Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Formula cartridge bearings

    A few weeks ago I test drove a new bike that had Formula cartridge bearings. During the test ride I was aware of a very subtle dry rubbing sound in the front end. I kept getting off and lifting the bike up to spin the front tire to try see what was rubbing. Once back at the dealer he told me this was common, and that as the bike was broken in the sound would disappear. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Was the dealer truthful or just trying to make a sale? Thanks John

  2. #2
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W Foster View Post
    A few weeks ago I test drove a new bike that had Formula cartridge bearings. During the test ride I was aware of a very subtle dry rubbing sound in the front end. I kept getting off and lifting the bike up to spin the front tire to try see what was rubbing. Once back at the dealer he told me this was common, and that as the bike was broken in the sound would disappear. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Was the dealer truthful or just trying to make a sale? Thanks John
    If it rubs, I've learned it's not a really cool thing.

    Stereo speakers or bearings.


    Reminded me of the bearings in a Huffy Cranbrook I had to endure. Dead in two days. Talk to his supervisor or run like Prefontaine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be that one or a few bearings have imperfections on them when manufactured, but as they rub against each other over time that will smooth them out. Nothing is for certain though, it could also be that something else is wrong.

  4. #4
    :)
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    duluth
    My Bikes
    '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
    Posts
    3,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like what was happening to my wheel right before I had a bearing seize up.

    Or it could just be a fluke.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dextor View Post
    It could be that one or a few bearings have imperfections on them when manufactured, but as they rub against each other over time that will smooth them out. Nothing is for certain though, it could also be that something else is wrong.
    That's no good either, if bearings smooth each other out, the excess metal that got rubbed off is still stuck inside your hub grinding stuff up.

  6. #6
    B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider orange leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northfield, MN
    My Bikes
    1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant allegre (track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By front end, i'm assuming you mean hub? It [I]could[I just be a cartidge seal rubbing, or the hub gasket. Ive had those make squeeking noises, a smidge of grease and it went away. but if it rubs too much without being remedied, the seal will fail, allowing in contaminants (possibly parts of the seal itself) thus causing a failure of one or more bearings.
    Rudimentum mendum menda
    Iudicium mendiosus
    Judicium per erratum
    Judicium et erratum!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dokydoky View Post
    That's no good either, if bearings smooth each other out, the excess metal that got rubbed off is still stuck inside your hub grinding stuff up.
    That would most likely turn into "paste"-like substance as it combines with the grease, and would be part of the normal wear process. That's not to say it's good for that to happen. If the unit wasn't sealed the user would need to occasionally overhaul the hub and bearings for this very reason, also other contaminants in the grease.

    To the OP: maybe there isn't enough grease the bearing, you said "dry-rubbing" sound.

  8. #8
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the case of my loaned Huffy and the Next that fell apart in 7 months and led to the Western Flyer that was stolen before I got Tempest (still around, hope to have some major pics to show eventually)...

    PLASTIC BEARINGS.

    This Formula isn't related to the hub that was on my late, stolen 1995 Schwinn Cruiser SS, is it?THAT one was more than excellent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •