front and back bumpers SCRAPE the ground.
    LOOK / BMC / CERVELO / BRIDGESTONE / TREK / COLNAGO

  23. #23
    Senior Member Sledbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedips View Post
    actually after living in north oakland /berkeley and going to school there.. you cant help but notice scrapers everywhere... it was actually kinda awesome

    1.SCRAPER
    A Scraper is a late 80's to late 90's General Motors made (affordable) luxury car with rims so big (20-22") that the tires rub the inside of the fender and frame. The most common Scraper is made by Buick and includes Regals, Centurys, Park ave's, and Le Sabres. Oldsmobile Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme's, and 88's as well as Pontiac Bonnevilles, and the ugliest one of all, a Chevy Lumina are all considered Scrapers when ridin' on 20's.

    Bass in the trunk is a must, but the tint, whistle and suction tips, dvd screens, and candy paint is all optional. The way you set your car up seperates your whip from all the other scrapers out there. That's why you will probably never see 2 identical Scrapers. The term derived from the fact that when one dips or presses the gas and steps on the brake simultaneously the front and back bumpers SCRAPE the ground.
    this is what
    Scraper means not the above
    riding and pimpin again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •